The Official 2019 Calendar Contest

Sub-Forum to hold the annual FJRiders.com calendar contest threads.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: The Official 2019 Calendar Contest

Post by gixxerjasen »

Hppants wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:24 am Often scenic calanders have a caption of where the image was taken. Good idea!

Regarding aspect ratio, nope. Let the artist present his/her work and let the masses judge for themself. Minimum resolution is another matter. Ya can’t do anything with a thumbnail.
You need aspect ratio. Because it's going to be cropped when it gets to the calendar. The guy submitting the image needs to know how it's going to be cropped so he can make sure he submits the right image with the right format. The submitter should do the cropping not the guy assembling the calendar because cropping is a part of the artistic editing and the submitter should be handling that.
LKLD loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:24 pm
Hppants wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:24 am Often scenic calanders have a caption of where the image was taken. Good idea!

Regarding aspect ratio, nope. Let the artist present his/her work and let the masses judge for themself. Minimum resolution is another matter. Ya can’t do anything with a thumbnail.
You need aspect ratio. Because it's going to be cropped when it gets to the calendar. The guy submitting the image needs to know how it's going to be cropped so he can make sure he submits the right image with the right format. The submitter should do the cropping not the guy assembling the calendar because cropping is a part of the artistic editing and the submitter should be handling that.
Yeah, so how do I do that with my point and shoot?
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Do what you want. Personally, I'd rather know the info ahead of time so I can crop my image on my computer that comes out of my point and shoot or phone or whatever. Designflaw06 is going to crop it for you if you don't. This would both save him time and work, and allow you to know your image is being presented and voted on as it'll appear in the calendar. If that's not important to you, feel free to send in something outside of the final product.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

It's pretty simple. If you entered a magazine contest for story writing, and the magazine is only going to give a printable a space for 500 words, wouldn't you like to know that in advance? Or would you rather the magazine figure out which 200 words to cut out of your winning 700 word story? I'd rather know so I can fit my story into the printable constraints that exist.
My Blog

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

This seems to be a thing for you. Just ask him what he wants before you crop yours. Me...itz jes a pichur, man.
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Timmy, just tell us the desired aspect ratio, and let each photo-taker crop/adjust/whatever to meet the required aspect ratio.
wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:59 pm Yeah, so how do I do that with my point and shoot?
You do the cropping in the computer. Load the photo, then crop to meet the aspect ratio. You can use Windows Photo Viewer. You can also crop the photo in Word, but it takes some manipulation to do a "Save As" and get your photo out of the Word docx.

And I'm one of those guys who thinks the motorbike isn't the most important element in the photo. Mountains, dude; mountains.
LKLD and raYzerman loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Uncle Hud wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:53 pm Timmy, just tell us the desired aspect ratio, and let each photo-taker crop/adjust/whatever to meet the required aspect ratio.
wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:59 pm Yeah, so how do I do that with my point and shoot?
You do the cropping in the computer. Load the photo, then crop to meet the aspect ratio. You can use Windows Photo Viewer. You can also crop the photo in Word, but it takes some manipulation to do a "Save As" and get your photo out of the Word docx.

And I'm one of those guys who thinks the motorbike isn't the most important element in the photo. Mountains, dude; mountains.
Yeah, I think I'll have Timmy do it.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I don't like being told what that aspect ratio must be 'cause it infringes on the artistic expression of the photographer, but I do get it. Went through this with the magazines. My dad, the freelance shutterbug says "they make the rules". He's right. Each photograph on the calendar has to wind up the same size. It is what it is.

It's just that very often, there is a really good (or perfect) photograph that has something stupid caught in the outer edge of it. I crop that out and voila - into the ride report it goes. With the a/r issue, I have to crop all 4 sides and often, that forces me to cut good stuff out on at least 2 other sides, and often all 3. At least with the calendar (like the magazines), I know what it's going to be, whether I do it or not.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

This thread annoys me a little. Let me explain.

I simply do not want the workload for Tim to increase with any or all consternation from the group. The calendar is absolutely one of my favorite things. I know I could put one of them together of the top 12 shots of my bike, but I really love seeing where others have gone.

All the parameters are fine by me. Tim does all the work, let him do his thing. Last thing we all want is for him to say is "Those FJR guys are a bunch of nagging babies, I am done doing calendars"

Just my penny. (I know its not worth 2 cents)
Uncle Hud, DesignFlaw06, Festus and 4 others loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Cav47 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:00 am Just my penny. (I know its not worth 2 cents)
Well, dammit, do the math and just throw in another penny!

Meanwhile, in Canada we did away with the silly things, you should too!
wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:25 am
Cav47 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:00 am Just my penny. (I know its not worth 2 cents)
Well, dammit, do the math and just throw in another penny!

Meanwhile, in Canada we did away with the silly things, you should too!
I'd say it was worth much more...even a two-nie! I wholeheartedly say, make it as effortless for the person actually putting the time in. Screw gixxerjasen...he can deal with it. :lol: :lol: :lol: ...and so can we.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

The image I end up using is 2300x1800, but I don't really know what the margin of error is. Despite my best efforts, the photos aren't always printed perfectly positioned. I'll look back through my old calendars and see if I can get a better idea. There's also the spiral bound page connector to consider.

I still have to turn away pictures that are in the portrait orientation or ones with resolution so low that it wouldn't print well as a postage stamp. And you think everyone is going to crop and size correctly themselves? Use that aspect ratio if you want, but I am going to tweak it as I see fit. Honestly, it will only affect one or two people at most. What I will try to do is crop the image first before uploading it so it is as representative as it can be to the final product when people vote.

While I'm at it, keep your camera on the highest resolution and don't edit original images. Make a copy. Storage is cheap and if you're disciplined about your directory structure, it doesn't add any overhead. You never know when you'll want some of that deleted portion back.

As for the caption idea, I've done it in the past. Most don't submit anything and the ones that do range from "This is my bike" to a hppants ride report novel. What you can do is submit captions for your photo and they will show up on the voting page.

Am I annoyed? No, but I do really like the word consternation. I don't have any of that either, I just like the word. I asked for feedback, but I understand how others can miscontrue feedback for ungratefulness or criticism. That is especially true in a text-based form of communication. And not to sound like a jackass, but I hold all the cards here. I don't have to listen to or abide by anyone's feedback. Next year could only be mugshot photos from Bust's beastiality arrests. Fortunately, I care about making a nice calendar that anyone could be proud of hanging. Every year, I'll continue to make improvements. This past contest improvements weren't visible to you guys, but all the background work I put in made life a lot easier for me. My goal for next year will be to get the images more representative of the final product. Maybe one day, I'll get to the point where you can upload your own image and do the appropriate cropping through the site yourself. I know it's possible, but there's only so much time.

At this point of the year, I'm happy to be done with the calendar. It allows me to say something is checked off my list and I can enjoy the fruits of my labor. Don't worry, I'll be back at it in the fall. :)
Steel_Gin, NTXFJR, CraigRegs and 9 others loved this
TimDog!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

woohoo!
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Well done, Timmy.
wheatonFJR loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Fair enough.

"Ride Report Novel".... Hmmm.... kind of has a ring to it.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

IMHO, forum handle is fine, don't need a caption... the photos speak 1000 words as is. You've done a fine job, Tim. I'm just happy to have a calendar.
wheatonFJR and Festus loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Uncle Hud
Veteran

Post by Uncle Hud »

I am also enjoying the fruits of your labor! Thanks, man; I owe you a beer!

(... and if you wanna know where the photo was taken, PM the photographer!)
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

I like this point:
Cav47 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:00 am Tim does all the work, let him do his thing. Last thing we all want is for him to say is "Those FJR guys are a bunch of nagging babies, I am done doing calendars"
and this one even more:
DesignFlaw06 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:48 pm And not to sound like a jackass, but I hold all the cards here.
Note(s) to self - what can I do to make this better or easier for Tim? Camera on highest resolution setting - always, and shoot more landscape oriented photos.

And most importantly - THANK YOU, Tim - for your efforts in running another awesome calendar project!!

Wayne
Uncle Hud, Auburn, CraigRegs and 6 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Here's a thought on one of the comments above - captions.

One thing that could be done is set up a slide show that displays on the landing page, and with that, add in any short descriptions that are provided for each photo. If you want to include a link to the ride report (if you did one) for when that picture was taken, it could be added too.

Like this.
Steel_Gin, 1911, and Madmudder loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Uncle Hud
Veteran

Post by Uncle Hud »

Nice!