RIP Ionbeam - 10/7/23

This subforum will contain memorial posts and memories of those members who have departed but live on in the stories shared here.
Forum rules
This subforum is listed in the public area - no log in is required to view; please keep that in mind when posting here.
Panman
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Re: RIP Ionbeam - 10/7/23

Post by Panman »

Very sad indeed, only meet/read Alan thru the forums and liked him thru what I read. Rest in peace Mr Ionbeam!
Last edited by Panman on Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheatonFJR loved this
huron52
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by huron52 »

All I got is Damn Damn Damn!
wheatonFJR loved this
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

One thing comes to mind to me. His last discussion on this forum where he said how sick he had been and mentioned he was on experimental drugs and they were providing some relief. Even when he was so ill, he was trying to help others by testing out new things. I am positive that his input into that side of things will result in someone's life being saved. Even in his roughest times, he was working to help someone else. Someone else he'd never met. In my limited knowledge of him, I believe that's exactly who he was. A completely selfless person. Pretty amazing.
PhilJet09, Hppants, FastPappy and 5 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
BikerGeek
Veteran

Post by BikerGeek »

Damn.

Damn damn damn damn damn.

Alan was one of the first people I met at our first EOM in 2008. He was one of the people I really wanted to meet and he was so dang kind and fun and interesting to chat with, especially when he talked about his work. I kinda knew most of the words that were coming out of his mouth but I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about most of the time.

It was always great seeing Alan and Helen at the various FJR gatherings through the years. He will be missed. This one's a gut punch.

RIP, my friend.
Steel_Gin, Viper_Dad, FastPappy and 11 others loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Great photo of a smiling Alan. Damn, he had SO MANY interesting stories left to tell. He IS an OG of the FJR world.
boatanchor, 3rd class.
BikerGeek
Veteran

Post by BikerGeek »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:15 pm Great photo of a smiling Alan. Damn, he had SO MANY interesting stories left to tell. He IS an OG of the FJR world.
Yep. And he was an Original NERD for sure.
bungie4, Road Runner, Niehart and 4 others loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

BikerGeek wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:01 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:15 pm Great photo of a smiling Alan. Damn, he had SO MANY interesting stories left to tell. He IS an OG of the FJR world.
Yep. And he was an Original NERD for sure.
For a little contrast, consider the following posted by Mr. Beam himself, back in 2021...
Same shit-eating grin!

Steel_Gin, FastPappy, bungie4 and 9 others loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

I've searched for it and haven't found it posted yet. I'll check in a few days.
wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:01 am Cancer SUCKS!

If someone finds his obituary, please post a link.
I am not home at the moment, but when I do get home I will post photos of him and Helen from 2009 when we met in Sag Harbor, NY.
wheatonFJR loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 15ES

Post by CraigRegs »

Never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but I’ve enjoyed and benefited from his contributions to the FJR community. Rest in peace and condolences to his family and friends.
wheatonFJR loved this
Craig
----------------
...the Pursuit of Happiness
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Sad news
I enjoyed our technical talks at a few meetings.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I'm sorry to read this and learn of his passing. I suppose there is some consolation in the fact that he is no longer suffering, which I'm quite certain he undoubtedly was.

As Festus eludes, I"ll follow Alan's example and continue to help one another. Life is too short, man....
Steel_Gin, bigjohnsd, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

fjrob
Veteran
FJRModel: 03

Post by fjrob »

My condolences to his family and friends.
#1 frost back!!!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hppants wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:56 pm I'm sorry to read this and learn of his passing. I suppose there is some consolation in the fact that he is no longer suffering, which I'm quite certain he undoubtedly was.

As Festus eludes, I"ll follow Alan's example and continue to help one another. Life is too short, man....
Almost exactly a year ago, I PMd Alan because I did not have his phone number...and was very concerned after not hearing from him on the board in almost a year prior to that. He graciously reply'd to my PM in his cordial non-chalant manner, asked about Louanne and was looking forward to riding in 2023.

The text of his PM from a year ago indicated that he had already lost 50% of his body weight...and he was not obese. To have him struggle on for another year shows that though he may have been mild mannered, he sure put up a hell of a fight. I don't pretend to be his close friend...because I'm sure he had many closer to him. But he was my friend and I am going to miss this smart smart-aleck for the ages.

...And yes, he is going to be riding in 2023, knowing him...it will also include a speed run down the dragstrip at insanely high speeds.

I'd tell him to rest in peace, but I think he is going to be twisting that throttle so hard that even an ionbeam can't catch him.
Last edited by wheatonFJR on Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FastPappy, Hppants, bigjohnsd and 2 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

First time I met Alan/ionbeam. May of 2009.
Helen is to the left, and Jude (another friggin Canadian!) was off to the right.

We all were in Sag Harbor, NY paying our respects to this man...

Son of this man, Chris Haerter

Group photo in front of Jordan's bridge.
FJRPittsburgh, Pterodactyl, Road Runner and 8 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

Nerds was one of the first rides I did on my FJR and got to meet Alan early on. Sharp as can be and a real gentleman. Rest in peace brother.
0face, BikerGeek, FJRPittsburgh and 2 others loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Damn...just saw this. RIP Alan
wheatonFJR loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

I never had the pleasure of meeting Alan, he helped me figure out a problem on Gray Ghost One once. He was/is both highly thought of and an important contributer to this forum.

This group has stepped up and helped others in similar situations in the past. Is there something we can do in Alan's memory?

Is there someone with a personal relationship that might be willing to coordinate?

Standing by to contribute. RIP Alan.
Hppants and Intech loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Many thanks for everyone's kind words about Alan. He fought bravely for 2 years thru 4 different chemo regimens - 2 experimental - but it was an aggressive form of cancer. His only symptom was he was feeling fatigued and short of breath, so went to Urgent Care, where they discovered his hemoglobin was so low they called an ambulance.

I love the pictures - he was always so happy at these group events and on our rides thru New England with fellow NERDS.

I would like to put together an obituary if anyone would like to contribute. We met in 1975 at Bell and Howell. He was a QA inspector and secretly fixed my assembly errors - for which I had to pay him in Black Russians.

Love to all - Helen (Mrs. Ionbeam)
tominca, Uncle Hud, Steel_Gin and 15 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Helen,
Thanks for posting. You have been through a VERY rough go, and we feel sad about Alan...but for those of us who have met you, our hearts are also broken for you. I only knew Alan from afar...but I loved his sense of humor and wry statements. I am glad that he is not in pain and misery any longer...but I sincerely hoped for more good time with Alan...if he was healthy. I've written enough and not well...but please know I am sad for you. I wish you healing and good shared memories of yours and Alan's time together.

Mark/wheaton
Road Runner, Intech, and FJRPittsburgh loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
FeeJeR Fred
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300ES

Post by FeeJeR Fred »

Managed to recover my old password to this forum when I heard (on the other one) that Helen had posted here. Thanks, Ross, for the cross post.

As many of you know, Alan was a very big part of the New England area FJR scene, which was very active for a great number of years. From back around 2007, we’ve had lots of weekend day rides, many weekends away, and 5 or 6 NERDS rally's in Stowe, and Alan and Helen were always right in the center of it, always there on one of their 2 FJR’s with the “2 FUN” license plate.

They were the first other FJR riders that I ever met when I got my first FJR in 2006. I came up from behind them on route 107 in Deerfield, NH and they waved me by. Later, Alan sought me out on the forum, and we became good riding friends. Usually 2-up with Helen and Josie on the back. In time other couples joined in and formed a close group. We even got together at least once each NE winter for a Drive-to-eat just to catch up and make plans for following riding season.

Things had cooled off with the NE group lately. Joann and I moved up from southern NH to central Vermont back in 2020, and with the pandemic restrictions the group get-togethers ceased altogether. Most of the other couples have become busy with other things in their lives and we just haven’t had a get together since.

We knew about Alan’s cancer, but were hopeful from his email reports. It was very sad to hear the final news from Helen earler this month. He will be missed by his many local and distant forum friends alike.
polarize, El Toro Joe, extrememarine and 12 others loved this
- Fred W