What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wheatonFJR »

I wonder how many reserved tickets they hold for vips? Lol
boatanchor, 3rd class.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Hppants wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:07 pm Jim - that "hwy 261" picture is your calendar shot, and it's most assuredly got my vote!! JSNS....
Yes sir it is! The photo is Miss April 2021.

And Palouse Falls is about 1/2 mile off Hwy 216.

Mudslide Miller, Niehart, CraigRegs and 6 others loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

I just got AI on my Samsung Galaxy 22+ phone so I was trying different photo editing features.

The photo was taken with a Canon camera, the transfered to my phone for goofing around.

In the Gallery app I found a style feature called blue ink. This the result.

Niehart, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

Fontanaman,

FWIW, Gimp is a free photo utility program that can do lots of stuff, including make a line sketch from any pix. Choose the number and density of lines you want in the sketch, and more. You can even make coloring books for kids.

Here's how:

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Photo_To_Sketch/
Niehart, N4HHE, and fontanaman loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Jim,
Your photographs are stunning. Always have been. The AI print is cool, but it pales against what you got in your viewfinder in the slide above.
fontanaman loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:41 pm Jim,
Your photographs are stunning. Always have been. The AI print is cool, but it pales against what you got in your viewfinder in the slide above.
Thank you Mark. The photos I take are ok. Most don't turn out. I like landscape photography and places with stunning scenery and try and capture it.
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

My dad has been a shutter bug forever. His best advice to me was "shoot shoot shoot". IOW - take a TON of pictures. You can always delete the crappy ones. On a typical week long tour, I'll take about 600-750 pictures and from that, maybe 25 -50 will be decent, and hopefully 1 will be good.
SkooterG, CollingsBob, fontanaman and 1 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Hppants wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 am My dad has been a shutter bug forever. His best advice to me was "shoot shoot shoot". IOW - take a TON of pictures. You can always delete the crappy ones. On a typical week long tour, I'll take about 600-750 pictures and from that, maybe 25 -50 will be decent, and hopefully 1 will be good.
I was heavily into photography from high school days in the late 60's/early 70's. Had an early SLR and did all my own B&W photo processing. Unlike today's point, shoot and take a million pictures to get a couple that are decent, I always spent more time on composition, focus and exposure because of the COST. I even bought film in 100' rolls and loaded my own cassettes to reduce expense. I still took a lot of photographs but only printed maybe one in five (photographic paper/chemicals was WAY more expensive than film).

Fun fact - even in the earliest days of digital photography, I couldn't be indiscriminate with respect to taking a million photos - memory cards had relatively limited capacity in "high resolution" mode and they were relatively expensive. I also carried a separate film camera because image quality/resolution was vastly superior. Took a LONG time before phone cameras became good enough for day-to-day image capture. Although I have a relatively early DSLR, it never gets used anymore. While it takes better photos than a good phone camera, it is a PITA to carry and is relatively fragile.

I am more liberal with the number of photos I take these days, but there is some holdover of old habits. It used to be technically far more complex.
No auto exposure so you had to use an averaging meter and decide based upon lighting and contrast which aperture and shutter speed to choose.
Choose between lens opening (and resulting depth of field) vs shutter speed (stop action and camera shake).
No auto-focus
I didn't have a zoom lens early on, but I had a wide angle in addition to two different telephotos so you learn about the difference in perspective and depth of field (focus) between backing off and using a telephoto (100mm or 200mm) to frame your subject or getting closer and using a wide angle (35mm),or the normal (50mm) lens. These were screw-mount lenses and changing from one to another was not instantaneous (bayonet-mount lenses for some cameras were faster to change). Since I did my own processing, I had some luxury in being able to adjust framing or crop/zoom in the darkroom, you quickly learn that it is better to take the photo right in the first place. Same with exposure - possible to compensate to some extent, but far better to be right.
No anti-shake - keep steady, especially with telephoto shots or slower shutter speeds in low light.
Tripod almost a necessity for landscape photography, especially for telephoto.
Be aware of film latitude - correct exposure is key.

As expensive as this hobby was for B&W photography (mowed a lot of lawns to feed the habit), I took relatively few color photos until the '80's when commercial color photo processing became vaguely affordable (and I had kids to photograph). Even then, it was always quality over quantity.

How things have changed!

Oops! Not very FJR of me in the "What did you do..." thread. Planning another run on the new RoadSmart IV today. MIGHT take some pictures.
Last edited by FJRoss on Sat May 18, 2024 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
CraigRegs, fontanaman, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

My T-Rex frame sliders arrived this morning so I installed those on my 2013. Weather here today is ugly so doubtful a test ride will be taken.
Spininprop loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Hppants wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 am My dad has been a shutter bug forever. His best advice to me was "shoot shoot shoot". IOW - take a TON of pictures. You can always delete the crappy ones. On a typical week long tour, I'll take about 600-750 pictures and from that, maybe 25 -50 will be decent, and hopefully 1 will be good.
Thankfully digital photos cost little more than the electricity your camera consumed.

Film and developing could get expensive. "Back in the day (high school)" I would "roll my own" 35mm Kodak Tri-X from 100' rolls. Develop in the garage where I also had my Omega B-22 enlarger. Still have this equipment, in a box.
CraigRegs and wheatonFJR loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Thank you for the post on photography in the 70s and 80's FJRoss. Much appreciated. I enjoy hearing how about photography prior to digital photography. People with this experience have an advantage over those who only know digital photography. Former film photographers get the composition right based on experience rather than luck.

I guy I used to work with was a photographer at his job. He took photos of the Boeing airplanes before delivery. He was very good with Photoshop and explained the design philosophy of Photoshop is based on darkroom techniques and processes and them demonstrated it. No wonder newcomers find Photoshop has a high learning curve we never learned the basics.

Back to the FJR. Next week I will mount a set of Dunlop RS4 in preparation Adventures in Nor Cal hosted by Tyler and Dangerous Curves. The the front wear bars on the RS3's are nearly level with the rest of the tire at about 5,500 miles. There might be another 500 miles there but not enough for a multi day trip. :cry:

And thanks everyone for letting us indulge in a bit of photography discussion. For me it helps connecting with others.
Last edited by fontanaman on Sat May 18, 2024 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I saw an article once on contradicting views on photography. One photographer took a hundred photos and chose the best one. The other one arrived, carefully framed and set up their shot and took one photo. Both were very good photos as I recall, neither one better than the other one. Two separate approaches to the same goal.
fontanaman loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

My oldest brother lived his life as a photographer with a day job...as photographic work is far from lucrative. As a summary, he was the oldest of 5 and extremely artistic. He could draw anything in junior high, and he was an extremely talented violinist. He is 6 years older than me, and I started violin in the summer between 3rd and 4th grade because of him.

After my sophomore year in High School I went with him and others across the country on two week backpack trip to climb Gannett Peak in Wyoming. On this two week trip my brother took 36 rolls of Kodachrome slide film, 36 photos per roll. I helped him carry telephoto and other lenses for his Canon. At one point during the first day of 14 miles, I was carrying 80lbs in my backpack. I weighed 115 at the time.

I had some stuff to do on my FJR, oil change and air filter to do, but I didn't do it. Im retired but I still hate deadlines.

Also, big announcement... be aware of a well ridden and well loved 07 FJR that is going to be for sale soon. A friend of mine and yours who passed last year, his widow has requested that we sell his 07 FJR for her. There will also be a trailer involved as well. Be thinking of your friends who may be interested.

There will be a separate announcement forthcoming in the coming week or three.
danh600, fontanaman, N4HHE and 1 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:56 pm
Also, big announcement... be aware of a well ridden and well loved 07 FJR that is going to be for sale soon. A friend of mine and yours who passed last year, his widow has requested that we sell his 07 FJR for her. There will also be a trailer involved as well. Be thinking of your friends who may be interested.

ScooterG needs an FJR and a trailer.
El Toro Joe, gixxerjasen, Festus and 1 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

fontanaman wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:03 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:56 pm

ScooterG needs an FJR and a trailer.
This FJR isn't as virgin as our resident FJR whore likes. This FJR was well used and loved by Duane. I rode alongside it many a mile...but was not fortunate enough to accompany him and his lovely bride Maralee on their more recent trips to the far west and northwest. I can vouch firsthand though that many smiles came from Duane while riding this 07 FJR.
boatanchor, 3rd class.
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Washed it. Some avian bastage used it as a target while I was at work today.
Spininprop, Boston, fontanaman and 1 others loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Rode it to work
Hppants loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Not my FJR, but Duane's FJR made it to my house...at Maralee's request. This was really Griff's doing, in his SUV pulling a ltwt trailer.

Maralee teared up when the inevitable happened and we pulled away to my place in Travelers Rest. We will have to put in a new battery, change some fluids, and get some decent takeoffs installed. We did use a jump box to turn it over, and that 07 FJR sounded perfect. However, its been sitting too long and deserves a new battery.

Duane's mom, in pain and all, got up to greet me and ask how Louanne is doing.

Sometimes, FJRs are more than machines.
danh600, Hppants, gixxerjasen and 3 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

If I could suggest...... when you get a new battery, go ride the darn thing and get a tank of fuel through it with some fuel conditioner/injector cleaner. FJR's don't like to be sitting too long..
danh600, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

raYzerman wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:52 pm If I could suggest...... when you get a new battery, go ride the darn thing and get a tank of fuel through it with some fuel conditioner/injector cleaner. FJR's don't like to be sitting too long..
Thanks for the advice...but I tell you, this bike was running like champ! Seriously. It was awesome. However, I will ride it in the hood.
raYzerman loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.