What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by gixxerjasen »

raYzerman wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:52 pm If I could suggest...... when you get a new battery, go ride the darn thing and get a tank of fuel through it with some fuel conditioner/injector cleaner. FJR's don't like to be sitting too long..
I was going to suggest just this, and ride it like you are jwilly to fully clean it out. :lol:
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Day ride to the Uwharrie Mountains.

Niehart, LKLD, SkooterG and 9 others loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Ordered another set of Michelin tires before the $60 rebate ends.
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

Fresh set of RS3 arrived for the trip out west.
SkooterG loved this
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
FjrVfr
Contributor
FJRModel: 2012

Post by FjrVfr »

BkerChuck wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:42 am Ordered another set of Michelin tires before the $60 rebate ends.
Me too. Did you notice that the dates on Rocky Mountain ATV's site are different from the Michelin site? I'm hoping that's not going to be a problem but I have my doubts.

Michelin:
https://www.michelinman.com/motorcycle/ ... ons/spring

RMATV:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/l/20 ... ebate-Info
"Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

FjrVfr wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:25 pm
BkerChuck wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:42 am Ordered another set of Michelin tires before the $60 rebate ends.
Me too. Did you notice that the dates on Rocky Mountain ATV's site are different from the Michelin site? I'm hoping that's not going to be a problem but I have my doubts.

Michelin:
https://www.michelinman.com/motorcycle/ ... ons/spring

RMATV:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/l/20 ... ebate-Info
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/l/20 ... may-rebate

RMATV is currently showing the Michelin rebate through May 31. I just checked.
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
FjrVfr
Contributor
FJRModel: 2012

Post by FjrVfr »

BkerChuck wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:46 pm
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/l/20 ... may-rebate

RMATV is currently showing the Michelin rebate through May 31. I just checked.
Don't know how I missed that. Thank you!
BkerChuck loved this
"Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition
1987 KLR 650 Thumper

Post by Road Runner »

Cleaned the shift actuator on my 08 Advanced Edition. I got a shift 37 fault the other day and almost got stranded. After cleaning the actuator, it seems to be working as designed again. Clutch actuator will be getting cleaned this winter.
BkerChuck and wheatonFJR loved this
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Rode my FJR about 250 miles today. It was a wonderful day in Spokane, about 75 degrees and partly cloudy skies. As it was Memorial Day, a high traffic day, I stuck to the excellent back roads with idyllic scenery.

I screwed up and left my motophoto camera at home so there are only a few shots from today.

Sacheen Lake along the Fertile Valley road.

Along the Columbia River.

After arriving at home around 3:00 pm I washed off the windshield, front and rear tire and pull the FJR into garage in the work position then drained the drive shaft an engine oil then removed the front tire.

The Dunlop RS3 front tire was removed using my No Mar tire changer, no problem, 5 minutes even. I installed a Dunlop RS 4 in about 5 minutes, again no problem. My good luck continued balancing the front tire as I only needed to add one 1/4 oz. weight the the rim, quick an easy.

My good fortune changed quickly when I tried to remove the Dunlop RS 3 rear tire. I removed the upper bead but trying the get the No Mar tool into the lower bead was a PIA, because there was no clearance to insert the tool between the bead and the rim's valley. Grrrrr....

After wrestling with the tire to set it in the rim's valley I managed to get the tire off.

Installing the Dunlop RS4 rear tire didn't go much better. I used every trick in the book, heat, push the tire into the rim's valley, and lubrication. Damn thing was very stubborn to mount.

Here's the deal. The Dunlop RS 3 wore evenly, the FJR handled well and inspired confidence. The front tire of the Dunlop RS3 had another 500 miles left but I removed it with 5700 miles on it as I am heading to California this week. The rear tire had much more tread, perhaps enough for 1000-1500 miles. The Dunlop RS 3 fell far short of mileage expectancy. No matter I was getting 6500 miles from Michelin PR4 GTs and they are easy to mount. JSNF.

End of story.
Niehart, gixxerjasen, N4HHE and 2 others loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Curious - how would you compare mounting the RS4 to mountin the RS3? I've heard that the RS4 is not quite as stiff.

Your RS3 mileage is about what I get.
fontanaman loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

fontanaman wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:53 am My good fortune changed quickly when I tried to remove the Dunlop RS 3 rear tire. I removed the upper bead but trying the get the No Mar tool into the lower bead was a PIA, because there was no clearance to insert the tool between the bead and the rim's valley. Grrrrr....
I'm stumped because once the upper bead is off the lower bead is easy-peasy. Often no-tool removal, if properly lubed.
fontanaman loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Hppants wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:32 am Curious - how would you compare mounting the RS4 to mountin the RS3? I've heard that the RS4 is not quite as stiff.

Your RS3 mileage is about what I get.
I mounted the RS3 when it was 85-90°. I put the tire on the driveway in the afternoon sun for a good long time. That tire was so damn hot I had to wear gloves to protect my hands. It was a pain to put on but I prevailed.

I'd say the RS4 was harder to install because I didn't apply as much heat. I tried every trick in the book, helping hands installed, tire in the valley of the rim and lubrication. What a pain.

Good to know the RS3 mileage is what you get. It fell short of my expectations but it wore very evenly and the bike handled well. As Michelin has a rebate going on now until the end of May 2024 my next stop today is buy a set of PR4 GTs. I get about 6500 miles on a set of those and they are much easier to install. Many here don't like the wear characteristic, but for me they always hold a turn and inspire confidence, despite the wear characteristics.

There is a place in Spokane where a shop installs tires for $25 for each tire, you bring in the tires. I would have gladly paid $25 yesterday to have that rear tire installed. I was pushing the mount bar with my hip, walking into the bar with everything I had and that damn bar would not budge at times. If I like the RS4 I would have them mount the rear tire. The RS4 is going to have to be a very damn good tire to get me to that. Based on current prices, the RS4 needs to last 7800 miles to beat out a PR4 GT lasting 6500 miles, to be cost competitive. I like my tire spreadsheet. :D I don't expect that to happen after reading ScooterG's post on getting 7400 miles on a front RS4. That tire was fricking bald and way past it's prime!

The FJR just likes to eat front tires.
Hppants loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I can't mount an RS3 (front or rear) by myself with my No Mar machine. Heat, lube, whale gizz - doesn't matter. It takes a 3rd hand with a tire spoon ahead of the No Mar bar. A couple of wood blocks on the underside (opposite of where I'm pushing the 2nd bead on) offers a little (VERY little) relief, but it still takes a minimum of 3 hands.
fontanaman and Pterodactyl loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

The problem I see with the NoMar is the blocks that lock the wheels in. They are too big and flat and won't let the tire go down so you can get the second bead into the valley of the wheel as easily..... what you want are the optional wheel support, or what came as standard on the Cycle Hill......

I notice RS3's are almost as hard to mount as a Bridgestone (very stiff sidewalls), however, hot tire and three woodworking clamps gets it done. Oh yes and lube the valley of your wheel, makes life easier.

Next question, are you using the NoMar mounting bar?

Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

Hppants wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:01 pm I can't mount an RS3 (front or rear) by myself with my No Mar machine. Heat, lube, whale gizz - doesn't matter. It takes a 3rd hand with a tire spoon ahead of the No Mar bar. A couple of wood blocks on the underside (opposite of where I'm pushing the 2nd bead on) offers a little (VERY little) relief, but it still takes a minimum of 3 hands.
About 5 years ago BigJohn, Fester, Phil and Charline, and Randy B.came to the Outpost on their way to Alaska, Phil wanted some RS3s mounted on this RT (or maybe to take them off). I had a No Mar at the time and had a few years of experience using it. Those tires kicked my ass and then kicked it some more. Finally got it done with the assistance of many. I then banned RS3s from my shop. I now have a pneumatic/electric tire change and I spit in the general direction of RS3s and their owners..
wheatonFJR, Toter, gixxerjasen and 3 others loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
M. Tyson
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Yes I am using the NoMar mounting bar. One thing I forgot to do was lube the valley of the wheel. Darn I missed that trick. The upper bead was in the valley but I didn't think to try and force the lower bead into the valley.

Today I started cleaning up the FJR as I was putting it back together. I got a late start so the cleaning work is not done. One of the right front brake pads was worn about twice as much as the others. Tomorrow I will clean the pins and pistons, without a complete piston rebuild, and take it for test ride to see if the right front brake disc is warmer than the left.

One of my distractions today was to buy a set of PR4 GT's from Rocky Mt for $373 US before sales tax. I will get a $60 rebate and when I install them I won't have to bust my butt. :D
BkerChuck loved this
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X3, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

Pterodactyl wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:04 pm
Hppants wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:01 pm I can't mount an RS3 (front or rear) by myself with my No Mar machine. Heat, lube, whale gizz - doesn't matter. It takes a 3rd hand with a tire spoon ahead of the No Mar bar. A couple of wood blocks on the underside (opposite of where I'm pushing the 2nd bead on) offers a little (VERY little) relief, but it still takes a minimum of 3 hands.
About 5 years ago BigJohn, Fester, Phil and Charline, and Randy B.came to the Outpost on their way to Alaska, Phil wanted some RS3s mounted on this RT (or maybe to take them off). I had a No Mar at the time and had a few years of experience using it. Those tires kicked my ass and then kicked it some more. Finally got it done with the assistance of many. I then banned RS3s from my shop. I now have a pneumatic/electric tire change and I spit in the general direction of RS3s and their owners..
Yeah? Well, your mother smells of elderberries and your father is a hamster!
wheatonFJR loved this
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR (X2) -- '09 FJR (X2) -- '13 FJR (X3) -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES -- '23 FJR ES -- '14 BMW GSA What can I say? I have issues!
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Hppants wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:32 am Curious - how would you compare mounting the RS4 to mountin the RS3? I've heard that the RS4 is not quite as stiff.
Dunno guys...A couple weeks ago installed a set of RS4s on Niehart's '15. It wasn't that warm a PNW day, maybe high 60s by the time we got around to his tires. I left the RS4s lay in the driveway and they were warm, but definitely not hot. With my HF / Mojo setup, front was a snap. Rear was a little stiffer, but again, went on (what I thought) was very similar to Michelin's. No struggle at all. I'll say the RS4s are easier to mount than RS3s and 'stones.

We left Panman's and my TMM (rears) lay in the driveway and didn't mount them until last. That tire my friends is one stiff SOB. Still went on w/o terrible fuss but needed extra hands to keep it in the valley.

~G
wheatonFJR, Toter, fontanaman and 2 others loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I have the no mar mounting bar as well. I've never heard about "lubing the valley of the rim" - learn something every day. I'll try it!

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

I couldn't make the NoMar bar work....... both ~G and I use a Mojo Lever. Will be mounting up a set of RS3's tomorrow on FJR wheels for a friend.
escapefjrtist and SkooterG loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.