Coolant Leak

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Re: Coolant Leak

Post by raYzerman »

You won't need anything other than a new rad, or if you can get this one repaired.... I'd take it out and let the pros have a look at it... Basically, it's held in with 3 bolts... I'd take the hoses off first rather than fight them later (but they do hold the rad for you, lol), then take the upper two bolts out... you will have fun getting that right hand one in as FjrVfr says..... you can loosen or remove the bottom bolt any time... To keep the swear jar from filling up too quick, just have a helper when you put the beatch back in.... but really, not a huge deal. Need both side fairings off......

Don't worry about the thermostat (it wasn't acting up) or flushing the cooling system (waste of time IMHO, especially with the hoses off).
PhilJet09, CollingsBob, and Road Runner loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
RacinRay
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES 2011 Triumph Speed Triple

Post by RacinRay »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:21 pm You won't need anything other than a new rad, or if you can get this one repaired.... I'd take it out and let the pros have a look at it... Basically, it's held in with 3 bolts... I'd take the hoses off first rather than fight them later (but they do hold the rad for you, lol), then take the upper two bolts out... you will have fun getting that right hand one in as FjrVfr says..... you can loosen or remove the bottom bolt any time... To keep the swear jar from filling up too quick, just have a helper when you put the beatch back in.... but really, not a huge deal. Need both side fairings off......

Don't worry about the thermostat (it wasn't acting up) or flushing the cooling system (waste of time IMHO, especially with the hoses off).
Thanks. I think I'll push forward and do it myself.
FJRPittsburgh and raYzerman loved this
The dildo of consequences never arrives lubed.
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

N4HHE wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:38 pm If you can safely get fire in there then consider this repair.
And be sure to take video! For future generations, don'tchya know.
FJRPittsburgh, N4HHE, 0face and 1 others loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
RacinRay
Veteran

Post by RacinRay »

How do I get to the upper mount on the right side of the bike? Will I be able to see it if I remove the battery, or do I need to take that whole mass of wires off the right side?
RacinRay
Veteran

Post by RacinRay »

With the help Art (Road Runner) I was able to get the to the upper right side bolt. What a PITA. You have to remove the battery, battery box and relocate the fuse box, ECU and a bunch of relays to get at one bolt.

I brought the radiator to a local radiator shop to see if it can be repaired. Hope to hear back tomorrow.

Couldn't have done it without the assistance. Thanks Art! I hope I can put it back together. 🤣
PhilJet09, El Toro Joe, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition
1987 KLR 650 Thumper

Post by Road Runner »

I'm happy to help anytime. It was nice to meet Debbie. And thanks for the beer.
D-Eagle, El Toro Joe, extrememarine and 2 others loved this
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I wouldn't attempt to braze it myself. Shoot - I have trouble soldering wires.

If I had more time than money, I'd remove the radiator and take it to a local radiator shop to see if they can fix it. Now - be advised, from my memory of dealing with this years ago, sometimes a radiator fix is to plug/block off the leaking tube in question. If that is the case, then it won't (hopefully) leak, but you will lose some cooling efficiency. If that was the shop's plan, I'd pass and just order a new radiator.

I did this job on my Gen 1 bike - collateral damage from a crash. When handling the new (or old if you are going to repair it) radiator, take extra care not to bend the fins over - which will compromise your cooling. Handle only the edges of the radiator and not the core.

You do not need to replace the T/S housing, gskt, etc. for this job if the ONLY thing leaking is the radiator. You might take a good look at the hoses and if cracked or otherwise overly worn (not likely), replace them while you are in there.

Looks like an OEM replacement radiator is about $322.XX (part shark). Not as bad as I thought. A radiator shop will likely charge you $100.00. I'd prolly just go with a new one.

Make sure you run it up to temp (fan cycles on and off at least once or twice) and then burp the system before topping it off and putting the plastic back on.

Wonder if a rock hit the radiator, causing the leak?
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR1300A, 2001 zrx1200r, 2001 XR650R

Post by natehawk750 »

I've been dealing with this lately.

First noticed a slightly leaking hose, the one from the TS housing to the radiator. Tried pulling it off, cleaning the surfaces and retightening the hose. Didn't work them my Aircraft Mechanic side kicked in and told me to replace all hoses, however the cheap side of me said to just replace the one. While waiting for the one to come in another hose started oozing so now I'm waiting for all new hoses to come in and I'll do it all at once. In the mean time upon further inspection I noticed an ever so slight pin hole of a seep in the upper right side of my radiator. I'm planning on gunning some high temp JB weld in there and seeing what happens. Might not last long but it will bide me some time til I can get a new radiator.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Hppants loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
RIP 1911
RacinRay
Veteran

Post by RacinRay »

I just got the radiator back from the shop. The owner, a fellow rider, said they "pushed a new tube through" as the top tube was bad.

For those asking if it was a stone that caused the leak, there was no visible damage to the fins on the radiator and the leak was on the back side. Anyway, the repair is complete and the shop charged me $125.

Reassembly begins tomorrow.
BkerChuck, PhilJet09, FJRPittsburgh and 5 others loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

I also had a pinhole leak on the top backside of the radiator in my '07 - also not caused by a rock. The shop injected some sort of sealant to block the entire cross tube with no discernible affect on cooling ability. I think @dcarver had a similar leak in his '06 and replaced the radiator.
(I was also one of the individuals who had an embrittled and cracked overflow tank.)

Thin aluminum core radiators are not simple to braze or solder...
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Post by dcarver »

I did. Tried a cheap Chinese radiator, JUNK.
OEM replacement still working fine!
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

Wish I had seen this sooner Ray. I have a spare in the attic that I’m 95% sure is good that I could box up and send you. Let me know if that repair doesn’t work, I’d be happy to.
RacinRay loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR1300A, 2001 zrx1200r, 2001 XR650R

Post by natehawk750 »

How did the repair work Ray?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

RacinRay
Veteran

Post by RacinRay »

I literally just got the radiator reinstalled to test the repair. I brought the engine up to temperature and let the fan cycle on and off twice and now I'm waiting for the bike to cool to see if I need to top off the coolant. I would have had this done last Friday but somehow I managed to lose the old coolant overflow tank in my garage somewhere and the replacement just arrived today (dumbass). I should have everything buttoned up by dinner time tonight.
Hppants, El Toro Joe, Road Runner and 1 others loved this
RacinRay
Veteran

Post by RacinRay »

All done. No signs of leaks. The plastics took a little longer than I thought to reinstall. Let's hope the repaired radiator holds, I don't want to do this again.
Hppants, raYzerman, El Toro Joe and 3 others loved this
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

RacinRay wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:20 pm I managed to lose the old coolant overflow tank in my garage somewhere and the replacement just arrived today (dumbass).
You'll find it, when you're not looking for it...
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
RacinRay
Veteran

Post by RacinRay »

Update: as mentioned earlier I somehow managed to lose the plastic overflow tank when I disassembled my bike. Well, mystery solved, I found the tank sitting on the top of a 6-ft step ladder leaning against the back wall of my garage. Why I would ever put it there I don't know but that's where I found it. When I said I looked up and down apparently I didn't look up quite as much as I should have.
Hppants, Road Runner, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Literally called my wife today, it rang twice, she picked up, and I had no idea why I called her...LOL. You are not alone.
BikerGeek, extrememarine, Hppants and 4 others loved this
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

RacinRay wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:29 pm Update: as mentioned earlier I somehow managed to lose the plastic overflow tank when I disassembled my bike. Well, mystery solved, I found the tank sitting on the top of a 6-ft step ladder leaning against the back wall of my garage. Why I would ever put it there I don't know but that's where I found it. When I said I looked up and down apparently I didn't look up quite as much as I should have.
This could be part of a campaign by your family and friends to convince you that it is time to consider an appropriate institution for your care. Mine has been doing this for years and I’m beginning to think they may be on to something.
0face, RacinRay, and Cav47 loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
M. Tyson