What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by N4HHE »

Spininprop wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:27 pm Yep, Road 5 are great, but totally agree about scallop and I have used increments from 38 to 42 front psi but could not find a pressure that they will not cup, scallop, or otherwise deform. But they are great in the dry or wet. So much so, ill go with them or road 6 when i need to replace the OEM junk. What I did find out was a trip to a few hours of warm twisty running would reshape them to the point they would not vibrate under braking.
Motorcycle tires will scallop no matter what tire pressure is used. They have to scallop because the tire profile is rounded. The distance from the outer edges of the contact patch is closer to the axle than the tread at the center of the contact patch. Yeah, when the tire is deformed carrying mass on the contact patch the distance to the axle is the same but the circumference of the tire at those points is not. Therefore for the distance the motorcycle travels parts of the tread go farther, parts go shorter. The contact patch must scrub for the wheel to roll.

When the contact patch scrubs tread blocks stretch and compresses. This is what causes the scalloping/feathering wear which repeats with the tread pattern. It is an art for the designer to minimize the appearance of scalloping with tread and carcass design.

This scrubbing affects the way the tire handles. New front tire feels neutral but near end of life it has to be forced into turns, or wants to fall into turns at low speed, different at high speed? Is all in how the tread developed its scallops.

Having said all that, a Bridgestone T31GT usually running 39 PSI is the only FJR front tire which I thought rode as good at 9500 miles as it did new. Went through a couple T30 Evo not-GT after that and didn't get 5000 miles from either and was glad to replace then. Cant get T31GT so I mounted a T32GT. So far so good.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Went for a relaxed post-hurricane ride. Some friends' communities got pummeled while we were relatively unscathed. I have mostly leaves and pine needles with 1 tree down but it fell the other way, away from everything, into the woods. It was a cooler ride, 62-ish and heavily clouded so no chance of warming up but a good ride none the less.
HotRodZilla loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

N4HHE wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:45 am
Spininprop wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:27 pm Yep, Road 5 are great, but totally agree about scallop and I have used increments from 38 to 42 front psi but could not find a pressure that they will not cup, scallop, or otherwise deform. But they are great in the dry or wet. So much so, ill go with them or road 6 when i need to replace the OEM junk. What I did find out was a trip to a few hours of warm twisty running would reshape them to the point they would not vibrate under braking.
Motorcycle tires will scallop no matter what tire pressure is used. They have to scallop because the tire profile is rounded. The distance from the outer edges of the contact patch is closer to the axle than the tread at the center of the contact patch. Yeah, when the tire is deformed carrying mass on the contact patch the distance to the axle is the same but the circumference of the tire at those points is not. Therefore for the distance the motorcycle travels parts of the tread go farther, parts go shorter. The contact patch must scrub for the wheel to roll.

When the contact patch scrubs tread blocks stretch and compresses. This is what causes the scalloping/feathering wear which repeats with the tread pattern. It is an art for the designer to minimize the appearance of scalloping with tread and carcass design.

This scrubbing affects the way the tire handles. New front tire feels neutral but near end of life it has to be forced into turns, or wants to fall into turns at low speed, different at high speed? Is all in how the tread developed its scallops.

Having said all that, a Bridgestone T31GT usually running 39 PSI is the only FJR front tire which I thought rode as good at 9500 miles as it did new. Went through a couple T30 Evo not-GT after that and didn't get 5000 miles from either and was glad to replace then. Cant get T31GT so I mounted a T32GT. So far so good.
While I understand the science behind this, in practicality, I disagree. On my bike, on the roads I ride, no matter how hard I ride them, or how hard I load them, the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 front tire set dutifully at 40 psi cold, will hold its original shape (in so far as it can be measured, observed, or felt) until the cords start showing. Now, that (the cords showing) will start happening LONG before 9,500 miles for me (about 6,500), but the tire will not scallop. I suspect the stiff sidewalls have something to do with it, but cannot state empirically so.

Every single Michelin I've tired (PR2, PR3, PR4, PR4GT, Road 5, Road 5GT) will eventually scallop under the same conditions. The PR2 was the best, and without a shadow of a doubt, the Road 5 is the absolute worst.

The OEM Bridgestone (B023, I believe) started scalloping on the ride home from the dealer, me things. What a POS that tire is.
Spininprop loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Hppants wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:08 am While I understand the science behind this, in practicality, I disagree. On my bike, on the roads I ride, no matter how hard I ride them, or how hard I load them, the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 front tire set dutifully at 40 psi cold, will hold its original shape (in so far as it can be measured, observed, or felt) until the cords start showing. Now, that (the cords showing) will start happening LONG before 9,500 miles for me (about 6,500), but the tire will not scallop. I suspect the stiff sidewalls have something to do with it, but cannot state empirically so.
I think if you run your hand over the tread you will feel the scalloping that can't be seen.

Shinko 016 is a heavy tire with very thick sidewalls. At any pressure it scallops like a bucket of ice cream on the self-serve buffet bar.

T30's are nothing to scoff at for thick sidewalls either, but they too scallop.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Put new tires on. It was not pleasant.

Of note- the top left front caliper bolt was galled beyond belief for a ‘22.

I noticed one bolt from the front fender so loose it was in danger of falling out. The other three were loose as well, just not visibly so.

The 24 hour recheck revealed that I failed to retighten the rear axle pinch bolt.
PhilJet09 and wheatonFJR loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

Waxed and added tank slapper film to the head lights. More film to add later. And thanks to lumberg, I'm checking my bolts torque... :>)
wheatonFJR loved this
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:18 pm Put new tires on. It was not pleasant.

I noticed one bolt from the front fender so loose it was in danger of falling out. The other three were loose as well, just not visibly so.

The 24 hour recheck revealed that I failed to retighten the rear axle pinch bolt.
It a good thing that you did your own work and found those things. Doing your own work, best practice from someone who knows diddly -0 try to do things in the same order and same way every time. It becomes muscle memory. 2nd- don't be doing stuff last minute before your two week trip or IBR run.
bigjohnsd and HotRodZilla loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
YummYam
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2007 AE - 1960 Matchless G3 - 1974 Mk ll 850 Commando-1999 Triumph Thunderbird Sport

Post by YummYam »

Finally finished getting the new battery installed. What’s the big deal about installing a new battery in a Gen II, I hear you say. Well, not much usually, having personally done it at least three times to date. But problems occur if, like stoopid dumbass me, you order the wrong damn battery from that well known online South American river company and then find it is non returnable, so potentially some $90 plus down the shitter right there.

Replacement battery was around quarter inch wider than standard with no cutaway in the top for the two part clamp assembly which therefore can’t be used.
Anyroadup, with the help of four cable ties, a loop of steel rod and a hell of a lot of Anglo Saxon cuss words, job is done and lesson is learned.

Sometimes, when they say, ‘this does not fit 2007 FJR 1300’, they’re right!
bigjohnsd, BikerGeek, and HotRodZilla loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:36 pm
bill lumberg wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:18 pm Put new tires on. It was not pleasant.

It a good thing that you did your own work and found those things. Doing your own work, best practice from someone who knows diddly -0 try to do things in the same order and same way every time. It becomes muscle memory. 2nd- don't be doing stuff last minute before your two week trip or IBR run.
Complain to your dealer..... his "tech" installed all that stuff when they got the bike out of the crate... and the windshield, mirrors and dash trim. Betcha your mirror nuts are loose (under the dash trim).
Is the galling bad enough to need a new caliper?
wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I don’t think a new caliper is necessary.

As for the mirrors and dash, I’ve already had all that stuff apart. Everything was fine, except two screws were missing from the dash.

I have new mirror extensions arriving Friday. Tried to get by without them, but they are a game changer.

Since I’ve switched to running 1” riser blocks on the 2022, rather than a helibridge, I can’t use my barkbuster storm handguards. I’m certainly going to miss them when it gets cold.
raYzerman wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:42 pm

Complain to your dealer..... his "tech" installed all that stuff when they got the bike out of the crate... and the windshield, mirrors and dash trim. Betcha your mirror nuts are loose (under the dash trim).
raYzerman loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

bill lumberg wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:27 am I don’t think a new caliper is necessary.

As for the mirrors and dash, I’ve already had all that stuff apart. Everything was fine, except two screws were missing from the dash.

I have new mirror extensions arriving Friday. Tried to get by without them, but they are a game changer.

Since I’ve switched to running 1” riser blocks on the 2022, rather than a helibridge, I can’t use my barkbuster storm handguards. I’m certainly going to miss them when it gets cold.

Lee,
Are the Vstrom hand guards not compatible with the new bikes? Mine work nicely on my 15. They are not protective like the Barkbusters, but, that was not the goal for a street bike. I think mine are 14-16 Vstrom guards. I do have a Helibridge though.
Ed
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Tomorrow the FJR is getting a full tank of non ethanol fuel and a bath. Then it goes night night for the winter.

For those of you who don't read the What I did to my dual sport today, please read this.

Recently I called Procycle and talked with Mike. I decided to make the DR more useful so I ordered a 19" wheel and a 17" wheel which will be shod with Shinko 705's a 70/30 tire. Also ordered the Cogent DDC drop in front fork cartridge. The plan is to ride the DR on the rough county roads I ride rather than the FJR as the DR well suited for these roads but not with knobby tires. The FJR just isn't at home and not in is element on rough roads south of Spokane.

Three days ago the wheels arrive so I mounted them, I mean I put them on the bike.

So now I have 400 miles on DR with the new rims / tires. It is simply fantastic. I love this set up for it's intended purpose. I rode 220 miles today and came home feeling refreshed and ready for more. The weight reduction accounts for this. The DR weighs 360 and with my ass it still weighs less than the FJR. It handles very well and this upgrade is exceeding my expectations. Just wow. Plus I have room for my legs and my hips didn't ache today as they often do in the more compact FJR cockpit.

So with what time I have left this year I will be riding the DR. A big smile was on my face today.
Last edited by fontanaman on Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PhilJet09, wheatonFJR, El Toro Joe and 3 others loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Unpacked the bike from my tech day trip.

Reset tank bag and collateral gear required for upcoming RTE at casa de doublewide - aka Wheaton's Group Ride and Cookout. 1500 miles in three days should be a good way to wrap up the season...
Niehart, wheatonFJR, BikerGeek and 1 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

I'm doing the same as fontanaman. I'm going to siphon the year old treated gas out and throw it in Lines Toyota. Then refill with treated Shell super. The battery will get removed, then it will get shoved back to the back of the shed to make room for the snow blower.
bigjohnsd and fontanaman loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
D.F.I.U.N.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

bungie4 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:10 pm I'm doing the same as fontanaman. I'm going to siphon the year old treated gas out and throw it in Lines Toyota. Then refill with treated Shell super. The battery will get removed, then it will get shoved back to the back of the shed to make room for the snow blower.
I'm hoping for another six weeks before I have to do that.
John d loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

FJRoss wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:55 am
bungie4 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:10 pm I'm doing the same as fontanaman. I'm going to siphon the year old treated gas out and throw it in Lines Toyota. Then refill with treated Shell super. The battery will get removed, then it will get shoved back to the back of the shed to make room for the snow blower.
I'm hoping for another six weeks before I have to do that.
No big deal. I have 0 miles on for the season. But the stupid thing still cost me a full tank of fresh gas.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
D.F.I.U.N.
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

Took my first exploratory BRP foliage ride yesterday to break in the Dunlop Roadmax IV's. Just about a perfect day in many ways. It was a beautiful fall day and there is nothing like the feel of new rubber on your bike and was really enjoying how the bike just fell into the turns. After roughly 250 of mountain riding they were scuffed up good. The color was sporadic as you would expect early in October but at 5,000 feet it was definitely changing. Even at lower elevations there was some color as well especially along streams etc. The hurricane did not seem to mess up the trees at all in WNC but man its dry in that area, not much soaking rain in a long while. Looks to be a good year for the turning leaves. Here are a few photos of a great day.

Niehart, gixxerjasen, Festus and 1 others loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

I like that angle.
Spininprop loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
D.F.I.U.N.
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

Found one of the push pins on the right trim that you remove to install battery missing. So I'm sure the dealer forgot it. I had some and installed. I went through checking for others and torque.

bill lumberg wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:27 am I don’t think a new caliper is necessary.

Last edited by Spininprop on Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

extrememarine wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:35 pm Unpacked the bike from my tech day trip.

Reset tank bag and collateral gear required for upcoming RTE at casa de doublewide - aka Wheaton's Group Ride and Cookout. 1500 miles in three days should be a good way to wrap up the season...
Looking forward to this!

Are you bringing that slacker Joe with you? He never shows.
bill lumberg, danh600, and extrememarine loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.