Auxiliary Tank

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Re: Auxiliary Tank

Post by NTXFJR »

"Chaffing at the bit" :D

Marty, do you take paypal??
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
Joe2Lmaker
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

Post by Joe2Lmaker »

FJRfarrier wrote: Joe- I would like to holler pretty loudly for the flat top. Unless you can sway me strongly for the other design.
You are clearly a man with very good taste and I shall not try to dissuade you. The flat top is my preference too.
O.k. good. One issue settled... moving right along
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

LOL - "she" is...
Joe2Lmaker wrote:
FJRfarrier wrote: Joe- I would like to holler pretty loudly for the flat top. Unless you can sway me strongly for the other design.
You are clearly a man with very good taste and I shall not try to dissuade you. The flat top is my preference too.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012

Post by FJRfarrier »

Joe2Lmaker wrote:
Woman. So yeah..... close enough. But you were right about everything else. lol.
I haven’t made any really bad decisions lately... I’m getting bored.

IBA #60909
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

You are essentially putting together a small group buy. Post it here, post it there. I'd suggest you duplicate the posts and not just point or link to the thread here from there. I'd also post it to the Facebook group as well.

If you're not in good standing over there, then you miss out on that market.

Joe2Lmaker wrote:
Next question: Since the other forum views this forum as a buncha malicious malcontents, I'm wondering if there is a way to make it known over there that these tanks will be built.
Making something known over there that something is going on over here is problematic.
However, there are good people over there, just as there are good people over here. And, everybody would win because the price would drop.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
ts3doug
Veteran
FJRModel: 08 a/07 speed tiple

Post by ts3doug »

FJRfarrier wrote:
ts3doug wrote:
FJRfarrier wrote: Chomping at the bit...
While we are on the subject of education, I believe it's champing at the bit
I'm a horse person. Things are different in the barn.... and we "chomp" at the bit.

Joe- I would like to holler pretty loudly for the flat top. Unless you can sway me strongly for the other design.
I figured as much by your forum handle.

It's still champing
Joe2Lmaker
Casual Rider

Post by Joe2Lmaker »

Joe2Lmaker wrote:
You are clearly a person with very good taste and I shall not try to dissuade you. The flat top is my preference too.
O.k. good. Two issues settled... moving right along
That raises another issue. I am 6'3+". I never considered for a moment riding with the seat in the low position.
We need to get you a definitive answer about the fit of the tank with your seat (assuming I didn't also guess that wrong).

I am certain I could find two owners who are using these in the low seat position, but for me is seemed too snug. I will need to find those characters and make sure they found no issues.
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012

Post by FJRfarrier »

Joe2Lmaker wrote:
Joe2Lmaker wrote:
You are clearly a person with very good taste and I shall not try to dissuade you. The flat top is my preference too.
O.k. good. Two issues settled... moving right along
That raises another issue. I am 6'3+". I never considered for a moment riding with the seat in the low position.
We need to get you a definitive answer about the fit of the tank with your seat (assuming I didn't also guess that wrong).

I am certain I could find two owners who are using these in the low seat position, but for me is seemed too snug. I will need to find those characters and make sure they found no issues.
I'm somewhere around 5'10". I have a Russell, and I ride with it in the high position. so hopefully no issue there.
I haven’t made any really bad decisions lately... I’m getting bored.

IBA #60909
Joe2Lmaker
Casual Rider

Post by Joe2Lmaker »

extrememarine wrote:You are essentially putting together a small group buy. Post it here, post it there. I'd suggest you duplicate the posts and not just point or link to the thread here from there. I'd also post it to the Facebook group as well.

If you're not in good standing over there, then you miss out on that market.
Well, I'm not in terrible standing over there. I don't go there unless I get into a situation like this current one. For example, in 2015 someone there asked me about a tank. If I recall correctly, we didn't quite get to the price break threshold, one short. In hindsight, I should have made mention of the group buy here. I believe the rules would have allowed that.

The posting of group buy content from there is strictly verboten. So, I will be careful not to do that.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Joe2Lmaker wrote:Next question: Since the other forum views this forum as a buncha malicious malcontents, I'm wondering if there is a way to make it known over there that these tanks will be built.
Making something known over there that something is going on over here is problematic.
However, there are good people over there, just as there are good people over here. And, everybody would win because the price would drop.
Seems pretty simple. Just announce that you are making a run of these tanks available to the FJR community as a whole. I don't see where you need to specify how many forums you've posted it on or which ones. If you get run out on a rail for that, well, then some people are jerks. Otherwise, you are offering a limited run of a quality product for FJR owners as a whole. Nuttin wrong with that.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

Yup...Start a group buy thread. People will jump on, if they're looking for a tank. Easy!!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote:
Joe2Lmaker wrote: I don't see where you need to specify how many forums you've posted it on or which ones. If you get run out on a rail for that, well, then some people are jerks. - Nuttin wrong with that.
Yes.

The world as it should be.

Not necessarily how it is.

Joe, kudos to you for going through the hassle of all this. Griff thanks you.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Auxiliary Tank

Post by NTXFJR »

He SHOULD thank him - for all the trouble he's caused.....jsns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

NTXFJR wrote:He SHOULD thank him - for all the trouble he's caused.....jsns
Griff is such a dick. Always making trouble.
wheatonFJR loved this
Joe2Lmaker
Casual Rider

Post by Joe2Lmaker »

I might be overthinking the valve thing.

My concern was, that as a high seat, flush mount, auxiliary pump preferring person, I might not be considering the needs of others.
There is a person who bought one of my tanks in the first group buy. And, when one of the second group buy participants was disappointed because the orders didn't make the cost-break threshold, this person bought that tank also.
So, I contacted my official Tag-Along-Tank Owner Expert and asked them if I was worrying about nothing.
If they chime in, we will have a definitive answer. If I don't hear back, I'm not going to drive down to the house and knock on the door. I will just assume that I was worried about nothing, and base that reasoning on what I've already told you.

Owning two of these tanks? Who does that unless they are a satisfied customer? (and the second tank was more expensive than the first!)
griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by griff »

0face wrote:
Griff is such a dick. Always making trouble.
I'm beginning to regret that I asked Joe to pursue this. :lol:

And to you Marty - where the hell is that big finger the other cat box has :D :D
wheatonFJR loved this
Joe2Lmaker
Casual Rider

Post by Joe2Lmaker »

Alright.
My continuous improvement ideas were unfounded. It sounds like the panel mount valve I selected all those years ago was the right choice, considering the design parameters. Those would be: limited space in which to make a 90 degree change in the direction of flow. And a way to attach it to the tank.
There will be no design changes to the Tag-Along-Tank in this group buy.
(if it ain't broke, don't fix it)

Next step(s):
• I need to check my spreadsheet, make sure the same part numbers of barbed fittings, valves, clamps and tubing are still available.
• Request current quotes on the sheet metal work
• Find a shop to make various risers, bungs, bushings, sleeves, etc. that I used to make myself
Joe2Lmaker
Casual Rider

Post by Joe2Lmaker »

Well, the time over there seems well spent.
I believe we have another interested party. We might be at the first price-break plateau.

I couldn't figure out how to post a link to the beginning of the third group buy within their forum. I'll be damned if I will attempt it here.
If my memory serves me, it was at the bottom of the 9th page in my group buy thread, and the post was like 167 or something.
If you would rather not visit another FJR Forum, please PM me with your interest. I added an "anonymous" column to the list. You will be counted as a participant.

We are off to the races.

griff. This is your baby (ugly as it might be). You get to determine how long this group buy is open. Lead-time is about five weeks to build. I will need some time after that to assemble, package, bitch, moan, and ship.

Pick a date. Let me know.
Gramps
FJRModel: '13 Tiger Explorer

Post by Gramps »

griff wrote: I'm beginning to regret that I asked Joe to pursue this. :lol:
Oh now, without you griff (and a little dose of "Joe humor") my January would have been the shitz. :lol:
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views." Doctor Who 1/22/1977

Marc
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Gramps wrote:
griff wrote: I'm beginning to regret that I asked Joe to pursue this. :lol:
Oh now, without you griff (and a little dose of "Joe humor") my January would have been the shitz. :lol:
Don't ever ask Joe to pursue anything...especially if the left lane is blocked. No sir.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey