RIP - my buddy 1911/Duane Wellington just passed away

This subforum will contain memorial posts and memories of those members who have departed but live on in the stories shared here.
Forum rules
This subforum is listed in the public area - no log in is required to view; please keep that in mind when posting here.
ZOOOMM
Squid
FJRModel: 2014FJR

Re: RIP - my buddy 1911/Duane Wellington just passed away

Post by ZOOOMM »

Truly a good man now gone.
Thoughts and prayers go out to Marilee and family. ❤️🕊️
wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Unbelievable!! I met Duane a coupla times, and he was everything everyone is saying. Great person. Dammitoltohell, far too young. All the best to Marilee and family. My thoughts are also with you Wheatie, I get it. Big loss.
wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

Just ... shit.
wheatonFJR and Redfish loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR1300A, 2001 zrx1200r, 2001 XR650R

Post by natehawk750 »

Like everyone else here... this really sucks to hear. The few moments I was blessed with spending with Duane and his wife I could sense what beautiful people the are.

I'll miss seeing him at events... what ever we decide to do collectively as a group I'm in.
wheatonFJR, Bugnatr, and bill lumberg loved this
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

spklbuk
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2012 Super Tenere

Post by spklbuk »

Thoughts and prayers.
wheatonFJR loved this
Montani Semper Liberi

Dog hair is a fashion statement and a condiment.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Duane, as far as I know, didn’t smoke, but to me, he was kind of the Marlboro man. At least that’s how I thought of him. I’ll tell you something funny- or at least as funny as it can be in the midst of such a loss:

A while back, Duane hand dug a long, deep trench for a water line, to save the girls trouble when watering the horses. He opened with something like “I used my PhD today.” I had yet to read the explanation.

Based solely on the individual I had met and ridden with a few times, and spoken with sparingly, I 100% believed that he was referring to his PhD. He seemed like a doctorate sort of person, and clearly had that intellect and gravitas, though he was probably totally unaware of it.

I’m a fairly good reader of people, and I felt kind of stupid when I figured out that he was obviously using the old time honored humorous reference to post hole diggers.

My thoughts are with his family, and with Mark. I don’t wish to offend anyone, but sometimes I think the guy upstairs could use a good punch in the throat.
BkerChuck, CraigRegs, Niehart and 9 others loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Duane and I did this dayride this past summer on a whim. It is hard getting schedules to line up sometimes, but it is SO important. I NEVER had anything but a stellar ride with Duane. He didn't care, rain, cold, whatever...he was up for it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 84043&z=17

I likely would have quit riding in 2020, except this guy took me riding in Virginia to Paint Bank. He didn't talk much, but he definitely loved Virginia. He thought of retiring to a place in SW VA, so he said.

A beautiful day with goodness. Probably wrote a RR on it. I later did it solo, because I needed to do it.

PS- I will order the sweet tea and BLT for breakfast at STAX pancake house one of these mornings in Duane's honor...as that was a common order of his...and a common meetup place before a ride.
Last edited by wheatonFJR on Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
Steel_Gin, Niehart, Bugnatr and 7 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Duane was a music officianado sp? He loved the Blues, as well as all other types of music. He was damn smart, smarter than most...but was extremely humble. During a Maggie Valley EOM after my accident, he was patient and rode with me. But of course he combined a ride with music.

Farewell Duane.

https://vimeo.com/364465320
Bounce, Niehart, LKLD and 4 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Well shit, this sucks. I don't think we ever met in person but I certainly knew him from here and his most excellent RR's. Will be missed.
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Let me know when.
wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:04 pm
PS- I will order the sweet tea and not for breakfast at STAX pancake house one of these mornings in Duane's honor...as that was a common order of his...and A common meeting place before covid.
Cav47 and wheatonFJR loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

I have met them several times. At a Ruben run and YFO but the most recent and best time to really get to know Duane and Marilee was at a get together hosted by Wheatie and his better half at their home in 2019 when my wife and I were in their hood on a cage trip. Good people for sure. Our sincere condolences to Marilee and all his loved ones.
Agree with Wayne we're all here for you Mark, only a phone call away if you need to talk buddy.
Niehart, wheatonFJR, and El Toro Joe loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Duane and Mark where the first 2 people on FJR's that Viper Dad and I ever rode with. To say that it was an EPIC day for us would be an understatement. I could never put into words how excited I was to ride with those guys and it turned out to exceed every expectation I had for doing it. Loved the fact that Duane was at home eating Hardee's for lunch. Really enjoyed the conversation over lunch with both guys.

The funniest moment of the whole ride was at the end of the ride, we were saying our goodbyes and he made a comment like "That didn't suck as much as I thought it would" or something like that. Wheaton, Viper Dad, and myself all busted up laughing out loud. It was then that he realized how that came across and he clarified it was a weather related comment, due to the morning starting off raining.

It was a great moment to see him laugh and us to be able to rib him a little bit. One of those little moments I'll treasure until it's my time to ride with him again.

Rest In Peace, my friend. What a great human being.
Viper_Dad, Niehart, Bugnatr and 3 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
festar
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2006 in Australia, 2003 in the US

Post by festar »

It does suck.
Sorry for your loss loss mate. Losing a long time friend is like losing family.
Feel for ya
wheatonFJR, Bugnatr, and Cav47 loved this
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have each other.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:19 pm Let me know when.
wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:04 pm
PS- I will order the sweet tea and BLT for breakfast at STAX pancake house one of these mornings in Duane's honor...as that was a common order of his...and A common meeting place before covid.
Will do. Sometime after my valve check is completed. We will do STAX.
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Well indeed, this sucks. It's just not fair. That lady and her family do not deserve this.

He lived a full life with passion, conviction, and love. As Lee describes, Duane was a man of few words, but when he said something, it was meaningful. He was comfortable in his silence, something I admire immensely. He prioritized time with his wife, perhaps a poster child for all of us. He helped people and he loved his family. Being 750 miles away, that's about all I know.

But it's more than enough to call him "friend". Comrade. Brother.

We only get one, my friends. And when that one is gone, that's it.

Stated only for the record - you are among my closest friends. When you hurt, I hurt. If you need, you need only ask and I am at your service.
Steel_Gin, bigjohnsd, CraigRegs and 5 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Definitely not what I want to see when I check in here.

I have many memories with Duane and Marilee. We hooked up on the way to my first SFO. We followed Duane and Marilee to Senoia, GA because she was a big Walking Dead Fan. My best ride with Duane was meeting in Maggie Valley at Wheels Through Time and then proceeding to rip through NC, TN, and GA for the day. I was scheduled for a surgical procedure to remove a kidney stone after that trip. Turns out our antics must have dislodged the stone as I was clear. What an awesome day that was.

I loved his quiet, confident demeanor. He wouldn't talk your ear off, but conversation with Duane was always meaningful.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Marilee and family.

As others have said, whatever we decide to do here, I am in. Raising a glass to Duane tonight. God Speed my friend.
bigjohnsd, CraigRegs, El Toro Joe and 6 others loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
RIP 1911
Panman
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by Panman »

Sorry to hear, didn't know him well but we talked briefly about both of us having 07 FJR's with Bushtec trailers at the Rueben Run and Mariposa. He did some good ride reports.
RIP Duane
Niehart and wheatonFJR loved this
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

I'm so sorry to hear the news of Duane's passing. To Duane's family, Wheatie, bill lumberg, and all the other locals who rode with Duane often, my deepest sympathies. He was a great guy so I've heard from so many of you. Terribly young to have something like this happen to him.
Steel_Gin and wheatonFJR loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
YummYam
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2007 AE - 1960 Matchless G3 - 1974 Mk ll 850 Commando-1999 Triumph Thunderbird Sport

Post by YummYam »

This is such sad news about a guy in the prime of life. Duane reached out to me here when I asked about meeting other members after relocating to Tennessee. We never did get to hook up but I sure appreciated him contacting me.

Sincere condolences to his wife, family and friends. RIP Duane.
wheatonFJR and N4HHE loved this
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Wow, not the news I need to hear. I'll have a Scotch and listen to some blues for Duane. RIP
wheatonFJR loved this