Memorial Day

This subforum will contain memorial posts and memories of those members who have departed but live on in the stories shared here.
Forum rules
This subforum is listed in the public area - no log in is required to view; please keep that in mind when posting here.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Memorial Day

Post by Hppants »

Once again, I offer the same pledge that I make every Memorial Day and every Veterans Day:

I promise to live my life in a manner that is worthy of what you did for me. That is the very best way I can say "thank you".

Stay thirsty, my friends...
CollingsBob, Niehart, danh600 and 6 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Re: Memorial Day

Post by Toter »

There is always some confusion on Memorial Day. It is not the day to thank Veterans for their service. There is another day for that. It is the day we remember and recognize those that gave the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country. So many have given their lives to safeguard our freedom and way of life. Thank you for your sacrifice and the sacrifice of your families.
CollingsBob, Niehart, extrememarine and 4 others loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I am well aware of the difference, but at least for me, the message of thanks is the same. The difference, I suppose, is that for Veterans Day, at least for some of them, I get to tell them in person.
CollingsBob and Tyler loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Post by dcarver »

Well said Pants.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Thank you Pants. My pause tomorrow will be to raise a glass to Jordan and Jonathan. Their final, selfless act is the definition of the words "Warrior" and "Hero".

BikerGeek, Niehart, Hppants and 2 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

extrememarine wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:03 pm Thank you Pants. My pause tomorrow will be to raise a glass to Jordan and Jonathan. Their final, selfless act is the definition of the words "Warrior" and "Hero".

Niehart and N4HHE loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Armed Forces Day is a holiday that honors the men and women who serve in the United States military, both past and present, and their sacrifices. It was celebrated on the third Saturday in May, and in 2024, it was on May 18.

Veterans Day honors and celebrates all those who served the country. It is observed on November 11.

Memorial Day (originally known as Decoration Day) is a federal holiday in the United States for honoring and mourning the U.S. military personnel who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. It is observed on the last Monday of May.

God bless those that died in the service to our great country. May they rest in eternal peace.
CollingsBob, Hppants, blind squirrel and 4 others loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Remembering Robert Miller of Wheaton, IL who sacrificed himself to save his fellow soldiers and Afghan forces in the midst of a fierce and overwhelming Taliban ambush. Please consider reading his MOH citation.

https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/3954
CollingsBob and Intech loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.