Tire Inflators

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Re: Tire Inflators

Post by FJRoss »

Cav47 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:12 am Image
Amazon delivered this today. It is compact. I like the attachment on it. Just going to swap out the lighter plug for an SAE.

It is very compact. Fits under the seat even with the ES.

I hope I never have to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That doesn't appear to be the same as the one in the link you posted...
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

You are right, that is what sent to Amazon. Not sure how it changed, but I am okay with it so far. I wonder if they had to upgrade as a replacement since they sold out.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Along with an inflator, I carry an extension hose. It's only about 8" long but it sure is easier to screw on the valve stem than it is trying to attach an angled clamp-on chuck.

https://www.amazon.com/Mellbree-Extensi ... r=1-8&th=1
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

rbentnail wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:01 pm Along with an inflator, I carry an extension hose. It's only about 8" long but it sure is easier to screw on the valve stem than it is trying to attach an angled clamp-on chuck.

https://www.amazon.com/Mellbree-Extensi ... r=1-8&th=1
My inflator is not hard to engage with the tire stem but the extension hose that you linked might be very useful if you are getting air at some service stations. Some of those are almost impossible with some motorcycle tire stems. (I have 90° stems so I an make service station chucks work.)

Another thing that may be said for using your own inflator is that you don't have to deal with poorly maintained service station pumps. Especially the older style where the compressor is inside the building with a hose running to the outside. Quite often, they don't drain the condensed water from the tank and you can get a slug of rusty, filthy liquid along with your air.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Browsing Amazon again...
Found a number of inflators that are battery powered but may optionally be connected to the bike for 12 V power (not just for charging it). Having that option gives me a little more comfort compared to built-in battery only. It also means that the device isn't a brick if the internal battery fails to hold a charge after a time. My Slime pump is still holding up OK, but it is getting older and the lack of a gauge is irritating. Maybe I'll stick with it for this year.

Hard to believe the number of different pumps available on Amazon, eBay and AliExpress!! You start to go cross-eyed when you try to compare user ratings, price, physical dimensions, weight, battery capacity, inflation rate, noise levels, battery/corded/both, type of gauge, connectors etc. Not to mention separating facts from crap.
CollingsBob loved this
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

I carry a cheap Slime 12V inflator with a barely useful pressure gauge built in. Considering how long this thing takes to put 40 PSI in a flat tire I would have no hope for a battery powered inflator. And even less hope keeping that battery charged and in good shape the next 10 years.

Have always lusted for a DeWalt battery drill retrofitted with an inflator, the drill chuck being replaced with air hose and air chuck. Have since seen Ryobi and others offering such a product but I have DeWalt batteries. Might not be adequate for flat FJR tires but perfect for adjusting dirtbike tires.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

To me, the gages they include with these compressors are pretty poor - carrying a pen-sized tire pressure gage is not a burden. Wish they would just skip that expense and space. The slime compressor I have with the gage for my DS is substantially larger than the old one I have for the FJR. They seem to work the same, though.

I have CO2 cartridges for my bicycle and have often thought about throwing a couple under my FJR seat as a backup. Even 20 psi would likely keep the tire seated on the bead and get me to safety.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Hppants wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:14 am I have CO2 cartridges for my bicycle and have often thought about throwing a couple under my FJR seat as a backup. Even 20 psi would likely keep the tire seated on the bead and get me to safety.
I have used C02 cartridges on multiple occasions. No issues. If I recall correctly, it normally takes 8-9 cartridges to get you enough air to get somewhere. I used to store a couple in each saddle bag and then a good number of them under my seats. They pack so small it works out great.Worked fine for several years of riding.

Updated a year or two ago to the Moto pump so took all of the cartridges out.
Bugnatr and Hppants loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Thanks for sharing this info. I was thinking 2 or 3, but 8-9 might be a bit much with the compressor. Usually (not always), I'm with someone else riding and everyone I ride with also carries a compressor. Thus, it's not totally a "single point of failure".
Festus loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Hppants wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:14 am To me, the gages they include with these compressors are pretty poor - carrying a pen-sized tire pressure gage is not a burden. Wish they would just skip that expense and space. The slime compressor I have with the gage for my DS is substantially larger than the old one I have for the FJR. They seem to work the same, though.

I have CO2 cartridges for my bicycle and have often thought about throwing a couple under my FJR seat as a backup. Even 20 psi would likely keep the tire seated on the bead and get me to safety.
I had an inflator with a crappy analog gauge that buzzed back and forth due to pulsation/vibration while inflating but I could always tell the actual pressure with reasonable accuracy. I dislike stopping, disconnecting, checking, reconnecting etc. With a built-in gauge with known accuracy, you can momentarily stop the pump for a consistent (if not absolutely accurate) reading. I always carry a good digital gauge anyway. Many of the newer pumps offer an auto-shutoff function - great until it doesn't work and auto shuts off without adding any air (or you trust it and it "forgets" to shut off).

A couple I saw also included a deflate button. Good feature for when you over-inflate a bit and want to bleed off a few psi. Again, the built-in (digital) gauge is very helpful, if it is accurate or if you know what bias it might have. (At least reproducible)