Coolant Leak

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
RacinRay
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES 2011 Triumph Speed Triple

Coolant Leak

Post by RacinRay »

I haven't ridden my FJR in the last few weeks (I've been riding my Speed Triple) but it was running great when I last parked it. Today when I started it I got a little wiff of coolant which is unusual but I wrote it off as an anomaly.

I rode the bike less than half a mile to the gas station to air up the tires and then noticed a steady drip of antifreeze coming from the bottom of the fairing under the radiator. I turned around and went home and as I pulled into the garage I saw the floor where the bike had been parked was clean and dry with no signs of a leak. The bike was now leaking so I threw a drip pan under it and switched to my Triumph and went for a ride.

My question is, how can a bike that was not leaking coolant when last ridden suddenly start to leak after sitting for 2 weeks? I need to dig into it and see if I can determine the source of the leak but I've never taken the plastic off of the bike before and I don't know where to start. Can anyone help me and tell me which panels need to be removed and in what order to gain access to the radiator? Perhaps someone can provide a PDF from the service manual. I'd appreciate the help. (2016 ES)

Thanks.

Ray
The dildo of consequences never arrives lubed.
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Re: Coolant Leak

Post by Intech »

Did you happen to notice what your temperature was? It could have boiled over if the thermostat failed. Removing the faring is not difficult. You have to remove the adjustable side piece to gain access to attachment bolts. You also have to remove the dash cover as there is a screw that has to be removed under it. upper inside there are plastic rivets that have to be removed and then two screws on the side of the panel under the radiator. Last screw will be the one on the bottom underneath that ties the two sides together. Partzilla has a good parts breakdown.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamah ... /cowling-2
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
RIP 1911
RacinRay
Veteran

Post by RacinRay »

Intech wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:14 pm Did you happen to notice what your temperature was?
Temp was normal after riding to and from the gas station. Also as I said, I could smell coolant immediately on start up.
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

RacinRay wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:49 pm
Intech wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:14 pm Did you happen to notice what your temperature was?
Temp was normal after riding to and from the gas station. Also as I said, I could smell coolant immediately on start up.
You won't know much until you get the plastic off and look around. Check the hose connections and clamps, the cap might be faulty, or the thermostat... all of which are pretty simple fixes... except for Andy, he can't fix shit, he doesn't even know which end of a hammer to hold.
El Toro Joe loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

My thermostat housing had been leaking for a while - never left a puddle or drip - but I could smell coolant at the end of a ride. It was seeping out of the housing and burning off on the metal part of the housing before it could drip enough to leave a puddle.

But, like mentioned - until you pull the fairings off it, you won't know if it's a pin hole leak in the radiator, a bad hose, or even the thermostat housing.

Good luck!
PhilJet09 loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

0face wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:12 pm
RacinRay wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:49 pm
You won't know much until you get the plastic off and look around. Check the hose connections and clamps, the cap might be faulty, or the thermostat... all of which are pretty simple fixes... except for Andy, he can't fix shit, he doesn't even know which end of a hammer to hold.
From all the Andys of the world...
PhilJet09 and natehawk750 loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

The thermostat housing doesn't have a whole lot of compression on the thermostat gasket and can weep a bit, but not a full blown leak IMHO.... to fix, can sand down the one side to get a little more compression.....
You may have a cracked coolant overflow reservoir, finally gave out after getting old and brittle too near the heat of the exhaust..... under the left side fairing. IF your temperatures were normal, likely just lost what's in the reservoir....
Only one way to know for sure, get that fairing off. Per Bob's description... might also have to take that screw out of the black "vent" at the front.

How about mcatrophy's guide to Gen3 plastic removal..... see post 16
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/i-give ... 13.153923/
Or scroll around his site
http://atrophy.lock.net/pi/20140805_FairingsEtc/
wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition
1987 KLR 650 Thumper

Post by Road Runner »

Hopefully a simple fix like the overflow tank. They get brittle and just crack.
Let me know if you need a hand.
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

My money is on the overflow plastic tank. There is a history of that happening on the FJR, although your bike is not that old. Maybe just pull the adjustable portion of the side panel and take a good look inside the fairing before removing the panel. In the old sandbox, there was a pictorial on removing the plastics from a gen 3 bike. Not sure if it's still there or not.
N4HHE loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hppants wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:40 am ...In the old sandbox, there was a pictorial on removing the plastics from a gen 3 bike. Not sure if it's still there or not.
Look 2 posts above yours...
Hppants loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
RacinRay
Veteran

Post by RacinRay »

Update: I got the left side fairing off (thanks for the links Ray) and found the source of the leak. Unfortunately it's the radiator. I started the bike and everything looked good until it came up to temperature then I could see coolant spraying out of the fins on the upper back side of the radiator. It's a pretty serious leak.

Now I don't know if I want to tackle the replacement by myself. I'm just not confident in my wrenching abilities. I don't even know what parts I'd need other than the radiator itself. Unfortunately, I'd have to partially reassemble the bike and rent a trailer to get it to the shop.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

RacinRay wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:28 pm Update: I got the left side fairing off (thanks for the links Ray) and found the source of the leak. Unfortunately it's the radiator. I started the bike and everything looked good until it came up to temperature then I could see coolant spraying out of the fins on the upper back side of the radiator. It's a pretty serious leak.

Now I don't know if I want to tackle the replacement by myself. I'm just not confident in my wrenching abilities. I don't even know what parts I'd need other than the radiator itself. Unfortunately, I'd have to partially reassemble the bike and rent a trailer to get it to the shop.
well that sucks, but at least you have some time before EOM
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Ray:

1. You likely don't need to rent a trailer, unless the shop is like 200 miles away. Watch your temp gage and stop now and then to check leve.

2. IMNSHO - if you are able to get the fairing off, you should be able to replace the radiator. It's not that hard. I wonder if a radiator shop could solder that leak - or even if they still do such a thing?
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

Growing up in Nova Scotia there was 2 cures for a leaky rad…a package of black pepper, which would expand to fill the hole…or a dozen eggs, which would cook and flow to the leak..
PhilJet09 and wheatonFJR loved this
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Post by dcarver »

My leak was actual radiator failure.
https://candybuttorg.ipage.com/cba/node/391
RacinRay
Veteran

Post by RacinRay »

Because I'm a cheap bastard I'm leaning towards doing it myself. What parts are necessary? Should I replace the cap and thermostat? Grommets, gaskets, hoses, and clamps? I don't want to have to do this again. I've never even done a coolant flush on an FJR (I've done my Speed Triple).
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

First thing I would do is take the plastic off, make sure the radiator is full of coolant, run it up to temp, and then see if I can spot a leak. That will tell you next steps depending on what you find.

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to give you better advice as to next steps.
CollingsBob and wheatonFJR loved this
FjrVfr
Contributor
FJRModel: 2012

Post by FjrVfr »

I don't recall needing anything other than the new radiator (and they're pricey). It's doable, but that one friggin' bolt on the starboard side is a bear. Make sure there are no sensitive ears close by because you're going to swear like a sailor.

I think that little bastard took me over an hour.
PhilJet09 loved this
"Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

0face wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:12 pm ...except for Andy, he can't fix shit, he doesn't even know which end of a hammer to hold.
Now THAT is just cold. COLD, man.

I DO know which end of a hammer to hold. It's the .. you know .. the end ... where the ... you know ... the thing is. Works every time!

Metric screwdrivers, on the other hand, now THOSE things give me fits.

And since I know that reading comprehension is tough for you...
RacinRay wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:28 pm Update: I got the left side fairing off (thanks for the links Ray) and found the source of the leak. Unfortunately it's the radiator. I started the bike and everything looked good until it came up to temperature then I could see coolant spraying out of the fins on the upper back side of the radiator. It's a pretty serious leak.
Hppants and 0face loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

The classic redneck fix is to cut the leaking tube at the leak then fold the top and bottom with a crimp that you somehow seal from leaking.

Lowes and Home Depot sell brazing rods for aluminum. Commonly used to repair HVAC coils. Requires MAP gas torch. If you can safely get fire in there then consider this repair.
natehawk750 loved this