Mr. and Mrs. Pants' New England Adventure Summer 2024

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Pants' New England Adventure Summer 2024

Post by FJRoss »

You're getting down to the wire with respect to remaining time. I would expect the northern part of the state would be pretty much at its best - thinking the Colebrook/Dixville Notch region we rode through when I visited. Neat thing is different regions (and elevations) turn at different times and you can chase "fresh" colors all around the state.
Hppants loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

October 1, 2024

I'm having an issue with the transmission on my pickup truck. After waiting 2 weeks, today is my appointment at the Chevrolet dealership in Laconia, NH. I set out early to make the 8 am appt. about an hour away from our ABB. I get there on time, and they take the truck immediately.

I brought my bicycle - might as well see and learn something here. Laconia, NH is an old textile city that sits on the southwestern end of the Lakes Region of the State.

First order of business: get a hair cut. There's an old time barber shop downtown. I asked if they take walkins, and one barber replied "have a seat - I'll get you as soon as I finish this guy." Sweet.

From there, I rode a short distance to the Belknap Mill - the oldest largely unaltered brick textile mill in the United States. It has been preserved as a museum for us to learn and enjoy. It started out as a waterwheel mill, but with the invention of water turbines, quickly converted to a more efficient process.

The wood used to make the gear teeth comes from South America - can't remember it's name.

They made all kinds of textiles here over the decades, but for the most part, socks were their claim to fame.

Later on after the development of electricity, the mill started a hydroelectric operation as a side gig.

Even the old sluece gate system is still in working order. The historical society has done a terrific job of preserving this piece of history.

By now, I've heard from the dealership. They have a plan to fix my truck and will call me when it's ready. So... I just start wandering here and there. It's a nice day for it.

The archetecture here is early American, not surprisingly. There is a lot of european influence, though.

This old theatre is fully restored and I get a lot of ads on my FB feed for events there. They do a lot of "tribute bands".

Wonder why thy named this "Church Street"? Ah....

Again, I'm so impressed by the bicycle friendliness of this entire State. We sure could take a lesson in Louisiana.

A group is restoring this old church. I like the way it looks.

The constructors of this building spent a lot of money and effort on the parapet wall.

Sure is a nice day!

Still wandering, I'm just sticking my big nose into the wind, and if I sniff something interesting, I go there. This small city has done a wonderful job of restoring it's heritage.

This photo speaks volumes to me. I make no bones about it - I live my life in a box. I try desperately at times to think outside of the box that is my life, but admittedly fail way too often. The mere fact that someone could think about the possibilities of re-purposing these materials in such a unique and different context is absolutely amazing to me.

I find this picture inspiring. Keep trying, Pants...

The dealer called and informed that my truck was ready. It's still late morning - that was impressive. They flushed the transmission fluid - not cheap, to be sure. I was told to give it up to 200 miles for the symptom to subside.

Wrong.

It still not fixed. Now I fear the solution may be more involved. The powertrain is still under warranty, but that's just the start of it. They can't fit me in until 10/10. We are scheduled to leave 10/16 and in the meantime, we have only the motorcycles to get around. Our son is coming with his dog 10/10. Logisitically, it's complicated at best. I made some preliminary arrangements. We can extend our stay at the ABB if needed. And our friends that agreed to host us OTW back home are flexible. I rented a car in Laconia for a week. I can cancel that at the last minute, and even turn it in early for a partial refund if necessary. Maybe the dealer will have a courtesy vehicle for us (highly doubtful).

So... I'm a little worried about it. But I keep telling myself two things. I'm chanting these two things like a committed Monk:

1. It's a first world problem. Nobody's hurt and the absolute worst thing that will happen is that you will have to throw money at it. Money that you have.

2. This is all part of the adventure. If you stay at home, and do nothing, then most assuredly, NOTHING will happen. There are people with REAL problems. So suck it up, buttercup.

Stay thirsty, my friends....
Niehart, 0face, Bugnatr and 4 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Can't they give you a loaner for a few days? If not, a rental will get you through.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

FJRoss wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 10:04 am Can't they give you a loaner for a few days? If not, a rental will get you through.
The terms of my powertrain warranty include the use of a loaner... with strings. The biggest string is "if a loaner is available". They can't even discuss it until they decide they need to keep the truck. I'm 2,000 miles from home and of course I didn't buy the truck from them. IOW - the chances of me getting a loaner are slim and none. And Slim left town. To be sure, I'm gonna give it the college try. But as you know, it's leaf peeping season. Rental cars are gonna get scarce from big city leaf peepers that otherwise don't have a car. So I reserved one just in case.

If I try to, I can lather myself up pretty good. Little know fact about Pants - 35 years ago, I was a car mechanic at a transmission shop. That means I know just enough to be extremely dangerous. Regardless, I know a torque converter shutter when I feel it, and that's what I got. The Service Bulliten says replacing the oil with the new one that includes additives designed to damper this was a $450.00 failure. In my ignorant opinion, they are gonna replace the torque converter. That brings up a whole new level of paranoia. Do they have a T/C in stock, and if not, how long to get it? If the T/C is shitting metal all over my tranny, will they get it out? This is a known issue with these GM trannies - it started at 50K miles (unbelieveable) - how long is this T/C gonna last? Should I get an extended warranty on the truck now?

And if they don't replace the T/C, is it gonna shit the bucket OTW home and leave me and my wife stranded?

Bla Bla Bla Bla......

(Chant your verses, Pants.....)
FJRoss and N4HHE loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

That's interesting that you are having problems with that transmission. IIRC, that's the 10(9) speed transmission that was kind of the collaboration between GM and Ford. The Ford version has all sorts of problems and the general consensus on the Ford forums is that the Chevy version has been pretty problem free. You know it's true if the Ford folks aren't crapping all over Chevy, but they do like to bitch about their own vehicles. I personally had to have my 10R80 fully rebuilt with the new CDF drum at 45K miles. Unfortunately, they were so busy that when I dropped it off, they didn't have any loaners available, so good call on reserving that rental car to enjoy the rest of your time there. My truck had to sit in line so two weeks later they were able to get me a loaner and another two weeks later I got my truck back. Not sure it's fully fixed still, sigh.

On the plus side, if you stick around a while longer, you'll get to see more seasonal changes up there, which could be a good thing. Might invest in some jackets though so you don't freeze your southern ass off.
bigjohnsd, Cav47, and Hppants loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Get the extended warranty if you can, if you intend to keep the truck after you get home.
Hppants loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

In the not to distance future the problem with the truck will be but a footnote in this wonderful trip.
Cav47 and Hppants loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

My truck is the 8 speed. AFAIK, it is GM through and through. Regardless, it’s chicken crap to have to deal with this on a 4-year old truck.

I’m shopping extended warranties right now. I will be purchasing it before my PT warranty runs out.
Cav47 and wheatonFJR loved this

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Now chickens are offended!

Let's just say I am not a GM supporter or for that matter Fords either.

Hoping for the best possible outcome.
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

Hppants wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:07 pm I’m shopping extended warranties right now. I will be purchasing it before my PT warranty runs out.
Strongly recommend the factory GM extended warranty. Third parties are weasles.
fontanaman and Hppants loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Have you had an overnight frost yet? Seems to make a big difference in fall foliage.
I am finding fall colours to be somewhat muted this year where I live, although we are nowhere near the peak yet. We haven't had the cold snap that seems to be needed for the most vibrant foliage. What inevitably seems to happen is we have a day or two of brilliant display followed by a wind/rain storm that wipes it out. Ephemeral at best.

Hope it gets close to the peak before you have to head for home. (10 days?)
Hppants and fontanaman loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

We currently plan to depart 10/16, pending the truck is fixed.

We have not had a frost here yet, this coming week, the overnight low will be in the middle 30s F. It's close to peak now here. Been really fun watching it happen.
fontanaman, wheatonFJR, and N4HHE loved this

N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

Hppants wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:55 am October 1, 2024

I'm having an issue with the transmission on my pickup truck. After waiting 2 weeks, today is my appointment at the Chevrolet dealership in Laconia, NH. I set out early to make the 8 am appt. about an hour away from our ABB. I get there on time, and they take the truck immediately.
If you can get past his hand-waving narration story sometimes Scotty has a bit of wisdom to share

Hppants loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I've seen his stuff before - you are correct, he knows a thing or two.

I've already tried to enter the C/A lawsuit, but don't qualify. My truck is a 2020 and was built after the batch in the lawsuit. This leads me to believe that MY 8-speed transmission is different than the one in the lawsuit, but oddly, I can't find much difference. Still reading. The rabbit hole is LOOOONNNG!
N4HHE loved this

FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Hppants wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:54 am I've seen his stuff before - you are correct, he knows a thing or two.

I've already tried to enter the C/A lawsuit, but don't qualify. My truck is a 2020 and was built after the batch in the lawsuit. This leads me to believe that MY 8-speed transmission is different than the one in the lawsuit, but oddly, I can't find much difference. Still reading. The rabbit hole is LOOOONNNG!
Sometimes the model year or S/N range gets extended as more complaints roll in. Make some noises in the appropriate direction.
N4HHE, wheatonFJR, and Hppants loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

This issue is not ideal for me:

1. We keep our vehicles. It's a tool for me, not a status symbol. This truck is 4 years old, I've already taken the hit depreciation wise.

2. Buying the extended warranty makes sense. The transmission T/Q issue alone is worth it (the warranty cost about as much as a used transmission installed). But as I dig myself into this quick sand further, I learn that there are other issues to be concerned with. Namely the Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM) system failing and causing catestrophic engine damage, and the head unit (the LCD screen that controls everything.

3. But regardless, now I have to question the reliability of the vehicle. And for what Tammy and I are now doing, this is critical. More important than money, the MOST important thing is Tammy's safety. I don't want to jeapordize that being stuck on the side of the road.

4. However, jumping out of the frying pan seems to leave me with no where to go but the fire. I need a full sized pickup truck. The ford has similar issues with the Transmission and the V/6 turbos. The dodge does seem more reliable on the powertrain, but I hear a new one is coming out and I'm not going to be the guinea pig. Shoot - even the new Toyota has issues with the Turbo motor blowing up (they are getting ready to recall them).

So - what do you do? I guess I'll stay with the devil I know.
Cav47 and N4HHE loved this

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

FJRoss wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:00 am
Hppants wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:54 am I've seen his stuff before - you are correct, he knows a thing or two.

Sometimes the model year or S/N range gets extended as more complaints roll in. Make some noises in the appropriate direction.
Good Point - good advice. I'll do that in the near future. Technically today, I don't have a "complaint" yet - nothing's been done. After this plays out (like I think it will to be sure), I'll have something to officially complain about.
FJRoss loved this

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

October 3, 2024

Today has been less than ideal. This pickup truck bullshit is cramping our style. We drop off the truck next Thursday, but the problem seems to be getting worse, and I'd rather not blow it completely up before we get it into the shop. So we decided to take it easy today and hang near the ABB.

This issue is killing Tammy's buzz, big time. We are scheduled to pickup our son and his dog on the same day the truck goes to the shop. Knowing that the shop will almost certainly keep our vehicle for days making this type of repair, and also knowing that the loaner vehicle described in my warranty will almost surely NOT be available, I searched for a rental car. This is leaf peeping season. People that live in big cities without cars are taking trips here. The way to see leaves turning is from the roads, so they are gobbling up rental cars like candy. I searched and could not find one.

I tell Tammy that I've got to call our son and tell him I can't accomodate him on this visit. In other words, he can't come unless he makes his own arrangements to get here. Now that really sucked the wind out of Tammy's sails. She even said (in anger, I know) "I want to go home". That hit me. I must admit that even after almost 40 years, I still have this insatiable desire to make sure my wife is happy. She is so good. She NEVER complains about ANYTHING. It physically hurts me to see her hurting.

After lunch, I grabbed the bicycle and started riding toward the gym. I might as well put my axiety to good use. I rode slowly and was thinking about everything. I got to a nice park bench that we like to sit at and took a break.

I started staring at the Hallmark Movie that lied before my very eyes. I started chanting the two verses that I wrote about earlier. This is really a first world problem. And it's gonna work out one way or the other. We will get home in due time and in due time thereafter, this will be nothing more than an amusing story to bore someone with over hopefully a nice stiff cocktail. I mean - look at this, Pants! Some of the mountains to your south look VERY different right now. They are wiped out and washed out. Some of the pickup trucks down there with shitty transmissions are still floating in the creek. Those people have REAL problems. You need to get a hold of yourself and stop these selfish ridiculous antics.

I had a good workout and then called my son. Of course he was upset and of course he accused me of not trying hard enough to find a solution. He's 29 and he's got 50% of my DNA. I've seen this movie before. I bite my tongue and hold my breath. Quite frankly, he's a much better travel planner than I am, so I suggested that he look into a rental car in Laconia, NH and send me whatever he can find. We hang up amicably, at best.

I ride home and my fingers are tingling. Now I've got to tell Tammy that I've sealed the deal. She's not gonna like this.

As I walk up the stairs in my ABB, I get a message from my son with a reccomendation for a rental car. "This place seems to have cars". I go right to the laptop, and sure enough, my world traveler son has done it! Once more, it's even better - I can reserve the car with no money, reserve it for a week and return it for a partial refund, and even cancel it up to the last minute with no penalty. I couldn't click "RESERVE" fast enough, but admittedly, I did read Avis Rental's fine print first. Yep - it's just as it looks.

I reply to my son's message - "all good, car rented, we will get you on time, sorry for the confusion".

Then I tell Tammy something worth hearing. As she listens attentively while I tell the good news, I can see her face physically turn the frown around. Even though I didn't really do anything (our secret), I'm proud that I fixed this and made my wife happy again. Life goes on, as it always does.

But .... I need to check myself before I wreck myself. This is bush, man. I'm getting way too soft emotionally. I've been living what can only be remotely described as a fairy tale for so long. When the first speed bump appears, I'm falling apart. Total Bush - I tell ya. I need to get my head out of my ass and suck it up, buttercup. We don't have any problems in the Pants house. Shit happens, and it happens to everyone. You better thank your lucky stars for what you got, Pants. You better humble yourself a bit more and this time, really mean it. Not because the Boogie Man is watching and if you are not humble, He can make bad come upon you. You do it because that is what an honorable man does. He takes his licks and addresses them head on. And he's thankful for what he's got.

Niehart, danh600, bigjohnsd and 5 others loved this

bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Something I've figured out that doesn't make that much sense at first glance but on closer inspection seems to be largely true; the opposite of comfort is freedom. Your truck is a tool that affords you a degree of utility. It makes your life easier. Without it life gets harder because the utility is gone. That utility is a form of comfort and thus, freedom. Own as big house with lots of toys, all financed, you have mortgaged your freedom for comfort.

Something to rub your chin about.
Hppants loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
D.F.I.U.N.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

October 4, 2024

A glorious Fall Friday in New England and I'm not gonna waste it. Today, I'll ride the fast bike.

It's not quite cool enough for the heated gear, but I pack it just in case. Rather, I leave the ABB with 3 layers under the mesh jacket and ease my way down the mountain. I run back up the Sawyer Highway, one of my favorite roads in the area.

I moved my bike to get a better picture, and just when I was about to shoot, a band of 12-ish Pirates showed up and parked right next to me. Oh well, another time. I introduced myself and then left on my way.

This is likely going to be the big leaf peeping weekend - I'm told it's about a week early in the White Mountains. I'm already seen signs of heavier traffic, so I decide to concentrate on the road less traveled. I go west on Hwy 25C into Vermont.

Things here look to be about 10-ish days behind, leaf color wise.

Nice and quiet out here.

Lake Fairlee - yet another example of a beautiful "public" lake that has virtually NO public access.

I get to Chelsea and have lunch.

The road system in Vermont is interesting. The Green Mountain ranges run North-South and most of the State roads also run North-South in the valleys between the ranges. I like taking the surface county roads West-East over the mountains.

On the run, I devised a large "block" of State highways, some of which I hadn't ridden yet. I'm passing on "convenienc store" ice cream (stick bars) on the hope that I'll find a legitimate store with a proper confection. Unfortunately, the Ice Cream stores I'm finding are closed for the winter already.

Now heading south on the back side of my "block", just south of Williamstown, VT, as I come over a small ridge, I see some whiffs of smoke and then see this.

It just happened. I turn around and go back. The resident of the property has the phone in his ear.

(Pants) "Is this what It looks like?"

(Resident) "He's trapped in there."

(Pants) "Oh my - are you calling 911?"

(Resident) "Yes"

I walk to the drivers door and peek inside. He's in a modified fetal position jammed generally under the steering column in the "leg space" area. All of his teeth have been knocked out. His nose is clearly broken in more than one place. His right cheek bone is fractured and his right lower leg is bent in an unnatural way - clearly broken as well. His arms are cramped and crossed and his hands are right in front of his face. He's not agonizing, (adreneline) but he can't speak. He's looking at me, but his pupils are fixed and somewhat constricted. The rear section of the truck's transmission is cocked into the passenger side of the cab. Thank heavens it went that way an he was alone.

(Pants) "Hello sir, can you hear me?"

He nods his head ever so slightly and tries to faintly moan.

(Pants to Resident) "Tell them to bring the Jaws of Life. They will never get him out of here otherwise."

(Pants) "Don't try to talk. My name is Joey and I am NOT going to leave you. I'm right here. We on the phone with 911 and they are coming. Look at me - this is very important. Do NOT go to sleep. I know you want to rest, but just breathe right now. Can you feel your fingers?"

He nods affirmatively, just moving his head every so slightly.

(Pants) "can you wiggle your fingers?"

He moves two or three fingers slightly.

(Pants) "Can you feel your toes?"

Again, nods slightly in the affirmative.

(Pants) "Don't move your toes - I can't see them." Now - just stay with me here and don't go to sleep."

I put my left hand to his hand.

(Pants) "I'm gonna hold your finger and just gentle press it to keep you awake. Just breathe - they are coming."

A vehicle appears and I turn around. A young lady is looking out of the window.

(Pants) "Do you know this man?"

(Lady) "Yes - I'm gonna go to his house and get his family."

(Pants) "What is his name?"

(Lady) "Christian"

I then turn to him.

(Pants) "Christian - they're going to get your family. Help is coming. Stay with me. Don't go to sleep Christian."

A minute or two passes. Once or twice, I noticed him starting to doze off. At one point, I touched his face.

(Pants) "You're doing fine, Christian. Don't go to sleep. Stay with me, man."

Another minute passes. We are in a rural area and I'm not sure where help is coming from.

(Pants to resident) "Where is the help coming from."

(Resident) "Williamstown - just a few miles up the road. They have full time paramedics."

I presumed he meant it's not a volunteer ambulatory service. I was right. Another minute and I hear it.

(Pants) "Do you hear that siren. That's them. They are coming for you right now."

The ambulance arrives.

(Pants) "The paramedics are out and coming. I'm gonna let you go now."

I told one of the paramedics what I knew and he went to work. I waited a little while until more help arrived (police and fire) and when it was abundantly clear that they (first responders) had enough help to deal with this, I geared up and left. It's a State highway, no point in me hanging around jeapordizing anything.

I must admit, from that point forward, I rode EXTREMELY conservatively and cautiously. That dude is in really bad shape. Honestly, I'm not sure he's gonna make it. There was absolutely NO sign of him trying to evade the accident. No skid mark, no swerve mark. Nothing. I did not smell alcohol on him, but of course he could have been under the influence of anything. And at one point, I actually thought that maybe it was his INTENTION to do this. I hoped he is OK.

I cross back into New Hampshire and take Hwy 116 to Hwy 112. I stopped at Beaver Pond, one of my favorite places in New England.

Stopping here was in my plan. I knew that the afternoon sun would offer some great light on this area for a photo shoot. However, my delay with the truck accident put me behind. As you can see, I'm about 20 minutes too late.

It's cooling off now, so I layer back up for the ride back to the ABB. I go straight home and arrive safely about 5:30 pm. The days are getting much shorter. It happens more dramatically up here than at home.

This is a good beer brewed on the sea coast of NH. One full pint at 7.2% - a "sipper" to be sure.

This is what 3,000 miles on the FJR looks like over the past 3 months. This picture is worth a 12 page ride report. The fun I have had within those pink highlighted lines has been incredible. We are getting closer to the end, and our son arrives soon. I'm not sure if I'll do another ride before we leave. Doesn't matter - I've enjoyed myself and I'm quite satisfied with my experience.

Epilogue: The next day, I messaged the Williamstown, VT Fire Department. I used language that clearly described my knowledge of the incident. I asked them if Christian was OK. This was their response:

"Hi! Thank you for all you did yesterday! The last update we have received is that he is in serious but stable condition."

I love the use of the word "Stable". That tells me that at least, he is not degrading. I hope his recovery continues.

Niehart, senecahome, bigjohnsd and 8 others loved this