What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by raYzerman »

Also visit the coffee hut leaving town going east and have a real huckleberry milkshake..... well, that was 2 years ago, don't know if the scenery has changed or not.........

Last edited by raYzerman on Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CollingsBob, D-Eagle, and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Ray's photo (had some brackets in the wrong place).

wheatonFJR and gixxerjasen loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Dang, I wasn't planning to go that far northwest on this trip. I wonder if I can bribe 0face with milkshakes????
boatanchor, 3rd class.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Took a 1/2 day of PTO, and went for a nice 195 mile ride...it was a beautiful 77 degree day
BkerChuck, wheatonFJR, bungie4 and 1 others loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

The left side seam on my Seth Laam seat is showing slight signs of wear from 120,000 miles of sliding on and off. I bought some vinyl repair stuff and applied it to my seat. Looks pretty good.
fontanaman loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

fontanaman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:53 pm
escapefjrtist wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:46 pm
fontanaman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:09 pm Newly retired I expect those RS 4's will soon be toast. How about a tire report?
With a set of RS III's in first position, it might be a few months Jim. However, C14 needs a new front tire so the front III might go on it. Then I'd be left with an orphan III rear. I'll come up with some plan to get the RS IV's on the FJR sooner rather than later... ;)
~G
How about if we meet in Winthrop when the North Cascades Hwy opens and I will buy the RS3's to save you the trouble of mounting them? 😁
I'm up for a lunch meeting in Winthrop...not sure who's coming out better on the tire deal though. :stickpoke: The RS3s are the last inexpensive set I have in stock!

~G
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I'm checking RS3 prices daily. I think my laptop knows this. Seems the price is going up. Boo!!
fontanaman loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Hppants wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:38 am I'm checking RS3 prices daily. I think my laptop knows this. Seems the price is going up. Boo!!
Going up is putting it kindly. Motorcycle tire prices have skyrocketed since last fall. Makes me want to consider the dark side. Oops shouldn't have said that here! :lol:
Cav47 and gixxerjasen loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Well, since I had no work obligations today I got down and dirty and cleaned the front, sides, and underneath of spooge, bugs, and various crap. If my 100% cleaning effort is 60% on the G/Escapefjrtist scale...this was probably 50% on the G scale. After that, gave a quick spray and wipe of a wax/protectorant...to hopefully help the bugshit wipe off easier in the future.

After that, put the armor back in the Oly gear, after an extensive evening of hand washing and application of protectorant product. Nikwax products. Machine dry to damp, then hung overnight for the drying process to continue. Lumberg will not recognize how yellow this jacket is now.

I will likely take 4 Michelin used donuts to the recycle location. The amount of tread still on them seems wasteful and bad for the environment. Oh well.

If I tackle the repacking of the 2bros baffle material, it will be tomorrow at the earliest. Lumberg concurred that the volume was loud enough to be unrecognizable.
escapefjrtist, bill lumberg, Hppants and 2 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:05 pm If my 100% cleaning effort is 60% on the G/Escapefjrtist scale...this was probably 50% on the G scale.
Flattery! :lol:

I am sure your bike is very very clean.
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

fontanaman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:25 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:05 pm If my 100% cleaning effort is 60% on the G/Escapefjrtist scale...this was probably 50% on the G scale.
Flattery! :lol:

I am sure your bike is very very clean.
Jim,
Unfortunately it's true about the filthy bike. The people that stoop low enough to include me on their rides KNOW. For most of the 21 years I've own FJRs, I've ridden a bike less than sparkling. Not that I haven't wanted it to be clean, but with work stress, I prioritized riding and chilling (and drinking) instead of getting under the bike and waxing the shit out of it like George/Escape does. Now that I am retired, I find that lowered levels of stress combined with 5 times more time on some days (when I'm not still working) than I've had before allows me the freedom and time to get at the bike and clean it up after a ride. I admire George and the effort he puts out to maintain his bikes at a high level that I will never attain. I shipped my bike out to George's place in 2016 when Louanne and I rode the northwest and BC. George just looked at me and shook his head when our black driver (Mr. Black) drove us to George's place. We'll leave it at that.

Jim, you and George...and the pieman (Mr. Black) need to reserve time when Marty and I come through to Hells Canyon and Lewiston and Moscow and show us NE Oregon. Or at least show us where the good pie places, or good roads are stashed. Sometime after the South Dakota...
escapefjrtist loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:12 pm
Jim, you and George...and the pieman (Mr. Black) need to reserve time when Marty and I come through to Hells Canyon and Lewiston and Moscow and show us NE Oregon. Or at least show us where the good pie places, or good roads are stashed. Sometime after the South Dakota...
There isn't a bad road in NE Oregon if you stay west of I-84, north of US 26, and east of Hwy 197 and Hwy 97. I call it riding in the box in fact I coined the term.

Personal favorites are:

The Dooley Mt Hwy 245 just outside of Baker City, I kid you not I have literally kissed that road and on another occasion smoked George while he was trying get from touring mode to sport mode! :lol:

Hwy 207, 206, 19 between Fossil and Dayville and the incomparable Hwy 218 from Shaniko to Fossil. Hwy 218 is one of the best roads in the Pacific Northwest - nuts to the North Cascades Highway. Here is a link to a ride report I did a while ago for more ideas.

Some like NF052 but I find the pavement is less than ideal and it is slow going.
El Toro Joe, escapefjrtist, and wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Thanks!
boatanchor, 3rd class.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Brake fluid changed. Got interrupted... Clutch fluid change tomorrow. Hopefully be able to take a peek tomorrow at the air filter.

Got routes input to the gps. Jump box arrived. New dark shield should arrive next week.

Hopefully get the 2bros baffles packed soon. Don't want to piss off HMFIC.
N4HHE loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
escapefjrtist
Veteran

Post by escapefjrtist »

Opening day for North Cascades, Rainy Pass, throw in a three pass loop and 390 (s)miles with Fontanaman! JS’NS

~G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BikerGeek, Hppants, Full House and 3 others loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

escapefjrtist wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:44 pm Opening day for North Cascades, Rainy Pass, throw in a three pass loop and 390 (s)miles with Fontanaman! JS’NS

~G

We had a great day. Each of us is 60 something and we finally lost our ride the North Cascade Hwy on opening day virginity. :lol:
Hppants, wheatonFJR, and escapefjrtist loved this
escapefjrtist
Veteran

Post by escapefjrtist »

fontanaman wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 pm
escapefjrtist wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:44 pm Opening day for North Cascades, Rainy Pass, throw in a three pass loop and 390 (s)miles with Fontanaman! JS’NS
~G
We had a great day. Each of us is 60 something and we finally lost our ride the North Cascade Hwy on opening day virginity. :lol:
Enjoyed the ride Fontanaman, thanks for making the trek to the wetside! Although we (mostly) behaved ourselves, we blew some carbon out of the FJR and used up most of my take-off rear tire. Couple more local rides and it'll be toast...not ***wheat*** toast ( :stickpoke: ) but close enough!

~G
Cav47, wheatonFJR, and fontanaman loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Lol.
Looks awesome... wish I was riding with you. Of course I wouldn't be riding skimpy tires like you guys!
boatanchor, 3rd class.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Went to Orygun today and enjoyed Hwy 218.

Here is a photo of motorcycle heaven on earth.

There are few trees on Hwy 218 so the sight lines are very good.

A guy in a yellow BMW M3 waved me around. Never saw him again! 😃
Hppants, bungie4, escapefjrtist and 1 others loved this
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

I put almost 470 miles on her doing some recon for an upcoming run south. Temps were in the 40s when I left and hit 60 on the furthest point south. .

Southern Indiana south of Bloomington has some good roads. I rode all that I could. I hit a couple bridges that were blocked and the detours were long and added some poor miles.

I just stopped for a picture. Didn’t go inside.

This mural is right along the Ohio River. She is up some, but nothing crazy.

Spawn, who is a certified Swifty, has been on me for quite a while about listening to her. Since she dropped 2 new albums, I thought it could be a good way to pass the time home.
She is a great lyricist and the stories helped pass the last 3 hours.

I didn’t see a police officer the entire ride on the road……..Until I passed one that was in an unmarked truck. I was even with his door when I noticed the lights on his dash and handcuffs having on the A-pillar. He gave me a nod and I continued to move past him. He could have popped his lights on and wrote me as I was probably 20 over to get around him.

I guess he must have been a rider to have let me go.

The recon run was a success. Need to make a few adjustments to the route to avoid the big towns. Nothing ruins a good song and flow than a bunch of traffic lights and slow cars.

Hppants, gixxerjasen, rbentnail and 4 others loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!