What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
branconway
Squid
FJRModel: 2015

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by branconway »

200 miles today under the sunny skies, felt like a slice of heaven
Hppants, wheatonFJR, and extrememarine loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Remembered my tag expired. Got to get that fixed!

We have to do inspections here, that sucks.
bill lumberg loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

danh600 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:16 pm Remembered my tag expired. Got to get that fixed!

We have to do inspections here, that sucks.
<not in SC>. Tread thickness is not an issue.
boatanchor, 3rd class.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Serviced the brake pedal, both levers, and spritzed the shifter.

Swapped to the xxl screen with the saeng mirrors attached, both for weather protection, and because my barkbusters block my stock mirrors.

Scheduled the first valve check for the 2022, which will include new plugs (still on the originals at 40k), and fresh coolant since I didn’t change mine this year.
Niehart, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Side case ejection novices!
LKLD, wheatonFJR, and Cav47 loved this
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Powerman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:46 pm Side case ejection novices!
That’s coming from the pro! :D
wheatonFJR loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:20 pm ... with the saeng mirrors attached, both for weather protection, and because my barkbusters block my stock mirrors.
Huh?

wheatonFJR loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Rode it on Saturday when it was 50 degrees. One last ride before the salt flies.
Today the white stuff is falling and that means they can't salt the roads fast enough.
Viper_Dad loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Severe clear skies and warming. 67 this afternoon. My buddy Alex is game, so... when we ride, we RIDE!!!
danh600 and gixxerjasen loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

175 miles this afternoon with a friend (2021 RT).

I picked some roads we hadn’t ridden in years. Nothing extravagant. Just some nice curvy back roads. I did run Hwy 1161, which is a rarity for south Louisiana: 5-6 miles of smooth curvy pavement with NO cross roads to be concerned about and total visibility throughout each curve. So you can turn it loose without worry. I took one right hander at about a buck five. Good time.

Stopped for ice cream.

My fjr tires are below the wear bars in the middle, and pretty worn on the edges. Next week, I’ll probably throw on my take offs.

Stay thirsty, my friends….
Niehart, BkerChuck, danh600 and 3 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Picked it up from a valve check. 2022, 42,000 miles. All valves were within spec. Had plugs replaced, as they were still original.

It’s the first time in quite a while that I rode the bike with no bags whatsoever. It’s fun. Makes me want to perpetrate a back seat bag and do it more often.
Spininprop, Niehart, Blueridgerider and 3 others loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Today I threw on a set of take offs I had for a while. Got a couple thousand miles of tread left on em. Should get me to the next trip. I’ve got a new set of RS3s ready to go for that.

bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Duplicate.
Last edited by bill lumberg on Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niehart, wheatonFJR, gixxerjasen and 1 others loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Today, I checked my front RS3 to see if it was part of the recall. It was not.

Rejiggled things in the glovebox (garage door remote placement, power head for wireless charging mount),that got displaced during the valve check yesterday.

And worked on my topcase…. I’m an idiot, and can screw up boiling water, so I don’t work on stuff, but still:

My v47 (acquired to try to wean me off my beloved Outback 58L) decided to commit suicide yesterday. It was on my shop stool, and I guess the contents shifted, and it slid off and face planted right on the handle side.

That’s bad, right? But no- it landed square on the key, preventing any contact between the case and the garage floor.

And said key gave all, breaking flush with the lock face. lol.

As I was looking for just the right tool to try to coax the embedded key free, (knowing full well that I’d never run a case without a backup key), I remembered that I had an extra lockset and keys from re-locking my 58L.

So, I disassembled everything (for every four Givi topcase screws you touch, one will strip, it’s a law). And I promptly lost the ball bearing from the lock mechanism.

I searched high and low, to no avail. This disrupted my careful memorization of how lock, actuator, and latch were meant to be put together, and would result in prolonged baffled fiddling with things during reassembly.

I ordered a $9 variety pack of ball bearings from Amazon, then realized that the ball bearing size was awful similar to a standard bb.

Long story long, the case is reassembled, with a bb taken from a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun filling in for the OEM ball bearing.

And said case is now keyed to match my 58L steamer trunk.

Merry Christmas.
D-Eagle, FJRPittsburgh, El Toro Joe and 2 others loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

You were dumb enough to do all that twice?

:D
bill lumberg, wheatonFJR, Cav47 and 1 others loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Mid 40s and December sun in the PNW! What to do? 100 (s)miles on the FJR to use a little fuel before valve inspection/plugs/coolant/TBS next week. Not expecting any surprises but it's due and I have the time.

~G
Hppants, fontanaman, Niehart and 1 others loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:31 pm Today, I checked my front RS3 to see if it was part of the recall. It was not.

Rejiggled things in the glovebox (garage door remote placement, power head for wireless charging mount),that got displaced during the valve check yesterday.

And worked on my topcase…. I’m an idiot, and can screw up boiling water, so I don’t work on stuff, but still:

My v47 (acquired to try to wean me off my beloved Outback 58L) decided to commit suicide yesterday. It was on my shop stool, and I guess the contents shifted, and it slid off and face planted right on the handle side.

That’s bad, right? But no- it landed square on the key, preventing any contact between the case and the garage floor.

As I was looking for just the right tool to try to coax the embedded key free, (knowing full well that I’d never run a case without a backup key), I remembered that I had an extra lockset and keys from re-locking my 58L.

So, I disassembled everything (for every four Givi topcase screws you touch, one will strip, it’s a law). And I promptly lost the ball bearing from the lock mechanism.

I searched high and low, to no avail. This disrupted my careful memorization of how lock, actuator, and latch were meant to be put together, and would result in prolonged baffled fiddling with things during reassembly.

I ordered a $9 variety pack of ball bearings from Amazon, then realized that the ball bearing size was awful similar to a standard bb.

Long story long, the case is reassembled, with a bb taken from a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun filling in for the OEM ball bearing.

Merry Christmas.
Careful, next time you "work on it" you're likely to put an eye out.
D-Eagle, FJRPittsburgh, bill lumberg and 2 others loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Yup. Thst movie is part of our Christmas DNA. That movie has played in our home 3 times at least over the last two days.

Merry Christmas everyone.
rbentnail wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:36 am
bill lumberg wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:31 pm Today, I checked my front RS3 to see if it was part of the recall. It was not.

Merry Christmas.
Careful, next time you "work on it" you're likely to put an eye out.
FJRPittsburgh and wheatonFJR loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

What movie? I was quoting my mother.....
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

lol
boatanchor, 3rd class.