Picking up a dropped FJR

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Bugs
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2018A

Picking up a dropped FJR

Post by Bugs »

I was installing WarmNSafe wiring harnesses for my newly acquired heated gear onto a couple of my bikes. It’s cold here in Idaho, so I was moving the bikes - one at a time - into an available heated garage bay. I had just completed the harness install on my Tênêrê 700, pushed it back outside and got it covered back up. Then, I removed the cover from the FJR and started to move it inside.

I positioned the FJR in front of the garage bay and prepared to back it in. I was standing on the left-side and started moving it backward by pressing on the top of my RDL seat backrest. I’d forgotten that the backrest was articulated and as the bike started to move, the backrest suddenly released and tilted back causing my right hand to slip off. The FJR tipped slightly to the right, away from me. I tried to catch it, but it was already too far gone. It was going down. I attempted to grab it to help settle it more gently, but it just pulled away from me and plopped on its side.

I stepped back and surveyed the scene. I’d gone nearly 3 years without dropping this beast, but now, here we are. I had been both expecting and dreading this.

I took a few moments to consider my options. I’d routinely picked up my big dirt bikes lots of times, but the stories I’d read said the FJR was a different animal. It is 600 lbs and carries all that weight at the top. Oh well, before calling a tow truck, I might as well try the technique I’d learned watching YouTube videos.

Since it had fallen on its right side, the left side was accessible. I first grabbed the shifter bar and clicked the bike into 1st gear. I put the side-stand in the down position. Then I walked around and stood with my back to the seat and sat down. I reached down with my left hand and grabbed the right handlebar and brake. I reached down with my right hand and tried to grab the lift slot which I expected to be built in to the right side of the bike as it is on the left. I couldn’t find it.

I got up, turned around and got down on my knees to look. I still couldn’t find the right side lift slot. I looked on the left side and found the lift slot exactly where I expected it to be. That’s when I realized the lift slot is only on the left side to assist with getting the FJR up on its center-stand.

OK, I’ll use the FJR rack brace instead. Try it again. Sit on the edge of the seat. Left hand on the right handlebar/brake. Right hand on the rack brace. Straighten your back.

It came right up. The bike was surprisingly easy to lift off the ground!

Using small steps, I walked backwards and quickly had the bike back upright and balanced. I carefully settled it over onto the side-stand.

Wow - that was no problem at all. Three years of smoldering anxiety for nothing.

I checked for damage:
1. There is a small paint-scuff mark on the front T-Rex guard – nothing that can’t be fixed with a quick-shot from a can of matte-black paint.
2. There is a small edge scrape on the aluminum bracket on the pannier guard. 10 seconds of a light touch using a fine file took care of that – looks like new.
Score one for T-Rex guards.

There’s the old motorcycle saying: “There are two types of riders: those who have dropped their bikes and those that will.”
Now, I’ve moved into the first category. but I don’t dread it any more.
morecowbell, El Toro Joe, LKLD and 5 others loved this
The fact that there's a Highway to Hell and only a Stairway to Heaven should tell you something about anticipated traffic.
Straight roads are for fast bikes. Turns are for fast riders.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: Picking up a dropped FJR

Post by raYzerman »

You were lucky it didn't have momentum or it would have rolled over onto the mirror. Anyway, glad you dodged a bullet!
BTW, why isn't this in the Good News thread?
El Toro Joe, Bugs, and bigjohnsd loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

It is not "If" you will drop your FJR, only a matter of "When" - welcome to the club.
El Toro Joe and Bugs loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

Bugs loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Now try it on the downslope in a (loose pea size gravel) campsite (top of bike downhill from wheels). Stopped the bike and the ground felt solid. Kickstand buried itself and the bike went over on the left side. Nobody around to help so I unloaded camping gear and spent some time getting it picked up. Wheels slid in the gravel (had to make a small trench to keep them from sliding) and couldn't get a good foothold. Not ALWAYS easy!

I now use a large kickstand pad or rock anytime I have to park on a potentially soft surface. A kickstand bigfoot isn't always enough and they don't fit well with my Staintune mufflers.
Bugs loved this