RIP - my buddy 1911/Duane Wellington just passed away

This subforum will contain memorial posts and memories of those members who have departed but live on in the stories shared here.
Forum rules
This subforum is listed in the public area - no log in is required to view; please keep that in mind when posting here.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: RIP - my buddy 1911/Duane Wellington just passed away

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:36 am I’ll be the guy in dripping wet aerostich. They may lock me in the kitchen…
Hugs are allowed buddy. My suit can handle it.
CollingsBob loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Mark,

I do not recall reading Duane’s recount of the event, but that all makes sense in my head. And in typical fashion, Duane’s lack of verbalized words has nothing to do with his keen attention and observations. He saw it all and rarely said anything unless truly needed. His skill of silence is considerable.

I guess the stage of grief I am in right now is Pissed that we won’t get to experience the amazing traits and presence of this man again.

I know the grief will pass, but not the hole in our lives left from this.
tidrick, ZOOOMM, bigjohnsd and 3 others loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

bigjohnsd wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:53 am Wheaton- I know I met Duane at YFO and at EOM, but as many have said, he was a man of few words. For whatever it is worth, like many here, I'm with you all in spirit today and tomorrow.
We said John, a lot of us will be there is spirit.
BikerGeek, El Toro Joe, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Bugnatr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:09 pm
bigjohnsd wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:53 am Wheaton- I know I met Duane at YFO and at EOM, but as many have said, he was a man of few words. For whatever it is worth, like many here, I'm with you all in spirit today and tomorrow.
We said John, a lot of us will be there is spirit.
Yes, absolutely. A man to be celebrated for the short time we enjoyed his company. Best wishes to all.
Bugnatr, El Toro Joe, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

I never met Duane but enjoyed reading his Ride Reports and other posts as well. I will miss seeing his contributions to forum!! Thoughts and Prayers to his family and friends on and off two wheels.
wheatonFJR and Bugnatr loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I was privileged to attend visitation today. In addition to Wheaton being six places at once, taking care of everybody, I really enjoyed speaking with Jim and Iris, Tommy848, and the godfather, hppants.

Rough time. But it was nice to see some fine folks. The footage, photos, shooting trophies, and riding artifacts on display merely reinforced my opinion that 1911 was one of the last real cowboys.
Last edited by bill lumberg on Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugnatr, BikerGeek, ZOOOMM and 9 others loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Well, back home from visitation.

Saw Marilee, daughters, sons in laws, Duane's mother, and Duane's younger brother. Met each and will have more to say later. Learned lots at the visitation of this buddy of mine, and lots about Marilee as well. Awesome stuff...so glad to learn. Duane's mom remembered me, which astonished me as we only met one time. What was special was meeting Duane's daughters and son's in law, long overdue. Talked with Duane's brother a little bit. Saw lots of photographs. I hate to say this, but it appears that Duane and Marilee were arranged as a child marriage.

Saw Joey, griff, jim/iris, and Lumberg . Saw Tommy848 and Kay.

Lumberg brought the proper Stitch for this riding weather!

More later...
Last edited by wheatonFJR on Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugnatr, ZOOOMM, El Toro Joe and 7 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

One of the hardest things I've tried to learn is that when we lose someone, we should be grateful that we were allowed to be in their lives and get to experience the wonderful aspects of that person. How lucky are we for having known him? It's profound, isn't it? So sad we ran short on getting to know him better, but so fortunate to even be blessed enough to get a glimpse into their lives and who they are as people. It's taking me a long time to go on this journey of being thankful and I'm not there yet, but I do know that I feel blessed and very lucky to have spoken to him on the phone a time or two as well as ride with him once.

There are some people we should be in awe of because they are great human beings. They don't give everyone the privilege of coming into their lives but once they do, you're in for a real special thing. From reading his posts and however briefly we spoke, it was clear, he was one of those people.

I couldn't wait to ride with him again. I sure don't feel very lucky right this minute, but I know, in the big picture, I am lucky to even have been allowed a peek into his life. I hope his family knows there are people from all over that will be there to help, should they need it.

We should also realize that special people like Duane picked his friends carefully and he picked Wheaton as a riding buddy. That speaks volumes to me. You're a good Man, Mark. I hope you know that.
bigjohnsd, Bugnatr, ZOOOMM and 5 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Festus, I appreciate the compliment, but knowing Duane..he just loved to ride, with a riding buddy who would ride, even better. Roads are even better with a willing riding buddy, even if I was a little more aggressive than he was at times. "Wheaton passes" not withstanding, he was very patient with me, and overlooked my faults.

Again, I rue all the lost trips and riding I had planned for in the future, heck this year. They would have been epic. But who am I to complain, when a woman has lost her sweetheart?
bigjohnsd, CollingsBob, Redfish and 4 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

I was all dressed up in a suit, as best I could for my friend. However, if my emotional state wasn't in such a turmoil, I would have arrived on an FJR in proper riding gear, like Duane would have wanted. However, I am prone to daydreaming and losing focus in this emotional state, so in deference to my weakness I suited up in my best suit, not proper riding gear like Lumberg.
Last edited by wheatonFJR on Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigjohnsd, CollingsBob, Redfish and 2 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 CanAm Spyder ST

Post by Tyler »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:05 pm I was all dressed up in a suit, as best I could for my friend. However, if my emotional state wasn't in such a turmoil, I would have arrived on an FJR in proper riding gear, like Duane would have wanted. However, I am prone to daydreaming and losing focus in this state, so, in deference to my weakness I suited up in my best suit, not riding gear.
Wise choice, Mark... gotta listen to The Voice and acknowledge the sanity (or in-sanity) that goes with it... better to have you there and back in one piece... I'm not ready for another loss of a moto friend. <3
bigjohnsd, Redfish, LKLD and 1 others loved this
"Spend time with those who make you better." ~Anonymous
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

I wish I could be there, to pay respects to Duane, and show Marilee how we support our own.

Mark, please let her, and her family, know that there are a lot more who are saddened by Duane’s passing, than those who are able to make the service.

Duane was family…to all of us, whether we met him or not.
Steel_Gin, bigjohnsd, Festus and 2 others loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

LKLD wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:41 pm I wish I could be there, to pay respects to Duane, and show Marilee how we support our own.

Mark, please let her, and her family, know that there are a lot more who are saddened by Duane’s passing, than those who are able to make the service.

Duane was family…to all of us, whether we met him or not.
I absolutely already did. In fact, I am hoping to make a Remembrance Ride possible so yall can express condolences to Duane's bride in person. The fiddle may even come out if that comes to fruition.
Intech, Sooze, BikerGeek and 2 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
fjrob
Veteran
FJRModel: 03

Post by fjrob »

I'm sorry to read this. My heart goes out to Duane's family and friends.

Rob
natehawk750 and wheatonFJR loved this
#1 frost back!!!
Swp
Squid
FJRModel: 2014

Post by Swp »

Thinking of Duane and his family and all that are traveling today. I wish I could pay my respects in person but am not able to do so. I will be there in spirit today.
El Toro Joe, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
JWilly's other half
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

No idea how I missed this entire thread when it started.

Damn I hate this. I met Duane at SFO in 2019. That was only about a month after Dianne and I had been involved in our accident at EOM. Duane asked about both of us and how we were doing coming off something like that. Asked about the 2014 that replaced my 2007. Genuinely nice guy. I spoke with him again back in June last year in GA when we gathered to pay our respects to Jason. I wish I could say I knew him more but mostly what I knew came from his ride reports and from the stories now told by folks who knew him better. That's my loss.

Wheatie, take care of yourself and do what you can for Marilee. It's obvious you were a close friend and it shows. My condolences.
wheatonFJR and Bugnatr loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
Iris
FJRModel: 2005 and 2014ES

Post by Iris »

I still feel like I am at a loss for words as I try to get my head around this.
My first thought is disbelief. How could this happen?
Other jumbled thoughts are my memories of meeting Duane (and Marilee).
As many others have said, Duane was quiet, but I found that when he had something to say, I wanted to hear it and listen.
A few weeks ago I said to Jim that we should try to ride up to Paint Bank with him and Marilee (on their annual trip up there). I wanted to get to know them both better and I thought this sounded like a good opportunity.
We have been with Duane on handful of rides and a few events. I wish there were more to come and I feel sort of robbed.

My heart goes out to Marilee. I wanted to hug her and take the pain away. I can’t even begin to imagine what she is going through.

We felt honored to see the pictures and meet his mother, daughters, son in laws, and his brother.
We were able to get a closer glimpse of Duane’s life that I hadn’t known.
He will be remembered as a truly unique and honorable man, and he will be missed.
El Toro Joe, bigjohnsd, LKLD and 8 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Well said. Well said indeed. You have spoken my thoughts.
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Burnspot
Veteran
FJRModel: 2020 Super Tenere

Post by Burnspot »

Just checked in, for the first time in awhile, and saw this; my condolences to Duane's family! I'm sorry for your loss Mark. I'm pretty sure I met and talked with Duane a few times over the years; I seem to recall him being a quiet fellow. He will be missed.
wheatonFJR loved this
Scott
https://burnspot.smugmug.com/
RIP Petey, Jason, and Don...JSNS
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

These are Duane's photos from Duane's and my last 2-day trip to SW VA and Paint Bank in October of 2020...the trip that helped me get my FJR mojo back on after a rough spell. I will MISS this man. - Mark

PS- I believe Marilee had a warm Apple Pie waiting for him when he got home from that trip. He knew that she loved him. I know that he loved her...and I bet she knows that he loved her as well.
1911 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:27 am
wheatonFJR wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:37 pm 470 miles of wonderment. Dont have the photos to back it up...but this trip deserves a write-up.
Make each word worth a thousand pix. Actual photos just put limits on the reader's imagination.

Imagination restrictors:

Do use imagination contemplating how the house smelled when I got home to this

Awesome weekend!
Redfish, LKLD, Steel_Gin and 2 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.