Cruise Control inop Gen III

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
2ducs
Squid
FJRModel: 2015

Cruise Control inop Gen III

Post by 2ducs »

Anybody ever have a flashing cruise control indicator? Mine did this on a short ride today and the cruise control wouldn't engage. The owners manual states that if any system on the bike has a problem the indicator will begin flashing and cruise will not engage and recommend a visit to the dealer.
Thoughts?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: Cruise Control inop Gen III

Post by raYzerman »

First, there is a recall for the front brake light switch... get that done. No trip to the dealer needed except that....
Stuff you fix yourself......
Other causes, ABS sensors on the wheels can get corroded, clean the hole they go in and any aluminum corrosion that may have transferred to the sensor. Coat the hole and the plastic adapter of the sensors with silicone grease and reinstall.
Go into DiAG and look for error codes related to the sensors and clear the codes.
Other issues.... sticky rear brake pedal will cause the brake lights to stay on... common FJR problem, grease the rear brake pedal pivot.
Clutch switch can also get a bit of crud in it preventing full extension of the plunger.. spritz with contact cleaner should flush it out.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
2ducs
Squid

Post by 2ducs »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:21 pm First, there is a recall for the front brake light switch... get that done. No trip to the dealer needed except that....
Stuff you fix yourself......
Other causes, ABS sensors on the wheels can get corroded, clean the hole they go in and any aluminum corrosion that may have transferred to the sensor. Coat the hole and the plastic adapter of the sensors with silicone grease and reinstall.
Go into DiAG and look for error codes related to the sensors and clear the codes.
Other issues.... sticky rear brake pedal will cause the brake lights to stay on... common FJR problem, grease the rear brake pedal pivot.
Clutch switch can also get a bit of crud in it preventing full extension of the plunger.. spritz with contact cleaner should flush it out.
Hey thanks for all that info as it makes me feel better that it may be something I can correct. Also didn't know about the front brake light switch recall or that I could pull codes. I'll have to look that one up as to "how" it's done.
Regards
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

Never trust a guy from Canada who tells you to clean your hole..

Happened to me once and my rear brake pedal was the culprit.
N4HHE loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

jwilly wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:29 pm Happened to me once and my rear brake pedal was the culprit.
Me too but I don't remember if the CC light flashed when it refused to engage.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

The front brake lever switch can also be given a spritz of contact cleaner to ensure its plunger is moving freely as well.... the new switch is alledgedly more robust.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

My '13 does it from time to time. Works perfectly all day and then in an instant, while moving along, the light starts flashing and it stops working. Turning the bike off and on again fixes it every time. I've lubed the brake lever, and looked at stuff while apart and never seen any issues. One day, when I have time, I'll dive deeper and figure it out.
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

Probably covered but check the following R&R with a clean and lube:

1. Hand lever pivot points. There are brass bushings that are wear items and can affect CC if not replaced. Cheap and easy to do (inspect, clean, lube) 1 or 2 times a year.

2. Foot lever pivot points annually. These are part of the routine maint call out in the owners manual for the same reasons as above.

3. R&R and clean the contacts (CRC contact cleaner) on the micro switches in 1 and 2 as well as the side stand lock out switch.
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

I have wished for a brake light on the dash but been too lazy to wire one. Would serve as notice when/if a brake switch is stuck, or if one is dragging the brake. Both of my cars have a cartoon image of the car in center of the dash which animates the brake lights when applied. Interesting but almost useless because it requires too much of the driver's attention to notice.

One rider I am often following aggressively uses engine braking so he slows quickly without a brake light. Gets grumpy when asked to drag a brake at the same time to illuminate his brake light. Gripes when I "won't keep up" riding a safe distance back knowing he suddenly slows to play with his phone or look at dogs in yards.
mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

N4HHE wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:36 am I have wished for a brake light on the dash but been too lazy to wire one. Would serve as notice when/if a brake switch is stuck, or if one is dragging the brake.
Not quite that simple. The brake switches are each double pole. With a sticky switch it might be that one contact is activated, the other not. Simply monitoring the brake light may not give you the full story.

It's quite a complex system. As far as I can tell one circuit is used mainly for the brake lights, the other with an interlock mechanism. Both are monitored by the ECU, so either might cause it to throw a wobbly.

And be aware the contacts are made when the levers are relaxed, broken when the brake lever is activated.
wheatonFJR loved this
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

My 13 did that. It was the the switch on the bars. A little squirt, little adjustment, good to go.
N4HHE loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
2ducs
Squid

Post by 2ducs »

All interesting replies here guys. Without doing any of the aforementioned suggestions I continued riding and have only had this happen one more time. It was probably because I hadn't ridden the bike in months due to heart issues and I've now ridden perhaps a dozen times since posting. Oddly enough when I started the bike and allowed it to warm up while I geared up it produced the most god awful smell I'd ever smelled. Kinda a mix of electrical and animal fur.
Now I've seen a chipmunk on the patio and in the carport so I figured one may have nested on top of the exhaust pipes below the engine causing the smell. I'm thankful the bike didn't go up in flames like his little ass may have! Anyway I will now dedicate some time to preventive maintenance and a oil change. I was just so happy to be able to get out and ride again. Thanks guys for the replies.
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

Have had CC fail to engage once this year. Remembering the front brake light switch recall I pushed the front brake lever forward then the CC resumed function.