The Official 2019 Calendar Contest

Sub-Forum to hold the annual FJRiders.com calendar contest threads.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: The Official 2019 Calendar Contest

Post by ionbeam »

Uncle Hud wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:23 pm ....the 2014 ménage à trois!
We were at a breakfast stop, on our way to another Fine Day Out. Jim, Iris and SnowCat humored me and let me setup the shot.

I'd like to include the following picture taken at the same time, but it is cropped nearly square and probably wouldn't be suitable for the calendar shape.

Here is lookin' at ya. The evil eyes...
Steel_Gin and wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Uncle Hud wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:23 pm Nice saguaros! And I especially like the 2014 ménage à trois!
I don't know for certain...but I'm guessing that two of those three 14s are as clean today as they were in that photo. :lol: (Unless Jim has gotten sidetracked)
boatanchor, 3rd class.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

That is priceless...
Uncle Hud wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:15 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:57 pm If you could read, you'd already know the answer.
Thanks, Iggy!
Cav47 loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I was looking over some of the shots and was wondering about aspect ratios and wondering if maybe that should be a requirement for next year's submissions. Make folks crop them to be like they'd be in the calendar, and it'd save you having to do that work if it's done ahead of time. Some photos I see look really good but if they have to be cropped it could affect the end result pretty drastically.
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

extrememarine wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:23 pm That is priceless...
:finger: :finger: :finger:

:twisted: :twisted:
boatanchor, 3rd class.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:25 pm I was looking over some of the shots and was wondering about aspect ratios and wondering if maybe that should be a requirement for next year's submissions. Make folks crop them to be like they'd be in the calendar, and it'd save you having to do that work if it's done ahead of time. Some photos I see look really good but if they have to be cropped it could affect the end result pretty drastically.
I have a hard enough time getting people to submit photos with a high enough resolution and in the right orientation. Perhaps I should do the cropping before I post them to the contest. I'm not always in a spot to do that right away though.
Uncle Hud, Madmudder, and wheatonFJR loved this
TimDog!
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 CanAm Spyder ST

Post by Tyler »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:15 pm
Tyler wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:32 am Okay I'm late to the game but finally got my submissions in... :D
Took you awhile to submit.

But you finally gave in. :stickpoke:
Finding time to go through the four or five (thousand) photos I've taken and choose two was a bit of a challenge... :P
Last edited by Tyler on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hppants loved this
"Spend time with those who make you better." ~Anonymous
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:04 pm
gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:25 pm I was looking over some of the shots and was wondering about aspect ratios and wondering if maybe that should be a requirement for next year's submissions. Make folks crop them to be like they'd be in the calendar, and it'd save you having to do that work if it's done ahead of time. Some photos I see look really good but if they have to be cropped it could affect the end result pretty drastically.
I have a hard enough time getting people to submit photos with a high enough resolution and in the right orientation. Perhaps I should do the cropping before I post them to the contest. I'm not always in a spot to do that right away though.
Understood, however I was hoping to take some burden off of you. Plus, it would make the submitter think about how it's going to look and instead of submitting a wide shot that looks beautiful, they'd see how it looked cut down, and so would the voters. Unless of course you have the option of printing with a wide shot and borders. I'm not sure how all that works for the particular vendor you use. Just a thought, and definitely don't want to put more work on you, just less.
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:00 am Understood, however I was hoping to take some burden off of you. Plus, it would make the submitter think about how it's going to look and instead of submitting a wide shot that looks beautiful, they'd see how it looked cut down, and so would the voters. Unless of course you have the option of printing with a wide shot and borders. I'm not sure how all that works for the particular vendor you use. Just a thought, and definitely don't want to put more work on you, just less.
All good points. For now, the borders and accents that I add to each image to an extent can compensate for various issues with the image. But it is an evolving process. In an ideal world, I'd like to have users upload their own images and crop them correctly all through the site. That's a ways off before that happens.

As for this year, well, everyone is just going to have to trust me. :lol: Don't worry. It'll look good.
ionbeam, Auburn, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
TimDog!
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

I have to remember to reset the resolution on my camera when I want to take pictures for this. Most of the long distance rallies have a maximum resolution they allow for photos so I normally keep my camera turned down to that level so I don't lose points being penalized for too high resolution.

Hud, This is indeed TMI in the background of one of my photos. From my home in a straight line I'm probably only 4-5 miles away. Makes it easy to go recharge your Hi-Viz gear when it stops glowing.....LOL.
wheatonFJR loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

BC - I've made the resolution mistake for the last time. Tim is correct - throwing an extra memory card in the tank bag is really simple, and that has been done. If I'm on the hiking trail and find myself out of memory, it's easy to scroll through a few throw away shots and delete them to open up enough memory to get you back to the bike. And back at the barn, you can always take a high-res image and cut it down to meet a requirement. But this is like a hair cut - you can't grow it back.

Regarding the cropping issue, although I'm not complaining, I'd like to be able to present my submission the way I want to see it in the calendar. Of course, I'd need to do that in the correct aspect ratio, and meet all other technical requirements (no photoshopping, etc). The truth is - no one does it this way. Rider Magazine made it clear to me that I must submit my photographs in raw format with a minimum resolution and NO altercations what so ever. Furthermore by submitting, I was agreeing to let them do whatever they want with my pictures. These conditions are commonplace among publishers of all kinds, including digital ones. The pictures that were included in the magazine article I submitted were cropped a little, but the overall presentation was pretty close to what I sent. In that case, I got lucky.

I am a firm believer in allowing the artist (writer, photographer, sculptor, painter, etc) express the piece and the subject creatively without interference. Once that is done, let the admirer, voyeur, and viewer decide for themselves, and let the votes fall where they may. However and again, I fully understand that this is not a democracy and we all agree to play by whatever rules Tim sees fit.

Regardless and above all that - I can already see that this will be the VERY best calendar we have had. I'm disappointed that I didn't get a shot good enough to make the cut. The irony for me is that where I usually fail in the photography department (the technical part) didn't bite me this year. What got me is that I didn't do enough riding to get to a place that offered me a decent canvas. And that has led to disappointment WAY BEYOND not making the calendar.

Looking forward to a better 2019.
Steel_Gin, Auburn, Cav47 and 1 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Tim,
Thanks for all your efforts for all of us. I, for one, appreciate it greatly.
Gramps, DesignFlaw06, NTXFJR and 5 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

Tyler wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:57 pm
Tyler wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:32 am Okay I'm late to the game but finally got my submissions in... :D

Finding time to go through the four or five (thousand) photos I've taken and choose two was a bit of a challenge... :P
I tried to help by picking out two for you. :stickpoke: :lol:
Tyler loved this
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Tyler »

deang wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:56 pm
Tyler wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:57 pm

I tried to help by picking out two for you. :stickpoke: :lol:
You're such a giver, Dean... ;) :lol:
Steel_Gin loved this
DesignFlaw06
Veteran

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Hppants wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:15 am Regarding the cropping issue, although I'm not complaining, I'd like to be able to present my submission the way I want to see it in the calendar. Of course, I'd need to do that in the correct aspect ratio, and meet all other technical requirements (no photoshopping, etc). The truth is - no one does it this way. Rider Magazine made it clear to me that I must submit my photographs in raw format with a minimum resolution and NO altercations what so ever. Furthermore by submitting, I was agreeing to let them do whatever they want with my pictures. These conditions are commonplace among publishers of all kinds, including digital ones. The pictures that were included in the magazine article I submitted were cropped a little, but the overall presentation was pretty close to what I sent. In that case, I got lucky.

I am a firm believer in allowing the artist (writer, photographer, sculptor, painter, etc) express the piece and the subject creatively without interference. Once that is done, let the admirer, voyeur, and viewer decide for themselves, and let the votes fall where they may. However and again, I fully understand that this is not a democracy and we all agree to play by whatever rules Tim sees fit.

Regardless and above all that - I can already see that this will be the VERY best calendar we have had. I'm disappointed that I didn't get a shot good enough to make the cut. The irony for me is that where I usually fail in the photography department (the technical part) didn't bite me this year. What got me is that I didn't do enough riding to get to a place that offered me a decent canvas. And that has led to disappointment WAY BEYOND not making the calendar.

Looking forward to a better 2019.
One could argue that I am the artist and you're buying into what my creativity deems appropriate. :D These photos are just the tools that I use. It's a little late this year, but next year, I will include a template file that everyone can download. Those savvy enough will be able to use it to get their image how they would like it.

The reality is that it can't be a democracy. That doesn't mean I don't place value on the feedback. I will continue to improve this contest as long as the interest is there, but the easiest way to disappoint everyone is by trying to please everyone in the first place. The one true voice everyone has is their vote on each image and their decision on purchasing a calendar or not.

I wish I had more opportunities to take pictures this past summer. I really want to try getting some shots with the drone and the bike. That requires someone else that's willing to waste the day with me while I try to figure it out. I'm not sure trying to fly while riding is the safest approach.
Auburn, CraigRegs, Tyler and 3 others loved this
TimDog!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Tim - I'd absolutely LOVE to waste a day with you and that drone. I'm still itching to get to the Upper Peninsula. Maybe one day....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

Bugnatr, extrememarine, gixxerjasen and 1 others loved this
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

This month's pic for 2018 is awesome!!
CraigRegs loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Indeed...

deang wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:56 pm This month's pic for 2018 is awesome!!
bungie4, Tyler, Steel_Gin and 1 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Tyler »

MGP, did you submit this one? I don't see it on the calendar images page and I really think it should be... because, well, Pops. 8-)
extrememarine wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:35 pm Indeed...

deang wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:56 pm This month's pic for 2018 is awesome!!