Cruise control sporadic issue..

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Cruise control sporadic issue..

Post by CollingsBob »

If I ride for a while with the cruise control on, but no speed set, when I do try and set a speed - it won’t. The cruise control light will come on, but I can’t set a speed. If I turn the cruise off and ride for a while, I can then turn cruise on and set a speed.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Re: Cruise control sporadic issue..

Post by Festus »

Did you have that brake switch recall done?
N4HHE loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CollingsBob »

Festus wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:43 pm Did you have that brake switch recall done?
Yes…this issue only started recently..The brake switch and second gear recall were done in 2021
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

CollingsBob wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:00 pm
Festus wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:43 pm Did you have that brake switch recall done?
Yes…this issue only started recently..The brake switch and second gear recall were done in 2021
When did you last clean/lube the rear brake pivot?
Clutch switch too... I don't think there is any maintenance for that but a spritz with contact cleaner might help.
(assuming it isn't sealed - not sure)
CollingsBob loved this
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Brake recall or not, first thing I'd do is apply the front brake lightly then push the brake lever forward. If that enables CC function then try lubing the pivot, and if that doesn't work reliably go back to the dealer who did the recall because that you can toggle the front brake and enable CC means the brake light switch is sticking. You want to make sure it isn't the brake lever itself causing the problem before troubling the dealer.

Sadly we don't have a brake light indicator on the dashboard to tell us when our brake lights are illuminated. Possibly you have an intercom to other riders who could tell you?
bungie4 loved this
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CollingsBob »

N4HHE wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:20 pm Brake recall or not, first thing I'd do is apply the front brake lightly then push the brake lever forward. If that enables CC function then try lubing the pivot, and if that doesn't work reliably go back to the dealer who did the recall because that you can toggle the front brake and enable CC means the brake light switch is sticking. You want to make sure it isn't the brake lever itself causing the problem before troubling the dealer.

Sadly we don't have a brake light indicator on the dashboard to tell us when our brake lights are illuminated. Possibly you have an intercom to other riders who could tell you?
Hmmmm..the dealer who did the recall is a 3 day ride, slightly over 2000km away. I think I’ll try lubing the clutch & brake pivots first.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

There are a number of things it can be.... see this list below from the FSM, this is accessed via the diagnostics menu... oh wait, only on 2013-15. It's in yours too, but 2016-up has OBD, so no diagnostics via the cluster.... would have to have dealer computer most likely, I don't think any cheap OBD reader will give you this info...... anyway....... it's a matter of checking all the brake/clutch switches, making sure the rear pedal isn't sticking as they commonly need greasing (or you're inadvertently applying brakes... you can adjust the switch)..... I'd spray contact cleaner in the clutch and brake switches to rinse out any dirt particles that may prevent the plungers from returning, you can hear the switches click as you pull the levers if you have your hearing aids in, in your case. :o :lol:

The other thing is, speed signals from the ABS wheel sensors may be weak or off..... sometimes they get corroded because the adapter plates are raw aluminum inside the hole (not painted), and aluminum corrosion can bridge to the sensor. Remove sensors, clean them up, along with the hole, and smear dielectric grease in the hole and on the plastic adapter of the sensor...

CollingsBob loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CollingsBob »

Thanks Ray!
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CollingsBob »

Today I cleaned and re-lubed the clutch & brake lever pivots. Seems to have resolved the issue
LKLD, BikerGeek, bigjohnsd and 4 others loved this