Fixed my drifting problem

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Fixed my drifting problem

Post by Festus »

Several years ago, I mentioned that when I take my hands off the bars, my bike pulls to the left pretty seriously. I've tried everything. I've ridden with empty bags, no bags, and everything else I could think of. Nothing worked. Take your hands off the bar and you're going left, quickly.

In my search for new a new tire/brand, I ran across a video of a guy in the UK who just switched to a new tire and he said his previous tires pulled to one side really hard and it drove him nuts. He had taken his new bike to the dealer to have it checked and they said nothing was wrong with it, yet it pulled hard to one direction. Something happened and he needed new tires in a hurry and had to change brands. Said once he did that, it solved the problem.

Shortly after seeing that video, I saw several posts online from FJR owners saying the same thing. I was excited to think that changing my tires might solve this issue but not overly optimistic that it would resolve it.

Had my tires put on yesterday, took it for a spin and took my hands off the bars and it tracked straight. Problem solved.

I have been through 7 or 8 sets of Pirelli Angel GT's. A Spec once or twice and non A spec the rest of the times. All pulled.

I never would have thought with changing tires that many times that it would be a tire issue, but apparently it is. Perhaps it's in the tread pattern? I don't know, but I do know it's tracking nice now.
danh600, Blueridgerider, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Full House
FJRModel: 2010

Re: Fixed my drifting problem

Post by Full House »

Had that problem in a pickup truck once. Local repair shop said it is probably a bad tire. He suggested switching front tires side to side. That caused it to pull the other way. Replaced tires , problem solved. Related to motorcycle? Could be .
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Festus wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:05 am Several years ago, I mentioned that when I take my hands off the bars, my bike pulls to the left pretty seriously. I've tried everything. I've ridden with empty bags, no bags, and everything else I could think of. Nothing worked. Take your hands off the bar and you're going left, quickly.

In my search for new a new tire/brand, I ran across a video of a guy in the UK who just switched to a new tire and he said his previous tires pulled to one side really hard and it drove him nuts. He had taken his new bike to the dealer to have it checked and they said nothing was wrong with it, yet it pulled hard to one direction. Something happened and he needed new tires in a hurry and had to change brands. Said once he did that, it solved the problem.

Shortly after seeing that video, I saw several posts online from FJR owners saying the same thing. I was excited to think that changing my tires might solve this issue but not overly optimistic that it would resolve it.

Had my tires put on yesterday, took it for a spin and took my hands off the bars and it tracked straight. Problem solved.

I have been through 7 or 8 sets of Pirelli Angel GT's. A Spec once or twice and non A spec the rest of the times. All pulled.

I never would have thought with changing tires that many times that it would be a tire issue, but apparently it is. Perhaps it's in the tread pattern? I don't know, but I do know it's tracking nice now.
So, what tire solved the problem?? :?:
N4HHE loved this
Pappy 09AE
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

Dunlop Roadsmart 4.
FJRPittsburgh, Bugnatr, Blueridgerider and 4 others loved this

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Shoot...I thought there was gonna be some cool two-wheeled drifting video of you through curves...
Powerman and gixxerjasen loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:59 am Shoot...I thought there was gonna be some cool two-wheeled drifting video of you through curves...
Nope, you stopped riding. I don't have anyone to chase.

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Festus wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:21 am
wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:59 am Shoot...I thought there was gonna be some cool two-wheeled drifting video of you through curves...
I thought you and ole Taylor Swifty were riding these daze...
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:43 pm
Festus wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:21 am
I thought you and ole Taylor Swifty were riding these daze...
Hard to chase someone that’s behind you 😁
wheatonFJR loved this