What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Cav47 »

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:17 pm Rode it to the office in a monsoon. Got a steeply discounted open-box helibridge in.

Undecided on whether I will install it, or whether I could even do the install without messing something up. :)
I un-installed mine a few months ago, certainly if I can do that, you can ace it.

The only “stressful” part was disconnecting the brake lines. I have a wild fear of brake fluid ruining paint.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Cav47 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:25 pm
bill lumberg wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:17 pm Rode it to the office in a monsoon. Got a steeply discounted open-box helibridge in.

Undecided on whether I will install it, or whether I could even do the install without messing something up. :)
I un-installed mine a few months ago, certainly if I can do that, you can ace it.

The only “stressful” part was disconnecting the brake lines. I have a wild fear of brake fluid ruining paint.
May I ask what you're going to do with that now..... I might know somebody looking for one. Asking for a friend.
bill lumberg loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Sorry Ray, already sold it awhile back.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Cav47 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:25 pm The only “stressful” part was disconnecting the brake lines. I have a wild fear of brake fluid ruining paint.
Keep an open bottle of rubbing alcohol handy, paper towels, and put a plastic grocery sack under your work. One of the worst things about working with brake fluid is getting it on your hands then leaving fingerprints in the paint.

Worst thing about installing the Helibridge is cutting Yamaha's cable guide off. Either that or disconnect all cables, wires, and hoses to thread through the cable guide (corrected spelling) when it is removed.
CollingsBob, Cav47, and Bugnatr loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I may back out of mine at some point, with advice from Josh about handling all the cable slack. But I’ll probably leave it on for the winter at least. By which time I’ll be accustomed to it and forget about it.

Today, I pulled the throttle cables loose a third time. First time, I didn’t get it around all the brake lines. Second time, I didn’t see that the brake extension was binding against the throttle cables. So, fixed that mistake.

Then, I realized that my mityvac wasn’t just for brake flushes. It might help me get the shitty, spongy feel out of my front lever (which has persisted since the extension install).

Voila! Front brake is back to normal.

I could f@$k up a brick. I have no business around mechanical stuff unless it’s powered by smokeless powder.
Last edited by bill lumberg on Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BikerGeek, HotRodZilla, Niehart and 1 others loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:00 pm I may back out of mine at some point, with advice from Josh about handling all the cable slack. But I’ll probably leave it on for the winter at least. By which time I’ll be accustomed to it and forget about it.

Today, I pulled the throttle cables loose a third time. First time, I didn’t get it around all the brake lines. Second time, I didn’t see that the brake extension was binding against the throttle cables. So, fixed that mistake.

Then, I realized that my mityvac wasn’t just for brake flushed. It might help me get the shitty, spongy feel out of my front lever (which has persisted since the extension install).

Voila! Front brake is back to normal.

I could f@$k up a brick. I have no business around mechanical stuff unless it’s powered by smokeless powder.
Amateur. I have fucked up a brick.

Stand back and watch me drop fasteners into my engine in a few weeks when I attempt to do a valve clearance check after Viking Saturday in the mountains has been run...
boatanchor, 3rd class.
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

I chained both bikes to their respective floor anchors..then covered them up for the winter.
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

CollingsBob wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:57 pm I chained both bikes to their respective floor anchors..then covered them up for the winter.
Man, that's a sad statement...

unless you're about to fire up the snowmobile!
Niehart, CollingsBob, and wheatonFJR loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

CollingsBob wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:57 pm I chained both bikes to their respective floor anchors..then covered them up for the winter.
No chains or floor anchors here (thankfully), but I topped off the fuel tanks on both bikes late last week. I will add Stabil tomorrow and run them for 10 minutes or so to get them fully warmed up and stabilizer throughout the fuel system. Then I will store the bags in the basement and disconnect the batteries. Might get out for another ride but it becomes less likely as each day passes. A thaw in late December or early January isn't impossible - as long as there is enough rain to rinse away the salt. I tell myself that I will do some work on the bikes during the winter but the reality is that it will most likely wait until riding season is on the horizon - sometime in March.

Currently, we have a snow/freezing rain/ice pellet weather warning for tomorrow afternoon and overnight... :cry:
CollingsBob loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Had i have had the bike out this year i would have been riding until last week. A good year by igloomikfuktuk standards.

I did pull the battery out and stuck it on my new trickle charger. My old faithful tender went poof last year.
bill lumberg loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
D.F.I.U.N.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

New battery...7 (almost 8) year old OE Yuasa finally gave up. Hour ride this afternoon confirmed all is good!

~G
Bugnatr, Blueridgerider, Hppants and 1 others loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

escapefjrtist wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:15 pm New battery...7 (almost 8) year old OE Yuasa finally gave up. Hour ride this afternoon confirmed all is good!

~G
Waiting to see how long my 12 year, 100,000 mile OEM will last. I figure it is pretty much done at this point. Resting voltage is alright and it starts the bike OK. Not much reserve capacity so I have to be careful about stuff like leaving the ignition on to keep the windshield elevated while washing the bike. Self discharge rate is enough to make for a difficult start after sitting idle for just a couple of weeks. I don't use a tender.

A new Yuasa in the spring, I think. While it might be OK for local rides, I would hesitate to trust it for a long haul ride somewhere. A jump start can save me in the event of accidently running the battery down but won't get me by a shorted (or open) cell. The higher self discharge rate is a concern...
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

The OEM batteries for the FJR are indeed impressive.
danh600 and HotRodZilla loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

ice station zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008

Post by ice station zebra »

Cleaned up the garage and got the bike up on the center stand. Getting ready to change the CCT with the green dot. I suppose I'll have to remove the tank which is always a pain disconnecting those clips...
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Rode it to the mountains Friday, to another state Saturday, and back home Sunday. Very cold. But my gear (and my thermos) made it work.

Washed it for the first time in a long time yesterday. Oil/filter/custom Preston Johnson FD fluid today.
Last edited by bill lumberg on Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spininprop, wheatonFJR, Blueridgerider and 1 others loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
YummYam
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2007 AE - 1960 Matchless G3 - 1974 Mk ll 850 Commando-1999 Triumph Thunderbird Sport

Post by YummYam »

Finished organizing the cave, with FJR and Commando easy to get out for riding in reasonable temps. Got the Matchless up on the new to me, pneumatically operated lift. Man, my old back is gonna love me now, that thing is awesomely awesome, like some very awesome thing.
danh600, BikerGeek, HotRodZilla and 1 others loved this
ice station zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008

Post by ice station zebra »

CCT day...removed the tank and panel and canyon cages to get at the cam chain cover.
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

escapefjrtist wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:15 pm New battery...7 (almost 8) year old OE Yuasa finally gave up. Hour ride this afternoon confirmed all is good!

~G
Almost 7 years with the OEM. Been on a Battery Tender and cranks like it should coming off that. If I forget it for a few days it seems to not have the power on first crank. Just that first draw when hitting the starter button. After I ride it a bit she cranks like new.

I think a new Yuasa will be on my winter project list just to be on the safe side. I have been stranded twice on motorcycle trips and each has a story of misery :shock: I just added for a fair price an Allstate road assistance policy which cover motorcycles. For about 14 bucks a month they will tow up to 100 miles and provides trip interruption of up to $1500.

No I am not an Allstate agent :D but figured I would pass it along in case anyone is interested. Not many policies include motorcycles that I know of. If it happens one time to you in the mountains in the middle of nowhere or on the side of i85 south on a 100 degree day with cars flying by you in the breakdown lane (I thought for sure this was the end of my life) you might consider having it. Hey its insurance right? You hope you never need it but its peace of mind knowing I have someone to bail me out if something happens.
HotRodZilla, YummYam, and bill lumberg loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
ice_station_zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008 FJR and 2012 Versys 650 (Tracer GT or Versys 1000 to come)

Post by ice_station_zebra »

Since I’ve got the fairings off I decided to put led bulbs in the turn signals. I already have them in the headlights. Looking for recommendations / links on which leds to use for the turn signals.
bill lumberg loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

ice_station_zebra wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:33 pm Since I’ve got the fairings off I decided to put led bulbs in the turn signals. I already have them in the headlights. Looking for recommendations / links on which leds to use for the turn signals.
You will have to get ones with a built-in resistor (or add a resistor to the circuit) or you will get a fast blink. I don't have any specific recommendations. Are you doing brake/running lights as well? Post your results if you find something that works well.