What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wheatonFJR »

CollingsBob wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:54 pm I changed the oil & filter and plugged in the Battery Tender. 5c today..too cold to ride - for another 6 months.
Man, you must get a lot of sex.

Somethings keeping you up there in Winterpeg. I know its not Bobby Hull.
CollingsBob and FJRPittsburgh loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
fjrob
Veteran
FJRModel: 03

Post by fjrob »

Rode around all day. Couple hundred kms .Nice day for it. Made a set of 'wings" off the windshield to deflect wind away from my hands.. I have an Ndash. Cant run the Suzuki hand guards.
Niehart and FJRPittsburgh loved this
#1 frost back!!!
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:21 pm
CollingsBob wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:54 pm I changed the oil & filter and plugged in the Battery Tender. 5c today..too cold to ride - for another 6 months.
Man, you must get a lot of sex.

Somethings keeping you up there in Winterpeg. I know its not Bobby Hull.
Now you know why Canadians are such great hockey players…”winter wrist”..
Niehart, Panman, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Almost hit a 6 point buck with it.

Left for work this morning, left the development and turned out onto the main road. Maybe 50-100 yards down the road saw movement to my right and rolled off throttle and began to brake. 6 point buck comes out of the brush, makes one big leap and hits the pavement then bounds off to the other side of the road and jumps the guardrail. I think there might have been 2 feet between us. Heart rate went through the roof. This was where I hit a deer on my Buell about 20 years ago. Fortunately made it through unscathed but that was way closer than I would like.
Last edited by BkerChuck on Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Hud, Niehart, CollingsBob and 5 others loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
Boston
FJRModel: 2005 FJR1300 2001 Roadstar

Post by Boston »

Out with the summer oil and in with the winter oil.
CollingsBob and gixxerjasen loved this
IBA# 76760
smithpa68
Squid
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300

Post by smithpa68 »

New tires and front brakes. Well…. Half front brakes…didn’t realize that I needed 4 “sets” of OEM pads. I thought two disks = 2 sets. Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CollingsBob loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

smithpa68 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:38 pm New tires and front brakes. Well…. Half front brakes…didn’t realize that I needed 4 “sets” of OEM pads. I thought two disks = 2 sets. Nope. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, two pads per package for OEM. I've been happy with the EBC HH pads. Same price as OEM per package, but you get four pads instead of two - at least that's how cost compared the last time I bought some.
CollingsBob and FastPappy loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

BkerChuck wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:13 am Almost hit a 6 point buck with it.

Left for work this morning, left the development and turned out onto the main road. Maybe 50-100 yards down the road saw movement to my right and rolled off throttle and began to brake. 6 point buck comes out of the brush, makes one big leap and hits the pavement then bounds off to the other side of the road and jumps the guardrail. I think there might have been 2 feet between us. Heart rate went through the roof. This was where I hit a deer on my Buell about 20 years ago. Fortunately made it through unscathed but that was way closer than I would like.
I’m riding tomorrow before sunrise, I will remember this. Glad you came away unscathed…except for the soiled undergarments.
boatanchor, 3rd class.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Got up early with the intention of getting to the BRP high point by sunrise. As I saw the light heading up NC215, I knew I wasn't gonna make it. So I turned into the first overlook and looked around me.

Glow in front of me...

Full moon behind me...

Nice glow as I looked down the valley

Moon...

Predawn glow

I continued up to Jwilly's place since I told myself and others that I would. A ridge shades that location at sunrise, but still beautiful and will always be a meaningful place to me...

Orange Creamsickle. Courtesy of J. Williams.

I had intentions of continuing on to Newfound Gap before returning to the doublewide, but I was encountering fog/low hangin clouds so I wimped out. I also didn't have a certain riding buddy along to say hell yeah, ride all day! I figured I had used up some of my luck heading uphill solo in the dark, missing deer, black bear, and elk...all of which we have in these parts. I also had a short lapse of concentration after it was light heading to Jwilly's....ending up riding a curve half on the grass, half on the pavement. Wasn't any big deal, but I've had incidents that started out "...wasn't any big deal".

So I headed east and promptly found what sun does to a fogged up visor, so stopped for a bio break, changed shields and carried on the Lumberg tradition on a chilly ride.

Proof that I'm even shorter than I look...
Last edited by wheatonFJR on Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Hud, John d, CollingsBob and 13 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

Its hard to beat mountain riding in October in this area and I tried to make the most of it this year. These are a few shots from the past week. The first was on the BRP about a week ago when the foliage was just starting to peak. The others are from yesterdays 275 mile ride. I had planned a loop going up the ole Devil's Whip or RT80 to the parkway then back down RT276 but I get to Craggy Gardens and it was blocked off. I usually check the website for closures but figured no way in leaf season unless there was an accident etc. but its closed until further notice due to bear management. Huh? Supposedly someone tried to feed and hold a cub :shock: Another example of how a few idiots screw things up for the rest of us.

In the end I was glad to have gone back down 80 as the sun was perfect and was able to get the 360 snapshots catching the horseshoes curves on the road. Not many beat that road. Just thought I would share some of what was one of my best rides of the year.

Niehart, LKLD, El Toro Joe and 8 others loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Awesome shots man! Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I just read about a number of human/bear interactions (Do we know where hppants was?) that forced them to block off the parkway.

I really like your Rt 80 shots.

Duane and I went up many a time on the way to Roan Mountain. Of course, he learned what a Wheaton Pass was within a year or two of us riding together. After the leaves drop we would be able to see through those many compound curves and he show'd me how it was done. That, and on US276 up the hill.
Hppants and Blueridgerider loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

The first picture is a Calendar worthy shot for sure.

The 2nd one (with the 20 mph sign) is simply fantastic. I really like that picture.

Well done BRR!
El Toro Joe and Blueridgerider loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Wheatie, I would buy elk, but, caribou? Me thinks not in NC. Irregardless, great post, and pics.
wheatonFJR, Full House, and Blueridgerider loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Toter wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:31 pm Wheatie, I would buy elk, but, caribou? Me thinks not in NC. Irregardless, great post, and pics.
You’re right. I was mistaken. Post fixed.
boatanchor, 3rd class.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Hppants wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:22 pm The first picture is a Calendar worthy shot for sure.

The 2nd one (with the 20 mph sign) is simply fantastic. I really like that picture.

Well done BRR!
Both need to be submitted.
wheatonFJR, Blueridgerider, and El Toro Joe loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Rode around the C. FL “90’s” today, with these 2 hooligans (Jeff & Dan). Started this morning at 50°, but mid 70’s by mid day, with sunny skies. Always good to hang out with forum brothers.

Uncle Hud, Bugnatr, Hppants and 13 others loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

LKLD wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:29 pm Rode around the C. FL “90’s” today, with these 2 hooligans (Jeff & Dan). Started this morning at 50°, but mid 70’s by mid day, with sunny skies. Always good to hang out with forum brothers.

Good day! Always fun to go on a ride with friends. We got lucky the cold front that came through had no rain. Very unusual for down here. I started out at 48f but quickly warmed up to a nice day.

We stopped at a place we tried to go on a FL RTE years ago but it was burned down then. They have rebuilt it. Kind of a Harley biker bar on the weekends. On a Thursday it was calm. They serve good food out of a food truck. They were smoking some brisket and the owner showed me some big dino ribs they were going to cook. The hamburgers were very good!

Hopefully we showed Jeff riding in FL is not all bad.

I didn't get to show him the other 3 curves in FL. So he has to come back for FWG5. :lol:
Bugnatr, Hppants, BikerGeek and 5 others loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

I walked by it and realized that I haven't ridden it in more than a month. I have been mostly riding my BMW F700GS. Not because I like it better, but because the tires on the FJR are about done and I haven't taken the time to change them out. (Procrastinating because I also have to service drive splines, u-joint and relay arm bearings.) Also really need to get the Penske shock serviced. At this point, I'm guessing that it will all wait until spring - not many more riding days this season.
Good thing about having two bikes is being able to ride if one is down for maintenance or other issue. The bad part is that you can (and often will) avoid doing the maintenance as long as possible - especially when the weather is nice.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

FJRoss wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:32 am Good thing about having two bikes is being able to ride if one is down for maintenance or other issue. The bad part is that you can (and often will) avoid doing the maintenance as long as possible - especially when the weather is nice.
I feel this.
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:41 am
FJRoss wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:32 am Good thing about having two bikes is being able to ride if one is down for maintenance or other issue. The bad part is that you can (and often will) avoid doing the maintenance as long as possible - especially when the weather is nice.
I feel this.
I don't. I have one bike. Motivation to maintain one bike is enough for me. Anything more feels like damn work to me.

But I'm glad for you that y'all have the willpower to maintain all your motorcycles.
boatanchor, 3rd class.