Mr. and Mrs. Pants' New England Adventure Summer 2024

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Pants' New England Adventure Summer 2024

Post by gixxerjasen »

Mount Washington isn't so bad if you have good weather. Getting caught up there in cold and rain sucks though. Been there done that. Also been up there above the tree line when the lightning started rolling in. No fun hauling butt for the tree line to get out of there in time. But on good days, it's a great climb, did it a bunch of times as a kid.

Cardigan I remember the top being iced over. We made it to the top and then slid our way down. Lots of fun except for my dad who hurt himself on the way sliding down.
wheatonFJR loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Pants, thanks to you, I just bought a new set of hiking boots.
Hppants, gixxerjasen, and wheatonFJR loved this
blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

Hppants wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 5:40 pm
blind squirrel wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:56 pm
Hppants wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:15 am As expected, it's crowded. A lot of people are hiking today and quite frankly, some of them are idiots. They are yelling and laughing loudly and I can see that for others trying to enjoy the tranquility of a mountain walk, the idiots are killing their buzz. Back when I was working, and I'd take a day to go play, I was one of those people trying to enjoy the peacefulness. Listening to the jerks, in my memory, I probably would have mouthed off on one or more of them.
Shame on the "idiots" for having a good time! I must say that it's uncharastic of you to snap judge them just because they are not conforming to your view of what hiking should be.
I don’t see it that way. If I’m looking for a peaceful walk in the woods, not an unreasonable idea in my opinion, no matter what I do, if other don’t STFU at some point, it ain’t gonna happen. Now - I’m not splitting hairs here - some of those idiots were literally screaming at each other. I could hear them from a LONG distance away.

Regardless, as I wrote, I bit my tongue and said nothing. It’s labor day and I respect the fact that it’s their mountain as much as it is mine.

But they are still a bunch of disrespectful, inconsiderate, clueless idiots.
The point I was trying to put across is that it is uncharastic of you to hold such a narrow view of others and place what most consider to be a rather harsh label on them. You typically have a much more tolerant, broader mindset. That is one of the qualities that I admire about you. Your ability to see more than just your side of an issue. That being said, you do you Boo Boo.

Hppants loved this
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

September 3, 2024

Well, they've all gone home now. It's been a nice long weekend, but the real world waits for no one and back to the real world they must go. Today, I've got twisties on my mind. I'm picturing that since they are all back at their workplace, the roadways should be pretty quiet for a good moto ride. And so, I checked the map for a route and off I go:

The route:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6NxXsMmCuso8wHTJA

Not many pictures on this jaunt. The riding was too good to stop. The weather was sunny, breezy, and about 65 degrees - just about perfect. I stopped at Lake Winnie to stretch my legs.

This vintage car shop (closed today) caught my eye, so I turned around and stopped. Old school meets new school.

Hwy 109 is a good road the runs generally on the east side of the Lakes Region. Everything is so quiet today and I'm having a great time on this ride. About lunch time, I stopped on the shore of Lake Wentworth for lunch.

In Wakefield, I turned north on Hwy 153, which is an excellent motorcycle road. Very smooth brand new pavement with twists and turns abound. I had a good time riding that road and rode it straight through to Eaton, where I planned to stop for ice cream. No dice - my go to place there was closed.

Not wanting to get anywhere near Conway, which is a perpetual traffic jam, I turned onto Brownfield Road. This is a surface road that I found wandering on the Bush Pig. It runs into Maine and is quite good. I checked the GPS and saw that Brownfield, ME is a small town that has 3 State highways runing through it. Surely THIS place has ice cream, so detour I go.

I get to the intersection of the 3 highways and there is only one gas station. That makes the decision easy, so I turn into the parking lot and slowly taxi toward the store. To my left, I see an old gentleman walking gingerly toward the front door of the store. He is hobbling along, holding onto the hood of his pickup truck with one hand. I nod to him as I slow to a stop right near the front door of the store. I turn the bike off, dismount, and as I turn toward the front door, I witness the old man fall flat on his side right in front of me.

Without removing my helmet, I go right to him and grab his hand. I held his hand firmly, lifted my helmet, and said:

(Pants) "Look at me in my eye, sir. I've got you. I'm not going to let you go. Now just breathe for a second before we get you up. Do you understand me?"

He nodded affirmatively. A couple of seconds passes.

(Pants) "OK, my friend. Let's get you upright. Hold my other hand."

I picked him up - he couldn't have been more than 150 pounds 'cause he popped right up with no effort.

(Pants) "Now don't let go of me. How's your footing? Are you dizzy?"

(Old Man) "My head is spinning a bit".

(Pants) "OK - just stand here for a second. I'm not letting you go."

After a few more seconds, we walked VERY slowly to a bench near the front door.

(Pants) "Ok, let's sit down a minute."

I took my eyes off him and then I noticed that the whole time, 2 people were just standing there watching us. I didn't even know they were there. It was kind of odd. They split up and went into the store.

I took my helmet and gloves off and sat next to him on the bench. I then noticed that he was wearing a ball cap that said "United States Marines".

(Pants) "My name is Joey - what's yours?"

I have to be honest, he told me his name, but I forgot it. I sure wish I remembered his name.

(O/M) "I was watching you on your motorcycle and all of a sudden I lost my footing."

We talked a bit about things. He's originally from Massechusetts and said he went to New Orleans once and liked the food. He likes the FJR and said he once had a bike a long time ago. I noticed that when he talked, he was looking down and away - kind of giving off signals that something was not right.

(Pants) "You don't look well, sir. Is everything OK?"

(O/M) "Yeah I'm fine. Just worried - my daughter wants me to move to a home. I don't want to go. I'm just so ashamed that I keep falling for no reason....."

I interupted him promptly.

(Pants) "Now you listen to me. That hat you are wearing means something to me. You deserve EVERYTHING. I know your daughter loves you and I hope you get whatever care you need."

Now I turned my head and I didn't realize it, but the store clerk came outside and was standing there. She didn't want to interupt me, I gather.

(Clerk) "Mr. ______, I called your daughter. She is coming over right now to bring you home. She will be here in a few minutes."

(Pants) "Well, how about an ice cream?"

He declined an ice cream. So I walked into the store and grabbed one for me.

(Clerk) "Your money is no good here, sir. Thank you for helping Mr. _______."

Well now how do!! The only thing better than ice cream is FREE ice cream!!

I sat with the old man while I ate my ice cream. Sure enough, his daughter showed up and took him away. I felt sorry for the guy, but at least he has his family to help.

After ice cream, I rode Hurricane Mtn Road, Bear Notch Road, the Kanc, Hwy 118 to Warren, and then took Hwy 25 to Plymouth - all very familiar and very good moto-roads. Stopped in Plymouth to buy my wife some flowers and then tucked them inside my partially unzipped jacket. With the windscreen all the way up, running 50-ish MPH, they made it back just fine.

About 250 miles for the day - an excellent riding day in my playground!

Stay thirsty, my friends....
Niehart, bigjohnsd, CraigRegs and 14 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

I notice you have a gremlin in your lunch pack which keeps taking a bite out of your sandwich!
bigjohnsd, Cav47, and Hppants loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

September 4, 2024

Today, Tammy and I are going to Franconia Notch State Park. This is an incredible place nussled in the middle of the White Mountains, about 40 minutes from our ABB. The weather is absolutely gorgeous and it's gonna be a good day.

You have to pay ($18 per person) to walk the Flume Gorge trail, and make reservations online. They only allow a set number of people onto the trail at one time. We got to the visitor's center 30 minutes early.

I'm telling ya'll - it's happening!

This walk is very well maintained. Gravel path with good footing, extensive handrails and wooden walkways throughout. I can see how a State park would charge admission for this.

It's a beautiful morning for a walk.

We get to the flume and it's spectacular.

I purposely waited for this hike to go with Tammy and I'm glad I did.

We have it basically to ourselves on this Wednesday morning.

We climb out of the gorge and continue on the trail.

This covered bridge was made out of one virgin Pine tree that used to stand near here.

What a day!!

The trail loops back to the visitors center and we poked around. This is a Concord Coach, made in Concord, NH. It's design was most poplular as a passenger stagecoach. Specifically, leather braces allowed the entire cabin to suspend in all directions as the coach went over bumps in the path.

Tammy always loves the "characters" wherever we go.

We had a picnic lunch outside the visitor's center. Tammy went wandering around the area (read... gift shop!) and I took the bicycle on the Park's bike path.

The 8-ish mile (each way) out and back path is entirely paved with excellent bridges, signage, paths, etc. Really first class. This is the ONLY time so far that I wished I had my road bicycle. None the less, I am making due quite nicely.

It's generally a gradual uphill all the way to the other side of the park. I'm just chugging along enjoying the view.

There's a lake at the other end of the park. Originally, we intended to bring our kayaks for a paddle, but that would have been a bit much in one day. We'll save that for another time.

I get to the other end, turn around, and then ride back. Now going generally downhill, I'm grabbing gears and I may or may not have exceeded the 20 mph speed limit once or twice.

I get back to the visitor's center to find Tammy reading a book and enjoying her own peace. Here's another fun fact - they have ice cream! Black Raspberry for Pants (Moose Tracks for Tammy)

We drove the truck one exit over to an area they call The Basin. I came here before on my FJR, and wanted to show Tammy. The poet Thoreau visited here often and was inspired by this place. I can certainly see why.

We drove to the grocery in Plymouth OTW home and grabbed a couple of Mudbugs, sized XXXL. I boiled those puppies up for dinner. Tammy loves lobsta.

Tomorrow's another day!

danh600, Niehart, CraigRegs and 8 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Awesome!

If you liked the Flume, you will definitely like the walk thru the gorge in Watkins Glen SP.
Full House loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Full House
FJRModel: 2010

Post by Full House »

Ausable Chasm is interesting as well.
Hppants loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:25 am Awesome!

If you liked the Flume, you will definitely like the walk thru the gorge in Watkins Glen SP.
We brought the kids there last fall. I did comment to Tammy while we were walking that it reminded me of WGSP.
bigjohnsd and wheatonFJR loved this

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

15 characters (counting spaces) in Black Raspberry
12 characters (counting spaces) in Moose Tracks

Mrs. Pants seems to be getting lazy in her ice cream selection.

Looks like a great place to spend a great day.
Hppants loved this
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

September 6, 2024

Bush Piggie today - I left the ABB bundled up and wishing I had just one more layer, but I've got no where to store it, so I just slowed a bit coming down off the mountain. By the time I started running back up on the dirt road, I was standing and shifting and working a bit, so I warmed up OK.

I went back to that "road" I wrote about during my last DR ride to explore it some more. Things kind of picked up where I left off - nice and quiet.

I found this pond in the middle of no where and decided to just stop and have lunch here.

After lunch, at one point, a dropped the Bush Piggie at no speed trying to negociate a small semi-dry ditch. As the bike fell, I just put a foot down and stood up. No harm, no foul - I picked her back up and continued through the woods, coming out somewhere near the Great Hill road. I then zipped over the Chorcorua Lake road, one of my favorites in the region.

I crossed Hwy 16 and just kept wandering, looking for new roads to try.

At one point, I stumbled upon a "road". It was shown as such on the GPS, and there was a sign that stated "Class VI Road". I decided to give it a try.

Bacially, these are unmaintained 2-track roads. It's been very dry lately, so these were a hoot to ride on.

Wanna know the difference between the north and the south. At home, they leave old 3 and 4-wheelers in the yard. Here - snowmobiles!

I rode a few of those Class VI roads just wandering here and there. Then I found something on the GPS called "Lead Mine Road". Well - my curiosity could not contain me on that.

Sure enough - lead (and other minerals) was mined here.

I walked down the short trail to find some of the old mine ruins.

I get down to the lake and not surprisingly, there are numerous signs everywhere stating that this area is contaminated with lead. Still looks quite peaceful.

BTW - Lead Mine Road is damm fine for riding too!

I used some twisty pavement to cut the triangle heading in the direction of home. This is the community of Tamworth, NH and it is very quaint.

Soon thereafter, I get back on the familiar gravel and move deliberately to my next stop.

Papa Beans' Strawberry is a good go-to flavor.

Home late afternoon after about 100 miles and countless smiles.

Stay thirsty, my friends.....
fontanaman, bigjohnsd, senecahome and 7 others loved this

LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Wow, Joey, looks like y’all are having the time of your lives up there, good for you both. I’m loving the area you’re in, with its natural beauty, and what appears to be a sparse population. Exactly what we are hoping to find, just a bit further south though.

I did notice that the visitor center was tipped about your impending arrival, hence the moved Ursus Americanus to an elevated position. I’m thinking Tammy is your snitch. :lol: :roll:

Great trip, thanks for sharing it, and looking forward to the rest!
BkerChuck, Cav47, senecahome and 5 others loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

September 7, 2024

It rained last night unexpectedly. Well, not exactly unexpectedly - there was a 10% chance. The mountains here are just high enough to expect the unexpected. If the air rising over the mountain tops is the right temperature compared to the air at the mountain tops, and the ensuing cloud is heavy enough, then it will dump. For the most part though, we haven't seen what we would call heavy rains yet since we are here.

Regardless, it's sunny and cool today, so outside it is for Pants (shocker!!). Since it's Saturday, I'll just grab the bicycle and work my way to the lesser known trails. The lady at the town pizza place is an avid MTB rider. I looked her up and she is quite accomplished - she's won many regional events here. She's invited me to ride with her numerous times, but I've made an excuse on each request. She's WAY out of my league and although I think she would purposely hold way back for me, I'm not much up for it. Maybe before we leave, I'll take her up on the offer. A few weeks ago we were talking about bicycles and she asked me if I knew about the warm up single track near our ABB. I hadn't heard about it, but ever since, I run this every time right out of the ABB.

This entire 1.7 mile run fits within a very small clump of woods right next to our ABB. It just snakes back and forth, is totally flat and it is a PERFECT way to warm up your legs before a ride.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've had to work on a couple of spots (pull branches off trail, etc) and right now, it's really good.

I run some familiar stuff in the valley and then head up on Tripoli Road toward the campground. I see the campground is at least 3/4 full as I ride past the site loop. On the back side, there is a little hidden road for the camp host and behind there is a set of trails setup for cross country skiing. I've ridden here several times and never see anyone else. There is one trail called the John Deere loop that I haven't tried, so I got there first. I kind of expected to see an old tractor or something, but I didn't. I get to the top and take a break.

Someone has ingeniously converted an old picnic table into a very sturdy and pretty cool ramp.

There's actually 2 choices. The table part is steeper and higher, and the seating bench is a bit more subdued. I walked on it and was impressed with how solid it felt. I thought about it. I REALLY wanted to give it a try. But again, now I'm 5 plus miles from anything that a vehicle could get to and I haven't seen a soul in that long. If I screw up, I'm going to be alone for a while. So I passed and moved on.

The entire trail system here is incredibly well done. Everything is built first class and they maintain it with a combination of National Forest staff and an involved local volunteer group. I found a representative from the local group some time ago and made myself available. Surprisingly, they don't have social media and I'm not sure how they spread their word. I'm disappointed that I haven't heard from them. I'd like to help at least a couple times before we leave.

I finished all of the trails in this area and head back down Tripoli Road. I've still got some gas left, so at Livermore Road, I turn left and start climbing. This is a long gradual climb that offers short stints where the grade levels off - it's a perfect "workout climb". I ran that for 4-5 miles, took a short break to put my long sleeve base layer back on. The ride down is gonna be fast and I'm sweating - don't want to get a chill. I hauled ass back down the mountain and turned toward the ABB.

It ended up a little short mileage and climb wise, but it was a good workout and certainly a fine way to piss off a few hours.

After lunch, Tammy and I drove down to Plymouth to do a little shopping. By the time I was craving ice cream, we had groceries in the back seat, so ... no ice cream. Boo!

fontanaman, BkerChuck, danh600 and 9 others loved this

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

September 8, 2024

This gorgeous weather continues - it's incredible. The other day, Tammy and I were looking at her list, itching to check some boxes. We came up with a plan for today. We get into the truck about 8:30 am, and I can't believe I'm writing this, we turned on the seat heaters!!! Talk about foreign!

We stopped in Lebanon, NH for a late breakfast at Lucky's Coffee Garage, an old service station converted to a restaurant. They bake their own pastries and bread. This is a blueberry bread with a lot of words in the description - an automatic given with Tammy.

The breakfast sandwich was delicious.

From Lebanon, it was a 10-minute drive to Plainfield, NH, a little farm community close to the VT border. Today, we will visit Riverview Farm.

Tammy knows that this is my jam. Whenever I travel somewhere, I want to see the history, the culture, and meet the people. But what I want more than anything is to see the land. And I want to see what they grow. The fact that this checks off Tammy's list is icing on the cake.

Our first order of business is a corn maze. Perhaps I've lived a sheltered life, 'cause in my 59 years, this is a first for me.

She's a good sport about these things.

The pumpkin patch is coming along. We view this as so special - pumpkins don't grow where we live.

The whole things eludes "Fall" to us. We really don't get a Fall Season at home. The trees don't change and the weather usually goes straight from blistering to winter.

It's warming up, so while Tammy goes back to the truck to change clothes, I poked around the flower garden.

This farm has U-pick it Apples and Berries, and you can bet your arse we doing that!

We did quite a bit of "sampling" as well.

We also picked raspberries. This farm has 2 varieties - I didn't know that "Golden Raspberries" existed. When ripe, they are more pink in color.

Divide and conquer - Tammy picked the Goldens and I went to the Reds.

Jackpot!

So... I had raspberries for lunch - LOL! For every 5 that I picked, I'm quite certain that I ate 1 (bad Pants).

The farm prices were certainly reasonable and after we checked out, we left and drove 1 mile up the road to a sugar house.

Again, it's not maple season, so only the gift shop was open. They have ice cream, but it's only soft serve and honestly, I was still full from raspberries. Tammy bought a novelty or two and we drove home.

So we checked off 3 items on Tammy's list:

- corn maze
- pumpkin patch
- pick raspberries

We're whittling it down, one day at a time, having a blast along the way.

Niehart, bigjohnsd, senecahome and 8 others loved this

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Thank goodness it's Tammy, because if it were Joey and the Bear, we'd need an NSFW warning on this thread.
Hppants wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:20 am Image
BikerGeek, bigjohnsd, Hppants and 2 others loved this

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:29 pm Thank goodness it's Tammy, because if it were Joey and the Bear, we'd need an NSFW warning on this thread.
Hppants wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:20 am Image
She wanted to take that picture to send to the kids. As I was framing the picture, I thought "the guys are gonna have a field day with this one!".
wheatonFJR, El Toro Joe, and gixxerjasen loved this

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

September 9, 2024

Well, it was inevitable. We are midway through our 3rd summer doing this, and quite frankly I'm surprised it took this long. There's a tropical storm in the gulf and it's heading straight for our house.

We planned as best we could for this. I boarded up the back yard windows (which are not visible from any direction so as to make the house look unoccupied). I stacked up all of the other window boards in the garage with the fasteners. They are all marked and I even made a stool to hold them in place at the right height so that one person can screw them in without help. My generator is also ready to go, topped off with fuel, with extra fuel in gas cans nearby. Before we left, I talked with my neighbor, who is an incredible man on so many levels, and he assured me not to worry - he would take care of our house while we were gone. Otherwise, I've got insurance - so we left and didn't look back.

I still use the hurricane planning software I used in my career, and I have a LOT of experience with this. I spent the morning talking with family back home - this storm is different in the fact that they've only got 2 days to make decisions and get ready. Some of my family with ambulatory elderly peeps decided to evacuate - very wise in my opinion. Others stayed for their own reasons. This one is only predicted to be a Cat 1. Things can and often change, but even at a Cat 2, single family homes are not normally in danger of structurally failing.

It's been a long while since I've felt this helpless. Those that know me know that I am most assuredly not... helpless. I'm not afraid to do something, and I'm afraid to do the wrong thing and try again. But I'm 2,000 miles away and quite frankly, there's not much I can do. This is a very small consolation for our opportunities to travel, but none the less, I've not choice but to suck it up, buttercup.

The weather here is gorgeous, so I decided to just take a bike ride in the nearby woods. I figured it would give me a chance to use up some pent up energy manifested via anxiety. And I've got good cell signal here, so if anyone wants to call me and talk about plans, I'm available.

I warm up on my single track and then start moseying toward the mountain. It's been dry, the Mad River is barely flowing.

I've been watching cloesly that small Sugar Maple tree on the left bank in the picture, depicted just over my bicycle seat. Every day, it's changing a little. The maples start turning from top to bottom - I didn't realize this. The tips of their leaves get red before the rest of the leaf. Studying this daily offers me clues to the mystery. It's very enjoyable.

Soon enough, I found the mountain and started climbing on Greeley Pond. This is a terrific workout trail - it starts out very gradual and you get to see - 200 yards in advance, when the shit starts getting real. A lot of riders like to use momentum to their advantage. They haul ass on the easy stuff and hope that their forward speed will carry them up. The mountains here will humble your ass very quickly. Your legs are already burning and then your momentum fails you and you get knocked on your ass. Nope - the way to do these grades is slow and steady. Find the gear that matches your cadence and settle in. I'm getting better at it.

I climb three grades and then decide I've had enough. Instead of my usual haul ass down hill, I broke off on the Snows trail to take it slower and longer going down.

This is a single track that has a little bit of everything: roots, rocks, soft mud, gravel bed - everything. You can't get in a hurry cause it changes to rocks or roots quickly and if you are not careful, your nose will be dragging ground. So I just kind of ride the brakes down standing up and practice on slow speed skills.

Eventually, I pop out of the mountain at the edge of the neighborhood. This is a special place, man.

I get back, take a shower, and check in with the peeps. They are all making plans and I'm trying to temper my need for information and my desire to be helpful with their need to not waste valuable time blabbering with me. So far so good all around. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Cav47, Niehart, Full House and 7 others loved this

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

September 10, 2024

The forecast at home continues to improve. They have shifted the anticipated landfall about 25 miles to the East and that is significant. Communities that are on the West side of the storm get FAR less weather than those to the East. I'm encouraged, but vigilant. I called my Dad - they have decided to stay home. Our daughter has as well. They are well provisioned and ready, but I still feel the insatiable desire to "be available". So again, today, I'll stay relatively close and within cell signal.

I packed a sandwich and rode the bicycle just out of town to take a hike.

This is a popular walk. I always see vehicles in the trail head parking lot - on weekiends. But today is Tuesday, and it's super quiet.

As I get closer to the top, like all of the mountains here, it starts getting much more steep and rocky.

The trail is not marked, but it's beaten down more than good enough for me to find my way. I get to the granite cap of Jennings peak and what a view!

I sat down, ate my lunch, and then just fell into a thoughtless trance, staring into the view and just being in the moment. All of a sudden, without any warning, a black dog came and sat down right next to me and started staring at the view as well. I put my arm around it and scratched his head. Then 2 other dogs appeared with a lady. She's a dog sitter and decided to take the pack for a walk. We talked a while and then walked together off the peak.

Soon thereafter, she broke right to go down the way I came up, and I stayed left heading to Noon Peak.

Those two "stripes" of exposed granite are what they call the South Slide of Mt Trypyramid. My son, his dog, and I climbed this (the "left stripe") a few weeks ago.

I'm learning to identify the mountains here, and even points of interest within them. This is Avalanche Brook on Mt. Tecumseh. This cascading brook is LOADED with waterfalls to sit by and soak your feet.

The dog walker chose to walk the loop counterclockwise and now I realize why. My path downhill is MUCH steeper than the climb was. The downhill is harder on my legs. If I walk this one again, I'll do it the other way. None the less, I get back to the bicycle no worse for the wear. The ride back to the ABB (uphill) was quite slow as I was fatigued.

I checked in with the home front and now the confidence in the forecast is growing. The storm will hit Louisiana tomorrow, likely East of our home. I don't wish catastrophe on anyone, but selfishly, I'm relieved.

bungie4, Niehart, fontanaman and 7 others loved this

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Hoping for the best to all the folks in Louisiana.

Thanks for post Pants. You are showing the way!
N4HHE loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

September 11, 2024

That hike yesterday wore me out and I slept like a rock. I check the NHC forecast and my home Parish is now outside of the Cone of Uncertainty. Francine has strengthened to a Cat 2 storm, but this evening, it's going to be an issue for my friends to the east. I hope they are ready. I sent a couple of texts to the family and I could read the relief in their replies. Also relieved, I decided not to waste this stupendous New England weather and hit the road.

Today, I'm going to explore the roads to my north. Everyone raves about "the Kanc", hwy 112 between Lincoln and Conway. But Hwy 112 east of Lincoln is pretty good too.

I get to Hwy 302 (another popular NH road), and take a right (north). As previously mentioned, there are these brown signs to indicate where a covered bridge is, and I've trained myself to look out for them. This is the Bath Covered bridge, originally named for it's location in the town of Bath, NH over the Ammonoosuc River.

At almost 200 years old (circa 1832), at 390 feet across, I believe this is the longest spanning Covered Bridge I have ever seen. This bridge uses arch bows with two different Radii to provide additional support. Look closely at this picture to see the larger radius over arching a smaller one.

I suppose nails and metal bracketry were just too expensive back then.

I turn East on Hwy 117 and in the town of Sugar Hill, I can see the west side of the Franconia Notch range, looking just as stunning as the east.

In the town of Franconia, I turn north onto Hwy 142. I haven't heard anyone talk about this road, but let me tell ya, it's really good. I find a State Park and stop for lunch.

Hwy 142 to the north ends at the Connecticutt River, and that is where I turned my GPS route off.

It is absolutely stunning. Clearly one of the prettiest rivers have ever seen. At that point, I decided to just run up one side of the river, cross into Vermont, and run back the other side just to enjoy the views.

I get to the Mount Orne Covered bridge and stop next to a couple of other riders. One of them sees my license plate along with the color combination of my jacket and pants, and as soon as I remove my helmet, he shouts to me:

"Those look like UL colors."

(University of Louisiana Lafayette)

I was quite surprised to hear that and remember thinking that he MUST mean some other reference to "UL", but drawing a blank.

(Rider) "My wife worked for the Ragun Cajuns."

(Pants) "What's your wife's name?"

(Rider) "Stacey _______"

(Pants) "I'm retired from UL. I know your wife very well."

What a small world! I suppose when you live your life like no one is a stranger, these things happen to you. We introduced ourselves and talked for a bit. They were OTW to Canada for a couple days.

(Wayne) "Have you ever been on Vermont 102?"

(Pants) "nope"

(Wayne) "It's just right there. Wanna ride with us a while?"

(Pants) "I thought you'd never ask."

And so, new friends made, off we go!

VT 102 is wonderful, winding along the CT River Valley. They are good riders and I enjoyed following them. We run about 25 miles north (within 10-ish miles of the Canadian border, and I passed them to signal that I'm turning around. They stopped and we exchanged pleasantries and phone numbers. We will be getting together to ride again before I leave to go home. But I don't have my passport with me, and it's getting later in the afternoon anyway. I should be heading back.

With no better idea in mind, I just ran VT102 south back toward our meeting place, with one important stop along the way.

What another adventure laden day!

It's starting to cool off and I needed to stop and throw on another layer. Given my "detour", my planned route for the day is shot. No worries - I'll save that for another day and suffer through a quicker alternative home.

Back in Franconia, I turned right onto Hwy 116 heading south. I found this surface road on the GPS that looked pretty good for viewing, so I took a short out and back to check it out.

I was right.

From there, I rode directly to Lincoln and stopped at the grocery to buy my wife some flowers (It's Wednesday, IYKYK). No luck, so back to the ABB I went. About 250 miles for the day. Perhaps my best FJR ride in New England so far.

Stay thirsty, my friends.....
bungie4, danh600, Cav47 and 8 others loved this