Foo Fest ‘24

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Foo Fest ‘24

Post by Cav47 »

It’s our Spring Break and a ride with the FJR group or Dual Sport peeps associated with FJR riders did not materialize.

Enter Foo Fest. It’s been going a few years and mainly resides on ADVrider and Facebook. Typically hosted in the south central Indiana areas. This one was a little further north in Lieber State park. Near Cloverdale, east of Terra Haute, the area is more woods than fields. Lots of drainage for some bigger lakes. Plenty of hills, water crossings, dirt and gravel roads and since it’s Indiana, covered bridges.

As some of you know, I have been trying to refine my camping load out in preparation for some BDR action hopefully upcoming this summer.

Camping off the dual sport is a completely different experience. You simply cannot take the weight and volume one throws upon the FJR.

This exercise would be further complicated due to the temps predicted below or at freezing both nights.

I snagged a new sleeping bag. They are the same temp rating but the new one is about 1/3 less volume. I was hoping for more space savings, but I already ordered a better compression sack.

Temps were still in the low 40s when I left. The plan was to stay on some slow speed roads the wind is kept at bay by the trees and terrain.

The route planned goes toward my normal riding areas. I don’t need a GPS until I get to Rockville about 35 miles away, but I am taking all the fun roads.

I don’t stop and take lots of pictures. Mainly because I have to take my gloves off to get to the iPhone. Farmers are getting ready to work their fields, but can’t until the once floating corn stalks are dealt with.

The wind will blow floating stalks up to the land. Earlier this year the whole flood plain was covered with water. Not it was dry enough to start a burn off.
I had to ride about 1/4 mile out into the field. The amount of stalks is immense. I can barely find a way to get the bike to stay in the kickstand. The debris is at least 18 inches thick.

The smoke is blowing south west toward the river and would likely dissipate before getting to any houses. The river is almost 1/2 mile from here. I have seen the water halfway up the treeline on the left in other, much more wet, Springs.
I didn’t linger long as there must be a farmer nearby watching the fires. This is familiar territory, so I beat feet toward the new tracks.

More of the similar in these parts.

Plenty of these bridges have a water crossing. Likely the original way to get across the water.

It was still cold so a walk around up to the bridge might warm me up.

Many of the water crossings do not have concrete structures to allow traversing the creek.
This one is not really wide and most local farm machinery would likely not fit.

The wooden structure, engineering, and craftsmanship are gorgeous. So many of these have stood the test of times better than so much of the modern.
Those of you not familiar with the area and history, Abe Lincoln made his way from Kentucky through Indiana to Illinois where he gained notoriety. This bridge was build 9 years before he died. Put that into perspective. There are many more in the area even older and most still don’t have any modern metal updates. That’s even better than my Honda’s reliability. (Foreshadowing).

I stopped to take a quick bio break and snap this pic. I was about halfway the 90 mile track planned. Wayne this flag is for you! Notice the trucks in the background.

You never know on what you will find way out here in the middle of nowhere.

It started raining as predicted as the warm front collided with the cold from which I came. I only had one option; carry on and punch through the small rain band.

My gear was up to the task. I heard someone say “There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear choices.”

I rolled into the campground and saw some familiar faces for the area rides. One of them may be known to you. BLRFJR was who I was sharing a campsite with. He got the site and I got set up on the only somewhat level ground there was.
The leaf debris was welcomed as the ground temp was not favorable. Warmer than the air, but I got the old tent tucked in. Brian picked the site and it was last one at the end of the cul-de-sac.

There is electricity at the site but I passed on bringing the heated throw blanket I sometimes pack. This was also a gear shakedown trip and if I was eventually gonna venture out into some remote areas, I needed to know if my gear was up to the task sans electrical aids.

I did take some luxury items, but not too much. A bigger chair, a full size insulated tumbler, and well……. If you know me, then you know.

I found a good campfire and made it work.
This was the second piece. I was too busy eating the first to take a picture. While most of the rest of the campers were getting sloshed on bad beer or fireball, I was making sure I had some real caloric fuel to get me through the cold night ahead.

Brian and I wandered back to our campsite and I tucked in for the night. One of the best new gear choices, as crude as it may be, included a quart Gatorade bottle. Not having to get out in the middle of the night to pee is amazing.

Morning tea on the table was the only thing that I was looking forward to getting out the warm sleeping bag.

More tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toter, Hppants, CollingsBob and 10 others loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Re: Foo Fest ‘24

Post by bungie4 »

I've got a one litre, wide mouth Nalgene bottle in the camper. Spot on. Your embarrassment of emptying a bottle quickly disappears after enjoying it's benefits.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
D.F.I.U.N.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Make sure you only buy fruit punch Gatorade. Do not buy the Lemon Lime, that's a potential mix up you do NOT want to make.

CollingsBob and LKLD loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Great RR Josh. Always enjoyable read.
boatanchor, 3rd class.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Post by dcarver »

Nice RR
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

We'll judge the RR when it's done. Clearly he isn't done because, the alluded to, Honda going KTM, hasn't happened yet. Waiting on more. :D
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

One of the best new gear choices, as crude as it may be, included a quart Gatorade bottle. Not having to get out in the middle of the night to pee is amazing.
Absolute necessity at 72! And a tent you can kneel in, JSNS
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Back to the action!

After a couple cups of hot tea, it was time to gear up. Temps were climbing above freezing as the sun was breaking through the trees. We planned on riding the Sunday tracks today (Saturday). These generally took us toward the south.

We did this for a few reasons. First, it meant that we wouldn’t have to fight any crowds at the planned lunch stop. With 120 riders in the campground, none of the restaurants in these small towns could deal with that many. It’s happened before and both patrons and staff don’t like the wave. Second, it meant we wouldn’t be holding up any groups or running drag and eating dust all day. Finally, it gave me the chance to load up the bike on Sunday and head back as the Saturday track (that we would do Sunday) ran mostly north.

Friday night as we caught up with friends and made new ones, we did the typical bench racing things. Last time many of us were asking each other what bike they are now riding. A few of us were dogging a common friend about him drinking the Orange Kool-Aid. In more than a few instances, I made my subtle and sometimes obvious digs about KTM reliability. Plenty of softballs were lobbed up at the expense of the KTM guy. We took turns getting our jabs in. All in good fun. But this morning, the moto karma gods got their revenge.

It was still cold when we took off. I had run my gear on the way down to the event and nothing seemed amiss.

Today (Saturday) as we left the campground I plugged the jacket in and cranked it up to cut the chill. We turned off on the gravel and started picking our way through at a slow pace. Lots of time dual sporting is spent with the bike just putting along in low rev range.

I see my low fuel light pop on the dash. This doesn’t make any sense. We are 15 miles in on a full tank. Furthermore, I can see the gas through the translucent fuel tank. I am not low on fuel. Brian and I talk about it over the coms. I can’t recall who said it but I think it could be a good idea to turn the key off and cycle the ignition back on. I get down to the bottom of a hill and I turn the key and then flip it back. I push the starter and I barely get a turn over. The battery is nearly dead. I have an auxiliary volt meter on the dash that kinda sits behind the GPS. It reads 10.1. Ugh, that ain’t good!!! I immediately knew it was the heated gear.

We are at the bottom of a hill. A bump start is needed. We push the bike up the hill and she starts after a couple attempts. I was just happy it had enough juice to cycle the fuel pump.

I ran the bike up and down the road a bit to charge the system. I even got up to speed and shut it off and used the starter to check to see if the battery was good enough. Knowing that if it didn’t fire, I could coast and restart via a rolling bump start. Seemed all good.

We turned down a road and there was a tree across the road. Brian went over to the side in the mud and made it. I hit his rut and promptly stalled the bike halfway over. And guess what, the bike wouldn’t start. So we pushed it over the log and tried to bump start it on the gravel. Nope, the high compression motor just skidded the back tire. We tried 2 or 3 times. We need a piece of rope or something to try a tow start. I find a vine and we tried to get the bikes up to speed, but the vine breaks. We have no choice but to push it back over the log and up the hill for another bump start. So we get it restarted. Neither of us are cold now! The gear we are wearing is conducive to riding, not bump starting.

I really wish the vine would have worked. It would have made the adventure much more fun.

After that 45 min delay, I rode the bike at much higher revs and even turned the GPS off. I watched the volt meter creep up to the 14.2 mark. The Honda healed itself.

We found a few gems out there.

Cataract Falls outside of Cloverdale doesn’t seem like it fits in Indiana.

These are the upper falls.

Here are the lower ones.

We got back and I headed straight to the shower house after I found out they had plenty of hot water. At least 30 minutes worth of warming up was needed since I didn’t run the heated gear at all after the earlier event. I don’t think temps ever climbed above 45 for the day.

Dreyer motorsports hosted a chili dinner at the big shelter. This gathered everyone in one spot as opposed to the dispersed crowd in the big campground. After a bunch of chit chatting with old and new faces, they gave away a bunch of swag. I had to find out KTM friend and tell on myself. Plenty of Ha Ha’s and crap talking back at me and team Red. I took the abuse as I clearly needed to prove I could take it. The KTM boys were not too rough on me. Maybe it was empathy or maybe because the KTM boys have never been able to make fun of anyone else.

Tonight was supposed to be the coldest night with upper 20s and lower with the wind chill. I tucked myself in. I have learned plenty from some of the YouTube remote campers. They recommend this type of set up.

I can assure you their methods work. I was not cold in the night. My only complaint is that I am a side sleeper and like to split my legs some. That’s not happening in a mummy bag. I unzipped the bag some and used it like a quilt. It wasn’t the best use, so I may be looking for a better solution. I guess the temps really won’t be this extreme.

The next day was cold and I loaded up and we headed north as we planned. I stayed away from the heated gear the whole trip back. I didn’t take any pictures, but the riding was good north toward home. Bryan and I had lunch outside of Rockville at The Ranch. It was delicious. I had the shrimp and grits. The wife and I will be heading that way soon for another meal.

Team Red vindicated herself. We got home after the final 40 miles through Amish country and back into my backyard riding. The handling is marginally affected by the load out. Back home I unloaded and organized my gear.

Foo Fest is a good event. My gear is almost dialed in. As long as I keep an eye on the voltage, I think I can use it. Hopefully my future adventures won’t force me into these kind of temps.

I am declaring myself BDR ready. Maybe that won’t jinx me like my teasing of the KTM boys. I guess it’s not Hondas fault, I could have drained a KTM battery just as fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LKLD, bigjohnsd, Hppants and 4 others loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Post by dcarver »

You need a GoldWing with knobby tires. I hear they have lots of charging capacity and your new buds will be duly impressed?
Cav47 loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Cav47 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:23 pm That’s even better than my Honda’s reliability. (Foreshadowing).
Obvious clickbait here. Not a damn thing wrong with Honda's reliability, just the doofus riding it. :mrgreen:
Cav47 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:48 pm I guess it’s not Hondas fault, I could have drained a KTM battery just as fast.
Boom! There you go.

Good RR, looks like a lot of fun.

On the plus side, now you know if you get a low fuel indication when you clearly have fuel, dont' stop the bike, turn off all accessories and ride faster.
wheatonFJR, Hppants, and Cav47 loved this

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Good report. That waterfall is nice. Nobody down here would believe that is Indiana.

High in the 40s? Uh.... nope.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Yeah, them little stators on dirt bikes..... FJR has likely double that. Monitor the voltage and manage the load. Anything under 12.8 and you're using battery capacity.... ok for a couple of hours or even less the lower you go. Shut the accessories off a half hour before you're going to park it so you restore some charge.
bigjohnsd loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Good RR. Glad to see you finally spelled Bryan's name correctly! :stickpoke: :D
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
RIP 1911
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by bigjohnsd »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:06 pm Yeah, them little stators on dirt bikes..... FJR has likely double that. Monitor the voltage and manage the load. Anything under 12.8 and you're using battery capacity.... ok for a couple of hours or even less the lower you go. Shut the accessories off a half hour before you're going to park it so you restore some charge.
Actually, as I was taught, 13.2 volts is a fully charged 12-volt lead acid battery (6 cells x 2.2 volts per cell).
Has this changed?
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

bigjohnsd wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:01 pm
raYzerman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:06 pm Yeah, them little stators on dirt bikes..... FJR has likely double that. Monitor the voltage and manage the load. Anything under 12.8 and you're using battery capacity.... ok for a couple of hours or even less the lower you go. Shut the accessories off a half hour before you're going to park it so you restore some charge.
Actually, as I was taught, 13.2 volts is a fully charged lead acid battery 6 cells x 2.2 volts per cell).
Has this changed?
The CRF has a lithium battery IIRC.
bigjohnsd loved this

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Yuasa chart attached for reference, it used to say 12.9..... which has been the common knowledge 12.8-12.9... A battery tender will maintain a battery at 13.2V, and if checked right after unplugging it, we call it the surface charge. Do a key cycle to get some draw to dissipate the surface charge....
Most bike regulators will charge (no loads) at 14.2, which comes down when accessories are powered up.

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by bigjohnsd »

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

He's essentially saying voltage is not a full indicator of a battery's health, which is true. You need to load test it. 12.9V on his chart is 99%, so we'll use 13V as 100% for his lithium. Anything above that is surface charge and was killed off rather quickly. His device is overkill for us peons, and for a much smaller capacity motorcycle battery, do we care? Again to oversimplify, monitoring voltage while riding with accessories turned on is what we want to watch. Once we get down to less than 12.8/12.9, we're using battery capacity as the charging system can't keep up...
Again, no problem until you really start drawing down for an extended period of time. I don't know what Cav's voltage reading was with all his heated gear on, but it's a relatively small battery and a smaller output stator.
Normally charging voltages are around 14-14.2 on a bike, so you can run heated gear without any worry if you can keep it near 12.8/9 all day. You also have variable controllers... often don't need it on High.... all I'm saying, is keep it simple.
bigjohnsd and wheatonFJR loved this
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by bigjohnsd »

Charging was an issue on my KLR but easily overcome with installation of LED bulbs. I had sufficent power generation to run the bike and my heated jacket and gloves while maintaining 13.0-13.2 volts. The FJR was never an issue, the GSA holds a steady 14.2 with everything plugged in and turned on.

Looks like the Lithium battery has a more linear discharge curve but once it's fine, it's done.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Same 14.1/14.2 on the Versys and the ManStrom.... regulators are now series type that shut on and off, and not the older shunt type. If you find the regulator, and if it's a genuine Shindengen, the model number is on the opposite end to the connectors. The Chinese knock-offs won't have any markings usually.