What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Red »

dcarver wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:42 pmNew to me front and rear rotors. But now the front is dragging a bit.. probably rear master cylinder too full, slightly pressurizing the system?
dcarver,

If so, release the pressure at the bleed screw(s). Only fluid should be released, not any air. If you get air from the bleeders, bleed the brakes again. Beyond that, if needed, loosen the caliper mount bolts. Apply and hold the front brake lever with a bungee cord, and torque the caliper mount bolts to spec. When the lever is released, the brake pads should not drag. Make some short test rides, and check if the rotors are getting too hot to touch. Warm is okay, but not hot. Keep us posted.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Well then, Chuck, that sounds like a refresh is in order for peace of mind..... you might want to think of an 850 lbs. spring while you're at it, springs are somewhere around $100. I had my Penske rebuild here locally by an expert suspension shop for C$200-ish. Anybody local to you? Penske parts are easy to get.... try the dual sport/dirt bike shops.......
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:07 pm Well then, Chuck, that sounds like a refresh is in order for peace of mind..... you might want to think of an 850 lbs. spring while you're at it, springs are somewhere around $100. I had my Penske rebuild here locally by an expert suspension shop for C$200-ish. Anybody local to you? Penske parts are easy to get.... try the dual sport/dirt bike shops.......
Penske is in Reading,PA about 65 miles from my house. I'll just drop it off right at their shop.

I did consider what you said about just install it and ride but we're taking auto train heading south in mid April and with my luck it would start leaking on the way home from Florida when we're 2 up and traveling. Cheap insurance to just rebuild it before the real riding season gets here and shops like Penske could be booked up.
Niehart, raYzerman, and wheatonFJR loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Bugnatr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:47 am In colder temps bring the wheels and tires in the house for 24 hours (my wife absolutely loves when I put tires next to the wood stove :lol: ) and warm the rubber up. Makes it so much easier to remove that stubborn rubber.
Car trunk or cabin does a good job warming tires in the sun.
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

N4HHE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:43 pm
Bugnatr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:47 am In colder temps bring the wheels and tires in the house for 24 hours (my wife absolutely loves when I put tires next to the wood stove :lol: ) and warm the rubber up. Makes it so much easier to remove that stubborn rubber.
'That's no way to piss off the little woman :lol:
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Bugnatr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:52 pm
N4HHE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:43 pm
'That's no way to piss off the little woman :lol:
Put them in the car and she might not notice.
Bring them inside the house, you sleep on the sofa for the next week.
Bugnatr loved this
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

Anyone have experience with a Traxxion upgrade? At the EOM a couple years ago I spoke with one rider who had it done and said it was a great upgrade for his FJR. Yes its very expensive but I had the "Mega Monty" Traxxion upgrade done on my 08 Wing and on that big bike it made a world of difference and was worth every cent. It also made a huge difference in tire cupping on the Wing. I am lucky to get 5k on my FJR tires and hope it might help there. I also had the AK's put on my Z900 and now my teeth do not rattle out riding on rougher roads.

My 2016 has close to 40K now and I can start to feel the suspension going south. This is the last bike I am buying so figure why not make it the best it can be. I know there are less expensive upgrades but like taking the bike down to Woodstock Ga and in a few hours I am on the road. Nice to live close to them. Appreciate any constructive feedback. Thanks
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Blueridgerider wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:51 pm Anyone have experience with a Traxxion upgrade? At the EOM a couple years ago I spoke with one rider who had it done and said it was a great upgrade for his FJR. Yes its very expensive but I had the "Mega Monty" Traxxion upgrade done on my 08 Wing and on that big bike it made a world of difference and was worth every cent. It also made a huge difference in tire cupping on the Wing. I am lucky to get 5k on my FJR tires and hope it might help there. I also had the AK's put on my Z900 and now my teeth do not rattle out riding on rougher roads.

My 2016 has close to 40K now and I can start to feel the suspension going south. This is the last bike I am buying so figure why not make it the best it can be. I know there are less expensive upgrades but like taking the bike down to Woodstock Ga and in a few hours I am on the road. Nice to live close to them. Appreciate any constructive feedback. Thanks
You are already aware that suspension is the best bang for improving your riding experience, hands down....so I will not preach to the choir. Besides Traxxion, Cogent Dynamics in Fletcher, NC are another option for you to compare.

Cogent website
Blueridgerider loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I have the full monty on my 07 FJR. AK's up front and Penske triple clicker in the rear. I got a killer deal from a guy looking to trade his FJR in on a new bike and wasn't getting anything for the suspension upgrades. That said, I had 60K on my rear shock and it really wasn't doing anything, so I got the most noticeable difference in the rear, which was huge. I would love to speak for the AK improvement, but since it was done all at once and the difference in the rear really made me not notice the difference so much in the front. My experience isn't so helpful here since the front end is the more expensive part. If I were doing this on my own without the killer deal, I'd do just the rear to start, because that's likely where yours also needs help, and then see how the front end feels and whether or not it needs the upgrade.
Blueridgerider and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Well, if you are hooked on AK 20's then my suggestion may not take hold......

Those who went there lauded it, however, what the bang for the buck is (my opinion) is upgraded springs. I'd suggest you get the nice plug and play Traxxion fork spring kit and install it..... leave the valving alone until you see how much better the new springs are....... fresh oil (a tad thicker, say true 5W or 7.5-8W with nice clean stock cartridges.... biggest bang for the buck. IF you don't think it's as good as you need it after that, then pony yourself up for the AK-20's or even Andreani's.

However, you've got a Gen3+, so now you need some expensive machining on that dummy left fork to allow the AK20 to go in there, and I think Traxxion wants some pretty good $$ for that too. Take a look at the lower fork legs on each side and you'll immediately see the difference (no compression adjuster).
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

I sometimes wonder if people praise their new $uspen$ion, in part, to justify how much it cost them. There is no doubt in my mind that both front and rear upgrades are significant improvements but they don't make the bike go from being a total pig to being a gazelle. Perhaps there is enough difference if you are riding on a track or are pushing the performance envelope in alpine twisties. IMHO, if you are riding that way on a daily basis, you have the wrong motorcycle. Lots of cheaper bikes that do that stuff better than the FJR!

I bought my '07 used, with low (12,000) miles. It had the Penske rear shock and the front had been upgraded with Hyperpro springs. Never had any complaints. After putting 185,000 miles on it, I got a smoking deal on a 2011 that came with the full Traxxion AK-20 on the front and a rear Penske. I found the difference to be noticeable (in a nice way) but not earth-shattering. (At least for my riding habits.) To be honest, I never rode an FJR with completely stock suspension. If I had a Gen II with a completely stock front end, I think I would go for the spring upgrade but would find it hard to justify the AK-20 cost - again for my riding needs. Even harder to justify with a Gen III as Ray mentioned.

Note: I did put the OEM rear shock back on my '07 when getting the Penske serviced and I was happy to get the Penske back! That is a bigger bang for the buck.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

FJRoss wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:20 am Note: I did put the OEM rear shock back on my '07 when getting the Penske serviced and I was happy to get the Penske back! That is a bigger bang for the buck.
This, especially if it's worn out. Probably don't need the full triple clicker though, but it's good for bragging rights.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I agree that all the OEM rear shocks suck..... Gen3 less so, but nothing rocks like aftermarket shocks.... several available, talk to Cogent.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

FJRoss wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:20 am IMHO, if you are riding that way on a daily basis, you have the wrong motorcycle.
I will always only have one motorcycle. I want to tour and have fun in the twisties. I have the right motorcycle. Therefore, suspension upgrades are huge IF the stock suspension is letting you down... Because it's tired, or whatever. But as Ray has mentioned, tweak the inexpensive things first, unless you have just gobs of money you are aching to get rid of. If all that fails, get the full monty.

I will have the FJR until muscle atrophy makes it not physically comfortable to operate at parking lot speeds. Then I will tour less on a lighter bike with low seat height.
Last edited by wheatonFJR on Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FastPappy and Blueridgerider loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:53 am
FJRoss wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:20 am IMHO, if you are riding that way on a daily basis, you have the wrong motorcycle.
I will always only have one motorcycle. I want to tour and have fun in the twisies. I have the right motorcycle. Therefore, suspension upgrades are huge IF the stock suspension is letting you down... Because it's tired, or whatever. But as Ray has mentioned, tweak the inexpensive things first, unless you just gobs of money you are aching to get rid of. If all that fails, get the full monty.

I will have the FJR until muscle atrophy makes it not physically comfortable to operate at parking lot speeds. Then I will tour less on a lighter bike with low seat height.
Not dissing the FJR in any way. One of the best all around street motorcycles ever made and at a very reasonable cost but arguably not the best at anything (other than possibly it's outstanding reliability).

I will never own another motorcycle to improve upon handling, speed or power. This one does all I personally need. (Something for the "roads less traveled" may be in the cards.) I agree that you should fix the inexpensive things first but you shouldn't expect miracles after that - incremental improvements (after doing the rear shock).
Blueridgerider and wheatonFJR loved this
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

Thanks to all who gave me great feedback. I truly appreciate it. I have been kicking this around for a good while and your responses helped me make a decision. At this point in my retired life I just want to keep things as simple as possible. We all have probably heard the term "Opportunity Cost" Having dealt with Traxxion for many years now I know what I am going to get. Very simple, I am there at 9am and usually on my way home by noon or so. I know I am getting a great if not the best upgrade. To say there is something better is splitting hairs IMHO as anything I do is costly. There is a cost of the unknown as well. Making many phone calls to others to try to find someone knowledgeable about the FJR and about what they recommend at what cost. Takes lots of time and then you wonder if its the right choice etc. And still costs $$$

Wheaton is right on with the way I think saying "I will always only have one motorcycle. I want to tour and have fun in the twisties. I have the right motorcycle. Therefore, suspension upgrades are huge IF the stock suspension is letting you down.

We live in the same area where the straight roads quickly take you to the twisty ones riding locally but I do a good amount of touring all year so the FJR is the right motorcycle for me and for all of that. I have a Z900 and its a fast knee dragging bike for sure but 90% of the time when I am heading to the hills I take the FJR. Its just great at everything but the suspension is quickly wearing out.

Expensive is all relative. Most of us spend big bucks just to live in your home etc. You get another month another year paying month after month. A ton of dough. For a couple grand I know my FJR will be as good as it can be for as long as I have it which will be until I turn in the 2 wheel keys. For the remaining time I have it every time I get on it it will provide the utmost enjoyment. no more thinking about I love this bike but the suspension sucks and is getting worse fast. As my dear ole Dad always said, KISS Keep is simple stupid so in this case I am making the trip to Woodstock soon and will give an honest assessment of how much better the bike is with their upgrade. Thanks again.
wheatonFJR loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Awesome, can't wait to hear your review. The good news is you can fully test your suspension on the local roads around Traxxion both before and after you get the work done.
Blueridgerider wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:50 pm We live in the same area where the straight roads quickly take you to the twisty ones
Sigh, unlike where I live, the twisty roads quickly take you to straight roads. :(
My Blog

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Blueridgerider wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:50 pm... I am making the trip to Woodstock soon and will give an honest assessment of how much better the bike is with their upgrade. Thanks again.
I look forward to your comments.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

With this cold January, just walked past the FJR hooked up to the tender. Burrrrrr.
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:40 pm With this cold January, just walked past the FJR hooked up to the tender. Burrrrrr.
It is all relative. -32°C here early this morning (-26°F). Windchill close to -40 which doesn't need a conversion. Our coldest day this winter. Going up to a balmy -6°C tomorrow afternoon (22°F). Almost like summer!

I usually target St. Patrick's day for a first ride of the season - if only around the block. Only possible maybe half the time. (55 more days)