Trailering the FJR

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: Trailering the FJR

Post by Hppants »

The trailer weighs almost 1500
motorcycles - 1000
Bicycles - 50
Payload in the back of the truck - 500
Kayaks and truck rack - 125
payload in the back seat of the truck - 200
Tammy and me - 375 -ish (shhhhuuush)

3750 plus fuel - as previously stated, under 4K rolling.

The trailer gate has a nice bent pin to hold it.
I'll fold the mirrors on the motos - good idea.
Yes - I lowered it - that was a good idea too.

Saddle bags are now bubble wrapped.
Ends of rachet straps are zip tied.

On my afternoon test ride, I ran it up to 70 mph with no ill effects. I won't be pulling anywhere near that speed - set the cruise at 60-ish. Those kayaks are like sails as well. Brand new tires for the truck (Michelin Defender LTX) - they are rated for up to 50 psi cold, but 45 was a bit harsh. So I settled on 40 psi all around (truck and trailer). I got more than enough motor, but in my experience towing, one can never have enough brakes. If I get into trouble, that will be the root of it.

No information on my owners manual regarding "excessive transmission temperature". Does anyone have an idea of where the upper limit should be? I towed more weight and sail when I moved my son to NYC. During that trip, the trans temp got to 210 for very short periods of time. But that was in the middle of the winter. My truck has the towing package (to include external trans cooler).
Cav47 loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Cav47 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:13 pm Safe Travels.

Cases need padding.
Fold your FJR and DR mirrors in.
DId you remember to lower the FJR ride height setting?
Zip tie or otherwise secure the strap tails, maybe I can see some that will flap incessently the next 1900 miles. Check the DR bag straps, if they vibrate enough, they can wear through the FJR paint if close enough.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by towing 4K lbs, but my count would be
600FJR
500 DR
100 Bikes
600 Trailer

Possibly including all the bed cargo and kayak plus the rack???

How do you have the gate/ramp secured in the up position? Hitch pin with cotter? Possible to add security to that? Maybe not needed, but I have had a gate or two drop while rolling down the road. That is a wind sail back there. It will unload the tongue as you speed up.
Cav is actively screwing up my viral video hopes. Please don't forget to turn on the rear facing dashcam
Road Runner, Cav47, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

What is the normal temperature for GM transmission fluid?
They are happiest with fluid running between 176 to around 199 Fahrenheit. The actual temperature will fluctuate a bit depending on usage, and how tired the fluid is. If you are seeing results over 200 it could indicate a problem in the transmission or cooling system.Mar 24, 2023
AI Overview

The ideal temperature range for automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is between 175° and 225° F.
This range provides a balance between fluid viscosity and heat.
Above this range, the ATF can start to break down, which can lead to transmission failure:
Cav47, Hppants, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I guess if it creeps above 225 for long, I’ll slow down and downshift a bit.
Last edited by Hppants on Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Hppants wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:03 pm It does have a Jed Clampett "je ne sais quoi", no?

We arrive evening 7/15. The kids come 7/20 and leave 7/26. We don't leave until 10/15. Hoping for some moto-friend company along the way.
If you don't mind, where is base camp going to be (roughly). There are a handful of FJR guys near the Catskills/Adirondacks..... I was toying with the idea of zipping over there for a weekend sometime in August....
Road Runner loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

Happy trails Pants and Miss Tammy.

Pedal to the metal man, that truck ain't no porch pooch.
Hppants loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Waterville valley, NH. Looks to be right snack dab in the middle of everything, Ray.

Let’s ride!!

Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition
1987 KLR 650 Thumper

Post by Road Runner »

I'm not sure I like the eye bolts, unless the eye is welded, and thick enough not to bend. Pulling on them at that angle may bend them. Also turn the eye so it is in line with the direction you are pulling on it so the strap does not try to twist it. If it is not welded don't pull on the open side.
I would put the strap hooks inside the stake hole and hook them to that. Or take the eye bolt out and put the hooks thru that same hole. One less thing to worry about. Also a bungy between the soft tie and hooks is a good idea, so the hook don't fall out.
As mentioned, pad the side bags, or just put them on the FJR.
Also make sure your trailer has some travel left in the suspension, and not bottomed out. Don't ask how I know to check that.
I think we are all assuming the trailer tires and bearings are good.
Safe travels

I'm in Saratoga NY area, what area are you going? We'll have to try to get some riding in.
Hppants and bigjohnsd loved this
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition
1987 KLR 650 Thumper

Post by Road Runner »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:26 am
Hppants wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:03 pm It does have a Jed Clampett "je ne sais quoi", no?

We arrive evening 7/15. The kids come 7/20 and leave 7/26. We don't leave until 10/15. Hoping for some moto-friend company along the way.
If you don't mind, where is base camp going to be (roughly). There are a handful of FJR guys near the Catskills/Adirondacks..... I was toying with the idea of zipping over there for a weekend sometime in August....
Ray, Let me know when you are going to be around.
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Road Runner wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 6:58 am I'm not sure I like the eye bolts, unless the eye is welded, and thick enough not to bend. Pulling on them at that angle may bend them. Also turn the eye so it is in line with the direction you are pulling on it so the strap does not try to twist it. If it is not welded don't pull on the open side.
I would put the strap hooks inside the stake hole and hook them to that. Or take the eye bolt out and put the hooks thru that same hole. One less thing to worry about. Also a bungy between the soft tie and hooks is a good idea, so the hook don't fall out.
As mentioned, pad the side bags, or just put them on the FJR.
Also make sure your trailer has some travel left in the suspension, and not bottomed out. Don't ask how I know to check that.
I think we are all assuming the trailer tires and bearings are good.
Probably too late, but I agree with the eye bolts. It would be easy to bend them so at the very least, keep an "eye" on it. Also the eye bolts in the trailer shouldn't be screwed into the wood, but bolted on the underside of the trailer with a washer and locknut. It's hard to tell from the photo, but if they are lag screwed into the wood, they will come out. We've made that mistake before and almost learned the hard way.

And the safest place for the side cases is on the bike if you have the room.

Good luck to you sir.
Hppants and Road Runner loved this
TimDog!
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Hppants wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:50 am Waterville valley, NH. Looks to be right snack dab in the middle of everything, Ray.

Let’s ride!!
Great riding area..... you're right on the Kanc! It's a must do.
The boys near Albany/Cats have no real plan, working stiffs who likely can only do weekends. We haven't arranged anything yet. I have to wait until first of August to see what's on my calendar.....

Art, will definitely look you up any time I'm over that way.
Hppants and Road Runner loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Now that I see the eyes, better turn those around so you don't pull on the open side..... also I'd eventually get longer ones and go right through the steel below it... or move them off that stake bracket, wouldn't want to rely on that weld long term.
Yes put the outboard saddle bag on and get more room in the truck.... inboard one might be tight quarters....

It really doesn't take much to hold a bike, many tend to overdo it, straps too tight, etc. Yes to zip ties on the hooks, or tie the loose ends of the straps there to prevent hook from coming out in case you hit a big bump....
blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

Hppants wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:50 am Waterville valley, NH. Looks to be right snack dab in the middle of everything, Ray.

Let’s ride!!
My wife's nephew has a place very close to there. You should have a great time! Lots to see and do.
Hppants loved this
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

I don't like the long shank on the eye bolts, they should be screwed in so there are no exposed threads between the eye and the upper nut, then oriented toward the direction of pull with the closed side of the eye toward the load.
Hppants, Road Runner, and El Toro Joe loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I appreciate all of the good comments.

We are about 2/3 the way there (stopped in the DC area outside the beltway). I looked at a dozen different scenerios over the past couple of months of how to get to New England and this is what seemed to be the best one, taking everything into consideration. Tomorrow is the longest day - about 630 miles. Google says I could do it in 565 miles, and presumably 1 hour quicker, but that would require me to drive through:

DC
Baltimore
Philly
NYC
Boston

I'll take my chances on another hour and avoiding all of those cities (opting for Harrisburg, Scranton, Albany instead). None the less, we are looking at 13-14 hours total travel time (barring no surprises), so it's up at dark thirty, buckle up, and give it the college try. Regardless, in keeping with the theme thus far, I refuse to push it. I've been holding my cruise control at no more than 63 mph, staying on the rght most lane (GTF out of the way), and being extra patient with any situation. Tomorrow will be no different. If it turns out that we can't make it all the way safely, then we stop, plain and simple.

1100 miles in, thus far, the rig has been terrific. I check everything at every stop, but haven't had to make one single adjustment yet. My eyebolts (3/8" eyebolts - stout) are not bent at all, and they are held in place with a lock nut on one side of the stake hole, and two jam nuts on the other with blue lock tight. My tire pressures are holding nicely and my transmission temperature has not climbed over 190, even in this unusually high heat we are driving through.

We've stayed with some of our friends along the way (Turk/Jana - Night 1, Dan/Tina - night 2). It sure is nice to have good friends. As expected, each couple has taken very good care of us.

As we've traveled, we've run through (or close to) dozens of cities where some of you live. I've thought about you. The idea that if I was in serious trouble, you'd come to my aide has been comforting beyond my finest words. I sincerely thank all of you for that.

At a gas station stop today, a gentlemen on the adjourning fuel pump looked over my rig and then glanced my way and emphatically proclaimed:

"Dude - YOU are definitely living the dream. Everything I see on your rig I want and have wanted for a long time."

My reply?

"Thank you. I am not unaware of my privledge, I assure you. It does not suck to be me."

Stay thirsty, my friends.
Full House, El Toro Joe, N4HHE and 2 others loved this

Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Watch the bikes big time. You are in an extremely bad area for stolen bikes. DC area all the way to Baltimore is a crazy place for bike theft.

I know you are on top of things but just be on extra high alert and talk to the hotel staff and the safety.

There are normally a lot of bikes listed for sale up there with no titles. It’s a free for all.
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Festus wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:22 pm Watch the bikes big time. You are in an extremely bad area for stolen bikes. DC area all the way to Baltimore is a crazy place for bike theft.

I know you are on top of things but just be on extra high alert and talk to the hotel staff and the safety.

There are normally a lot of bikes listed for sale up there with no titles. It’s a free for all.
Pants has a simple plan for hotel bike thieves.

Don't stay in hotels.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

danh600 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:03 am Pants has a simple plan for hotel bike thieves.

Don't stay in hotels.
Thanks Dan, that's much better. Had me really worried.
wheatonFJR loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Pants, I'm only minutes from Harrisburg so if you need anything......Could easily have hosted for a night! Even have 2 FJRs so you could have snuck in a ride without having to unload.
Full House, El Toro Joe, bigjohnsd and 1 others loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866