Soldering 101

The Technical Library sub forum will contain how-to and reference articles for all generations of the FJR1300.
Forum rules
13.B - For tech library threads, same approach as the merchandise threads – all posts will be related to the tech library topic – questions about the topic, posts adding to the topic from a technical perspective, etc. Any posts outside of those will be deleted by forum moderators or admins.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Soldering 101

Post by Red »

raYzerman wrote: as I pressed on the LED, it works! Surface mounted LED rectangular (SMD)... will require delicate re-solder by somebody with experience and good eyes, or replace the module.
Riders,

Lots of people say that soldering is tricky, but if they dumped their poor old tools on me, I'd have a hard time myself. In my job as an aircraft electronics tech, everybody on my team would say they could give an appendectomy to a termite. 8-) None of us had super-powers, but we did have the right tooling.

The average would be somebody thinking that rosin was actually good flux, or that acid flux was okay for use on electronics. Flux means FLOW, and you want your solder to flow like water on your connections. Acid flux is for plumbing, if even that. Acid flux will destroy electronics, unless you clean it up with baking soda and water after the work. Rosin flux is lame; it does not work on many metals, and it needs alcohol or a good solvent (safe for electronics) to wash away the flux after the job is done. Forget that old stuff; this is not the 1950s anymore. The best commonly available flux that I know is LA-CO flux, costing about US$ 3.50 for 2 oz. (113 g). This little jar will last you a long time. LA-CO flux washes away with plain water, and it is safe for drinking water pipes.

https://markal.com/collections/solderin ... 4786921519

These same folks might have a soldering iron that is suitable for building power plants, maybe with a "tip" half an inch (14 mm) across. Bogus. You need a temperature-controllable soldering iron in the range of 75 Watts, and a damp sponge to wipe the tip clean and shiny each time before you touch the soldering iron to the work. A small chisel tip (1/8" or 3 mm wide) is a good choice, at the business end. Crank up the tip temperature just enough for good progress on the work, but not so high that the tip gets "dirty" (oxidized) too fast. Just one example here:

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Statio ... 0CDNWLJWJ/

Now okay, there are a few things to know. Leaving flux on the board after soldering is a recipe for a quick failure, even if the gear will operate at the time when you are done. Cut down the bristles of an acid brush to get short firm brush bristles, and use it with the correct solvent (usually alcohol) and toilet paper to clean away all flux when you are finished. Old flux will collect dirt and contaminnts, and may damage the printed circuitry.

63-37 solder (lead/tin, by percentages) melts faster than the others. 60-40 solder is the most common old-style solder, but it is getting rare. I recommend lead-free solder, unless you have a vented work table to draw off the lead-laced fumes.

It's a good idea to remove all of the old solder from a job, before installing new parts. For that, you need Soder-Wick, or some similar copper braid with flux. Lay the braid on the old solder, apply the soldering iron, and the hot copper braid will absorb the old solder like magic. Add flux if needed, for good results. Copper braid goes for maybe US$ 1.00 per foot (30 cm), but you can pay much more. There is no great benefit from any extra expense, for copper braid.

Eyeglasses? Yeah, I have them, but perfect vision is not needed. What IS needed for fine electronics work is a low-power microscope, preferably the binocular type. The one-eyed microscope that you had as a kid is just too powerful. You need maybe 15 X power, +/- five X or ten X, and NOT what a microbiologist would use. You can find them in the thrift stores, or on websites like eBay and Craigslist. You will be amazed at how well you can do micro-soldering with this good tool.

Practice definitely helps. Make up some repair jobs on old junk electronic parts, and sharpen your skills. You can be a soldering ace in a matter of days. When the job is done, your soldering should look like new silver. Dirty, gray, granular soldering is sub-standard. A clean iron, good flux, and new solder are the ingredients for reliable repair.
PhilJet09, bigjohnsd, CraigRegs and 11 others loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: Soldering 101

Post by gixxerjasen »

Good stuff! I thought those magnification glasses were dorky till I bought some. Game changer, especially with the built in light.

I'd only ever soldered one or two wires here and there. Getting into the expensive hobby of building custom keyboards sure does give you some practice with your equipment. I'm still hobby level but better than I used to be.

Hppants, 0face, Cav47 and 2 others loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

Red, you’ve increased my knowledge about soldering immensely. There wasn’t much there to start with, but there is a bit now.
bigjohnsd, Hppants, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
M. Tyson
Red
Veteran
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:47 pm Good stuff! I thought those magnification glasses were dorky till I bought some. Game changer, especially with the built in light.
I'd only ever soldered one or two wires here and there. Getting into the expensive hobby of building custom keyboards sure does give you some practice with your equipment. I'm still hobby level but better than I used to be.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Keyboards/Si ... 084-XL.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Keyboards/Si ... 693-XL.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Keyboards/Si ... 719-XL.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Keyboards/Ot ... 309-X2.jpg
GixxerJasen,

Definitely, go with what works for you.
I have the eyeshade magnifiers. The ones with lights are good, and better if you can aim the lights somehow.
There are some eyeshade magnifiers with multiple lenses. You can swap out lenses, or even combine two sets for more magnification.
Some of them will let you use eyeglasses normally under them, even better, if you wear glasses.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I can aim the light up or down which is helpful because the default position is not good. I can also swap lenses, but can't combine them. I usually just go straight for the max magnification. Works well for soldering, painting, digging splinters out of fingers, etc. They were cheap ones off Amazon, there's better, but for the amount of time I use them, they work well. In fact they get used way more than I thought they would. I probably pull them out once every month or so for this or that. I haven't tried them over my glasses, I think there's room but I can usually make it work without them.
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:47 pm Getting into the expensive hobby of building custom keyboards...
My office is in the Mechanical Keyboard Building (MK Tech Center) I just bought a custom keyboard from them. You should see some of their stuff... There's a bunch of gamers there too...I know when they're all having a freaking tournament because the network slows down in the building trying to render all that shit.

:threadjack:

Back to your regular programming.
Hppants, gixxerjasen, and wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

I get it all and have done some soldering in my day...... so I went to my local electronics supply, a fairly large place, asked if they had any SMD's... not sure, look over there (back in the corner). Lots of regular wired LED's, not an SMD to be found... a million resistor choices too... no good to me. Next I perused their solder, flux, irons..... I'd spend a ton for this one wee job and likely not use it much again..... nope, I'm going to look for a professional....
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Red
Veteran

Post by Red »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:42 pmI get it all and have done some soldering in my day...... so I went to my local electronics supply, a fairly large place, asked if they had any SMD's... not sure, look over there (back in the corner). Lots of regular wired LED's, not an SMD to be found... a million resistor choices too... no good to me. Next I perused their solder, flux, irons..... I'd spend a ton for this one wee job and likely not use it much again..... nope, I'm going to look for a professional....
raYzerman,

Yes, tooling at retail can be expensive. The items that I linked are not.

These guys (below) have had good phone tech support for me in the past:

www.digikey.com/product-search/en

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... d=-1&rfr=1

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... d=-1&rfr=1

At a minimum, they can probably get you to the right sources, for almost anything electronic.

The manufacturer (by Part Number) should also have phone tech support available.
If you call and tell the manufacturer that you are an independent inventor,
they may even "sample" a small number of the parts straight to you, no charge.
N4HHE loved this
Cheers,
Red

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Red I appreciate all your knowledge and advice, but I'd only go there if I was taking it up as a hobby or something like that. For the one-off, just pay the professionals.....
Got another email from Scott at BlueGauges... he looked at the pics and said he could fix me up in like 10 minutes, and went on to say he wouldn't even charge me anything.... I replied I was having none of that nonsense, I won't let him work for nothing..... so we're likely hooking up next week and git 'er done. I'm all excited.
El Toro Joe, bigjohnsd, and gixxerjasen loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Taught "Aerospace" soldering in the AirForce, better than mowing lawns in Tech school.
Pretty low tech actually.

SMD stuff is hard with old guy eyes, microscope sounds like a good idea.
N4HHE loved this
Red
Veteran

Post by Red »

Powerman wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:22 pmTaught "Aerospace" soldering in the AirForce, better than mowing lawns in Tech school. Pretty low tech actually.
SMD stuff is hard with old guy eyes, microscope sounds like a good idea.
Powerman,

You can sometimes pick up a good binocular microscope on the "For Sale" websites or Fleabay. I have seen them in the thrift stores, too. One of the local TV stations here has a Classifieds website; I got a screaming deal on mine there. Sometimes you just need to put the word out to friends and relations.

15X to 30X will do the job for you. Some microscopes will have a range of magnifications built in, or a even a set of various low-power optics as part of the deal. You may not need to have eyes pressed to the optics, with a binocular microscope. You can usually position your eyes above the optics by half an inch (1 cm) or so, and see an easy view of the work with both eyes. Try before you buy. Happy hunting. 8-)
gixxerjasen and N4HHE loved this
Cheers,
Red