What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

So I noticed on the 2013, when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, sometimes the bike doesn't end up in 3rd gear. I get stuck in 2nd unless I point my toe down and re-shift into 3rd. Obviously the toe of my boot is a little tall and is partially engaging the shift lever upwards before I shift. At that point, I'm unable to easily shift into the next gear until I point my toe down again and re-shift.

So out comes the service manual. How do you adjust the shift lever a little higher? Easy peasy. I loosened the lock nuts on the barrel of the shift rod and spun that baby until the shift lever started rising, There are to little marks on the metal near the shift lever. The final adjustment has to be between those marks. As I looked, my shift lever was adjusted near the bottom notch. I raised it to near the top notch and tightened the lock nuts back up on the barrel.

I just came back from a test ride, I never missed one shift. These kind of results make me very happy.
Hppants, Cav47, danh600 and 2 others loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I don't bother with the lever, just push the button. ;)
Cav47, mcatrophy, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Staged tire changing equipment - New (crappy) RS3's going on for SEO. Wheaton and his boat anchor(s) will be there, so I was almost tempted to leave the 7k mile set on but then decided I'd rather not roll the "IronPony Service Deptment on a Sunday" dice this trip...

Bike needs a bath first thought - the rain / sleet / snow mix left layer of filth that would give D-Eagle a stroke...
Spininprop, BikerGeek, Cav47 and 4 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:33 pm I don't bother with the lever, just push the button. ;)
Been there done that for many years. :D
mcatrophy and gixxerjasen loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:33 pm I don't bother with the lever, just push the button. ;)
Don't worry, you'll get a big boy bike one day :)
Cav47, FJRPittsburgh, and wheatonFJR loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I washed mine Sunday, after the slightly-overdue 25,000 mile oil/filter/FD fluid change.

I have a set of PR4GT’s in the garage, and I’m probably a month from finishing my RS3 rear tire. After gentle ridicule from Wayne on my disdain for the RS3 in the cool and wet, I’m considering trying another.

Two rear flats in a month and a slide out with the new rs3, (because I didn’t do the adult thing and scuff it up before sending it), didn’t help my picky superstitious tire predilection. Lol.
Cav47, FJRPittsburgh, and wheatonFJR loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

Rode home last night in the rain…opposed to rain and snow on the way to work the day before. Today, I left it in the garage and took the wife’s car to my FAA Physical. I guess I’m getting old. Eye test confirms it. How did that happen?
D-Eagle, FJRPittsburgh, and wheatonFJR loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

extrememarine wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:37 pm Staged tire changing equipment - New (crappy) RS3's going on for SEO. Wheaton and his boat anchor(s) will be there, so I was almost tempted to leave the 7k mile set on but then decided I'd rather not roll the "IronPony Service Deptment on a Sunday" dice this trip...

Bike needs a bath first thought - the rain / sleet / snow mix left layer of filth that would give D-Eagle a stroke...
My recommendation? Leave the 7k set on...you're due for an Iron Pony visit. Wash it? After Geek washes his...Whoop, there it is! Whoop, there it is...
PhilJet09 loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

PhilJet09 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:27 pm Rode home last night in the rain…opposed to rain and snow on the way to work the day before. Today, I left it in the garage and took the wife’s car to my FAA Physical. I guess I’m getting old. Eye test confirms it. How did that happen?
You didn't die. Consider yourself fortunate.
PhilJet09 loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:31 pm
PhilJet09 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:27 pm Rode home last night in the rain…opposed to rain and snow on the way to work the day before. Today, I left it in the garage and took the wife’s car to my FAA Physical. I guess I’m getting old. Eye test confirms it. How did that happen?
You didn't die. Consider yourself fortunate.
Excellent point! We should all remember that every day is a gift.
Last edited by PhilJet09 on Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugnatr and Hppants loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

FJRPittsburgh wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:17 pm So I noticed on the 2013, when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, sometimes the bike doesn't end up in 3rd gear. I get stuck in 2nd unless I point my toe down and re-shift into 3rd. Obviously the toe of my boot is a little tall and is partially engaging the shift lever upwards before I shift. At that point, I'm unable to easily shift into the next gear until I point my toe down again and re-shift.

So out comes the service manual. How do you adjust the shift lever a little higher? Easy peasy. I loosened the lock nuts on the barrel of the shift rod and spun that baby until the shift lever started rising, There are to little marks on the metal near the shift lever. The final adjustment has to be between those marks. As I looked, my shift lever was adjusted near the bottom notch. I raised it to near the top notch and tightened the lock nuts back up on the barrel.

I just came back from a test ride, I never missed one shift. These kind of results make me very happy.
I find a weak shift from 1 to 2 results in a missed shift to 3.
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

N4HHE wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:44 pm
FJRPittsburgh wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:17 pm So I noticed on the 2013, when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, sometimes the bike doesn't end up in 3rd gear. I get stuck in 2nd unless I point my toe down and re-shift into 3rd. Obviously the toe of my boot is a little tall and is partially engaging the shift lever upwards before I shift. At that point, I'm unable to easily shift into the next gear until I point my toe down again and re-shift.

I find a weak shift from 1 to 2 results in a missed shift to 3.
That's not been my experience. Raising the shift lever was my fix. I need to do the same shift lever adjustment to my 900GT.
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

The shifter adjustment should be where you need it, doesn't have to be between the two lines... really big boots might have you moving the shift arm one notch on the splines if you run out of adjustment.

One would be very wise to make a positive shift 1-2 to get it fully engaged. You want to minimize the wear on the 2nd gear dogs. One technique is to slightly preload the shifter just before you shift.

Also some FJR guys have replaced the shift arm with one off a certain year R1. It has a shorter throw.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

FJRPittsburgh wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:17 pmSo I noticed on the 2013, when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, sometimes the bike doesn't end up in 3rd gear. I get stuck in 2nd unless I point my toe down and re-shift into 3rd. Obviously the toe of my boot is a little tall and is partially engaging the shift lever upwards before I shift. At that point, I'm unable to easily shift into the next gear until I point my toe down again and re-shift.
So out comes the service manual. How do you adjust the shift lever a little higher? Easy peasy.
Riders,

Several bikes in my past have had heel-and-toe shifters. It took one ride for me to like that idea, but it did seem odd for a bit. Here is a DIY bolt-on (no drilling the bike) heel-and-toe shifter, if anybody would like it, too. Good mod, for damaged legs.
https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/heel- ... st-1313082

The R1 shifter linkage has a shorter throw arm, and that is a good deal also.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Installed the Givi Rack

Swapped the red cover on my Givi 46 top box with the black one. It looks pretty dog gone good.

Ordered:

- speedbleeders
- saddle bag reflective decals
- Seat bracket grommets (somehow they were missing)
- 90 degree valve stems
- tank protector decal
- Givi Tank Bag fitting
- Touch up Paint pen

I need to re-make my accessory wiring harness. The fuze block will be mounted under the pillion seat, as opposed to the rider's seat as it was on the '14. Therefore, I'm about 18" short on wiring. I ordered all of the electrical materials.

I got a list of "to dos" mechanically for the 2021. Over the next week, I'll be checking those off, one by one.

Retirement is fun!
Cav47, FJRPittsburgh, and N4HHE loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Pointed it towards the garage door. Got some packing completed. We'll see if Lucky is ready for 500+ miles of curvy Flat, straight, and boring roads on Thursday.
El Toro Joe, Spininprop, FJRPittsburgh and 1 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Prepped for SEO...Image

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

El Toro Joe, Bugnatr, FJRPittsburgh and 1 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Moved it over into the space vacated yesterday by the gixxus. Got room in the garage again to work on stuff.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Jeff,
You may want to look into getting the R1 shift arm. It is shorter and decreases the throw of the shifter. I'm sure a search would turn up the part number.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:34 pm Moved it over into the space vacated yesterday by the gixxus. Got room in the garage again to work on stuff.
Is the herd thinning out?
wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption