Setting sag

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Tuffy1982
Squid
FJRModel: 05 AT

Setting sag

Post by Tuffy1982 »

I have a 2015 and I’m 6’1 175lbs. I’ve never on any of my bikes set the sag or rebound. I did change this one a while back to settings that @Rayzerman recommended with the forks. The rear is still stock, I have a Penske 8983 to go in just haven’t done it. My question is: is it worth it to buy a motool v4 or something similar to set the sag (also easier to do by myself) or at my weight & height does it matter that much? I do some cruising but also like to be aggressive through the corners. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: Setting sag

Post by gixxerjasen »

I have the motool and it's a fantastic tool. However, do NOT pay full price for it. I gave this tip to a friend of mine and it worked out well. Go google it, watch youtube videos of it, sign up for it at their site and put it in your cart and walk away from it. Rinse and repeat google and youtube. Then peruse facebook daily and after about a week you'll see advertisements for it significantly reduced in price. I ended up paying $99 for the one listed as $175.

Is it worth it? I have several bikes and it works nicely that you can measure and save your settings for each bike in the app and being able to set the sag on multiple bikes easily was worth it for me. You have to decide if it's worth it to you.

If you have a buddy who is well versed in this, then host a get together and have a sag party setting each other's bikes. I did this years ago and we all rode away with much better set up suspension.
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Tuffy1982
Squid

Post by Tuffy1982 »

Ok thanks. I have that deal on Facebook now but it doesn’t come with the case, but does come with the remote device, that’s why I’m considering doing it now.

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I haven't seen it go for better than that deal. It's pretty nice, helped me find out that I can't get the sag set on my KTM with the aftermarket springs the previous owner put in for him and his wife. I've got springs on order to help with that and I'll get to play with the tool some more.
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Tuffy1982
Squid

Post by Tuffy1982 »

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Go cheap!! Forget the tool....... First off you can't set rear sag on the rear A shock, it is what it is, but do dial in the rebound damping to 8 clicks out to start, and you'll end up at 7 or maybe 6 if you're really aggressive.
For the front, put a zip tie around the fork tube, and slide it down as far as you can. If you can put the front wheel in a chock, then get a coupla stools and carefully mount the bike, sit down, then get up and off...... put a jack under the headers to raise the front end until the forks are fully extended.... measure distance from zip tie to dust seal.... that's your total sag. Slide the zip tie down again, lower the bike until it is sitting without you on it.... jack it up again, the zip tie to dust seal is the bike sag, subtract the two and that's the rider sag.......

Or, for your weight, I'd just dial those progressive fork springs in until you got 2 lines showing.....

We'll talk about the rear when you get yer Penske. Do you know what spring is on it??
CollingsBob and LKLD loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Tuffy1982
Squid

Post by Tuffy1982 »

raYzerman wrote:Go cheap!! Forget the tool....... First off you can't set rear sag on the rear A shock, it is what it is, but do dial in the rebound damping to 8 clicks out to start, and you'll end up at 7 or maybe 6 if you're really aggressive.
For the front, put a zip tie around the fork tube, and slide it down as far as you can. If you can put the front wheel in a chock, then get a coupla stools and carefully mount the bike, sit down, then get up and off...... put a jack under the headers to raise the front end until the forks are fully extended.... measure distance from zip tie to dust seal.... that's your total sag. Slide the zip tie down again, lower the bike until it is sitting without you on it.... jack it up again, the zip tie to dust seal is the bike sag, subtract the two and that's the rider sag.......

Or, for your weight, I'd just dial those progressive fork springs in until you got 2 lines showing.....

We'll talk about the rear when you get yer Penske. Do you know what spring is on it??
It says”Hyperco” on the spring itself so maybe that’s it. It came off my 05 FJR & was on that one when I bought it. I know awhile ago you told me the steps to put that on, I just have to find that thread. I almost had a mishap removing the lowering kit on my 2015 when the back collapse in on me! ( wrong order of removal!)ImageImage

FJRPittsburgh loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Hyperco is not to be confused with HyperPro (who make progressive springs and won't tell you what the spring rates are). So is there a number stamped on that Hyperco?
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

When you install the 8983, add ~3mm of additional ride height. You'll thank me later!

Hyperco springs I've seen have the rate etched on one of the flat ends. Hopefully your 8983 has at least a 750 - 800# spring on it. If not, springs are cheap to replace and readily available. For your weight I'd begin with 12mm of preload and see how the bike behaves. Don't go less than 10mm spring preload. If you need less preload to get decent sag, then source a new spring 50#s less than what's on now.

~G
wheatonFJR loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
Tuffy1982
Squid

Post by Tuffy1982 »

raYzerman wrote:Hyperco is not to be confused with HyperPro (who make progressive springs and won't tell you what the spring rates are). So is there a number stamped on that Hyperco?
I’ve heard of Hyperpro, but didn’t want to assume that’s what it was.ImageImageImageImageImageImage
But no I didn’t see a number on it. Since the p wore off maybe the number did also. ImageImage

Tuffy1982
Squid

Post by Tuffy1982 »

escapefjrtist wrote:When you install the 8983, add ~3mm of additional ride height. You'll thank me later!

Hyperco springs I've seen have the rate etched on one of the flat ends. Hopefully your 8983 has at least a 750 - 800# spring on it. If not, springs are cheap to replace and readily available. For your weight I'd begin with 12mm of preload and see how the bike behaves. Don't go less than 10mm spring preload. If you need less preload to get decent sag, then source a new spring 50#s less than what's on now.

~G
Ok, thanks.
What happened to the “Like” button for these posts?

danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Tuffy1982 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:57 pm
escapefjrtist wrote:When you install the 8983, add ~3mm of additional ride height. You'll thank me later!

~G
Ok, thanks.
What happened to the “Like” button for these posts?

You need a few.posts for everything to work.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Good advice from ~G. While the shock is on the bench, you could pull the spring and check it out.??