What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by D-Eagle »

Rode it to the gas station the next town over to put rec fuel in it. Temps dropping to low 20's next week and these turds never miss an opportunity to throw salt down. Once that happens, I'm done until we get a big rain. Hopefully the snow stays away for another month.
FJRPittsburgh, BikerGeek, and El Toro Joe loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

CraigRegs wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:38 am One gets interesting looks when walking into Sephora in a road-weary banana suit.
Since it was you, the road-weary banana suit had nothing to do with it.

Since it was you.

JSNS
CraigRegs wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:38 am At least it was freshly washed, so they didn't need to spray me with eau de toilette.
Perhaps they thought that 'eau de old people' was a new, trendy fragrance.
Hppants, CraigRegs, N4HHE and 2 others loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Pointed toward launch position. Who knows where I'll end up!
PhilJet09, Boston, and gixxerjasen loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I swapped top cases. Rode it to buy steak and 🥃

I’m going to wash it and add a file to the gps. Black Friday approaches, and threadshitters will be chased.

We will perpetrate, and we shall regulate.
BikerGeek, PhilJet09, gixxerjasen and 1 others loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Actually the other day and as I posted in the other sandbox, it's time to put her away for the winter before the weather turns to crap. So Seafoam and tank topped off. Smuggler removed and bags, trunk and pillion seat reinstalled. Rode her over to my son's garage. Usually stored at my brother in law's but he's packed out this year. So now I'll need to get a new battery tender. One problem though, the sun was going down as I headed over and I noticed my dash lights were not on. When I got there and cycled the ignition they came back on so I may have been spider bit. At least at my son's I'll be able to work on it. Now I'll have to start my research and hopefully it's not too bad. 😕
Pappy 09AE
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Dash lights could be as simple as the key position not sitting right, ie, connections are at the bottom of the ignition switch.... just check that jiggling the key back and forth causes it. Could be spiders but I would think you'd have more symptoms than that...... OTOH, if you've never serviced your ground spiders, it would be an excellent idea for any Gen2 owner...... why wait for one to melt down if you can prevent it........

Spider diagram might be helpful......... along with Russ's thread....
https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/the-g ... ost-909154

wheatonFJR and FastPappy loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Rode it! Followed an accomplished SC rider on some gems in weather that Wheatonites can only dream of for the next 5 months.
Blueridgerider, Toter, bigjohnsd and 1 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:07 pm Dash lights could be as simple as the key position not sitting right, ie, connections are at the bottom of the ignition switch.... just check that jiggling the key back and forth causes it. Could be spiders but I would think you'd have more symptoms than that...... OTOH, if you've never serviced your ground spiders, it would be an excellent idea for any Gen2 owner...... why wait for one to melt down if you can prevent it........

Spider diagram might be helpful......... along with Russ's thread....
https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/the-g ... ost-909154

Interesting that you mention the ignition. That was the last service the dealer performed for me, the ignition recall. I cringe when I think of anything they may have touched. I'll definitely take a look there first. Thx. ;)
Pappy 09AE
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Washed it. Ordered a new rear tire for it.

My current rs3 is just approaching the wear bars in the center, but I’ve got a miles coming up and I’m going to bite the bullet and get a new one, so I don’t get caught short, or worse, have to abort or cancel a ride due to a worn out tire.
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:17 pm Washed it. Ordered a new rear tire for it.

My current rs3 is just approaching the wear bars in the center, but I’ve got a miles coming up and I’m going to bite the bullet and get a new one, so I don’t get caught short, or worse, have to abort or cancel a ride due to a worn out tire.
I cut a cross section through my first RS3 when it was bald and found a lot of rubber between tread and cords. This was the front:

Uncle Hud, danh600, Hppants and 2 others loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Rode it two kilometers round trip to top off the gas tank for the winter nap!. No temperatures forecast much above freezing for at least the next couple of weeks and most likely it will stay put until late March...

I might feed it a few ounces of fuel stabilizer (after I get to the store to buy some) and run it in the garage to get the stabilized fuel to the injectors. (Letting the engine fully warm up (10+ minutes) before shutting it down.)
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

Adjusted 5 intake and 2 exhaust valve clearances. I always check them again after re-assembly. #3B exhaust had no clearance at all…crap! Pulled that cam back out and got the shim seated back down where it’s supposed to be. Dumb mistake not making sure in the first place. Back together and re-check. All is right with the world, all it cost me was time.
bill lumberg, BikerGeek, bungie4 and 3 others loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Winterized it. Meaning I moved the knee panels to the outward position, plugged the beak tunnel, retrieved the heated seat pad from the basement, and fished the #2 heated gear lead from behind the fairing.

Texted natehawk for advice on reinforcing a screen that cracked at the bottom. Not bottom to screw hole, just bottom edge the screw-cover hole.
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Mine is not even bald. That’s vauluable info.

I have 8-9 hours of slab Wed/Thurs, and an all day shredathon on Black Friday ( using a different part of the tire than the slab run). I may wait.

If the shredathon was first, it’d be an easy call. The sides of this rear tire are pristine.
N4HHE wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:28 pm
bill lumberg wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:17 pm Washed it. Ordered a new rear tire for it.

I cut a cross section through my first RS3 when it was bald and found a lot of rubber between tread and cords. This was the front:

Last edited by bill lumberg on Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheatonFJR, 0face, and N4HHE loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

I’m sure I have a day ride left in these PR4GTs. I’m sure of it.
bill lumberg loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

bill lumberg wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:19 pm Meaning I moved the knee panels to the outward position
Didn't we determine years ago that this doesn't actually do anything?
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

If you have ridden at freezing temperatures, you should notice that those panels deflect cold air away from your knees, and rain too if you've ridden in the rain.... is it much, well, depends.... moreso on Gen2 than Gen3 IMHO...... does it matter in the cold, it does to me when I have ridden significant distances in the cold..... I'd say most don't ride in the real cold, so won't care that much..... and your best defense is heated gear.
Uncle Hud, bill lumberg, Cav47 and 1 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

We did not.

In the out position, they merely provide an extra half inch of wind protection on each side. No complex convection or engine heat component. They just make the fairing a teeny bit wider.

This results in an easily felt difference in cold weather. The difference is more subtle in mild cold with textile or leather riding gear, but in serious cold, even with, say, aerostich Darien’s, the difference is quite noticeable.
Uncle Hud, wheatonFJR, 0face and 1 others loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

See, already two different supposed results. :D

Used to commute year round on the FJR, down to about 22F was my coldest. It does actually get colder here but that's usually when there's an ice storm, and I leave the FJR home for those. Well, most of them. My boss did send me home early one day telling me to bring a weather appropriate vehicle with me the next day. Thank goodness he sent me home because it was really bad during my normal time riding home. But anyway, yes, heated gear is what I used, never used the little flaps on the sides though, mostly because I've never heard a good consensus on what exactly they do. There's even some who say to open them in the summer to let the heat out.

In the end, they are just something that needs removing to get to that bolt to get the side fairing off.
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I don’t rely on other folks’ perceptions of what I have in hand. (That’s a strategy I use when deciding whether to buy something ). If I already have it, I just use it and decide whether it has a benefit.

On a cold morning, particularly if I’m wearing mesh or merely wearing 5.11 apex pants or jeans, I can easily feel the cold on the outside of my leg and hip. An extra half inch of fairing on both sides makes a difference.

Likewise, if it’s in the 20’s, even in aerostich, that slightly diminished blast, over time, makes a difference, to this rider.

That being said, if Yamaha started making them fixed and immovable, our lives would not be fundamentally changed.
Hppants, gixxerjasen, raYzerman and 2 others loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES