Valve check hazards

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Gprider
Squid
FJRModel: 2016A,2012A

Valve check hazards

Post by Gprider »

I just did a valve check on my 2016 FJR. Everything went pretty well except for getting the valve cover back on. I had to unhook quite a few connectors to get the wiring harness to move to the right to get the valve cover back on. Got everything back together after double checking all my connections. Went for a ride and the check engine light was on. It is running perfectly and everthing is working correctly even the cruise control. I rode it over to my Yamaha dealer and they hooked it up to the diagnostic. Four active codes came up.
P0118 Coolant temp sensor
P1400 Air induction sensor
196 Event coolant temp sensor
245 Event Engine stall

The tech told me he canceled them and then started the bike again and they came back up. So I ride back home and take it apart. Everything was hooked back up correctly. I unhooked every connector I had removed and checked the connectors closely. The all seemed fine. I even checked the voltage going to the coolant temp sensor(4.9v) and the air induction sensor(13.5). The shop manual shows 4.9v to be ok on the coolant sensor. Not sure yet what the correct voltage for the air induction sensor is. still looking. I'm having a hardtime believing all this is happening after a simple valve check. Any ideas?

GP
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Re: Valve check hazards

Post by raYzerman »

Interesting..... when you say Active, there should be codes on the display. Stored codes aren't active, but history.....
Is the Check Engine light on now when you run it, and any codes in the display?

Unless they changed it, the bike will not start with the coolant sensor disconnected. The P0118 (if stored) means it is history, but if Active, the bike shouldn't start. You could have triggered it if the coolant temp sensor was unplugged and your turned the ignition on.

Air Induction Sensor is the PAIR system solenoid, which you would have had off, if the ECU does not see it (resistance), it triggers the code on 2016-up. Engine will still run. Will be Active if not connected, but if connected properly, could be a stored code.
196 and 245 just says it happened.

So, re-check connections and no bent pins, etc. and plugged in, should be no Check Engine and no Active codes in the display. Then you should be able to clear the Stored codes.

Please amend your profile to indicate A or ES, the wiring diagrams are significantly different, and to make it worse, Yamaha incorrectly labelled the two in the service manual.......... that said, look for a 14-way connector with only 8 or 9 Blue/black wires in it, and one out to the O2 Sensor. Ensure the O2 Sensor is connected perhaps.

Other than that, the coolant sensor and the Air Induction Solenoid are connected directly to the ECU, no connectors in between.
CollingsBob, SkooterG, and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Gprider
Squid

Post by Gprider »

Both FJRs are A's. Profile fixed. That's interesting info. The shop tech called them active codes. But he also called the air induction, air injection. :) I went through all the connectors that I disconnected during the valve check and closely inspected them. They were all good. Started it again and the check engine light stayed on. When they did my transmission recall, they had the whole engine out and unplugged everything I did and more. No problem with the check engine light. This FJR doesnt show codes on the display that I know of. You have to have some kind of an OBD tool that runs through a computer. The shop manager told me that if everything is connected right the check engine light should clear on it's own. Wonder if the ECU is having a problem? I don't see any connector with over 4 wires coming out of it. All the ones I unplugged had 2 and one had 4. Where is the 02 sensor located?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

You can use a cheap OBD reader and an app called TorquePro on your phone, and need an adapter harness you'll find on ebay, aliexpress. Dealer computer can do more, but TorquePro can clear codes. If you're not getting a code on the display, then I'll guess they are stored codes, not affecting anything active, i.e., your engine starts so you fixed the coolant temp thing. I don't know where the O2 sensor connector is, have to follow the wire up and likely near or under throttle bodies?
Terminology varies for Air Induction, Air Injection (it does not inject, it's passive, lol), PAIR, etc.
Agree if all conditions corrected, the CEL should go away after a while......
What I'm not understanding is when dealer cleared them, they came back with all conditions corrected (ie., not active).
wheatonFJR loved this
Gprider
Squid

Post by Gprider »

I'll see what I can do. May take a few days as I am out of town for a few days. Thanks for your help. Still wondering about the ECU, if it could be having a problem.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Yes it could but not likely, nothing you did would blow an ECU..... if anything, disconnect the negative battery cable for a minute, then with a positive and deliberate one motion action, reinstall it. No tentative spikey voltage intermittencies, just do it.
It may or may not have any benefit.... if no codes in the display, go ride for a while and have a couple of coffee breaks so you have a couple more ignition OFF-ON cycles. Ain't gonna hurt nuthin' with a CEL on.
wheatonFJR loved this
Gprider
Squid

Post by Gprider »

I pulled everything apart yesterday and checked it again and everything looks good. Unhooked the battery just for the heck of it for a minute. Didn't help. Put it back together and went for a 20 mile ride. Check engine light is still on. Ran it up to about 130 and it didn't miss a beat. Runs like new. All the other electronic gauges work fine too. Cruise, temp gauge, heated grips and all others, Everything works fine. Very strange

GP
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Got any photos of it? The top of the engine, with all the wires plugged back in?
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Yes a bit strange, but.... Did you do a couple of ignition cycles? Although no guarantee, the bike needs to learn all is OK. Another ride or two might do it, but I think you're at the point you need to get an OBD reader and clear any stored error conditions. If your dealer will do it for free, then OK.

Have a read......... http://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtopi ... ss#p190454
Gprider loved this
Gprider
Squid

Post by Gprider »

Festus wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:42 pm Got any photos of it? The top of the engine, with all the wires plugged back in?
Just before pics, no after.
Gprider
Squid

Post by Gprider »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:13 pm Yes a bit strange, but.... Did you do a couple of ignition cycles? Although no guarantee, the bike needs to learn all is OK. Another ride or two might do it, but I think you're at the point you need to get an OBD reader and clear any stored error conditions. If your dealer will do it for free, then OK.

Have a read......... http://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtopi ... ss#p190454
I will try a few more ignition cycles. If it doesnt clear I am taking it to another dealership today. I just realized my extended warranty is still good until May. We will see.

GP
raYzerman and El Toro Joe loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Sounds good. Meanwhile get yourself the cheap OBD and while it might not do everything, it will save you lotsa time.
Gprider
Squid

Post by Gprider »

Ok, took the bike to a different shop yesterday. I was expecting bad news, but they cleared the codes and the check engine light went off and has stayed off. Lots of relief. The Tech's at this dealership were older and more experienced. The first Tech that checked it was young and didn't have much experience. All I can figure is that he either didn't know what he was doing when he did the diagnostic or something was wrong with the computer or the diagnostic program. I'm looking for a OBD now.

GP
Hppants and raYzerman loved this