RR - Tech Day XXVII & some SEO and TOH mixed in…

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

RR - Tech Day XXVII & some SEO and TOH mixed in…

Post by extrememarine »

Tech Day XXVII & some SEO and TOH mixed in…

October 2nd, 2024 - More Choppa’s or “Where the hell did the summer go??”
The summer has evaporated and September has been a disaster - work travel and other commitments forced the forfeit of our annual EOM gathering trip. These things do not make for a tolerable Wayne (well, according to Annette at least)... Bikergeek posted and is hosting the fall techday the first weekend in October. “You should go” was the mandate from the home front, and when I suggested adding a few days to the front end, “You definitely should do that.” was the response I had no intention of questioning.

AND what better way to spend a sunny day on two wheels working south and east than folding in a few Tour Of Honor rally stops? None. There is nothing better - especially when you haven’t ridden locally but a few times all summer.

Reservations made, routes drafted and adult supervision coordinated - I hit the road around 11am Wednesday, October 2nd. I sliced through Detroit and hung a left in Toledo.

File this under “things you see in Detroit”

Carrying on the helicopter theme, I headed along the Lake Erie shore towards Camp Perry - home of the CMP - Civilian Marksmanship Program and the famous Camp Perry national match ranges. There were 2 TOH memorials on display at Camp Perry - H833 (a UH1 Huey) and H834 (a Cobra). Both of these aircraft were very well intact - something I’ve noticed isn’t the case with most public aircraft static displays. My guess is that most VFW’s, American Legion Posts, etc. would have the displays raped and pillaged if they were this complete; file that under, “ this is why we can’t have nice things.”. Camp Perry is an open campus, but I imagine the security that is present is a deterrent. The Cobra cockpit had most, if not all, of the flight controls in place, along with the 20mm gatling gun turrent in the nose and rocket / missile pods on the port and starboard sides.

Onward - southbound. The next stop was at H254 outside Holmesville, Ohio at the American Legion Post 551 This Huey display is more on par with what you see at these public displays - a fairly stripped down air frame - but it’s there and I’m sure a point of pride for members of the post.

Time to make tracks south - OH83 flowed well and dumped me out in Zanesville, Ohio. A difficult choice was in front of me; the “easy” option included I-70 East to I-77 South to Caldwell. OR the “fun” option that included the northern half of OH555 and a portion of OH78. If you know, you know. It all came rushing back - throttle induced lightness of the front end over crests, the uncertainty as to the direction of the road beyond a blind crest. This type of riding is a rush for me. It’s challenging, an element of unknown, and blind trust in your machine and self. The miles dissolved as quickly as the daylight.

https://attacktheroad.com/piwigo/_data/ ... e19-me.jpg

https://attacktheroad.com/piwigo/_data/ ... 683-me.jpg

Tomorrow, we absorb some of Southeast Ohio’s Flat, Straight, and Boring roads… Along with a TOH stop or two…

Thursday, October 3rd, 2024.

FJRVFR met me in Caldwell, Ohio. The Days Inn there offers newer, well kept rooms with super friendly staff and absurdly affordable room rates. The plan for thursday was to explore a section of Southeast Ohio east of Caldwell and north of Woodsfield. This is an area that I don’t often reach into when staying in Marietta. Holy Smokes - what an exceptionally entertaining area to venture through on two wheels! We did notice an abundance of deer during the morning. No shorts staining encounters, but it was important to keep scanning keenly through the shadows for movement.

We stopped for lunch in Beallsville and then on towards the river and another TOH site near Sardis, Ohio. This was one of the 5 official state memorials for 2024 and was located just outside of Sardis, Ohio.

From there, we were treated to OH255, but in the opposite direction from what I’ve normally traversed it. I did stop for a moment to get a picture and text it to Mr. Wheaton to let him know one of his favorite roads was in tip-top shape.

We finished the 257-ish mile day with a quick walk to Lori’s Diner for dinner. The weather could not have been better - although Mark will likely remember to pack his heated gear next time.

Friday, October 4th, 2024.

Time to make tracks for Tech Day in Marysville. With the exception of one close encounter with a semi pulling a construction office (think single wide mobile home size of a trailer) down the middle of OH78, we had a tremendous morning. Temps were a tad nippy at the start - 46 degrees - yet another reminder of the value heated gear brings to the equation. We followed OH78 to Nelsonville, then onto OH56 towards Circleville. We split up just south of Columbus; I headed towards TOH stops in Groveport and Pickerington.

Motts Military Museum had 2 TOH helicopters on display. These were in a display area behind the museum building along with many other aircraft, vehicles and memorials. I snapped pictures of the Huey and Cobra along with touring the museum. It’s well worth the modest admission fee. I spent an hour there between walking through the display and getting the TOH pictures.

I arrived at casa de Geek around 2pm. I checked in and set up my accommodations for the evening. I had coordinated meeting Designflaw06 in Toledo before I added the SE Ohio portion of this outing, so I headed north around 4pm. The auxiliary lights I have reduce the potential for harvesting venison on the way to LZ Geek…

I did visit another helo on the way in Marion, Ohio as well as a few other TOH memorials nearby in the city.

Patiently awaiting the arrival…

The ride south from Toledo was uneventful. We were now “FJR(s), party of 3” - BBbrowles joined Designflaw on the way. We fueled up before leaving Toledo - We made good time and arrived at Tech Day central after dark, but without being able to fill Rayzerman’s request for some medium well venison. Sorry to disappoint (not).

Designflaw was directed into service bay 1, and his bike was stripped down faster than an Escalade parked in Detroit… This really was my fault - I failed to conduct the appropriate pre-tech day discussion. The blue 2006 was in fair need of tires. Next time, we’ll have a tech day before tech day… 🙂

One of the final actions of the Friday evening festivities was to summon D-Eagle. Bikergeek had that covered - this is kinda like shining the bat signal… Don showed up a little over 12 hours later.

Saturday morning, Designflaw and myself made the trip to IronPony to get his tires squared away while the crew worked through the valve check on his bike. There was a fork service with spring upgrade completed on bbbrowles 2007 as well, along with a few other projects.

I was slightly distracted by the orange peel version of a Scrambler 1200XE. Tim tackled me before I made it to the finance office with his credit card though, so back to Marysville we went, new-bike-less, but with that new tire smell filling the Jeep…

The Honey-Jack signal was answered - here we see Designflaw and D-Eagle keeping the spark alive, or negotiating for big spoon. The conversation must have been going well based on the smiles…

Why did it take so long to button up the Designflaw06 once the valve check was done??

It was a grand day overall - the sooze kept us all well fed. The conversation was exceptionally entertaining as always. Andy said this, and he was spot on - it was true for me as well - boy, it was good to see everyone and I really needed this.

Sunday, October 6th, 2024.

There were family commitments on all of our calendars for Sunday, so it was an early departure; I packed up my lodging and the 3 amigos rolled north just after 7am. The sunrise was spectacular, even though it was slightly over our shoulders.

I arrived home to a package on the workbench; my recognition for efforts exerted back in April at the beginning of the Tour of Honor Rally - 3rd place leaves some room for improvement next year, but I’m still pretty proud of what I was able to accomplish after the initial “false start”...

Auburn, PhilJet09, BikerGeek and 12 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: RR - Tech Day XXVII & some SEO and TOH mixed in…

Post by wheatonFJR »

Well done...and I'm sure you rock and rolled on OH255.
extrememarine loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Indeed, you are an honorable man, Wayne.

Great report - I'm glad you had a good ride.
extrememarine loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Hppants wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:19 am Great report - I'm glad you had a good ride.
It was a learning experience - some of my miscellaneous rides notes included these two fun facts:

1 - A front tire on an FJR has ZERO percent (0.00%) traction for cornering if it is not touching the road surface.

and

2 - A single wide mobile trailer office building being pulled by a semi will occupy the majority of a two lane road's width.
danh600, Cav47, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Great ride report. You got a lot done in a few days. I was happy I got to ride a few hours with you and Tim Sunday morning. Geeks surrounding area is beautiful in the morning sun.
Sooze loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

That was a beautiful ride on the way out Sunday morning - I wish I could have snapped a picture of the sun rise. Still not able to fill Rayzerman's request for venison...
D-Eagle wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 1:27 pm Great ride report. You got a lot done in a few days. I was happy I got to ride a few hours with you and Tim Sunday morning. Geeks surrounding area is beautiful in the morning sun.
Ride There!

IBA#60836

DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Mark it as one of the rare occasions that you were riding with me and not getting poured on.

We did send Annette into a small panic with this:

But then she yelled at me for not being a more adultier adult than her husband.
Sooze, BikerGeek, Hppants and 3 others loved this
TimDog!
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Great ride report. Sorry I missed the shenanigans.
extrememarine loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
RIP 1911
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

What did not help was the picture I sent here with the caption, "sorry I missed your call, it's taking longer to get the paperwork done than I anticpated. I liked the orange better than the blue one..."

Her response was something like, "who left you unsupervised?? "
DesignFlaw06 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:30 am Mark it as one of the rare occasions that you were riding with me and not getting poured on.

We did send Annette into a small panic with this:

But then she yelled at me for not being a more adultier adult than her husband.
CraigRegs, El Toro Joe, Full House and 3 others loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Intech wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:30 am Great ride report. Sorry I missed the shenanigans.
"REALLY?!?"
BikerGeek, El Toro Joe, and Hppants loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

vzhq16
Squid
FJRModel: 2016

Post by vzhq16 »

What a cool experience! My first FJR Tech Day! I coupled the ride to experience the Triple Nickel and to check out the gang at BikerGeek99's place and, I must say, I was impressed. The level of expertise that the collective contains is beyond reproach. The sparkling conversation was just icing on the cake.

Many thanks to all there but especially to the Grand Canadian Invasion Farce for their wit, whizdumb and kind assistance with the throttle body sync. She's never run smoother. :bowdown:

-Kev
Sooze, BikerGeek, El Toro Joe and 4 others loved this
Never use 4 wheels when 2 will do
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

vzhq16 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 1:14 pm What a cool experience! My first FJR Tech Day! I coupled the ride to experience the Triple Nickel and to check out the gang at BikerGeek99's place and, I must say, I was impressed. The level of expertise that the collective contains is beyond reproach. The sparkling conversation was just icing on the cake.

Many thanks to all there but especially to the Grand Canadian Invasion Farce for their wit, whizdumb and kind assistance with the throttle body sync. She's never run smoother. :bowdown:

-Kev
I hope your bike didn't get too dirty!
Sooze, vzhq16, raYzerman and 1 others loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

~G woulda been pleasantly jealous and amazed.....
FJRPittsburgh, escapefjrtist, and BikerGeek loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:23 am ~G woulda been pleasantly jealous and amazed.....
I still have PTSD from that bike.

IYKYK

JSNS
FJRPittsburgh, Bugnatr, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:23 am ~G woulda been pleasantly jealous and amazed.....
Is there a new "standard" I need to be aware of? :) 8-)

~G
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Not sure exactly, but let's just say if there is one, from 6 feet away it would be a tie!
BikerGeek, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
vzhq16
Squid
FJRModel: 2016

Post by vzhq16 »

FJRPittsburgh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 5:35 pm
vzhq16 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 1:14 pm What a cool experience! My first FJR Tech Day! I coupled the ride to experience the Triple Nickel and to check out the gang at BikerGeek99's place and, I must say, I was impressed. The level of expertise that the collective contains is beyond reproach. The sparkling conversation was just icing on the cake.

-Kev
I hope your bike didn't get too dirty!
Not to worry! As soon as I got her home (or she got me home, depending on perspective) I gave her a thorough rub down and a fresh coat of TurtleWax Hybrid Ceramic protectant. She must shine!
FJRPittsburgh loved this
Never use 4 wheels when 2 will do
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:18 pm Well done...and I'm sure you rock and rolled on OH255.
I had time to pull some video from OH255 - just for you!!

wheatonFJR loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

extrememarine wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 8:05 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:18 pm Well done...and I'm sure you rock and rolled on OH255.
I had time to pull some video from OH255 - just for you!!

Just like I remembered it. Thanks!
boatanchor, 3rd class.