Mr. and Mrs. Pants' New England Adventure Summer 2024

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition
1987 KLR 650 Thumper

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Pants' New England Adventure Summer 2024

Post by Road Runner »

You are Blessed.
Hppants, N4HHE, and 0face loved this
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Pants living large!
Hppants, Road Runner, and N4HHE loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I've seen this design (Laminated beam bent to an arch bow tied to abutments) many times before for covered bridges, but the workmanship on this bridge was stunning, especially considering the tools available 200 years ago. It's really ironic. Today we have all of the modern conveniences, equipment, materials knowledge, etc and we build crap to a price point and we get what we pay for.

A few general observations I've noticed in the first week:

1. There is no crime here. All week I've seen 2 police officers and neither of them were in any hurry to do anything.

2. New Hampshire has no sales tax on any goods (except for restaurants food).

3. The infrastructure here is in terrific shape. Roads, bridges, schools, fire stations, etc - everything is top notch and well maintained.
fontanaman, danh600, N4HHE and 5 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

July 20, 2024

We picked up our children at the Boston train station. A few weeks ago, we asked them if they wanted to do something while in Boston, and our daughter suggested a whale watching tour. Sweet!

One of the crew told us that this yacht belongs to the owner fo the Atlanta Falcons and Home Depot - $180 million!

The boat we were on was a 65 foot Catamaran. It's powered by jet drive motors to prevent the possibility of a prop striking a whale.

My boy likes the same kind of beer I do. The apple don't fall far from the tree.

We rode off shore about an hour and as soon as we got to the National Marine Sanctuary, we started seeing activity.

There are 3 types of whales in this area this tme of year, and the Humpbacks are enjoying themselves. We were treated to several breahes and thi whale was doing some flipper "slapping", whereby it rolls on its side and back and slaps it's front fins aggessively on the water. It was spectacular.

The tour is part of the New England Aquarium and the crew was first class. There were 2 marine biologist that walked the boat and approached everyone to offer information and answer questinos. We saw no less than 10 whales, and several dozen dolphins and porpoises. Since there was so much activity, they extended our tour almost a full hour to give us more opportunities to enjoy it. Highly reccomend them - City Cruises out of Boston Harbor.

Since we were a bit late getting back, we got to enjoy a beautiful sunset over the Boston skyline.

Making memories.

We had dinner at the harbor (EXPENSIVE!!!!! Holy shit!!) and then drove 2 hours back to the ABB.

What a day!

Stay thirsty, my friends....
CraigRegs, fontanaman, Cav47 and 10 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

July 21, 2024

Mom and Taylor took the truck for lunch and shopping. Joe, Meeko, and I went hiking. We walked from the ABB to the woods in the area. The other day, I found this trail called "Davis Boulders" and decided to wait and enjoy it for the first time with my son.

This entire area is laden with HUGE granite boulders.

Meeko was like a brown Billie Goat on the loose!

It always fascinates me to see what lengths a tree will go to get what it needs.

At the end of the trail is Goodrich Rock, the largest boulder in New England named after the gentlemen who cataloged all of the trails in the area. Someone erected a ladder for us to climb atop. Meeko wasn't too sure about it so Joe gave him a hand.

And to the victor goes the spoils!

We ate lunch on top the rock and then walked down off the mountain to cool off.

Meeko does not like that 60 degree water.

I picked another trail for us to walk, aptly named the Cascades Trail.

What a day!

We popped out at the top of our neighborhood.

The phone app says it was right at 9 miles and 1300 feet of climb. It's so cool to have all of this right in my backyard.

I took 2 Vitamin I's and washed it down with a New England IPA.

This old fat ass better eat his Wheaties if he's gonna keep up with his 29 year old son, but I'm hanging so far!!

CraigRegs, fontanaman, spklbuk and 13 others loved this

bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

The big rocks are "erratics". They are left behind by the glaciers. Common around these parts. But those are really biguns.
fontanaman, wheatonFJR, and Hppants loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
D.F.I.U.N.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

It's starting to happen.

We've met a few of our neighbors. We're on a first name basis with some of the local merchants. Many have lived in this region for a very long time. I'm chatting with a local at the gas station. Found a place to get my hair cut - nice local old fashioned barber shop run by a gentleman that may have learned how to cut hair in Vietnam. I'm learning about some of the history, culture, geology, traditions, etc. specific to this place. There are 508 people in this town. Like REALLY small. Everybody knows everybody and their business. The other day I met one of the neighbors:

(Pants) "Good Morning, my name is Joey"

(Bill) "Good morning, you're the Louisiana guy, eh?"

(Pants) "Yes sir"

(Bill) "Be here for 3 months, right?"

(Pants) "Yes sir, so far it's been great."

My wife is a bit more private, but I'm fine with it. People are people no matter where you go.

This is one of my favorite parts - the part you can't learn on "Vacation" 'cause there isn't enough time.
CraigRegs, fontanaman, bigjohnsd and 4 others loved this

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Ahhh, small town New England, where everyone knows all about you before you meet them. :D
bigjohnsd, wheatonFJR, and 0face loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

You might even find many just leave their keys in the ignition......... :mrgreen:
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

July 23, 2024

We loaded our kayaks in the truck, rented a couple more for the kids, and drove to Lake Winnipesaukee (aka "Lake Winnie"), the largest lake in New Hampshire. We choose an area to paddle that was close to many of the islands on the lake, thinking we might head to a close one and explore it.

Wrong.

First, nearly all of the lakeshore is privately owned. And second, ALL of the islands' lakeshore is privately owned. Even the landings/launch sites are setup such that you cannot purchase a permit to launch unless you are part of the "club". Typical tourist lake shit - the water is beautiful, but you can't get to it. After almost an hour of trying, thanks to a great tip from a local, we found a ship yard and the gentleman was nice enough to allow us to use his launch and park the truck for free.

Good things come to those who wait.

It was drizzling when we left the dock, but the water was surprisingly warm and the temperature about 69 degrees.

We weren't cold but Meeko didn't like the kayak.

After about 10 minutes, the rain stopped and it was actually quite pleasant.

The lake houses here are insanely huge. This is a rich person's playground.

Thankfully the wind and waves were calm and we paddled about 3 miles to a very small State park on the shore.

The water is crystal clear and we waded around and looked for things.

Tammy the Duck Whisperer....

Meeko sure likes the beach.

I suppose one lunchtime beer wouldn't hurt anything.

The girls were a bit tired from paddling, so they stayed with Meeko at the beach while my son and I paddled back.

Life is good.

We got the rented kayaks back to the vendor with 5 minutes to spare. On the way home, we made one stop.

Man the crawfish here are HUGE!!

I steamed a dozen clams in a wine/butter/garlic sauce for an appetizer. Then I boiled the Lobsta "Cajun crawfish style". They were delicious. I think I like the claw meat better than the tail.

A terrific day with our kids. They go home tomorrow and (thankfully), the pace is now going to slow down a bit with Tammy and I.

CraigRegs, Full House, fontanaman and 11 others loved this

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Hppants wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:14 am
Man the crawfish here are HUGE!!

LOL, love the crawfish comment, and the shirt.
FJRoss, Hppants, and LKLD loved this
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Subscribed! Great stuff pants.
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

July 26, 2024

Today, I rode the FJR about 300 miles under perfect weather. It was supposed to be about 250 miles, but I rode about 30 miles to Lincoln to fuel up, only to discover that forgot my wallet! I was about 25 miles into reserve at the time - thankfully, I keep emergency cash on the bike for just such an occasion. Regardless, with a full tank of gas, I went back to the townhouse to retrieve my wallet.

Today, I'm going to explore eastern Vermont. From Lincoln (for the 2nd time), I hoped on Hwy 118 heading generally west. Brand new blacktop and it was fantastic!

This is going to be a good day.

As I had hoped, I crossed many covered bridges on this ride.

I rode 145 horses across this one, at about 10 mph.

Before I knew it, lunch was upon me. I popped into this general store, bought a soda pop, and sat down to eat.

The Green Mountains of Vermont are a bit lower and less "peaky" than the White Mountains of New Hampshire. But they are gorgeous in their own rite.

I hop on VT 100 heading south. Beautiful

I had an opportunity to stop at a Ben and Jerry's store, but it was packed with people, so I pressed on another couple of miles to a local creamery. All they have is soft serve, which is not my preference, but I took one for the team.

What a day!

Now with 500 miles on the Dunlop RS4s, I like them and I do feel that they are a bit more compliant than the RS3s.

CraigRegs, bigjohnsd, LKLD and 6 others loved this

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

July 27, 2024

Normally, I'd prefer to take the weekends off, but the gorgeous weather persisted, so today, the Bush Pig gets the job. I rode 130 miles, about 80% of it on unpaved roads. There is SO much dirt and gravel in this area, I will never cover it all in 3 months.

I went back on the Flatlander loop and run more deliberately through what I already saw last week, itching to discover new (to me) territory. I was not disappointed:

The views from the dirt at this place are frequent and incredible.

In Easton, I stopped for lunch at the lake.

My fuel situation wasn't dire, but looking ahead at the route, I was concerned. Wihtout a phone signal, I couldn't accurately determine where I might find fuel (I've learned the hard way that Garmin isn't reliably acurate on this). So I rode 5 miles of curvy pavement to Conway for fuel. From there, I started wandering generally south heading back to the Flatlander route.

I found this little pond in the middle of the woods, hidden by a hundred yards of trees. So I walked to it's edge and sat down to be thankful for my countless blessings.

Now back on the route heading "home", I stopped at a trail head entitled "Great Hill Fire Tower". I put my walking shoes on and headed up hill to the tower. I was treated to a wonderful 360 degree view.

Now heading west, I found this place right on the gravel road. Someone on a New England FB group suggested it, and that's good enough for me.

Once again, no clerk in the store. Pick out what you want, fill out the form, leave money or QR code a phone payment, and enjoy.

Honey Berry flavor. Never had it before. Will definitely be having it again.

Made it back to the ABB with plenty of time to put the toys away and wash up before Tammy and I walked to the Town Square to listen to some music and have dinner.

I'm sure it can't get any better than this, but experience tells me that it will. I can't wait to find out!

Stay thirsty, my friends.....
CraigRegs, Full House, bigjohnsd and 13 others loved this

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

July 28, 2024

A tad bid warmer this morning, but still more than tolerable. Need to stretch my legs a bit, so today, I'll ride the bicycle. I warm up on the neighborhood trails. That mountain in the distance is going to be my target today.

That is Mt.Trypyramid one of the 5 New Hampshire "4-thousanders". It's named because it has 3 seperate peaks. Today, I will attempt to ride to the North Trypyramid summit. There are several ways to get to the top, and today, one way or the other, I'm going there!

I spurred off the Livermore Road on something called "Big Pines Trail" This is a bit much for the MTB.

But the trail is aptly named. Another day when I'm hiking, I'll try this one again.

The road starts to steepen and I drop down to my lower gears and start pedaling. It's a steady climb that offers short periods where the road flattens and gives me a break. After my second wind comes, my breathing settles and I'm having fun running along side this cascading creek/brook.

I get to south end of the hiking loop and stop for a break. My All Trails app says this way is another 6 miles and 2,500 feet of climb. I don't have enough legs or lungs for that. It's just as well because I walked across the creek to read that sign and found out that this is a "walk only" trail.

I continue on the bike path and as the trail gets steeper, the path becomes less beaten.

It finally got too steep for me to continue. I checked my altimeter and I was only at 2900 feet. Epic fail. I think next time, I'll plan to leave the MTB secured to a small tree and then hike the rest of the way.

The ride down was a hoot! I tried to temper my need for speed with occassional squeezes of the brake. I enjoyed jumping the whoops at times.

Halfway down I stopped to cool the brakes and my adreneline. This is a beautiful place, man.

I found a nice swimming hole.

Today is Sunday, and while not crowded, I am seeing some people. I'll save this one for during the week.

I rode a bit up and down a few trails in the area to enhance my workout. Then about 11:30, I bee-lined it down hill directly to our ABB. Not a bad workout.

(apparently, I forgot what day it was.... dumbass Pants)

CraigRegs, blind squirrel, 0face and 4 others loved this

0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Can we get this submitted for the Calendar?
Hppants wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:47 am Image
BikerGeek, Road Runner, and Hppants loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

0face wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:50 am Can we get this submitted for the Calendar?
Hppants wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:47 am Image
It needs a thought bubble above it...then yes.
boatanchor, 3rd class.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

How to not sell calendars. Put pictures of pants in spandex in there. My eyes are burning enough. If we see a photo of Wheatey in spandex I'll have to cancel my account to this forum.
Hppants, wheatonFJR, and bigjohnsd loved this

0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

gixxerjasen wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:58 am How to not sell calendars. Put pictures of pants in spandex in there. My eyes are burning enough. If we see a photo of Wheatey in spandex I'll have to cancel my account to this forum.
There's a much better picture of Wheatie floating around out there somewhere. Trust me, I had to have new lenses implanted after I saw it. Burned the old ones right up!

BTW... Somebody with Photoshop needs to make a blank thought bubble on that picture so we can all give Joey things to think about.
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

I bet many of us on this forum ride bicycles. Let's get a calendar going for us wearing spandex! :D

In fact I am off for a bicycle ride right now!
wheatonFJR and Hppants loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.