Disassembling brake calipers?

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Disassembling brake calipers?

Post by Festus »

I bought a cheap powder coating gun the other day and was thinking about doing my brake calipers. In all my years of working on cars, I've never taken a caliper apart. Pretty simple task or a real pain in the butt?
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: Disassembling brake calipers?

Post by Hppants »

I suppose you must disassemble them because the "baking" part of the powder coating might put those seals at temps that are too high?

Haven't opened up FJR calipers, but I've rebuilt a few automotive calipers and it's really simple. I would blow out the pistons with compressed air. From there removing and replacing the seals/sweepers is a piece of cake.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

Hppants wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:37 pm I suppose you must disassemble them because the "baking" part of the powder coating might put those seals at temps that are too high?
Yes, around 400-450 degrees.

Perfect, thanks for the explanation. Looks like a lot of seals! A ton for the front, with all the dual pistols. Should be a fun little project.

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

When you blow out the pistons, put a thin piece of wood in there. Thick enough that the pistons won't blow out entirely, because what happens is the piston with the least resistance will blow out leaving the others in place, then you'll have to put it back in and do it all over again.

If I, GixxerJasen, can pull them, take them apart, clean, rebuild, reassemble, install and bleed them all the night before a 4500 mile trip, you can do it with plenty of time set aside.

Keep an eye out for crappy Yamaha QC, this metal shaving was floating around inside my caliper.

If you are wondering about the reference for the photo with the circles, it's from another post about not losing those stupid seals. Read up here for more helpful info by the bungling GixxerJasen:
Click Here

Watch a few youtube videos on motorcycle caliper rebuilding and you can do it.
2GENAE, 0face, extrememarine and 3 others loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

Looks like a great time to replace those too Jasen. It's about $75 in seals alone so might as well toss those on the list.

blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

Speaking of seals...

A vacationing penguin is driving his car through Arizona when he notices that the oil pressure light is on. He gets out to look and sees oil dripping out of the motor. He drives to the nearest town and stops at the first gas station.

After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town. He sees an ice-cream shop and, being a penguin in Arizona, decides that something cold would really hit the spot. He gets a big dish of ice cream and sits down to eat. Having no hands he makes a real mess trying to eat with his flippers. After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the gas station and asks the mechanic if he's found the problem. The mechanic looks up and says "It looks like you blew a seal."

"No no," the penguin replies, "it's just ice cream."
Toter, Hppants, escapefjrtist and 3 others loved this
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Festus wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:39 pm Looks like a great time to replace those too Jasen. It's about $75 in seals alone so might as well toss those on the list.
Remember that the left side is a set of eight seals under one part number. The right side is two different part numbers - four seals each...
Check the sides of the pistons for pitting, scratches or corrosion. Replace if they don't clean up well.
2GENAE, 0face, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this