What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by rbentnail »

ice_station_zebra wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:33 pm Since I’ve got the fairings off I decided to put led bulbs in the turn signals. I already have them in the headlights. Looking for recommendations / links on which leds to use for the turn signals.

Another forum, this post -> https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/new-t ... st-1309244 describes what I used in the rear. Can't help with the front.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Rode to the new Buc-Ees in Athens, AL.
gixxerjasen and bill lumberg loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

For LED's, the brightest ones are from SuperbriteLED's. Each location/function may take a different bulb. Always get the colour to match the colour of the lens.
Rear signals as Russ says, those are Euro style base with a 15 degree offset on the pins.
Tail/brake I believe from memory are standard 2057 sockets.
Front signals, depending... if dual function signal/running lights, may be 2057, otherwise may be the Euro style.

Optional install load resistors for signals or get an electronic flasher that is good for both LED and incandescent.

If your signals are not running lights, you can convert them into it by wiring in a module on each from 12O'Clock labs. They run the signals at half voltage until signals come on. There are Chinese knock-offs of those modules, flashers too.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

raYzerman wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:29 pm For LED's, the brightest ones are from SuperbriteLED's. Each location/function may take a different bulb. Always get the colour to match the colour of the lens.
Rear signals as Russ says, those are Euro style base with a 15 degree offset on the pins.
Front signals, depending... if dual function signal/running lights, may be 2057, otherwise may be the Euro style.

Optional install load resistors for signals or get an electronic flasher that is good for both LED and incandescent.

If your signals are not running lights, you can convert them into it by wiring in a module on each from 12O'Clock labs. They run the signals at half voltage until signals come on. There are Chinese knock-offs of those modules, flashers too.
D-Eagle, ice station zebra, BikerGeek and 3 others loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I fueled at the Georgia Buccee’s Sunday morning. Drank a little coffee out of my thermos and never even went in. But I love me some Buccee’s.
N4HHE wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:57 pm Rode to the new Buc-Ees in Athens, AL.
Hppants, wheatonFJR, and N4HHE loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
Atrious
Squid
FJRModel: 2005 FJR 1300

Post by Atrious »

I rode in 34^0 F Temp, filled with fuel and continued on to work. I didn't see any Harleys on the road in a place that is 90% Harley riders. Funny how that is. The FJR is the ultimate all around street ride. I'm on the 1st gen and had no problems with wind. I'm glad I came back to the FJR family.
N4HHE, BkerChuck, and wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I am scheduled to get my bike, gear (including wool socks, heated gear/ helmet defogging shield insert) and day ride supplies (coffee thermos/protein/snacks) in launch position with an upcoming long day (dark to dark) up in the mountains planned.

With my short-term memory about shot, and day rides seemingly 3-4 weeks apart, this is a planned endeavor when the ride is about 400-450 miles long.
N4HHE and Festus loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Rode it to go chase Wheaton and 1911 around in the twisties. It was awesome. They are fast. But they were nice enough to wait at the turns for me.

So far this month, I’ve learned about the importance of kickstands, and of clutch levers. That’s even better than book learnin.
Festus, Hppants, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

Exercised the pistons for about 150 miles today. The weather was pretty good for my part of Canada today.
ice_station_zebra, wheatonFJR, bill lumberg and 1 others loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

John d wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:07 pm Exercised the pistons for about 150 miles today. The weather was pretty good for my part of Canada today.
I am hoping that weather is heading in my direction tomorrow. I would like to get out for one more ride this season.

I spent the day giving my nephew a hand (and lessons) with some maintenance stuff on his (BMW F800GS) bike. Ugliest brake fluid flush I have ever seen.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:06 pm Rode it to go chase Wheaton and 1911 around in the twisties. It was awesome. They are fast. But they were nice enough to wait at the turns for me.

So far this month, I’ve learned about the importance of kickstands, and of clutch levers. That’s even better than book learnin.
Rode it all damn day.

Lumberg is gracious enough to not mention that he SAVED my ass by noticing, as I was backing away from the Waffle House, that my bolt/pin at the clutch lever was unscrewed upwards almost all the way out of the connection. Evidently my locknut came loose and fell off. I would have been major league screwed if that pin came out. Lumberg saved the day without making a personal judgement.

Also, Lumberg is by far the fastest rider in our 3 rider group, jwilly-like.

Because of these fine gentleman, it was an awesome day. However, I think Lumberg face-palmed on one or three passes. In my defense, Lumberg put me in front. Not likely that happens again... Lol.

Anyways, 470 awesome mountain miles on a stock seat. No tickets, no ditch surfing, awesome weather and pavement, guffaws over the intercom, not bad for a late November ride.
Blueridgerider, Festus, rbentnail and 5 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by 1911 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:38 pm
bill lumberg wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:06 pm Rode it to go chase Wheaton and 1911 around in the twisties. It was awesome. They are fast. But they were nice enough to wait at the turns for me.

Rode it all damn day.

Lumberg is gracious enough to not mention that he SAVED my ass by noticing, as I was backing away from the Waffle House, that my bolt/pin at the clutch lever was unscrewed upwards almost all the way out of the connection. Evidently my locknut came loose and fell off. I would have been major league screwed if that pin came out. Lumberg saved the day without making a personal judgement.

Also, Lumberg is by far the fastest rider in our 3 rider group, jwilly-like.

Because of these fine gentleman, it was an awesome day. However, I think Lumberg face-palmed on one or three passes. In my defense, Lumberg put me in front. Not likely that happens again... Lol.

Anyways, 470 awesome mountain miles on a stock seat. No tickets, no ditch surfing, awesome weather and pavement, guffaws over the intercom, not bad for a late November ride.
A great all damn day ride, indeed. A much NEEDED all damn day ride. Thanks for putting this together Mark. Thanks Lee for helping with understanding weather forecasts and for doing the pre-flight on Wheaties machine. Going forward, those of us that ride with Wheat will have to do more than make sure his tires have enough rubber for the day.
N4HHE, Festus, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

LOL
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

One day, I'll ride twisties with Mark,, Duane, and Lee. In the meantime, me thinks that TODAY, I'll ride with a local friend.
wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:06 pm So far this month, I’ve learned about the importance of clutch levers.
Do tell, I've found myself getting along without one for a long time now just fine. ;)
YummYam, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:57 am
bill lumberg wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:06 pm So far this month, I’ve learned about the importance of clutch levers.
Do tell, I've found myself getting along without one for a long time now just fine. ;)
Yeah, but yours was made handicap friendly at the factory :)
gixxerjasen, HotRodZilla, and wheatonFJR loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
ice station zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008

Post by ice station zebra »

raYzerman wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:29 pm For LED's, the brightest ones are from SuperbriteLED's. Each location/function may take a different bulb. Always get the colour to match the colour of the lens.

Thanks Ray, but I think I'm going to pass on this upgrade! The OEM bulbs are good enough :roll:
John d, Road Runner, and N4HHE loved this
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition
1987 KLR 650 Thumper

Post by Road Runner »

Festus wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:00 am
gixxerjasen wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:57 am
Yeah, but yours was made handicap friendly at the factory :)
Not handicap friendly, but Advanced Edition (AE) :D
YummYam, FastPappy, gixxerjasen and 2 others loved this
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Weather yesterday was perfecto!! 54 degrees at meet time, 70 during the "heat" of the day, severe clear sunshine. 247 miles of smiles aboard the red beast with a local friend. Good fish tacos for lunch. Nice ride through the back country. 46 mpg for the day - I took it easy.

Another great day today - me thinks I'll go fishing.

Stay thirsty, my friends.....
HotRodZilla, gixxerjasen, El Toro Joe and 1 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

ice station zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008

Post by ice station zebra »

Cleaned and lubed the rear brake pedal. Boring, but the onset of shitty weather has caused me to dig deep with the maintenance!
HotRodZilla loved this