What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

I can't believe I've ridden 3 days in a row in Pittsburgh in February. I'm going to try to squeeze in another ride tomorrow to make it 4.
Last edited by FJRPittsburgh on Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boston, D-Eagle, John d and 3 others loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:51 pm
danh600 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:29 pm Weather was nice.
Went for a nice ride.
Went to Pisgah Covered Bridge.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisgah_Covered_Bridge

Decent roads to get there. It's the foothills not the mountains.

Seen along the way at a VFW out in the woods.

If you read the article. I have serious doubts about 90% of the bridge being reclaimed from the flood. The wood and construction looked newer to me.
But sometimes stories that aren't true should be. It got me there.

There is a nice small shaded park with picnic tables on the creek. Even a little trail. I think me and my wife will go there and have lunch and a hike soon while the weather is cool.

Cool little place.
Ah, over to my neck o' the woods, only about 10 more miles to a picture of the elephant statues at the entrance to the zoo & another 5 after that to my place.

If you guys enjoy some hiking we have several trails through federal lands to enjoy not far at all from where you were, Birkhead Mtn trails is a good place to start. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/nort ... tain-trail
Didn't realize you were that close.
NE from Monroe is our best riding for short trips.
Your area is prettier and a little more hilly than here.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Applied some Spec Tech tank grip pads and a big foot on the kickstand.
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Rode it to work this morning. Calling for 66 degrees here in central PA this afternoon. Think when I get home it might get washed.
D-Eagle loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Rode mine to the cigar shop yesterday
BkerChuck and D-Eagle loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

danh600 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:02 pm
D-Eagle wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:12 pm
extrememarine wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:23 pm I expected to hear the daintily soft 'beep, beep' of a G-Wing horn as you passed by as I wrenched on the FJR...

It wasn't so daintily soft when I mistakenly hit it by accident when I thought I was hitting the turn signal.
Scared the crap out of me.
My wife's Goldwing Valkryie has a horn that sounds like a truck horn. Also close to the turn signal and easy to hit.
Scares me every time I ride that bike.
If ya want horns, do what this dude did.

"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Please tell me he’s running those train horns illegally. I’d hate to think of him using them near rail crossings.
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

danh600 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:29 pm Weather was nice.
Went for a nice ride.
Went to Pisgah Covered Bridge.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisgah_Covered_Bridge

Decent roads to get there. It's the foothills not the mountains.

Seen along the way at a VFW out in the woods.

Covered bridge. Actually a better than average road for these parts getting there.

If you read the article. I have serious doubts about 90% of the bridge being reclaimed from the flood. The wood and construction looked newer to me.
But sometimes stories that aren't true should be. It got me there.

There is a nice small shaded park with picnic tables on the creek. Even a little trail. I think me and my wife will go there and have lunch and a hike soon while the weather is cool.

Cool little place.
I have been on a couple great trips where we were hunting for covered bridges. One was in PA the other in New England. Most would think that NE would have the most covering all the states but PA has 200 to their 100. New Hampshire has the longest. The Cornish-Windsor Covered Bridge in this photo is just about 450 feet long and just shy of 160 years old and you can ride across it!

Niehart, dcarver, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

I have been making the most of the nice weather in Upstate SC and WNC. Sure feels great to get out and that Spring is fast approaching. New rubber, fluids etc. and am "Ready To Rock" :lol: Time to plan some trips with friends as well to look forward to. Might try to ride Ohio's Windy 9 as I hear its pretty good. If anyone is from that area or has made the trip, it would be great to hear from you here.

I think this time of year in this area is great. Mid 60's or so is ideal in my opinion. You can gear up to be comfortable and of course be protected. No bugs is another great reason. Yesterday was 70 in the Upstate and 50 on the BR Parkway. Toasty the whole time with a mesh jacket and liner. The fact that they usually have much of the BRP closed off sucks a bit. That was the case yesterday and there was still a good bit of snow on the ground. No big deal really as there are plenty of other choices.

Love that I can see into the woods with the leaves down too, streams running, and horseshoe bends ahead. You see some pretty interesting places and things in them hills when the trees are bare as well :shock: Saw one sign it said, Howdy! Now Git! :)

Niehart, Cav47, El Toro Joe and 4 others loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

FJRPittsburgh wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:45 pm I can't believe I've ridden 3 days in a row in Pittsburgh in February. I'm going to try to squeeze in another ride tomorrow to make it 4.
Yep! Four days in a row of riding in Pittsburgh in February. The ride was around 2 hours. I'll probably allow the rain to end my streak today. So good to ride again.
Blueridgerider, El Toro Joe, and danh600 loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Some Progress last night...

- Fork service complete, ready for re-install.
- Steering head bearings serviced - cleaned, repacked, reinstalled. Bearing races cleaned - all old grease removed, new grease applied.
- Brake Pads on order (2mm of pad material or less on 3 of the front pad sets)
- Rear shock returning from service in NC - ETA Friday.

- checked weather forecast - rain, ice, sleet & snow coming. Of course...

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Niehart, Blueridgerider, FJRPittsburgh and 5 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

The way you've lowered those handlebars you're certainly going to be hugging the tank more and lowering the center of gravity.
Not sure how it's going to handle though.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

That would be the "Burt Munro" mode...
D-Eagle wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:48 am The way you've lowered those handlebars you're certainly going to be hugging the tank more and lowering the center of gravity.
El Toro Joe loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Their's a movie i need to watch again.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
D.F.I.U.N.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

extrememarine wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:42 pm That would be the "Burt Munro" mode...
D-Eagle wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:48 am The way you've lowered those handlebars you're certainly going to be hugging the tank more and lowering the center of gravity.
...Or Rollie Free if you had the balls to support your body by them on the rear fender.
boatanchor, 3rd class.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Temperature hit +10°C today (50 F). For the first time ever, I managed to get out for a ride in New Brunswick in the month of February. Couple of hours and around 140 km of rough, dirty and salty roads. Was wonderful. Hosed it off and put it away until the next opportunity - likely another month! (The F700GS is a little more tolerant of salt than the FJR.)

Niehart, Blueridgerider, Hppants and 5 others loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Tonight, I got the triple clamp back in the bike, forks installed, top clamp on, handlebars bolted back to the top clamp.

I had to turn up the music to drown out the freezing rain that was hitting the garage door...
Hppants, FJRPittsburgh, El Toro Joe and 2 others loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

extrememarine wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:51 pm I had to turn up the music to drown out the freezing rain that was hitting the garage door...
Are you sure that wasn't Brandon?

JSNS
El Toro Joe and extrememarine loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Spent the afternoon working on Vader...

Onlins is back from the spa and installed. Front brake hardware went for a swim in the sonic cleaner, new pads arrive tomorrow. Front wheel bearings in. Some abandoned Starcomm cables removed from Front fairing. New radar detector power cabling installed. Ground spiders cleaned, coated and sealed up. New spark plugs in.

Discovered the source of the hot coolant smell I was hunting for last year. Green seepage from thermostat housing. Spare housing retrieved from parts box, New thermostat ordered...

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Blueridgerider, El Toro Joe, Niehart and 3 others loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

Panman
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by Panman »

Well my five month odyssey to install a McCruise CC went backwards again today. I took the bike apart last October with the main objective to install a CC. It's been a grind as I had a set back with my wife falling and breaking her arm just above the elbow and a small fracture in her Pelvis the day I got home from La Pine for Rays deal. That's a lot of work cooking, cleaning, helping her to the toilet, showers, oh well it's what we do.
I knew it was going to be slow going as I had ordered a lumber package to put a covered walkway to the front door and a 4 X 6 compressor/generator shed on the back of the place thinking I'd be working that mostly in the September & October time frame. Managed to get the covered walk way done before the rains between the honey do's and even got the FJR on the lift and started the disassembly process.
By the end of October the wifey is tired of me being the nurse maid and the cast came off she started doing more. The November Storms hit and hit hard as we were without power five or six days and left me with a month worth of clean up. The yard is kinda big!
All the time I'm pecking a way at the install spending weekends helping my boy build a two story play shed for the grandkids and pecking away on the FJR and the Shed addition. Christmas comes and goes and I'm pecking away at the FJR and get it put back together so I call up George to come over and help me run the bike thru the McCruise check list and all goes well till we hit the starter and it's making noise but not turning. As Paul Harvey used to say "Now the rest of the story".
Along with wanting a CC I decide to find a later model set of Throttle Bodies as the 07's have a real stiff spring and I source one thru the Forms off an 2011. While I have the the TB's out a mouse told me to check to insure the Starter wasn't full of oil as that has been a source of starter issue's. Mine was perfect inside so I put it back together thinking all will be good. Well that wasn't the case, one of the field magnets came loose from the case and jammed the starter! Yep the bike had to come apart and waited for three weeks for another starter then put it back together again. I'm not liking the test procedures as it doesn't want to deaccelerate.
That was a couple of weeks ago and go to start it and it's doing the fast starter thing, I call it the self induced Fast Starter Thing as when ever I have been farkeling or valve checking anything where I have cycled the key a bunch to check a function it does it. No big deal open the throttle and still nothing! So pull the plugs an they seem dry and George suggested dropping a few drops of oil in each cylinder and so I did and the thing started so fast it scared me! I write McCruise a note tell them what I'm experiencing and they write back to go ride it. So I go out put a couple of hundred miles on it and it doesn't return. I think it's a bad servo but the bike is back on the lift and the tank is up again. I'm re-reading the instructions for all the cable routing as I'm mostly a box of rocks and real capable of messing things up.
On the bright side I did get the Shed completed with insulation, sheetrock, locking door and sided to match the building.
Hoping I can figure the CC out as I don't want to pull it all out as there's a lot of electrical to mess with and arthritis is messing with my right hand and have been getting cortisone shots every six moths in the thumb joint.
Full House and danh600 loved this