Mr. and Mrs. Pants' New England Adventure Summer 2024

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Pants' New England Adventure Summer 2024

Post by Hppants »

September 12, 2024

Hurricane Francine made landfall last night, well East of my house and most of my family. I checked in with the others and, while some have no power, their homes were spared and they are safe and provisioned. Ok - I can let this one go now.

The forecast is warm today, this afternoon we are told it will get to 75. I can't believe I wrote that about September 12. At home, they are lucky if the OVERNIGHT low is 75 now. What a blessing to be here. Since it will be warm, Tammy and I decide to take a paddle. We pack up late morning and head out to our spot.

No wind this morning on Perch Pond.

It's starting to happen here too!

We are being extremely quiet with our paddling, trying to make as little noise as possible, while we listen to the sounds of nature.

We get to the picnic spot on the other end of the pond and pull out. I found what I later learned was a huge pile of Moose scat on the shore, so we opted to eat a bit inland. Tammy bought this SnackleBox for her lunch.

I picked at her leftovers while I finished my beer - not bad!

I mean... if you don't like this, then what do you like?

This is the 3rd time we've paddled here. Each time we are hearing Loons making their unmistakable call. FWIW - Lake Squam is very near here and was the filming location for the movie On Golden Pond. If you ask me, being alone on Perch Pond beats the Golden Pond by a mile.

On this trip, we finally got to meet the Loons. It would appear that it's a family, a mature pair with one adolescent. We found them hunting for their lunch in the middle of the pond.

As amateur birders, we've never seen this species before. This was a real treat for us.

When we leave next month, we are really gonna miss this place.

Mid-afternoon, we pull out and drive the short distance to Plymouth to take care of some errands. This is Cherry Moose Tracks - the I/C store in Plymouth is EXTREMELY generous with their scoops. I don't think I could eat a double scoop.

Stay thirsty, my friends...

Last edited by Hppants on Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
bungie4, LKLD, Dan Cooper and 5 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Programming Note: In my post above, the second image of the bird does not come out. It's depicted by this link and as you can see - it works on THIS reply. But for some reason, it doesn't appear in my post above. WTF, over?

wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Well, no big pile of moose scat photo...

Lol.

Awesome reports...thanks for the extra work.
Cav47 loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

I betcha Joey could devour a double scoop. He us just being modest! 😁
bigjohnsd, Cav47, and Hppants loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

fontanaman wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:35 pm I betcha Joey could devour a double scoop. He us just being modest! 😁
Have no doubt, witnessed it plenty of times. Part of the strategy is that he gets a double scoop, eats half, says he forgot to get a pic and then photos the “single”.

How do I know this, I have also employed this tactic quite successfully.
bigjohnsd, fontanaman, BkerChuck and 3 others loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

September 13, 2024

Today is (was) Tammy's birthday. My girl looks pretty damm good for 35! (zip it!!!)

One of Tammy's favorite cities is Salem, MA. We've been there twice before. She loves holloween and all that spooky stuff. When we were choosing a place in New England to spend the summer, being within driving distance of Salem was a priority for Tammy. It's only 2 hours away from where we are staying.

After you've been married long enough, birthdays (and all holidays FTM) kind of take on a new meaning, especially with respect to gifts. I still enjoy giving my wife something that I know she wants, but honestly, that happens more rarely now. Months ago, I asked her what she wanted for her birthday. "Take me to Salem for the day." Perfect.

Tammy loves walking down Essex Street browsing all of the spooky shops.

I like looking at the early American archetecture. The city has really embraced keeping these old homes maintained.

The bay windows on this one are stunningly beautiful.

These buildings were built at a time when workmanship and craftsmanship meant something. When design was as much an art as it was a function.

We went (again) to the Salem Witch Museum.

There are 2 parts to the visit. In the first part, the story of the Witch Trials is told in an arena among wax figures. Then your are guided through a historical representation of witchcraft in our world. I like their perspective on how something as far fetched as witchcraft can be interwoven into even our modern lives.

Tammy's having a lot of fun today and while this is certainly not my thing, I'm thoroughly enjoying watching her enjoy it.

This place is thought to be haunted. "Visiting a Haunted House" was one of the things on Tammy's "New England to do List". Check.

We went here for a late lunch (or early dinner if you prefer)

200 years ago, this was a prominent lecture hall that was host to some pretty influential speakers, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Frederick Douglass, Daniel Webster, John Quincy Adams, Henry Ward Beecher, Horace Mann, and Henry David Thorea to name a few.

Cheers to full speed ahead, babe. Together.

We've eaten here before. To my pleasant surprise, the food here is very good.

We made the drive back to the ABB right at dark. It was a nice day.

Stay thirsty, my friends....
N4HHE, danh600, Cav47 and 10 others loved this

BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Salem, MA is on my list of places I'd like to visit. You likely just moved it up a few spots for me......
Hppants loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

Joey - since Tammy likes the haunted / spooky things, have you guys been to Savannah? We took a haunted pub crawl in Savannah several years ago and really enjoyed it.

More info here.
Hppants and El Toro Joe loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

BikerGeek wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:02 pm Joey - since Tammy likes the haunted / spooky things, have you guys been to Savannah? We took a haunted pub crawl in Savannah several years ago and really enjoyed it.

More info here.
Oh yeah - more than once. Savannah is a really good "spooky town", but we think Charleston, SC is better. Same principle - lots of "old south" history, which makes for good folklore. To us, Charleston has a lot more to do. It's a really good couples destination, just not in the middle of summer.
wheatonFJR loved this

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

September 14, 2024

Today is Saturday, but to my utter amazement, this gorgeous dry (and cool) weather will simply not relent. So after coffee, I decide that Bush Piggie it will be!

Thus far, I haven't explored the gravel on the west side of Interstate 93. The Flatlander route certainly goes that way, so I punch it up and start wandering. I run up to the top of Stinson Mountain and then stop at a trailhead to look at the route closer. I quickly learn from my knowledge of the general area that this section of the Flatlander is mostly pavement. So I come down off the mountain, and in the village of Rumney, I start free styling it.

Now - this is more like it.

The map calls this "Bog Pond" - the name seem apt. This might be a good place to paddle, but for now, I'll just call it lunch.

I wander all around the area, trying every gravel or dirt road just to see. I think I'll suggest a route change to the ADV Rider peeps on the Flatlander. This stuff could easily be incorporated into the route, avoiding a lot of pavement and even a small city.

I got back to the ABB early afternoon (no ice cream - BOO!!). Tammy and I went to the grocery to get a few supplies. Tomorrow, we are having company!

Stay thirsty, my friends....
Full House, wheatonFJR, N4HHE and 3 others loved this