What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by fontanaman »

I met Tyler's group in Fairfield California today at a Starbucks where we enjoyed good conversation and coffee. I went my own way to beat the heat and shorten travel time.

After I got out of the population center on Hwy 101 near Geyserville I realized Booneville California, the heart of all good motorcycle roads, was nearby. A quick GPS update said it adds an hour to my ride. I pull over to check Destination Highway Northern California map to see I needed to take this detour to ride Hwys 128 and 253. Destination Highway rates each in the top 25. And they are usually right and they were not wrong. Excellent roads, little traffic, and big grins. Tire sidewalls were well used today.
CollingsBob, LKLD, Niehart and 4 others loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

fontanaman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:40 pm I met Tyler's group in Fairfield California today at a Starbucks where we enjoyed good conversation and coffee. I went my own way to beat the heat and shorten travel time.

After I got out of the population center on Hwy 101 near Geyserville I realized Booneville California, the heart of all good motorcycle roads, was nearby. A quick GPS update said it adds an hour to my ride. I pull over to check Destination Highway Northern California map to see I needed to take this detour to ride Hwys 128 and 253. Destination Highway rates each in the top 25. And they are usually right and they were not wrong. Excellent roads, little traffic, and big grins. Tire sidewalls were well used today.
People love to dis Ca and I get it from the bs coming out of Sacramento but when it comes to diverse motorcycle roads Ca is hard to beat. I'm glad you are enjoying my back yard. 8-)
Niehart, wheatonFJR, and FJRPittsburgh loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Bugnatr wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:03 pm
fontanaman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:40 pm I met Tyler's group in Fairfield California today at a Starbucks where we enjoyed good conversation and coffee. I went my own way to beat the heat and shorten travel time.

People love to dis Ca and I get it from the bs coming out of Sacramento but when it comes to diverse motorcycle roads Ca is hard to beat. I'm glad you are enjoying my back yard. 8-)
Bug, You must have a big back yard!
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Bugnatr
Veteran

Post by Bugnatr »

FJRPittsburgh wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:40 pm
[/quote]

I consider anything within a day ride or two my back yard :twisted:
Niehart, FJRPittsburgh, and wheatonFJR loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

I am not among those who dis California. I have enjoyed my time here riding on excellent roads. Nothing quite like it anywhere else.
Bugnatr and wheatonFJR loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

FJRPittsburgh wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:40 pm

He's got a noisy wind chime. Ear plugs fixed that pronto....
Bugnatr and FJRPittsburgh loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

fontanaman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:47 pm
I am not among those who dis California. I have enjoyed my time here riding on excellent roads. Nothing quite like it anywhere else.
I don't dis California roads either. But that's about all I don't dis about California. Oh, and I like Bugnatr too. ;)
Niehart and Bugnatr loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Hppants wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:35 am Saturday, I left the house early in the morning while the temperatures were still tolerable. Took a very familiar 100 mile route through the back country. Enjoyed the solitude while the rest of the world slept in from their busy work week and/or Friday night escapades. Home by 10 am, with clear exhaust ..... and a clear head.

Stay thirsty, my friends....

I have been there. :P
FJRPittsburgh, Bounce, Bugnatr and 3 others loved this
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

What did I do to my FJR?

I put it up for sale. :(

viewtopic.php?t=7597
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Bounce wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:29 am What did I do to my FJR?

viewtopic.php?t=7597
Sadly that day will come for all of us at some point. The bike may have to go, but the memories are forever.
Bounce, Boston, FredandJeannesRacer and 2 others loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

El Toro Joe wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:59 am
Bounce wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:29 am What did I do to my FJR?

viewtopic.php?t=7597
Sadly that day will come for all of us at some point. The bike may have to go, but the memories are forever.
Until CHS, CSS, and CRS kick in.
SkooterG and Bounce loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Today I replaced my '13 fork legs with a rebuilt Gen2 set. Much better. I've never liked the single fork setup of the Gen3.
FJRPittsburgh and BkerChuck loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Not my FJR, but started taking care of some tires, fluids, and some cleanup on an 07 for my friend, and his widow from Laurens, SC. Its been a lot harder to work on his bike than I thought it would be.
FJRPittsburgh, bigjohnsd, Niehart and 4 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

Disassembled my OE mirrors for a good cleaning underneath. They sounded terrible when I folded them. Had 88 BBs left from yrs past, replaced the OE balls with new BBs b/c of course the OE balls hopped to their freedom out across the carport somewhere. Except 1. He put up a good fight but I finally got him dislodged from the hole in the mirror plastic. Much smoother now and less vibration. I also set the belleville washers up the way I prefer rather than how the previous owner had them.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Been riding the FJR with the folks who attended Tyler's Northern California ride. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Been busy riding and not photo taking. Here are a few from the last 3 days.

Here is Big John entering the gates of heaven on Hwy 1 heading to Legget Ca. The twistiest piece of Hwy 1 is not along the coast but between the coast and Legget.

The next day we road the Salmon River road between Hwy 96 and Cecilville. Here are a few photos.

Not great pavement. The scenery is very nice but does make up of for the condition of the pavement.

At a tavern in Cecilville.

The payoff for riding the Salmon River road is the road from Cecilville to Callahan then to Gaselle. As I was riding faster than a Gazelle the hands where too busy to use a camera, but the face had a big grin.

Today I left Tyler's group as Lassen Park roads was still closed and hot weather in Northern California was returning soon.

I don't know the name of this Cascade Volcano peak in southern Oregon but this is the Kalmath River.

Crooked River road near Prinville Oregon.

The Crooked River is fed by the Prineville Reservoir.

The dam outlet.

People fishing get the bonus of some great scenery.

The sign says Wild and Scenic.

If the river is damned how is it wild? Apparently a damning the river is not a criteria for eligibility. Interesting.

Tomorrow I return home. It was very nice trip to Northern California. There is nothing quite like it.
escapefjrtist, FJRPittsburgh, bigjohnsd and 7 others loved this
Bugnatr
Veteran

Post by Bugnatr »

Great pictures Jim, enjoyed your stay here last week. Happy trails!
fontanaman loved this
mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

rbentnail wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:33 am ... I also set the belleville washers up the way I prefer rather than how the previous owner had them.
For the record, the OEM way is (())(()), as shown in the pics below:
(click on image for larger view)

Image Image
FJRPittsburgh, wheatonFJR, and Cav47 loved this
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Ice Cream at a beer joint? Sign me up!
bigjohnsd loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

mcatrophy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:42 am
rbentnail wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:33 am ... I also set the belleville washers up the way I prefer rather than how the previous owner had them.
For the record, the OEM way is (())(()), as shown in the pics below:
(click on image for larger view)

Image Image
They hold and fold fine but they're too buzzy to me. I prefer ()()()(). Much more stable and adjustable IMO.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

A few photos from today's ride home. Came up through eastern Oregon on Hwy 207 from Mitchell to Heppner.

For the sake of self preservation I decided not to commit to the turns on Hwy 207's chip sealed roads with gravel shoulders, like I did on on the nice asphalt in California, because there were shadows today and the gravel in the shoulder is the same color as the pavement.

It is very scenic though especially in spring. Not long from now it will be brown.

And even at FJR moderate speed it is fun!

Just look at the double yellow line to see how bumpy this road is.

I stopped at a gas station in Dayton Washington where I met three BMW RT riders who are going to the National MOA in Redmond Oregon. They were from the Midwest and I was able to help with with some route ideas. It might have been the highlight of the day. They wanted see the Pacific Ocean or at least one guy did. The help got them pointed to Hwy 38 in Oregon the best road crossing the coastal mountains in Oregon. Best wishes gentlemen.

Agricultural scenery in Washington. I love this time of year when the canola is blooming.

The wheat is taller than last year when drought stunted growth. When the wheat is tall and the wind blows it looks like ripples on water. Mesmerizing.

It was a good day to be on the FJR.
Last edited by fontanaman on Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
escapefjrtist, N4HHE, Hppants and 11 others loved this