Resetting the ECU?

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Re: Resetting the ECU?

Post by Festus »

In reference to what's instant and what's not, here's a tiny bit of insight into it. Fast Forward to 10 minutes. Short and Long trim, I think he calls it. Some readings are short trim (instant) and some are long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mKSHqSeTH8
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Seems the whole premise was if there was a vacuum leak, which would change the ECU's response. No vacuum leak, then there should be no real significant adjustment required, it would stay in the normal parameters... Ride on, don't worry about it at all.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

raYzerman wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:13 am Seems the whole premise was if there was a vacuum leak, which would change the ECU's response. No vacuum leak, then there should be no real significant adjustment required, it would stay in the normal parameters... Ride on, don't worry about it at all.
I don't think you are correct, if I'm understanding you correctly. He said specifically the long term trim would cause incorrect data to be used by the ECU, which is why he said he was going to reset the file.

As mentioned at the beginning of this thread, it fixes itself, that was a known, but when you are trying to figure out if you fixed something, do you want to know you fixed it while standing there, or do you want to have to ride it for 4 hours to figure out you didn't fix it? That was my point for asking.
wheatonFJR loved this

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Well - I ride 4 hours to go left, right, up, down, and to get Ice cream.

If I get data and other information, or I happen to "fix" something in the process, so much the better....

(dumbass Pants....)
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

Hppants wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:33 pm Well - I ride 4 hours to go left, right, up, down, and to get Ice cream.

If I get data and other information, or I happen to "fix" something in the process, so much the better....

(dumbass Pants....)
Easy to do when it's your bike. Not so easy when it's someone else's bike!