Harbor Freight tire changer & balancer

The Technical Library sub forum will contain how-to and reference articles for all generations of the FJR1300.
Forum rules
13.B - For tech library threads, same approach as the merchandise threads – all posts will be related to the tech library topic – questions about the topic, posts adding to the topic from a technical perspective, etc. Any posts outside of those will be deleted by forum moderators or admins.
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Harbor Freight tire changer & balancer

Post by John d »

Okay, it's redneck engineering. Oiled wheels bearings on 2x4 stand clamped to changer. Works great.

BTW, this was the first tire I had that needed no weights.
philharmonic, BruinFJRguy, Cav47 and 2 others loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Re: Harbor Freight tire changer & balancer

Post by bungie4 »

Git'r done.
wheatonFJR loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
LeeDavis
Veteran
FJRModel: 15 FJ-09

Post by LeeDavis »

Replace the clamp with duck tape and you're there.
blind squirrel loved this
spklbuk
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2012 Super Tenere

Post by spklbuk »

John d wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:01 am BTW, this was the first tire I had that needed no weights.
Ain't that a beatch?

Nicely executed engineering.
John d loved this
Montani Semper Liberi

Dog hair is a fashion statement and a condiment.
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

Necessity is mother.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

My concern would only be the stiction of those bearings.
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
John d
Veteran

Post by John d »

bigjohnsd wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:36 pm My concern would only be the stiction of those bearings.
No stiction to speak of. You can spin that wheel on the extra set of oiled wheel bearings, come back 5 minutes later and need to stop the wheel with your hand. Those wheel bearings have the grease removed and are nicely oiled up. The wheel really doesn't really want to stop spinning, you need to use your hands to slow it down or wait forever for it to stop.

If however the extra set of wheel bearings had grease in them, there would be some minor stiction as you suggest.
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Re: RE: Re: Harbor Freight tire changer & balancer

Post by silverback »

bigjohnsd wrote:My concern would only be the stiction of those bearings.
They usually don't have enough to cause issues. If they do, you need new bearings. Its not uncommon for my wheel to turn in the bearings as opposed to the shaft moving when balancing.

But, if you're really worried about it, take that balancing rod and chuck it up in a drill press and break out the Mother's. Give it a mirror finish. Then you'll be able to balance it down to a gnat's ass. It does make a measurable difference. Worth it? No. But still...
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
philharmonic
FJRModel: 07 FJR1300

Post by philharmonic »

Hmmm I do this without the oiled bearings, just using the wheel bearing in the wheel. Haven't had a noticeably out of balance wheel, always put it on the center stand and take it up to 110 mph or so to make sure.

Still, I will see if I can find a cheap set of used bearing because this is def. a better, more accurate way.

Thanks.
I have met the enemy, and it is me.
John d
Veteran

Post by John d »

philharmonic wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:05 am Hmmm I do this without the oiled bearings, just using the wheel bearing in the wheel. Haven't had a noticeably out of balance wheel, always put it on the center stand and take it up to 110 mph or so to make sure.

Still, I will see if I can find a cheap set of used bearing because this is def. a better, more accurate way.

Thanks.
If you buy new bearings, then you always have a spare set on hand. New bearings are relatively inexpensive when bought at any local bearing supply shop.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I sure wish I would have bought one of those tire changers when H/F was selling them. Every once in a while, you find them on flea-bay, but the shipping makes it cost prohibitive.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

In a parallel universe, FJReady makes a balancer someplace between John's and a Marc Parnes setup. Russ uses low friction skateboard bearings with his balancer. Give the tire a small spin and you will think that you have invented a perpetual motion machine. Russ uses cones to center the wheel on the center rod and uses a spring which rests between the centering cones and clamping collar to put pressure on the cones to keep the wheel centered. His setup comes with "V" blocks for the center rod to rest on. I'm happy with the balancer and it's nice that fellow NERD and friend FJReady is close enough to stop by and pick it up in person.

Release the wheel and it will quickly rotate the heavy spot to the bottom. Rotate the wheel 90° and release it and the wheel will return the heavy spot to the exact same bottom position showing that the results are consistent and exact.

bigjohnsd, HotRodZilla, and wheatonFJR loved this
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by bigjohnsd »

ionbeam wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:23 pm In a parallel universe, FJReady makes a balancer someplace between John's and a Marc Parnes setup. Russ uses low friction skateboard bearings with his balancer. Give the tire a small spin and you will think that you have invented a perpetual motion machine. Russ uses cones to center the wheel on the center rod and uses a spring which rests between the centering cones and clamping collar to put pressure on the cones to keep the wheel centered. His setup comes with "V" blocks for the center rod to rest on. I'm happy with the balancer and it's nice that fellow NERD and friend FJReady is close enough to stop by and pick it up in person.

Release the wheel and it will quickly rotate the heavy spot to the bottom. Rotate the wheel 90° and release it and the wheel will return the heavy spot to the exact same bottom position showing that the results are consistent and exact.

I gots one of these and we balance 6 sets of tires over the BH Roundup II week. It works great. You need one. JSNS
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by bigjohnsd »

Hppants wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:08 am I sure wish I would have bought one of those tire changers when H/F was selling them. Every once in a while, you find them on flea-bay, but the shipping makes it cost prohibitive.
https://m.harborfreight.com/motorcycle- ... 60810.html

https://m.harborfreight.com/catalogsear ... re+changer
wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Got me one of those FJReady things too.... best one out there IMHO. Ease of use, love that spring loaded thingy.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

raYzerman wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:55 pm Got me one of those FJReady things too.... best one out there IMHO. Ease of use, love that spring loaded thingy.
Yup. Works the treat.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
John d
Veteran

Post by John d »

ionbeam wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:23 pm In a parallel universe, FJReady makes a balancer someplace between John's and a Marc Parnes setup. Russ uses low friction skateboard bearings with his balancer. Give the tire a small spin and you will think that you have invented a perpetual motion machine. Russ uses cones to center the wheel on the center rod and uses a spring which rests between the centering cones and clamping collar to put pressure on the cones to keep the wheel centered. His setup comes with "V" blocks for the center rod to rest on. I'm happy with the balancer and it's nice that fellow NERD and friend FJReady is close enough to stop by and pick it up in person.

This is probably the cats ass if you working on different makes and models, and I know Russ made some awesome stuff like the zerk fitted rear suspension link I'm still riding on.
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

That's the one I use, and I've never had a tire out of balance. One of my favorite tools!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Somehow I don't think that is the same H/F model that they used to have. A lot looks different, including the price. IIRC, the tire machine of choice used to be $200.00. I'm gonna research it.

Would need to get No-mar leverage bar too.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hppants wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 am Somehow I don't think that is the same H/F model that they used to have. A lot looks different, including the price. IIRC, the tire machine of choice used to be $200.00. I'm gonna research it.

Would need to get No-mar leverage bar too.
If yer gonna invest in a tire changer anyway that you are going to use for years...why not get the lowest priced nomar?

Best tool for the job...you won't regret it. Smitty approved.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey