Topic Locked and General Update

Forum Guidelines and Information, Status, etc.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Topic Locked and General Update

Post by extrememarine »

Hello.

Tonight I locked a thread in the backyard sub forum titled, "H.R.127 - Sabika Sheikh Firearm Licensing and Registration Act". Even though the topic was in the appropriate sub forum, the conversation within the thread was on a downward spiral that, in my opinion, was going to end up with name calling and other unpleasantries.

There are many hot- button topics in today's world, and those topics usually bring passionate arguments from all sides of the table that individuals stand on.

There are so many places to have those heated, passionate and even confrontational conversations at today, lets make this a place that does not have them.

Thank you.

Wayne - aka Extrememarine.
Uncle Hud, Bounce, DesignFlaw06 and 8 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Re: Topic Locked and General Update

Post by 0face »

Lame. Preemptive censorship where none was needed.

The censorship of America comes to FJRiders. Maybe you just make this a “technical forum”. You’re starting down the path someone else has already trodden.

WTF is this world coming to?

Nice job Zuckerberg.
wheatonFJR and FJRPittsburgh loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Uncle Hud and Bounce loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Marty,

Censorship or moderation activity on this site has been minimal since the site was established originally, then re-established in 2012 by me.

The number of posts and threads that have been locked or edited (censored) have been minimal over the past 9 years. Those actions were all taken based on the author(s) of the posts or participants in the thread/topic choosing to turn the conversation into a form of personal attack that I have repeatedly asked it not happen and stated that it is unacceptable conduct on this site.

Call me what names you wish, it still does not change the fact that if I see a post on this site that I interrupt as counter to the (very few) established rules (that every member here agreed to when joining), then I will remove it.

Anyone can establish their own website and run it however they see fit. There are many established websites and social media platforms already in existence today that focus on politics, religion, constitutional rights; if any of those don't meet your personal standards or expectations, then create one that does. Invest your own time and energy into it, invite like minded individuals to join in conversations there, and when someone calls you names, see how long it takes you to turn them off.

I hope your morning is filled with sunshine and you find something to enjoy today.

Thank you,

Wayne

0face wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:16 am Lame. Preemptive censorship where none was needed.

The censorship of America comes to FJRiders. Maybe you just make this a “technical forum”. You’re starting down the path someone else has already trodden.

Nice job Zuckerberg.
N4HHE, escapefjrtist, rbentnail and 8 others loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

I moderated BBS's for a decade before the Internet. Scream censorship all you want. Wah wah. The flipside is if you do let it degenerate before you shut it down, you are taking peoples voices away when they are most heated. Ever 'debate' with a pissed off woman?

Its a no win situation, but their is a best case scenario and Wayne took it.
rbentnail, Full House, Bounce and 3 others loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Wayne,
I appreciate all you do to try to have a harmonious FJR site.

I feel like the posts were fairly civil for the most part, though full of emotion and strongly held views. I could see this thread devolving rather quickly.

I am thinking that this discussion is best served over a campfire face to face over a shared beverage, if people really want to talk about this instead of the awesome riding we did together previously that day.

However, you might want to rethink whether you really have a “backyard” “sheep’s pen” where anything goes. The locking of this thread clearly shows that, for better or worse, that is not the intent at Riders anymore.

Lastly, I do not disrespect my Canadian friends for their views. I did not feel that I received that respect back.

Thanks again Wayne. I would ride with any of my FJRiders friends anytime.
HotRodZilla, bigjohnsd, Bounce and 2 others loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Mark,

Thank you for your comments.

This is what I was attempting to avoid, as I do not sit and monitor the site 24/7 (I have a job/career and a family - surprise, right?)
I could see this thread devolving rather quickly.
I agree with this sentiment as well - I am looking forward to the day when we can do just that - whether around a campfire, standing in a parking lot, or at a gas station in Tellico Plains after running the skyway...
this discussion is best served over a campfire face to face over a shared beverage

I continue to loose sleep over this one; it's unfortunate that more often than not, these 'heated discussions' degrade to the point that resembles a school yard sandbox tantrum over who is next on the slide. Although, I would argue that closing 2 threads in 10 months (iirc) does not indicate that these topics can not happen here all, just that they don't always remain civil and in a respectful manner. But to your point, it may be time for an adjustment to what is acceptable in those subforums topic wise since many fail to observe my request that all conversations, no matter how passionate or heated the topic is, remain civil and avoid the name calling / attacking of other members.
However, you might want to rethink whether you really have a “backyard” “sheep’s pen” where anything goes. The locking of this thread clearly shows that, for better or worse, that is not the intent at Riders anymore.
Back to the first point - the conversation was making that sharp turn; I don't always catch these things so timely or at a point to be proactive, but last night was a point in time that I was here and watching so I took the action I felt was necessary and warranted.
Lastly, I do not disrespect my Canadian friends for their views. I did not feel that I received that respect back.
Thank you again - Both for the constructive criticism and for your ablity to communicate it in a respectful manner.

Wayne

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:34 am Wayne,
I appreciate all you do to try to have a harmonious FJR site.

I feel like the posts were fairly civil for the most part, though full of emotion and strongly held views. I could see this thread devolving rather quickly.

I am thinking that this discussion is best served over a campfire face to face over a shared beverage, if people really want to talk about this instead of the awesome riding we did together previously that day.

Thanks again Wayne. I would ride with any of my FJRiders friends anytime.
CollingsBob and wheatonFJR loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

I try to criticize beliefs, not people..it is hard to separate the two, especially when those beliefs are so firmly held. I’ve often thought that it would be an interesting, utopian, idea for some of us to live in each others country for a few years..then reflect on how a different society, a different culture with different media had affected our positions.
I agree, lets stick to riding.
FJRPittsburgh, Uncle Hud, bigjohnsd and 2 others loved this
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

0face wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:16 am Lame. Preemptive censorship where none was needed.

Nice job Zuckerberg.
Chill. We all knew that the original claim of "no censorship" and "light moderation" wasn't sustainable. Discussion forums always need administration. Besides, you can still "heart" posted comments in that thread. ;)
CollingsBob and Ogopogo loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Bounce wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:26 am

Nice job Zuckerberg.
Chill. We all knew that the original claim of "no censorship" and "light moderation" wasn't sustainable. Discussion forums always need administration.
Who’s “WE”?
FJRPittsburgh loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:39 am Who’s “WE”?
All forums need some type of moderation, anyone who has been in any position of leadership knows this. I've been wondering for a long time when calls of censorship will lead to mutiny. Again. From the point of view of the casual bystander, it's simply the age-old repeat of the recent cries on FJROwners and not all that long ago the same cry causing the exodus from fjrforum. Shame too that this forum has publicly taken it's first step into oblivion.
Bounce loved this
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:14 pm All forums need some type of moderation, anyone who has been in any position of leadership knows this. I've been wondering for a long time when calls of censorship will lead to mutiny. Again. From the point of view of the casual bystander, it's simply the age-old repeat of the recent cries on FJROwners and not all that long ago the same cry causing the exodus from fjrforum. Shame too that this forum has publicly taken it's first step into oblivion.
I'm not sure 2 locked posts in 1 year qualifies as "taken it's first step into oblivion". Comparatively speaking, it's not uncommon to see that many things deleted or locked every single day on other forums.
HotRodZilla, wheatonFJR, CollingsBob and 2 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:14 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:39 am Who’s “WE”?
Shame too that this forum has publicly taken it's first step into oblivion.
Oh, get a grip. I was a participant in the discussion and I agree with Waynes action..it was getting out of hand.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

I've fielded a good number of pm's and posts today. Many requests to join the backyard subforum as well as comments supporting and opposing my recent actions to close a specific thread. I thank everyone for both their support and constructive input.

I can understand how some may feel that the action taken could be perceived as a change in direction or management of the site. The fact remains that moderation of posts and threads on this forum have been minimal and will continue to be so. For those who feel otherwise or disagree with the current form of management here - there are numerous other websites to focus your energy on if you so choose.

Is it spring yet?

Wayne
bigjohnsd, Hppants, FJRPittsburgh and 7 others loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:39 am
Bounce wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:26 am

Nice job Zuckerberg.
Chill. We all knew that the original claim of "no censorship" and "light moderation" wasn't sustainable. Discussion forums always need administration.
Who’s “WE”?
Who's "WE"?
Did you have some side bets going on regarding this forum with your circle of friends or something?
0face loved this
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Freedom of speech is a function of government, and is not necessarily guaranteed by Facebook, Twitter, Parler, or FJRiders.
natehawk750, Bounce, DesignFlaw06 and 3 others loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

I'd have to agree that Wayne's moderation is generally light handed and I for one thank him for it. It might help us to remember that this forum is not run on the collective decisions of it's members, but by the best intentions of the hmfic. I think we'd be hard pressed to find much fault in how Wayne generally runs things around here. We may not always agree on every decision he makes but that's not our call. Can we trust his intentions at least?

That said, I find it truly sad that there are some supposedly grown ass men in this forum that can't handle themselves like adults in discussions without getting bent out of shape when they don't get their way. When people refuse to behave like adults then maybe it's time for the babysitter to step in after all.

So we have a section of the forum that in theory is open for discussions on a whole host of issues with sometimes strongly held opinions. Big deal, we all have opinions, and there's nothing wrong with a good healthy discussion, hell we might even learn something if we'd just listen. But name calling? C'mon, grow up, don't make Wayne feel the need to be the babysitter. It's pretty clear in the forum rule book that he doesn't care for the name calling bullshit.

But for you thin skinned folks that don't care for the back yard section of this forum, the easiest solution is to just stay out of it. Remember the application process, "Are you sure you want access to this section of the forum". With an application process like that, you know there's likely going to be some controversial shit talking involved.

Do the rest of the folks in here that enjoy a good discussion a favor, don't try to get it removed just because YOUR feelings got hurt. And know the difference when someone is being facetious and just talking shit. Grow a pair and respect the opinions of others for crying out loud.

Wheatie's comment on campfire discussion is a good one because people tend to watch what they say a little more carefully when they're face to face. Say something too far out of line to the wrong dude and there just might be an ass beating. Can we maybe remember that concept and watch what we say and how we say it a little closer next time we play keyboard bad ass?
Last edited by NTXFJR on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:13 am, edited 10 times in total.
HotRodZilla, bigjohnsd, Cav47 and 5 others loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Stop talking about me Tex, my feewings are hurt. D'oh...there goes another curb.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Oh, now MY one feeling is hurt, Wayne! Where are ya!!

I didn't think I mentioned thread shitter...did I ?? :stickpoke:
Last edited by NTXFJR on Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

So to summarize..be nice to each other, have fun, and don't take Wheatie's spot in line at the slide.
Bounce and CollingsBob loved this