?? Bench Testing Ignition Coils ??

The Technical Library sub forum will contain how-to and reference articles for all generations of the FJR1300.
Forum rules
13.B - For tech library threads, same approach as the merchandise threads – all posts will be related to the tech library topic – questions about the topic, posts adding to the topic from a technical perspective, etc. Any posts outside of those will be deleted by forum moderators or admins.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Re: ?? Bench Testing Ignition Coils ??

Post by dcarver »

Road Runner wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:30 pm Does it run good with old coils? If so, there's the problem. If not, then need to dig further. Then ohm check charge coils, trigger coils, Ignition coils.
Thank you for replying RR. I haven't tried. It's truly a PITA to swap coils on that bike. That's why I went to the bench. I'd also have to re-install the ballast resistor meaning changing the wiring again.

Soon my 'coil tester' will arrive so until then I've doing KrZy8 relay link maintenance and tires. Fortunately, the old KZ isn't a commute bike anymore.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:37 am You mention the KZ has igniters... I don't know anything about igniters, but had them on my old Magna, and bought spare set. Any spares to play with? These days, aftermarket replacements might be available.
And perhaps put your old coils to the test setup you had, see if they sparkie well, then perhaps the bike's system is the issue?
From what I've learned, and I'm no subject matter expert, but ignition systems typically break the circuit, as in open the switch, on coil negative. This 'switch' can be points (mechanical) or an ignitor (electronic).

An ignition is basically Darlington power transistors which can handle the relative high current involved in the primary coil. 13 volts with 3.5 ohm coil is approx 3.7 amps, which is why the Darlington configuration is used.

From Wikipedia-

In electronics, a multi-transistor configuration called the Darlington configuration (commonly called as a Darlington pair) is a circuit consisting of two bipolar transistors with the emitter of one transistor connected to the base of the other, such that the current amplified by the first transistor is amplified further by the second one.[1] The collectors of both transistors are connected together. This configuration has a much higher current gain than each transistor taken separately. It acts like and is often packaged as a single transistor. It was invented in 1953 by Sidney Darlington.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

The QDB-3A arrived - here's a short video

https://candybuttorg.ipage.com/cba/comm ... mment-1237 for pics

D
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

to keep the thread intact, will keep adding as time goes on..

Did more bench testing using the super-dooper-party-sparker machine.

Tested
* FJR coils, Martek aftermarket coils
* Resistor vs non-Resistor plugs
* Reversed primary polarity

Which of the 3 do you think provided the hottest spark?

In the video I stated the FJR plug caps have an internal 5k resistor. .Now I'm not confident they do?

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Don, the FJR plug caps have a 10k resistor..........
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:17 pm Don, the FJR plug caps have a 10k resistor..........
Ahh, Thanks Ray. Got it confused with KZ1300 caps.

My o-scope arrived yesterday. Gonna play with it in a bit.. :zombwobb: