Final Drive Leak

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Final Drive Leak

Post by FJRoss »

Not the usual sort where it happens as a result of overfilling or failure of the seal at the input shaft...

Bike has sat on the centerstand since November in my unheated garage. Tonight, I was getting the wheels off in preparation for a tire change tomorrow. When I slipped the wheel off the pumpkin, it was accompanied by about 5 millilitres of black gear oil (black because of the grease used for the splines). I wiped it off the floor and wheel with paper towels and no significant amount continued running- no further drips after 2 hours.

There is no oil on the outside of the pumpkin or on the floor under it (prior to removing the wheel) No oil or greasy dirt on the underside of the swingarm or at the weep hole. There has been no oil on the wheel or anywhere else.

This doesn't seem to be typical of a final drive leak. Ignore it and see if it goes away?
Keep an eye on it and take action if the leak actually makes it outside the wheel hub?

I have some major rear-end service to do including clean/lube drive splines, u-joint, relay arm, rear drive lube, and getting the shock refurbished. Anything in particular to check in terms of seals while I have the drive shaft off? (Thinking #5 and #24 - don't even know how accessible they are.)

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamah ... rive-shaft

Edit: Bike has 160,000 km (100,000 miles).
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X3, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Re: Final Drive Leak

Post by SkooterG »

Deleted..... Not my area of expertise.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR (X2) -- '09 FJR (X2) -- '13 FJR (X3) -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES -- '23 FJR ES -- '14 BMW GSA What can I say? I have issues!
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

What grease did you use?
I'd clean it up and use a different grease for the splines, perhaps a synthetic marine grease. There may be no leakage from the pumpkin, but the grease has separated into it's liquid vs. solids...
Anyway, take a couple of long rides where you know the pumpkin got up to temperature for an extended time, and pull the rear wheel to inspect again.
SkooterG loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:34 am What grease did you use?
I'd clean it up and use a different grease for the splines, perhaps a synthetic marine grease. There may be no leakage from the pumpkin, but the grease has separated into it's liquid vs. solids...
Anyway, take a couple of long rides where you know the pumpkin got up to temperature for an extended time, and pull the rear wheel to inspect again.
Grease was a regular heavy duty bearing grease (Lucas, I think). I have been using the same can for years and never encountered this. Anyway, since there appear to be no further drips this morning, I will reassemble after changing the tire. Perhaps I will use a different grease. Other than "waterproof, synthetic", any recommendations? I will keep a close watch and have a goid look when the wheel comes off for the rear-end service in a couple of weeks (want to get shock done first).
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

With lithium greases, with age they can separate.... e.g., if I fill my grease gun and hang it up for some time, it drips. There are holders that actually have a drip tray for that reason. Check your container, but I'd just try a different grease. Of course, you know Honda Moly Paste is da bomb, lol.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Honda moly paste is not necessary for the application and makes a God-awful mess. Won't dispute that it is good stuff.
Container of grease shows no separation and I doubt there would have been enough in the rear splines to yield that much liquid.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

If you are going to lube the shaft splines and the U-joint, obviously examine everything while you have the pumpkin out of it's housing. I have not yet seen a leak from #24, which I suppose would be your problem IF you have any problem at all. I've seen (and had on my gen 1), a leak from #5 and #11.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Hppants wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 am If you are going to lube the shaft splines and the U-joint, obviously examine everything while you have the pumpkin out of it's housing. I have not yet seen a leak from #24, which I suppose would be your problem IF you have any problem at all. I've seen (and had on my gen 1), a leak from #5 and #11.
#11 isn't the issue since it is coming from the output side, not the input. Could be #5. Is it easy to replace or a big deal?

Not going to do anything until I get the wheels back on and ride it for a bit. All comes apart again in a couple weeks to do the rear-end service stuff. (Might do the gear oil now since I'll want to check level anyway.
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Has anyone replaced #5 or #24? Just wondering how difficult it is to access and if special tools are needed. I had a quick look at the FSM but it was more concerned with gear backlash and the like. Nothing much about simple seal replacements.
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

No further drips after 40 hours or so. I am going to put it back together today and see what happens.
I found a thread that described a similar leak at FJRowners. I probably had a bit more oil but it hadn't made it outside the pumpkin until I removed the rear wheel. No resolution in this instance - OP did not report back.
https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/final ... st-1279723
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Hppants wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 am If you are going to lube the shaft splines and the U-joint, obviously examine everything while you have the pumpkin out of it's housing. I have not yet seen a leak from #24, which I suppose would be your problem IF you have any problem at all. I've seen (and had on my gen 1), a leak from #5 and #11.
Did you replace #5? Just wondering how hard it is to access...
(I'm guessing not easy.)
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I replaced 11 and 12 on my gen 1 (the Pinion side). I had the proverbial "splooge" issue. It was straight forward and similar to replacing any spring-loaded lip oil seal. I have never gotten into the Ring side of a "differential".

it sound like your spline lubrication has seperated, but if you have a leak, it may take a heat cycle for it to show? Maybe put it back together, take a ride, and then pull the wheel back off for an examination?

That Moly 60 stuff is the bees knees.
FJRoss loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Did a bunch of annual maintenance stuff, including final drive lube. Got out for a 100 km ride to check out new tires and new battery and making sure I got everything back together properly. No issues and no oil drips. Runs great for an old girl.

First time I have had the FJR out since last October. It sat around with worn out tires while I rode the BMW F700GS. Fun little bike to ride but just about half the horsepower and suspension that is second rate (compared to my Penske and AK20). The FJR is AWESOME.
FJRPittsburgh, Hppants, Festus and 1 others loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

In 200,000 miles of riding/owning four (4) FJRS, this ^^^ is how it usually goes:

1. Something is dfferent, do I have a problem?

2. (forum) It's either self-inflicted, or self-generated. Ride more, stress less.

after a cleaning and ride

3. Well, it's fixed. And it was nothing. (LOL)

Glad it's "fixed", and it was nothing. Stay thirsty, my friend...

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I usually only make it to step 2 which is where everything goes up in flames.
FJRoss loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.