Trailering the FJR

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: Trailering the FJR

Post by Hppants »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:44 pm
Hppants wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:30 am
DesignFlaw06 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:27 am Be cautious with the rear straps on the FJR. It is easy to bend the mounts for the side cases.

The most important thing you need to do after strapping it down is say "That's not going anywhere!" while trying to shake the handlebars a little bit.
You are referring to the black rectangular "cubes", and not the rear peg assy, correct?

I saw that - and changed the position of the soft loops on the rear sets to avoid pulling on that cube. Thanks.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll rotate the eye bolts in line with the straps. I mean, that is how the eyebolt wants to go - might as well tighten it down in that position.

Also - I think I'm going to put some Painter's Tape on my upper fork tubes where the soft loops/straps touch them. That is a finished surface and even though it's underneath the fairing, Pants is just Anal enough ....
….

Upon further inspection of your photo, the rear straps are touching the exhaust. Those will bend as you tighten them down also and wear the finish off the chrome in no time. You need to go back further and not as wide.
But still attach to the rear pegs, correct?

I don’t see anywhere else to strap it and allow the suspension to collapse.

Can anyone post photos of the rear setup for this?
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

You do not need to tie down the rear end like that. You only need to keep the wheels from going side to side. Take a strap and loop it through the rear wheel reasonably low, then loop it again over itself. You will notice the strap "locks" onto itself..... Anchor your strap at one side (ideally a tad rearward of the tire) and over to the other side. If your strap is long enough, you can loop it over both rear wheels, keeping the strap taut as you go from one side to the other. Cinch it tight and neither wheel will move. After a few miles, check the strap and it may need a wee snug up.

In this pic, I used two straps for the rear wheels fer fun.

SkooterG, N4HHE, Full House and 2 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Yep, what Ray said. I get away with one on the back but wrapped I've around the tire.
Hppants loved this
TimDog!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

OK - that settles it - I'll wrap the rear tire and call it good enough.

On my test run, I noticed that the strap was pulling on the exhaust and the rear peg set and wasn't thrilled about it. This seems more prudent.

I want to thank everyone that helped me with this. It will be nice having both bikes with me this summer.
bigjohnsd, blind squirrel, and gixxerjasen loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Ditto. The rear will walk sideways in the trailer as you go down the road. The rear ties are only there to keep it from walking sideways.

With the tugging rearward against front tugging forward if front ties failed the bike will fall. I tie dirtbikes at the footpegs, and my Kendon trailer's "rear" tie anchors are midship. For short hauls I usually skip the mid/rear ties.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Allright - I've got the bikes loaded for tomorrow's journey.

This time, got the back wheels straped down per Ray's instructions - much better all around.

I made a mistake last week in reporting - on the FJR - I mis-measured the fork compression with the straps tight. In actuality - I don't feel like they are "tight" until the forks are compressed 2 1/4" (TWO) - last week, I mistated it at 1 3/8".

If I loosen everything up, start over, and go to 1 1/2", I pull on the handlebars abruptly, I can see the front straps loosening a bit more than my liking.

I need some guidance from those who have trailered the FJR, and hook the straps on the lower triple claim.

How much do you compress your forks? Have you measured it to confirm that?

Obviously, I don't want to blow a fork seal.

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Hppants wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:58 am I need some guidance from those who have trailered the FJR, and hook the straps on the lower triple claim.
No more than half way
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

bigjohnsd wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:04 pm
Hppants wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:58 am I need some guidance from those who have trailered the FJR, and hook the straps on the lower triple claim.
No more than half way
OK - total unloaded measurement is 4 3/8". I pulled it down to 2 1/4. It's pretty tight. I'll do a test run this PM and see what it does.

With the wheel strapped as Ray suggest, when I loosen the front straps, between the rear wheel strap and the chock, the bike will stand up on its own. It wouldn't take much to tip it, though. I suppose at speed, it would fall for sure.

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by bigjohnsd »

Hppants wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:58 pm
bigjohnsd wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:04 pm
No more than half way
OK - total unloaded measurement is 4 3/8". I pulled it down to 2 1/4. It's pretty tight. I'll do a test run this PM and see what it does.

With the wheel strapped as Ray suggest, when I loosen the front straps, between the rear wheel strap and the chock, the bike will stand up on its own. It wouldn't take much to tip it, though. I suppose at speed, it would fall for sure.
Joey, I towed mine both on a trailer and in the back of my Ridgeline never had a strap come loose, never had a problem. Check it after a few miles and at each gas stop or pee break and don't worry. You'll be fine.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I was playing around with it just now - that bike would have to move a LOT for the strap to loosen enough for the S-hook to come out of the eye bolt. A lot.

Trailer tongue is just a smidge too high - about 3/4". The next size receiver drops it 2" - too much according to my level and I don't feel like shimming a long stem ball, or similar. I've got a decent amount of tongue weight on it. I know this because the receiver is not wobbling in the hitch.

I can't think of anything else to worry about - LOL.

Once I get a few miles down the road, I'll relax. Or I won't....
SkooterG, 0face, and bigjohnsd loved this

Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Yeah, you're stressing us out by stressing out about it. Just hit the gas pedal on the truck and unload the thing in Georgia. There is nothing to worry about!
SkooterG, Bugnatr, Hppants and 2 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

Make sure you stop after 10-15 minutes and check everything out, and also check everything each time you stop.
Hppants loved this
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Better not down too tight..... you're not going to blow a seal with that...... if you're ever worried about straps coming unhooked, wrap the extra strap ends around the hooks to keep 'em in there. EZPZ. Now drive!
Festus loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Hppants wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:31 pm

For the love of God... Don't forget your Fkn Purse ya Nancy.
SkooterG, BikerGeek, Hppants and 4 others loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

At least with 2 bikes on the trailer, the FJR has something to lean against if it tips left...

It's so much easier to get the soft loops around hard parts when the fairings are half gone...
wheatonFJR and bigjohnsd loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

Hppants wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:31 pm I was playing around with it just now - that bike would have to move a LOT for the strap to loosen enough for the S-hook to come out of the eye bolt. A lot.

Trailer tongue is just a smidge too high - about 3/4". The next size receiver drops it 2" - too much according to my level and I don't feel like shimming a long stem ball, or similar. I've got a decent amount of tongue weight on it. I know this because the receiver is not wobbling in the hitch.

If you had a Ram with a Hemi you'd be there yesterday. JSNS :lol:
wheatonFJR, BikerGeek, blind squirrel and 1 others loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Well - we made it without incident. I hit some pretty hard bumps along the way and the bikes didn't budge an inch. I think it would take a lot for them to come unhooked.

Moving on...
Full House, bigjohnsd, Bugnatr and 6 others loved this

Abercrombie FJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by Abercrombie FJR »

Holy shit buy some good cam or ratchet straps with safety latches on the hooks. I prefer cam lock because I can back up the cam with a safety knot where if a ratchet strap mechanism fails there is no way to tie a safety knot. Powertye.com has all the tie downs our tie down kits to put you at ease and not worry about the hook coming un-hooked or having to cinch it down so tight your worried about blowing a seal. Powertye has 15% off till the 9th. My Tenere endorsed the Powertye cam lock straps.
https://www.powertye.com/products/1-5in ... atch-hooks

Powertye cam lock straps Super Tenere tested and passed.
Last edited by Abercrombie FJR on Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SkooterG, CraigRegs, bigjohnsd and 3 others loved this
Have you done anything to improve your rider skills or knowledge lately?

2014 FJR, 2013 Super Tenere, 2019 Ducati Hypermotard 950SP, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, 2006 Ducati 999, 2018 Beta 500 RR-S, 2016 Scorpa 300, 2020 Yamaha WR250R.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Abercrombie FJR wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:11 pm Powertye cam lock straps Super Tenere tested and passed.
I'm not real smart, but I think the wheels go on the bottom.
SkooterG, Bugnatr, Full House and 2 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by bigjohnsd »

Abercrombie knows WTF he is talking about when it comes to securing motorcycles in/on a trailer.
CraigRegs loved this