The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by fontanaman »

I scored a rear RS3 on Amazon for $142. Amazon does not have front RS3's for the FJR so I went with Dennis Kirk for $118. I wouldn't wait to long. Seems they are selling these out. Next year we can score something else about to go out of production and save big coin vs the RS5 and Michelin R7.

I revived a thread that hadn't seen a post in 4.5 years. Way to go Jim! Darn near as impressive as installing the rear RS3 in 10 minutes using a NoMar changer, aka no pneumatic assistance. :D

This was much better than posting this to what did you do to your FJR today, no?
bigjohnsd and wheatonFJR loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I ordered a set of RS3s from Amazon today for $250 shipped. They will be at my front door (home) 8/21/23

I brought a set with me to GA and had them mounted this morning. It’s like a new bike.
bigjohnsd and wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Funny how yer all hung up on running the same tire front and rear.... if you can't get your matching front, get something else. As for yer Michelins, they have soft sidewalls, so likely best use the GT version of those.
SkooterG and danh600 loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I don’t mind using different tires front and back, and have had to from time to time.

I can’t find a better value than the RS3, front or rear.
FJRPittsburgh, bigjohnsd, and fontanaman loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Hppants wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:55 pm I don’t mind using different tires front and back, and have had to from time to time.

I can’t find a better value than the RS3, front or rear.
They sure are some stiff bastages to install though!
Hppants loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

I bought a set of RS4s last year that are still waiting to be mounted.
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Hppants wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:50 pm I ordered a set of RS3s from Amazon today for $250 shipped. They will be at my front door (home) 8/21/23

I brought a set with me to GA and had them mounted this morning. It’s like a new bike.
Did you bring the tools to take the wheels off or did you just let a shop do all of the work?
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

D-Eagle wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:24 am
Hppants wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:50 pm I ordered a set of RS3s from Amazon today for $250 shipped. They will be at my front door (home) 8/21/23

Did you bring the tools to take the wheels off or did you just let a shop do all of the work?
Didn’t pack the No mar machine. Went to a mechanic at the recommendation of Lumberg. Good guy - did a good job.

Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

I wonder how much your individual riding style impacts the wear on a tire. I can say, without question, that my tires wear much rounder now than they did 40,000 miles ago. Same tires brand/model, only thing different is my skill set, which I like to hope is significantly higher than it was 40,000 miles ago.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Anybody who rides with me knows that I will push a tire pretty good - both of them. No point in having 145 hp if you don’t use it.

If I can’t square off the front with my riding style, that puppy has a stiff sidewall.

The RS3 is the one for me.
N4HHE and FJRPittsburgh loved this

danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

I am no Wheaty but I am happy with what I got out of these tires.
BT023 that came on the bike.
Back is down to the wear bars and even used more of the sides since I live in NC. Front has a little life. Not at wear bars but some squaring off and a few places it cupped.

6250 miles.

Waiting for RS3s to be installed.
escapefjrtist, N4HHE, and FJRPittsburgh loved this
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Hppants wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:41 pm Anybody who rides with me knows that I will push a tire pretty good - both of them. No point in having 145 hp if you don’t use it.

If I can’t square off the front with my riding style, that puppy has a stiff sidewall.

Please don't think my comment was aimed at anything other than thinking out loud, based on my experiences. Simply me pondering if riding techniques made tires wear quite different. I have compared tire wear patterns with my riding buddy who uses the same tire, over the years, and our tires wear quite differently, even though we ride the same roads together most of the time. Over time, the two of our tires now look much more the same when it comes to wear and I know we've changed our styles quite a lot. I'm not suggesting squaring off a tire is a good or a bad thing, either caused by the tire compound itself or the input into that tire from the willing participant sitting on top.

I can't even put the right amount of air in mine, so I'm no judge :)
Hppants loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Festus wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:31 am
Hppants wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:41 pm Anybody who rides with me knows that I will push a tire pretty good - both of them. No point in having 145 hp if you don’t use it.

Please don't think my comment was aimed at anything other than thinking out loud, based on my experiences. Simply me pondering if riding techniques made tires wear quite different. I have compared tire wear patterns with my riding buddy who uses the same tire, over the years, and our tires wear quite differently, even though we ride the same roads together most of the time. Over time, the two of our tires now look much more the same when it comes to wear and I know we've changed our styles quite a lot. I'm not suggesting squaring off a tire is a good or a bad thing, either caused by the tire compound itself or the input into that tire from the willing participant sitting on top.

Definitely no offense taken. My post was more self-deragatory than anything. At times, especially in the twisties, I push my bike a lot and I'm particularly hard on the front tire. I come in too hot, lean it hard (harder than what is necessary), and sometimes when I'm running too hot, I brake on decel. All of these things are a receipe for scalloping a front tire on a big ole heavy bike. In spite of that, I haven't had this issue with the 8-10 sets of RS3s I've used. And at least 2 of those sets include a front that was down to the cords (on the right side). Still holding it's shape. Having mounted quite a few of those sets myself - the sidewall on that tire is the stiffest I've ever messed with - hands down.

The fact that they are cheap (er... inexpensive) is just icing on the cake for me.
Festus loved this

N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

danh600 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:39 am I am no Wheaty but I am happy with what I got out of these tires.
Back is down to the wear bars and even used more of the sides since I live in NC. Front has a little life. Not at wear bars but some squaring off and a few places it cupped.

6250 miles.

Aw heck, those tires have at least 1000 miles remaining before slick. And a few more after that before the cords show.

I got 6201 miles from my OE BT023, and over 10,000 from the rear (no picture):

Hppants loved this
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

N4HHE wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:57 pm
danh600 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:39 am I am no Wheaty but I am happy with what I got out of these tires.

6250 miles.

Aw heck, those tires have at least 1000 miles remaining before slick. And a few more after that before the cords show.

I got 6201 miles from my OE BT023, and over 10,000 from the rear (no picture):

Another 1500 mile trip on Thursday. I had to do it. :lol: I do enough long trips to have to change tires before they are gone.

Maybe if was doing day rides I would put a few more on the front.

$327 out the door for 2 tires. I am happy.
N4HHE loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

6250 miles.

Looks like yer ready to start a trip on them tars! Lol
danh600 loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

danh600 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:51 pm Another 1500 mile trip on Thursday. I had to do it. :lol: I do enough long trips to have to change tires before they are gone.

Yes, it would be irresponsible to leave on a 1500 mile trip with those tires.

I have the advantage of having the No-Mar tools where I can mount a tire at 10PM on Sunday night if need be. But if sets of RS3 were available mounted and balanced for $327 I might not have. Some years ago "my" Yamaha dealer posted prices above the service door, "$90 to mount front, $70 to mount rear" or vice versa. Plus premium prices for the tires. A friend took 2 tires to another Yamaha dealer and was charged $300 labor. Cost of living in Alabama is supposed to be low.
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

N4HHE wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:22 pm
danh600 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:51 pm Another 1500 mile trip on Thursday. I had to do it. :lol: I do enough long trips to have to change tires before they are gone.

Yes, it would be irresponsible to leave on a 1500 mile trip with those tires.

I have the advantage of having the No-Mar tools where I can mount a tire at 10PM on Sunday night if need be. But if sets of RS3 were available mounted and balanced for $327 I might not have. Some years ago "my" Yamaha dealer posted prices above the service door, "$90 to mount front, $70 to mount rear" or vice versa. Plus premium prices for the tires. A friend took 2 tires to another Yamaha dealer and was charged $300 labor. Cost of living in Alabama is supposed to be low.
It's Ride Now dealerships. "Home of the free tire install." Competitive prices and free install. The one in FL did internet price match. Had to be a major website and not on sale. Good for tires but hard to buy a bike from them. They advertise low price but try to put in ridiculously high fees.

The only problem we had with them is they would not put a PR4GT on my wife's Goldwing Valkyre. They said it was a sport bike tire. It would roll off the rim on the first turn. :lol: They put some expensive cruiser tire on there for her. Worse tire I have ever seen. Dangerous in the wet. When new it had a flat profile and just a few sipes way out on the edge. Any throttle at all when turning in the wet caused the tire to kick out.

The Honda dealer had no problem putting on a PR4GT. Bike handles better now.

The one yesterday is NE of Charlotte. Biggest MC dealer I have ever seen. Easy for me to get to.
I will continue to use them for tires. If I have warranty work I will go back to the one NW of Charlotte. For some reason they gave me a better feeling.
N4HHE loved this
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Hppants wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:34 pm
Festus wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:31 am

Definitely no offense taken. My post was more self-deragatory than anything. At times, especially in the twisties, I push my bike a lot and I'm particularly hard on the front tire. I come in too hot, lean it hard (harder than what is necessary), and sometimes when I'm running too hot, I brake on decel. All of these things are a receipe for scalloping a front tire on a big ole heavy bike. In spite of that, I haven't had this issue with the 8-10 sets of RS3s I've used. And at least 2 of those sets include a front that was down to the cords (on the right side). Still holding it's shape. Having mounted quite a few of those sets myself - the sidewall on that tire is the stiffest I've ever messed with - hands down.

The fact that they are cheap (er... inexpensive) is just icing on the cake for me.
Hey Pants! What tire pressure are you running in the front RS3?
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

40 psi front, 42 psi rear.
fontanaman, El Toro Joe, danh600 and 1 others loved this