What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by CollingsBob »

I lubed the clutch lever pivot points and bought a small bottle of DOT4 fluid, tomorrow I’ll bleed the clutch.

My plan is to ride the bike this weekend.
FJRoss loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

CollingsBob wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:13 pm I lubed the clutch lever pivot points and bought a small bottle of DOT4 fluid, tomorrow I’ll bleed the clutch.

Not bleeding the brakes at the same time?
Good luck on your first ride, post accident!
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

FJRoss wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:17 pm
CollingsBob wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:13 pm I lubed the clutch lever pivot points and bought a small bottle of DOT4 fluid, tomorrow I’ll bleed the clutch.

Not bleeding the brakes at the same time?
Good luck on your first ride, post accident!
I might..and thanks.
HotRodZilla loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Rode it to Hyder Alaska today. Here is an pic of the FJR at the Hyder Post Office.

Bear Glacier. In 2001 it reached the water's edge.

When I got here the idea of taking a tour bus to the Salmon Glacier evaporated due to low cloud cover.

Unknown glacier)snowfield just north of Bear Glacier. The lighting in this photo is nice.

Heading to Terrance BC tomorrow. Expecting rain and poor weather for the next two days. Grrrrr.
Niehart, Hppants, bungie4 and 4 others loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Replaced my large V-Stream windshield with a barn door Cee Bailey I was lucky enough to pick up from another member. The V-Stream is ok but I'm riding some lomger distance interstates next week and could use some better coverage.
CollingsBob and fontanaman loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Jim - I agree with the others. You need your own calendar!! Ride on, my friend.
fontanaman loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Had to get out today...but kept it short as Louanne wasn't feeling the best. I made sure she was fine before I left.

75 minutes from the doublewide to the BRP. Enjoyed the adrenaline rush, the curves, the scenery.

No accidents, no tickets, all's well that ends well! :mrgreen:
1911, CollingsBob, Full House and 4 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

The forecast for Terrace BC for Saturday and Sunday:

I got up this morning and stared at the forecast. Went across the street to get breakfast where I struck a conversation with the hostess. I said my plan was to go to Terrace BC and her response was the place is sketchy. I replied saying I spent the night in Houston BC and she said it with emphasis it was sketchy too.

This conversation was put the axe into the idea of going to Terrace BC.

So instead I rode from Stewart BC to Prince George BC a 435 mile 700 km ride. Did it in 7:45 hours. Not bad. Stopped 5 minutes for a train and actually got off the bike. Stopped for gas once didn't get off the bike. The Russell saddle is awesome.

The pavement on Hwy 16 in BC is great but is certainly not twisty. I bet the first mile of the Tail of the Dragon is more twisty than all the miles I rode on Hwy 16 today.

With the Destination Hwy BC in hand I am going to finish this trip in style on the best twisty highways between Prince George BC and Spokane Wa.

Hwy 16 in BC is the equivalent of driving in the desert only you are in a hall of green trees with mountains in the far far distance. Not my cup of tea.

Oh yeah today I rediscovered what the FJR excels at. Munchin miles with ease in complete comfort.
Last edited by fontanaman on Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HotRodZilla, Niehart, CollingsBob and 5 others loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Got Renee up on the HF lift today. Really struggling with the usefulness of this lift. It's too narrow to ride a big bike up onto it, unless you have a chock that grabs the bike, or another body to help. I have the chock, but once in that, you can't put the bike on the centerstand. FJR doesn't have a good jacking point for a small scissor jack, other than on the exhaust. Same with the GS. Problem is, all the way down the lift is 7" high. Ok. Oil changes, check. Brake pads, check Brake/clutch bleed, don't know. Too high I think. Tires front or rear, no. Valves on GS, yes, FJR, no. Final drive/driveshaft service, not that I can see. What am I missing here? Oh, BTW, swapped around some pads in front brakes and cleaned pins, springs, etc. Figured out I need a new front tire. Down to wear bars on each side, but center isn't even flat. 6,059 mi. FJR with my Mui-jumbo carcass is one tire eating mutha. Another Angel GT A-spec on the way. Help me see the value in this HF lift table, I'm not seeing it.
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Toter wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:23 pm Help me see the value in this HF lift table, I'm not seeing it.
I think your vision is 20/20.

I jack my FJR using a home made wood tool. Imagine the top half of the letter H. One side of the H aligns with the oil drain plug the other a protustion on the side opposite of the drain plug. Perhaps this would make the HF table more useful?
wheatonFJR loved this
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

An old pic, but this is how I do it.

CollingsBob and gixxerjasen loved this
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

fontanaman wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:01 pm
Toter wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:23 pm Help me see the value in this HF lift table, I'm not seeing it.
I think your vision is 20/20.

I jack my FJR using a home made wood tool. Imagine the top half of the letter H. One side of the H aligns with the oil drain plug the other a protustion on the side opposite of the drain plug. Perhaps this would make the HF table more useful?
Me too. I like that better than using the exhaust pipes.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

I left Prince George at 9:00 am and road in rain for one hour and landed in Princeton BC at 5:30 pm with blue skies. Put the FJR to good use again today munching miles with ease. Hit some very nice roads today with 5A between Merritt and Princeton being the highlight. A very smooth well paved road with several idyllic lakes in a narrow canyon. Extremely scenic. Nice to be back in southern BC again. Wonderful day.
Niehart, Hppants, CollingsBob and 2 others loved this
justacrossthehill
Squid
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A

Post by justacrossthehill »

Toter wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:23 pm Got Renee up on the HF lift today. Really struggling with the usefulness of this lift. It's too narrow to ride a big bike up onto it, unless you have a chock that grabs the bike, or another body to help. I have the chock, but once in that, you can't put the bike on the centerstand. FJR doesn't have a good jacking point for a small scissor jack, other than on the exhaust. Same with the GS. Problem is, all the way down the lift is 7" high. Ok. Oil changes, check. Brake pads, check Brake/clutch bleed, don't know. Too high I think. Tires front or rear, no. Valves on GS, yes, FJR, no. Final drive/driveshaft service, not that I can see. What am I missing here? Oh, BTW, swapped around some pads in front brakes and cleaned pins, springs, etc. Figured out I need a new front tire. Down to wear bars on each side, but center isn't even flat. 6,059 mi. FJR with my Mui-jumbo carcass is one tire eating mutha. Another Angel GT A-spec on the way. Help me see the value in this HF lift table, I'm not seeing it.
I agree 100%. I put a Condor chock on my HF lift. It and a scissor jack are worth their weight in gold for the Road King but for the FJR, there just isn't a lot you can do with it that I'm seeing.
ice station zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008

Post by ice station zebra »

Finished editing a video I shot last week on the one day it didn't rain. Subject is the much talked about (not sure why?) 21 mile Elephant Lake Road / Peterson Road up in the Haliburton Highlands. Sample of video accompanied by some spaghetti western inspired rock music background. Best viewed 720p ... 1080 breaks up for some reason. Hoping to master this GoPro video stuff in time for EOM!

Niehart, bungie4, CollingsBob and 1 others loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Lots of roads talked up on the Highlands loop are mundane. But there's a few good'uns
ice station zebra loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
D.F.I.U.N.
Boston
FJRModel: 2005 FJR1300 2001 Roadstar

Post by Boston »

New tires Saturday and brake in. Only thing left to do is pack for the trip. Ma. to Fla. to WV. :)
wheatonFJR loved this
IBA# 76760
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Boston wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:47 pm New tires Saturday and brake in. Only thing left to do is pack for the trip. Ma. to Fla. to WV. :)
Only FJR riders ride from Massachusetts to West Virginia by way of Florida. :lol:
BikerGeek, danh600, and wheatonFJR loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Installed Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0 headlight LED bulbs. Gonna ride a little after dark to align and check out the light throw. Stay tuned! Started setting things aside for a road trip. Central NC, Roanoke, VA; Cooperstown, NY. I've always to see the MLB Hall of Fame but never have. Got 3 folks coming along- 2 driving, me & another riding.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

After spending a pleasant night in Princeston BC, a very nice little town, I rode the FJR home today riding ipavement in N. Central Washington that is the antithesis of Route 16 in BC, meaning I actually had to make turns, use the brakes, watch for potholes, gravel on the roads and accelerate out of turns.

Beaver Lake along the Chesaw Road.

Last edited by fontanaman on Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ice station zebra, Niehart, escapefjrtist and 3 others loved this