2024 "Festar Rides Again" or "2024 Flat White Tour"

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Re: 2024 "Festar Rides Again" or "2024 Flat White Tour"

Post by fontanaman »

Fontanaman says hello to all. That is a heck of a trip you guys have been on and I was happy to share a couple of days with you.

Today I had a choice to ride to Jellystone and Beartooth Pass or Jasper Alberta. It was raining in Canada so I am on my way to Jellystone. I want to take some time crossing the Lamar Valley and park the bike where there are a lot of people and Bison. Great entertainment and it's free!
Tyler, wheatonFJR, and Full House loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 CanAm Spyder ST

Post by Tyler »

fontanaman wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:25 pm Today I had a choice to ride to Jellystone and Beartooth Pass or Jasper Alberta. It was raining in Canada so I am on my way to Jellystone. I want to take some time crossing the Lamar Valley and park the bike where there are a lot of people and Bison. Great entertainment and it's free!
Just remember to bring your patience hat... there are always idiots in the NPs... oh, and don't pet the fluffy cows! ;)
wheatonFJR and fontanaman loved this
"Spend time with those who make you better." ~Anonymous
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

28 June - Lake Country BC (0700) to the Outpost, Helena MT (1900) 11 actual Elapsed Time hours (12 - 1 due to the time change) - 603 miles - One Flat White, but some great coffee along the way!

When we left Dave and Sylvia's it was 52f and cloudy but looked promising to the South!

We turned left on to BC 33 and soon we were loving it!

We crossed the border at Midway BC/Ferry WA - first in line for the 0900 opening!

We initiated the coffee search immediately after crossing the border - Scotts Coffee was closest and only a mile out of the way.

A Family owned 40 year old business - free coffee to drink (samples) $8 a half pound, roasted while you wait! Heavenly!

Their "Flash Roaster"

The son, Steve, the younger guy in the photo, is the Chief Engineer for Motion Pro - the motorcycle tool maker!

We continued South on 395 towards Spokane and stopped for our Flat White and a sandwich near Lake something or other..

The flat white was good, the sandwich not so much.

At Spokane, we jumped onto I-90 and put the hammer down making up 45 minutes of our predicted arrival time at the Outpost.

I-90 between Coeur d'Alene ID and Missoula MT is actually not too bad, great as interstates go. We stopped once at Regis for fuel and Ice Cream before getting off and taking US 12 to Helena and the Outpost.

Annie had dinner ready upon our arrival.

Tomorrow Helena to Spearfish - the end of the Journey!
Last edited by bigjohnsd on Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cav47, bungie4, LKLD and 4 others loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Anything is better than bisquit gravy. :mrgreen:

What an epic trip. Every day is incredible.
Cav47, raYzerman, festar and 2 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Brian has seen more of America, then 99% of Americans.
CraigRegs, bungie4, Festus and 6 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

danh600 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:27 am Brian has seen more of America, then 99% of Americans.
True.

Also true: Brian has pissed more Flat White than 99% of Americans.
CraigRegs, Cav47, Festus and 3 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
festar
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2006 in Australia, 2003 in the US

Post by festar »

danh600 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:27 am Brian has seen more of America, then 99% of Americans.
Well I’ve certainly seen a lot. And keep it coming.
FJRPittsburgh, CraigRegs, bigjohnsd and 3 others loved this
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have each other.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by bigjohnsd »

29 June - Helena, MT to Home (Spearfish SD) via US 14A and Burgess Junction - 641 FJR Odometer miles - 0730 - 1800 (10.5 hours) One Flat White stop at Clyde Park MT (Great Bakery and Coffee Shop owned by a motorcyclist!).

It was a cool, 43f, but beautiful morning as we headed South down the East side of the Canyon Ferry Reservoir (Missouri River) just East of Helena.

We turned East on US 12 and went as far as US 89 then South on US 89 stopping at Clyde Park for a coffee and breakfast. The Ham and Cheese savory pastry was so excellent that neither of us got a picture. Flat whites were one of the best of the trip, the owner gives a shit!

As always in Montana there are snow-capped peaks everywhere one looks

We gassed at Big Timber MT and made the decision to add an hour and a half and another 100 miles to the days journey by including US 14A and a stop at Burgess Junction for a late lunch into our itinerary.

We saw more snow and had two moose bolt across the road just before us as we got to the top.
No moose or humans were harmed, seats may have been wrinkled, and ABS may have cycled.

Brian appears to be more than happy with his "new" FJR!

Tomorrow we will join the Black Hills BMW Riders for coffee and a ride before cleaning gear, bikes and preparing for Brian's Tuesday departure. I'll have a wrap-up post then.
CraigRegs, LKLD, raYzerman and 2 others loved this
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by bigjohnsd »

bungie4, El Toro Joe, LKLD and 7 others loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

"Unbelievable" Really - that's the only word that comes to mind.

Over 6 weeks of uninterupted touring. Very good on you, Brian, for taking your time and doing this right. And kudos to your family for giving you this time. I'm sure you miss them terribly.

Thank you Kevin and Jrew for loaning Brian a bike to use. That is a big ask - you guys are great friends Thanks to all of our friends who made time to see Brian and John and participate on this epic adventure. I failed on my own chance, and feel a bit guilty over it. I will see you again, my friend, either on this side or the other.

Most importantly, HUGE props to my friend John, for putting this together. This took a LOT of doing. And you documented it beautifully. You did good, my friend.

There ain't too many ride reports out there like this.
Full House, Cav47, bigjohnsd and 6 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Yeah, what he ^ said. :D
bigjohnsd loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

Hppants wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:02 am "Unbelievable" Really - that's the only word that comes to mind.

Over 6 weeks of uninterupted touring. Very good on you, Brian, for taking your time and doing this right. And kudos to your family for giving you this time. I'm sure you miss them terribly.

Thank you Kevin and Jrew for loaning Brian a bike to use. That is a big ask - you guys are great friends Thanks to all of our friends who made time to see Brian and John and participate on this epic adventure. I failed on my own chance, and feel a bit guilty over it. I will see you again, my friend, either on this side or the other.

Most importantly, HUGE props to my friend John, for putting this together. This took a LOT of doing. And you documented it beautifully. You did good, my friend.

Brian made it clear that he does not like to stop and smell the roses; he just wants to ride from flat white to flat white.
Madmudder, Hppants, fontanaman and 3 others loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
M. Tyson
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Pterodactyl wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:48 pm
Hppants wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:02 am "Unbelievable" Really - that's the only word that comes to mind.

Brian made it clear that he does not like to stop and smell the roses; he just wants to ride from flat white to flat white.
He can be distracted by Pie & Ice Cream. It's like Kryptonite.
Madmudder, FJRPittsburgh, Hppants and 7 others loved this
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

This whole report has been mind boggling. So many days and so many miles. And like Joey said, great report the whole way. It was fun getting into work and seeing what you had ran the previous day. Well, not "fun" getting into work. Amazing trip.
Madmudder, Hppants, bigjohnsd and 2 others loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.