What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by N4HHE »

60 miles round trip for an ice cream cone! My longest ride since COVID 2 weeks ago.

Tried 4 days ago and only got 12 miles from home before turning around.
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

After 7 hours+ and I95 traffic, made it home with the 2022 FJR-ES. Received a good trade in on my 2016 and did the deal. Now, waiting for the side bags like everyone else. Wouldn't be so bad as I have my Wolfman expedition bag, but... things don't go so well if you don't secure the drybag to your bike before hallin ass home 360 miles. Yep, reached back to make sure the bag was there and it wasn't.

Circled back 10 mile up and down rt 1 in North Caroline and actually found it, along a left turn lane. Good thing too as it contained all the paperwork from my recent purchase. So I turned around and stopped in the left turn lane, walk past a few cars that had concerned drivers, picked up my bag, strapped it on my bike and headed, again, for home. geez, my made in America Wolfman (now made in china) had multiple holes in it not to mentioned getting run over.

Even my sneakers sole on one shoe must have been dragged as it is worn off. Now in search of another drybag, but I've got a bike that needs all my "farkles" put back on, but not before a wash, polish, and wax tomorrow. Life is good.
BkerChuck, extrememarine, BikerGeek and 8 others loved this
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Just wanted to wash off Halle and go for a quick dry off ride to prevent spotting on some places that are hard to chamois off. Rolling south on Indiana 63 about 15 miles from home and I feel a little wiggle/wobble/vibration/sound from the bike.

I know immediately as I start to move over in the lane to find a side road. I got a flat because the steering feels like a truck. I get pulled into a really safe place and can barely get the side stand down. My back tire is flat flat. I have the stuff to fix it, I just have to find the hole.

Here she is. Looks like I picked up a roofing nail/cap and it came out. That might explain the rapid deflation.
The tire was hot and there was enough gravel and debris on the road to make it hard to find.

I tried one string and it just came out when I pulled the tool out.
I tried 2 strings and it seems to work.

I called Pants while the pump went to work. Got it up to 32 psi and that would be good enough for the 15 mile slow ride home.
Temps were low 70s and just beautiful. If we was gonna have a flat, we how was the place to have it.

I think my battery is getting a little weak. The inflator ran it down a little before I turned the engine on.

Prob time for a new battery since this is the (2015) original. 7 years and 73k miles seems like a reasonable lifespan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Niehart, Toter, Hppants and 4 others loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

TPMS gives early warning. Had you been happily cruising along then dived into an interesting turn, things could have gotten too interesting. I’m in the habit of glancing at TPMS before diving into a turn. Feel like it has saved me a few times.
FjrVfr
Contributor
FJRModel: 2012

Post by FjrVfr »

Spininprop wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:14 pm ... made it home with the 2022 FJR-ES.
Congratulations Hugh! I know that machine will have a great life. Sorry to hear about the Wolfman.

All that said and I'm still gonna have to call BS. If there's no pics, it didn't happen...
BikerGeek loved this
"Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

I did some small maintenance and fixed an issue I created. Haha!

1st, I just changed the air filter. Easy enough. Then, I re-bled the rear brakes. Here's why:

Before EOM, my bike needed some maintenance. I changed the oil, did the clutch fluid and bled the brakes. My youngest helped me and SHE did a great job. Me, on the other hand, I had my head somewhere dark and forgot about the rear reservoir. I got bad info from the youngest who did not realize fluid should have been pushing from the open front reservoir. Until I took a look, I didn't realize something was wrong. By the time I opened the rear reservoir, it was empty and was sucking on the rubber boot inside. As soon as I pulled it off. I heard a shit load of air being sucked into the rear system.

Sort of panicked, I filled the dammed thing and watched as bubbles popped out. That went on for a while. I tapped the lines hoping to knock stuff loose. Then I bled the rear caliper and pushed out a bunch of small air bubbles. Dinner was ready, so we got the rear pedal pressed and held down until we came back. Once things cleared up, I closed it up and pressure was fine. I had good brakes and the front link also worked, so I didn't tempt fate. I rode to and from EOM without issue, but I was concerned that my rear ABS maybe wasn't working. I only tried it a couple times, but with weight on the back, it did not want to lock up. I didn't know if this was due to air, a bad ABS block or just bad conditions.

So, today, I took things apart, re-bled the front's linked nipple and got some very small bubbles out. I did the rear and if any air came out, it was crazy small. There's always the possibility that those small streams were coming from the hose connection to the nipple. Great pressure, so I took it for a test ride. We live on a gravel road, so easy to test the ABS. The rear was fully functional and I activated the abs front and rear 10x easily.

So, thankfully, all issues are fixed. It is better to work on the bike when I am focused on what I'm doing instead of 5 different things. Sheesh! That could have gone ugly!

Thankfully, again!!
BkerChuck, BikerGeek, Hppants and 5 others loved this
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

Something I find that really helps when flushing brake lines is to spread the caliper then pump the pads back into the rotor. When the caliper is spread (with worn pads) a massive amount of brake fluid is pushed up in one continuous flow. Pumping with the brake lever produces very small volume flow which allows bubbles to return to their original position between each pump.

Also lets remember one is supposed to finish the brake flush with the pads spread else the reservoir will be over filled when you spread the caliper again to install new pads.
Spininprop and Hppants loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

N4HHE wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:42 pm Something I find that really helps when flushing brake lines is to spread the caliper then pump the pads back into the rotor. ....
I've never heard that suggestion, but can certainly understand its effectiveness, especially if you are bleeding a system that has been opened. Thanks for that tip!
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

I always bleed with calipers on the bike, pads in. I may have retracted pistons to spread the pads to clear the rotors.... once bled, yes to not overfilling above the line, a little below is OK. Pump the brakes to get the pads back to the rotors.
HotRodZilla loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

raYzerman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:58 pm Pump the brakes to get the pads back to the rotors.
Important step here. :roll:
El Toro Joe and HotRodZilla loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

After about 2 1/2 months of ignorance, I:

1. Disconnected the battery tender.
2. Turned the key on.
3. Hit the start button and .... you guessed it.... she roared to life.

Let her idle until the cooling fans cycled a couple of times. Snapped the throttle 3 or 4 times in bonified squid fashion just to hear her sing.

Well... I guess I'm ready to go to Arkansas next week!

One could infer that there are some things the FJR doesn't do as well as others. But reliability is NOT one of them.

Stay thirsty, my friends.....
Niehart, fontanaman, El Toro Joe and 2 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Today, I ran a wire and mount for my Garmin XT, so I can now use it with either the FJR or the DR. While in there, I cleaned up the rats nest.

Looks good!

Changed the oil/filter, and aired up the tires. Ready for some Arkansas twisties!!
El Toro Joe, HotRodZilla, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this

extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Reinstalled my CeeBailey Windshield. It made a little detour south after EOM before returning to Michigan.

:)
BikerGeek, El Toro Joe, bungie4 and 1 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

I spent the last 3 days in NE Oregon riding the best roads in the Pacific Northwest. Yesterday I was mentally tired from experiencing so many turns. Seriously. It is just fabulous riding in NE Oregon. These roads will keep you engaged with the bike and let you know you are alive.

Today I road 330 miles home on one tank of gas. Why would I do that? A good tail wind from Pendleton Oregon to Spokane Washington made it possible plus I wanted to arrive in Spokane with an near empty tank so I could fill it with non ethanol fuel. I haven't filled the tank yet so I don't know the mpg but I rode 48 miles on reserve. So say I used 6 gallons that works out to 55 mpg. Not too shabby for FJR.
Last edited by fontanaman on Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cav47, Full House, gixxerjasen and 3 others loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

extrememarine wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:27 pm Reinstalled my CeeBailey Windshield. It made a little detour south after EOM before returning to Michigan.

I was wondering who was traveling with a spare windshield
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
D.F.I.U.N.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

bungie4 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:20 am
extrememarine wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:27 pm Reinstalled my CeeBailey Windshield. It made a little detour south after EOM before returning to Michigan.

I was wondering who was traveling with a spare windshield
And how you would do such a thing.
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

He wasn't.... HMFWIC's bike went home a bit naked......
HotRodZilla, El Toro Joe, and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

My bags came in weeks ago. Yours shouldn’t be long.

Glad you recovered your bag.
Spininprop wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:14 pm After 7 hours+ and I95 traffic, made it home with the 2022 FJR-ES. Received a good trade in on my 2016 and did the deal. Now, waiting for the side bags like everyone else. Wouldn't be so bad as I have my Wolfman expedition bag, but... things don't go so well if you don't secure the drybag to your bike before hallin ass home 360 miles. Yep, reached back to make sure the bag was there and it wasn't.

Circled back 10 mile up and down rt 1 in North Caroline and actually found it, along a left turn lane. Good thing too as it contained all the paperwork from my recent purchase. So I turned around and stopped in the left turn lane, walk past a few cars that had concerned drivers, picked up my bag, strapped it on my bike and headed, again, for home. geez, my made in America Wolfman (now made in china) had multiple holes in it not to mentioned getting run over.

Even my sneakers sole on one shoe must have been dragged as it is worn off. Now in search of another drybag, but I've got a bike that needs all my "farkles" put back on, but not before a wash, polish, and wax tomorrow. Life is good.
wheatonFJR loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Put a set of real-time reflectives on the new bags.

At about $47 off normal price, caved and ordered a heated seat cover from warmnsafe.

I’m trying to decide which direction to go with my mirrors. I need to either order another set of sw motech mirror extenders, or order another set a bases for my saeng quick scan mirrors. Can’t see anything behind me right now.

Since I switched from helis to 1” blocks, storm handguards won’t fit (clearance). I may revisit the factory knuckle visors. Giving up helis caused problems. :)
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

Thanks. I'm more glad the bag didn't cause a traffic issue. It's nice the dealer is shipping me the bags for free too.

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:29 pm My bags came in weeks ago. Yours shouldn’t be long.

Glad you recovered your bag.
Spininprop wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:14 pm After 7 hours+ and I95 traffic, made it home with the 2022 FJR-ES. Received a good trade in on my 2016 and did the deal. Now, waiting for the side bags like everyone else. Wouldn't be so bad as I have my Wolfman expedition bag, but... things don't go so well if you don't secure the drybag to your bike before hallin ass home 360 miles. Yep, reached back to make sure the bag was there and it wasn't.

BkerChuck loved this
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded