Mr. and Mrs. Pants' New England Adventure Summer 2024

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Pants' New England Adventure Summer 2024

Post by raYzerman »

That Viffer is an '07 and came with those 25th Anniversary colours. Best scheme ever. Well, there perhaps was a similar theme on one of the '80's models or at least a couple have tried to duplicate it.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:59 pm That Viffer is an '07 and came with those 25th Anniversary colours. Best scheme ever. Well, there perhaps was a similar theme on one of the '80's models or at least a couple have tried to duplicate it.
Dang, I was just about to post this. Definitely the best Viffer color scheme. My wife's uncle had one and I rode with him in Colorado many years ago.
wheatonFJR loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Honda had a RWB thing going for a while. This was my '84 700s in '86 regalia.

Dan's Viffer is gorgeous. Stock exhaust - sound terrific. Not "Gen 5 with the gear driven cams and a nice throaty aftermarket can" terrific, but "sounds good when you screw it down, but not too obnoxious for all day riding" terrific.
N4HHE, danh600, and Niehart loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

August 5, 2024

Today, I did another Bike-n-Hike. I rode the bicycle up the mountain and locked it to a tree at the Scaur trailhead. I then continued on the livermore road upward about a mile to the old Skidder Trailhead. A skidder is a piece of equipment that is used to "skid" logs to a gathering area where they can be loaded onto a truck or train car. This trail was aptly named - it's very skinny and follows around the mountain on a narrow area that was leveled, presumably by the loggers.

It rained yesterday and so today, there is fungus among us.

I walk about a mile and get to my destination - the Waterville Flume

It's a slot in the rock cut down over millenia by the creek.

Or... to put it another way.... lunch!

My son is coming back next week to visit and explore more. I'll take him here and with a little coaxing, I'll slide down this rock with him.

Walking back to the bicycle, I spy more fungus.

I found these blue berries. They looked delicious, but I didn't try any,

Something took a bite out of these.

This type of mushroom was scattered throughout a section of the trail. The sunlight peeking through the tree canopy hitting these just right made them look illuminated.

I got back to the bicycle and started down the mountain. Since it's early and the rain is holding off, I might as well stop along the way.

More fungus

Plenty of water flowing down the creek today.

Man, this is a special place, and I got it all to myself

BION, I've got a decent cell phone signal, and the radar is showing me that showers are coming. It looks like I've got a couple of hours, but I've learned that in the mountains, you don't cut it that close. So I mounted up on the bicycle and rode back down to the ABB.

Just another day in paradise.....

Stay thirsty, my friends.....
Cav47, Niehart, bigjohnsd and 17 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Cool!
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Beautiful place.
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

August 7, 2024

A dry cool front ran through yesterday and I woke up to clear skies, 51 degrees, and with the mountains calling me, I must go.

I left the townhouse mid morning, ride down to Campton to fuel up, and then back track to Sandwich Notch. I know it's ridiculous, but in this cool dry air, the Bush Pig feels just a bit snappier this morning. It always takes me a few miles to re-acquaint myself with the Dual Sport bike. Things like getting used to the front tire walking a little, studying the best line on the unhomogenous roadway, etc. So I hold the reins a bit early on.

Today, I'm going to veer off the familiar path at times and see what I can find. I've got the Flatlander Loop on my GPS, but I'm looking to make loops and out-n-back rides on side roads and venture out a bit. It doesn't take long to find new adventure around here

Happier than a pig in slop!

I double back to Sandwich Notch road and continue. Whenever I see something that looks interesting, I take it. At the end of a particularly fun 2-track road, I discovered KIah Pond, a paradise mostly left alone. I sat on a shoreline rock and watched this Cormorant enjoy its breakfast, catching minnows effortlessly in this clear, calm water, unabashed in my presense. It had a swagger about it, turning its head toward me with the minnow in its beak as if to convey: "Look at me! I'm the great fisherman!". Indeed.

Still within close proximity of the Flatlander, I move off a bit further near the town of Center Sandwich and popped out of the woods. Behind the camera stands a beautiful Colonial style house on a small hill. An uncovered sitting area in the front yard offers the occupants this gorgeous view, and I couldn't help but stop and smell the grass.

Crossing Hwy 113 hastily, eager to get back on the gravel, I ripped through the familiar Hemenway State Forest in 3rd and 4th gear, fanning the flame on the Piggie whenever I could. I took Chocorua Mtn road to the top and stopped at this meadow for lunch.

.... while the Pig waits seemingly impatiently.....

i crossed Hwy 16 and stayed on the loop track to the Madison/Silver Lake area. I've been here before and stopped to explore something that caught my eye the last time through.

The old train depot was converted to the Post Office, and they have a few "mini" locomotives on display.

Pretty cool old building.

Now back in the woods and running generally southeast, I get to an area called Foss Mountain. Last week, this is as far as I got on the Flatlander loop. I came to a spot that looked sketchy. It was downhill, steep, and the road was washed out pretty bad. I walked down a bit to see if I wanted to try it, and decided not to. If I was with someone else, it would be different. But I'm by myself and at least 3-5 miles from ANY civilization. So I turned around.

When I got home last week, I checked the map and realized that where I turned back, I was only a mile or so from the NH/MA border. Today, my curiosity will not relent, so I routed myself around the tough spot and to the victor goes the spoils.

Uncharacteristically, I didn't take any pictures of my short stint in Maine. It was nice and quiet, shaded, and the gravel was predictable. Now mid afternoon and despite my insatiable curiosity, I need to turn back toward home. It was tough to tug the reins on the Bush Pig. Looking at the digital map and the scenery,there's still a whole new world over there for me to explore. I'll get to it, just not today.

I zig and zag back to Eaton, and, well.... you know.

Over ice cream, I met a man who is a painter, working on a house in the next block. Turns out he is a rider and he gave me a few new roads to try near Eaton. Local intel is invaluable.

The painter's route popped me back out of the woods in Madison. I saw this old building (circa 1904) with it's green paint shining in the sun, and I couldn't resist.

Yet another day in paradise....

Now moving more directly back toward the ABB, I'm taking it in bigger chunks. But the whole area around Mt Chocorua is so picturesque, it's hard not to stop and enjoy it.

Soon, I'm back at Sandwich Notch, and I enjoyed ripping it through the whoop-dee-dos back toward the Valley that is my (temporary) home. I got there about 4:30 pm. My wife and I took a walk around the town square, it felt good to stretch my legs a bit.

No one rocked me to sleep that night. The Bush Pig is fun, but it's physical. 130 miles on the gravel was plenty enough.

Tomorrow is another day.

Stay thirsty, my friends.....
CraigRegs, Niehart, bigjohnsd and 9 others loved this

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing. I see that a bee, or something else, wanted to share your PBJ.
Hppants loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Oh yeah there are a lot of photos there that left me saying yeah this one is calendar worth. You'll get enough to make your own calendar.

Three days ago I rode my bicycle 32 miles with 900 ft of elevation gain. Today I am going to ride the mighty DR650 with it's 19" hoop, the lightweight adventure bike configuration, in the Palouse wheat fields to see I find something new.

Now excuse me while I get off my ass and try to behave like Joey!
Niehart, Hppants, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

August 8, 2024

Kind of cool this morning (51 degree), so I poured a second cup of coffee and dicked around a bit.

Late morning, I packed lunch and rode the FJR north. I'm starting to memorize some of the better "surface roads" in this area, and making my own personalized route in and out of the area. I rode about 35 miles to the Franconia Notch State Park, and stopped at an area called The Basin.

It's a place where the water is cutting through the granite. Honestly, it kind of looks unreal - like some kind of natural water park ride.

That area was crowded as it is very easy to get to (even ADA accessible). So I took a peek and then hit the Cascades Brook Trail going up. It was kind of fun to just rock hop up the mountain.

It didn't take long for me to find a nice place for lunch.

Then I continued up to see what else awaits for me.

Ooohh - this looks quite inviting (Aliya Falls).

I dried my feet and then continued along the bank of the cascade. This trail is well worn, as evident by the exposed tree roots and rocks that I'm constantly stepping over. But thankfully, it's not too crowded and I'm enjoying the walk. About another mile forward and I found the Rocky Glen Falls.

I found a nice flat spot on the edge of the rock and just sat there listening to the white noise while I ate some grapes and blueberries.

After a while, I walked back down to the bike, geared back up, and headed north toward the notch.

Overwhelmingly, I'm not a fan of the Interstates when riding, but I'm here to tell ya, I-93 here is one fine piece of roadway.

This is entitled "Old Man on the Mountain". Apparently, there's a rock formation on the top of this mountain that looks like an old man. There is a trail that goes to it. Maybe another time.

Uh yeah.... this will do just fine.

I ride over to the information center. There's a simple museum that educates you about the area - and I read the display attentively. Normally, I'm not a fan of gift shops, but this one was kind of special. Blueberry Maine flavor for the win.

Then I got back on the bike and headed south. The view in this direction is just as good.

In Lincoln, I got off the slab and turned right onto Hwy 118. I've ridden this road before and it's a HOOT! In Warren, NH, I turned onto Hwy 25. The covered bridges here are identified on the highways with a brown sign. Each bridge is numbered. I've learned to be on the lookout for these signs.

This is bridge # 71, built in the early 20th century, crossing the Baker River.

The American Flag is a nice touch.

This one is a simple over truss design that I'm finding more prevelant on bridges built after 1900. It's in terrific shape.

And the view up stream of Stinson Mountain is lovely.

From the bridge, I rode generally in the direction of home. I detoured just a few miles to Newfound Lake to check it out as a potential Kayak spot for Tammy and I - nope, too big for what I'm looking for. Then it was directly home to the ABB, arriving high and dry about 5:00 pm. No sooner had I put the horse back in the stable when it started raining moderately. I got lucky - I didn't think it was coming until much later, but weather in the mountains is often unpredictable. Me thinks I'll be packing the rain gear regardless going forward.

Stay thirsty, my friends....
Last edited by Hppants on Sat Aug 10, 2024 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niehart, 0face, danh600 and 8 others loved this

bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Maybe we should introduce the old man on the mountain to the old lady of the lake.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i7TtjZXDWuP7eKA57
Hppants loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
D.F.I.U.N.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

I think the "old man on the mountain" isn't there any more because a rock slide took away the distinct facial features.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_of_the_Mountain
gixxerjasen and Hppants loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:00 pm I think the "old man on the mountain" isn't there any more because a rock slide took away the distinct facial features.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_of_the_Mountain
Yep, I remember going there as a kid, but it's not there anymore, sadly.
Hppants loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

August 10, 2024

It rained an inch or so last night, the remnants of Hurricane Debby passing through. But it's nice this morning, so I grabbed the bicycle and took off. This morning is about the workout. The dirt trails will be muddy, so I'm going to stick to the gravel trails and make miles. I did 3 decent climbs up to different parts of the mountain. My legs were burning and it felt good to ride. Before descending for the last time, I stopped at one of my favorite happy spots.

The water is running good this morning.

I got back down to the ABB and took a shower. Tammy and I then took a ride to Plymouth. We visited the Museum of the White Mountains (A Plymouth State University endeavor) and then I drove to the Sandwich region to show her around. Of course, I had an alterior motive:

There was no one at the sugar house, but we could check out the equipment.

I don't think it's quite "syrup season" yet.

I picked this place because they have Papa Beans ice cream. Strawberry for Pants.

Mrs. Pants choose a homemade ice cream sandwich. Lavender cookie with lemon ice cream. A little too Hoity Toity for me.

We doubled back to Plymouth to stop at the drug store and the grocery. Since we are here, we might as well grab dinner.

Tasty little critters, I must say...

CraigRegs, fontanaman, Niehart and 6 others loved this

Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Good stuff! Sap for syrup doesn't run until spring thaw.
Hppants loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
RIP 1911
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

August 11, 2024

The weather is absolutely perfect. At home, we would call this November. It's Sunday and normally, Tammy and I would lay low and let the weekenders have it. But it's just too nice to do that. I choose the Bush Pig today and gear up accordingly. I told Tammy that I wouldn't be long.

Today, I'm gonna see what I can find on my own - forget the Flatlander Loop that has been my "guide" thus far off the pavement. I ride down to Campton to gas up. I check the GPS map to see what looks inviting. I wish the Garmin XT map would DEFINITIVELY define what an unpaved road is. Sometimes you can guess educatively, but you aren't always right. Regardless, I pick an area of the forest I haven't seen yet, and head out.

I stopped on the side of Hwy 175 to check the map again. When I turn off the bike, I hear the sound of water falling. Curious, I get down and what a pleasant surprise finds me.

This is what the locals call Campton Falls.

it is by far the largest waterfall I've seen since we got here. There is no sign, and the path down was tricky. I brought my sandwich and had lunch.

After lunch, I hit the gravel and ride up the mounain on Perch Pond road, and stop at the Bump Covered Bridge, circa 1877. At almost 150 years old, it's magnificient.

I cross the Beebe River and continue toward this road I recognize as a connector to Sandwich Notch - I thought this would make a good short loop for me. So far, so good.

I get to the road I'm looking for and it parallels the river - this is gonna be great. Not so fast, Pants. About 2 miles in, there's a gate across the road. Not sure why. I can see others before me have gone around the gate, but there's no point in this - the whole world is out there. I turn around and double back to the covered bridge, then turn back onto Perch Pond road.

They got the name right on this one.

I think this may be the water I've been seeking for Tammy and I to paddle. Tuesday, we'll give it a shot.

I continue through the forest, stopping here and there to learn more. I found a nice trailhead that I'll return to and walk another day. I found a New Hampshire Fish and Game office, closed on this Sunday. The road pops me out onto Hwy 113, and I suffered through this wonderfully curvy ribbon of asphalt toward the Sandwich region.

Now mid-afternoon, I stopped at a store I knew had ice cream. I was looking for a particular flavor (Honey Berry), but they were out. Disappointed, I geared back up and rode back into the woods toward another place I know for ice cream.

Pants is certainly learning the lay of the land when it comes to ice cream.

This is the same place Tammy and I went to yesterday. It's 2 businesses in one - Papa Beans ice cream, and Young Maple Sugarhouse. There was a guy working inside and I found out that he's the syrup business owner, and of all things, his girlfriend is Papa Beans. I asked him why she didn't call it "Mama Beans", and he said he didn't know. Odd. Anyhoo - I enjoyed asking him a few questions about syrup making. As Bob points out above, among other things, I learned that they don't start until mid-February. Oh well.

After ice cream, I rode about 30 miles through Sandwich Notch back to the ABB. I couldn't wait to tell Tammy what I discovered. Tammy got so excited, we decided to take the truck and have some more fun.

First stop, blueberries.

That didn't take long.

Then we drove 10 minutes to the waterfall I found this morning.

Back to the ABB about 5:30 just in time for happy hour.

Not a bad way to spend Sunday, if I don't say.

CraigRegs, LKLD, fontanaman and 9 others loved this

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Most excellent Joey!
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

August 13, 2024

Abundant sunshine in the forecast, today is paddle day. I brought Tammy to Perch Pond, a little secluded gem in the middle of the mountains.

it was a bit windy getting underway but we paddled windward and things got much better once we found the protection of the mountain and the trees.

This is the place I've been looking for. Perfect size, 15-ish minutes from our ABB, and we've got it all to ourselves.

We packed a picnic lunch and found a little peaceful cove to enjoy.

it was just a smidge too cold to swim, so we waded around the cove looking for anything and nothing. I spy with my little eye...

Tammy loves the kayak.

On the way back to the ABB, one stop at Ju Ju's. Only $3 bucks a scoop, but the scoop is a bit small. Black Raspberry for Pants. The chocolate chunks were a nice surprise.

Our son comes tomorrow with his dog. Life is good.

Intech, Niehart, danh600 and 11 others loved this

Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

This thread is both torture and triumph. So happy to see our friend living out his signature. This thread is basically his photo and written diary of doing what you love. I can't wait to hear his conflict of which 28 and counting calendar entries he is gonna have to decide between.
fontanaman, bigjohnsd, and Hppants loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

The forum members could just thrown in the towel on the calendar contest and use Joey's calendar or have the traditional contest and Joey's calendar.
Blister_1, Cav47, and bigjohnsd loved this