Garmin XT and Sena 20s

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Garmin XT and Sena 20s

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

I messed with connecting my phone (Samsung Galaxy 10+) and Sena 20s to my Garmin XT last year. I kept getting static and clicking noises when making phone calls. It looks like that's all cleared up now in time for the California trip.

I went into the Bluetooth settings of the XT and the phone and chose all the previous paired connections and deleted them all. You click on each paired connection and choose "forget connection" or "unpair" (however your device words it).

Now we're starting with a clean slate with the XT and Sena20s powered off and Bluetooth turned off on my phone. I first turned on the XT and made sure Bluetooth was turned on. Then I turned the Bluetooth on for my phone (Samsung 10+) and in the Bluetooth menu on the Garmin XT, I chose to search for a new Bluetooth device. After several seconds, the phone connected to the XT. I opened the Garmin Drive app on my phone. I was able to see the weather radar, etc. on the XT The phone and XT are now paired correctly.

Now for the connection of the Sena 20s.... The trick here is the Sena needs to connect to the XT as a second phone and not as a GPS. Power on the Sena and hold the jog dial button in until you hear "Intercom Pairing". Within 2 seconds you have to press the phone button on the Sena and you will hear "2nd Phone Pairing". In the Bluetooth menu of the XT, select "Search for a New Bluetooth Device" again and after several seconds, the Sena with pair with the XT.

After pairing all three devices using this method, everything works flawlessly. You might ask, why go to all this trouble every time you head out for a ride? Uhhh, You only do this once folks in order to pair the devices with each other correctly. You don't have to pair these devices every time you ride. When I turn the devices back on after a shutdown, I power up the XT, make sure Bluetooth is turned on, Turn Bluetooth on on my phone and wait until the phone connects to the XT, Then power on the Sena and wait for it to connect to the XT. This all happens in a fairly short period of time.

No more crackling and ticking sounds during phone calls. I would imagine you pair a Cardo to the XT in a similar way.

Now I'm able to do so much on the Garmin XT screen. I can make and receive phone calls which are shown on the XT. Receive text messages on the XT, but not reply to them. Listen to music. See the weather and weather radar live. Check traffic and of course get GPS driving directions while seeing the routes on the XT screen. All of this while talking on the intercom. Shouldn't be distracting at all....... :lol:
Last edited by FJRPittsburgh on Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilJet09 and wheatonFJR loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Re: Garmin XT and Sena 20s

Post by Festus »

FJRPittsburgh wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:36 pm After pairing all three devices using this method, everything works flawlessly. You might ask, why go to all this trouble every time you head out for a ride? Uhhh, You only do this once folks in order to pair the devices with each other correctly. You don't have to pair these devices every time you ride. When I turn the devices back on after a shutdown, I power up the XT, make sure Bluetooth is turned on, Turn Bluetooth on on my phone and wait until the phone connects to the XT, Then power on the Sena and wait for it to connect to the XT. This all happens in a fairly short period of time.
It's cute that you think it's going to stay like that :)
wheatonFJR and FJRPittsburgh loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Festus wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:49 pm
FJRPittsburgh wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:36 pm After pairing all three devices using this method, everything works flawlessly. You might ask, why go to all this trouble every time you head out for a ride? Uhhh, You only do this once folks in order to pair the devices with each other correctly. You don't have to pair these devices every time you ride. When I turn the devices back on after a shutdown, I power up the XT, make sure Bluetooth is turned on, Turn Bluetooth on on my phone and wait until the phone connects to the XT, Then power on the Sena and wait for it to connect to the XT. This all happens in a fairly short period of time.
It's cute that you think it's going to stay like that :)
I think it will. And if it doesn't, I know how to refer to my post here and reconfigure it. And if my 2nd gear goes to hell, I'm bring it to you to repair.
Cav47 and wheatonFJR loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
Niehart
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Niehart »

Thx's.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

You know I'm just busting on you. That's a helpful thread to post up. I went back through and set mine up from the beginning a couple months ago. For some reason, which only SENA know, it just can't keep the connections sorted so it requires that reset you did every so often.

Try and break 3rd gear, I haven't done one of those yet :)
Cav47, wheatonFJR, and FJRPittsburgh loved this

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Of course I know what you're doing. It's all good. I hear 2nd is much easier to break.

It's funny because after meeting you a few times, I never knew about the whole Jolene fiasco. I stumbled on the Jolene thread last week and read every word of it. You are my new hero. Very impressive work.
wheatonFJR loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

FJRPittsburgh wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:36 pm Of course I know what you're doing. It's all good. I hear 2nd is much easier to break.

It's funny because after meeting you a few times, I never knew about the whole Jolene fiasco. I stumbled on the Jolene thread last week and read every word of it. You are my new hero. Very impressive work.
Story of my life, people are impressed after knowing me for years :mrgreen:
FJRPittsburgh loved this

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Festus wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:36 pm
FJRPittsburgh wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:36 pm Of course I know what you're doing. It's all good. I hear 2nd is much easier to break.

Story of my life, people are impressed after knowing me for years :mrgreen:
Im not, and I've known you for years.

But that's okay...yer still okay to ride with. :zombwobb:
Festus loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

No need to shut bluetooth off on your phone for subsequent connections.... also found it helpful to turn on GPS first, then the Sena.....
I've since gone to Cardo........
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

raYzerman wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:00 am No need to shut bluetooth off on your phone for subsequent connections.... also found it helpful to turn on GPS first, then the Sena.....
I've since gone to Cardo........
In my experience, Cardo works the same. Start XT, allow it to pair with phone, then start Cardo and allow it to pair with XT.

DO NOT ALSO PAIR PHONE TO CARDO!

Pairing phone to both Cardo and XT will result in frequent Bluetooth generated conflicts and user frustration! DAMHIK!
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!